Forever and Always

Thanks for the comments. :)

one hundred and sixty-one

Despite Brax’s best efforts at trying to get Emmi to crawl, she made it to 9 months old and still hadn’t mastered how to do it. For the last couple of days she’d been doing this funny bum shuffle to get around, much to the amusement of Georgia. The older kids were all at school and Brax was hanging out with Emmi in the living room. “Right Emmi boo,” Brax lifted Emmi up in front of him, her little feet on the ground as she stared at him, Brax holding onto her arms to keep her steady. “If we are not going to crawl then how about walking?” Brax questioned.

“Aaa,” Emmi gave a babble as she looked behind Brax as her mother walked into the room, Charlie dressed in her police uniform, it going to be her first day back at work since Emmi’s birth. “Eee.” She started bouncing, clearly excited to see her mummy as she got a big grin on her face.

“Hey sweetie,” Charlie cooed down at her daughter. “What’s daddy trying to get you to do now?” Charlie questioned.

“If she’s not crawling then she is walking,” Brax answered. “Isn’t that right Pickles?” Brax said, glancing back at Emmi, her big green eyes all wide as she grinned at him. “See I think she likes the idea of walking.”

“Remember she has only just turned 9 months old,” Charlie said. “That’s young for a kid to be walking.”

“Well she’s not just any kid, is she?” Brax questioned. “She’s our little genius baby.”

“Are you sure?” Charlie didn’t sound too convinced. “She still has trouble crawling.”

“Charlotte,” Brax gasped. “Did you just call our daughter dumb?” Brax sounded most shocked at his wife.

“No,” Charlie answered. “I just said she’s still not crawling so might be a while before she can walk,” Charlie said, glancing at her watch, seeing she really needed to leave if she was going to get to work on time. “Aww Emmi boo mummy needs to leave for work,” Charlie sounded upset as she lifted Emmi up into a hug. “I wish I could take you with me.” Charlie murmured as she placed a soft kiss on her cheek.

“You could always phone in sick and hang with us today,” Brax said as Charlie put Emmi back on the ground. Emmi got onto all fours before she pushed herself up to standing. She hovered for a moment before she fell backwards, Brax catching her before she hit the ground. “See she is going to be walking soon. She just stood up all by herself.”

“Good job baby,” Charlie beamed as she ruffled Emmi’s hair. Emmi giving a squeal of delight. “But no steps till mummy get’s home. Assisted or not, okay?” Charlie questioned, Emmi staring up at her mother with an open mouthed grin on her face.

“So you are going to work?” Brax gave a sad pout.

“I have too,” Charlie told him. “It’s my first day back. I can’t call in sick already.”

“Well maybe you should just come and work for me.” Brax said. It was something they’d talked about before, Brax loving the idea of Charlie coming to work at his restaurant. He made no secret of the fact he didn’t like the element of danger to her job as a police officer and felt especially now they had young kids, she shouldn’t have to risk her life to work.

“Brax,” Charlie sighed lightly. “I love being a police officer,” Charlie told him. “I need to go but I’ll see you later.” Charlie said, leaning down and placing a kiss on Emmi’s cheek before she kissed Brax’s.

“Be safe.” Brax told her as she left the house, feeling both nervous and excited for her first day back at work.

April and James were in the hospital room, April at her 35 week check-up. “So, how we feeling today?” Rosie questioned as April pushed herself up onto the bed, James taking a seat next to her.

“Ready,” April answered. “This last month always seems the hardest for me and I’ve already got two little ones so, you know,” April raised her eyebrows as Rosie put some gloves on before reaching for the gel. “I just want to meet him now.”

“Oh I’m sure this next month will fly by.” Rosie said, squeezing some gel onto April’s stomach, April always flinching at the cold gel hitting her.

“Nah we still need time to get Leo ready to be a big brother,” James said. “He doesn’t like his little cousin,” James gave a little laugh as he looked to Rosie. “Jealous little bugger.”

“Aww bless but maybe he’ll be different with a new little brother.” Rosie said, looking to the screen to see that everything was okay with the baby.

“What? You’re kidding aren’t you?” James stifled a laugh. “He’s going to be even more jealous. This baby will be in mummy and daddy’s arms way more than Jessica is.”

James waited for a reply from Rosie but got a little worried when she went quiet, looking at the computer screen with pursed lips. “Can you excuse me for a moment?” Rosie said before making an exit from the room. James looked to April who looked terrified.

“I’m sure it’s nothing.” James cleared his throat.

“Jay what....” April couldn’t talk. She put her hand onto her stomach, getting it covered in gel, but she didn’t care. She couldn’t feel the baby moving but he usually was one to always fall asleep right at scan times. “Something’s wrong.” April sounded like she was about to cry as her eyes blurred with tears.

“No no,” James had to believe everything would be okay. “It’s not, it’s...” James stopped talking as Rosie came back into the room, with a male doctor. He walked round to the screen with her, looking down at it as Rosie pointed to the screen before looking to the doctor and talking so quietly, James and April couldn’t hear her. “What’s this about?” James felt his heart beating ten to the dozen. “What’s -”

“Congratulations, it’s twins.” The doctor said, April opening her mouth in shock as James gasped.

“What?” James questioned. “But it’s one baby,” James said. “It’s always been one baby. How can....how can you miss twins?” James said, staring at a shocked looking April before looking to Rosie.

“Baby B doesn’t have much room,” He clicked a few things as his eyes stayed on the screen. “Your son is taking up most of the space and the position in which the second baby is laying could easily allow for him to be missed.”

“Clearly,” James squeaked. “Twins, are you....are you sure?”

“Positive.” The doctor nodded.

“But how could you miss that at all the scans we’ve had?” James was aware April wasn’t talking. He looked to her to see she looked frozen with shock.

“After 12 weeks, if we only see one baby we tend to stop looking for more,” Rosie exhaled. “And I....I’m newly qualified so I guess I....I didn’t think to keep checking, I...” Rosie paused. “But its two babies,” Rosie smiled. “That’s got to be good news, right?”

“But we’re not prepared, we.....” James trailed off completely shocked at the very unexpected news they just received.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one hundred and sixty-two

Brax ran down the corridor of the hospital, Emmi bouncing in his arms. “Daddy,” Georgia moaned from behind him. She was running as fast as she could but there was no way she was keeping up with her father. “Daddy,” Georgia frowned as she tried to catch up. Brax turned around and ran back to Georgia, pulling her up and keeping a hold of her with one arm as Emmi was being held in the other. “Why we rushing?”

“We need to check on mummy,” Brax told her, a lot of worry in his voice as he ran to the reception desk. “Braxton. Charlie Braxton she was brought in about twenty minutes ago.” Brax was talking quickly, of course worried for his wife.

“And you are?” The receptionist asked.

“I’m her husband,” Brax shouted. “Where is my wife?” Georgia widened her eyes in shocked at her daddy’s shouting.

“She’s in surgery,” The receptionist told him. “Now if you’d like to go and wait in there -” The receptionist stopped talking as Brax ran off towards the lifts.

“C’mon,” Brax muttered, still holding both girls in his arms. He shook his body impatiently before finally the lift pinged open. He shot inside told Georgia to hit the floor 7 button, Brax not having a free hand to do so. He rushed out as soon as the lift opened, Emmi dropping hippo teddy from her grasp.

“Daddy,” Georgia shrieked. “You need to get hippo.” Georgia pointed back to the purple hippo teddy as it sat on the floor outside the lift, Emmi already whining without her beloved hippo.

“Bloody hippo.” Brax muttered as he ran back and bent down, Georgia scooping hippo up and handing it to Emmi, just in time to stop her screaming. He ran over to the surgery reception desk and once again, asked for his wife.

“If you’d like to take a seat, Mr Braxton,” The receptionist told him. “We’ll get someone to come and talk to you as soon as we can.”

Brax let out a put off air, his nostrils flaring as he looked angry that no one would tell him what was going on. He walked over to the seats and sat down, placing Emmi on his knee and Georgia down on the seat next to him. “Brax.” Georgie walked over to him with a coffee cup in her hand.

“Georgie, what’s going on?” Brax had been called by an officer to say Charlie had been hurt and was taken to hospital but he knew nothing else. “Why is she in surgery?”

Georgie took a deep breath before glancing to Georgia. “You want to go play over there?” Georgie questioned, pointing over to the small play area that was in the waiting room for small children. Georgia shook her head before turning to look up at Brax.

“Go on.” Brax rubbed her back before pushing her down from the chair. Georgia ran over to the play area and started playing.

Brax looked back to Georgie. She took another deep breath before taking a seat next to Brax, Emmi staring up at her as she held hippo tightly in her grasp. “She was shot.” Georgie told him, bracing herself for Brax to yell at her.

“Constable Watson?” A youngish looking doctor walked over to them.

“I’m Brax,” Brax introduced himself as he stood up, passing Emmi to Georgie. Georgie sat her on her knee, looking down to the baby as she stared at her, Emmi’s big green eyes all wide as she looked rather unsure about being in Georgie’s arms. “Charlie’s husband.”

“I see,” The woman gave a curt nod. “I’m Dr Oliver. We have our trauma team working on your wife.”

“How is she? What’s happening?” Brax questioned, feeling his heart beating through his chest. His hands were getting sweaty with worry for his wife’s condition.

“She received a gunshot to the chest,” Dr Oliver said. “Her lung collapsed and she lost a lot of blood.” Dr Oliver glanced behind Brax to Emmi before looking back to Brax.

“But she’s going to be okay, right?” Brax questioned, his hand running through his hair. It had slowly stared to grow back over the last couple of months, now he was finished his treatment.

“We’re doing everything that we can,” Dr Oliver assured him. “As soon as she is stable we’ll come and get you.” Dr Oliver said, before she turned and walked away. Brax sighed as he looked back down to Georgie.

Georgie looked up at him, once again expecting him to yell at her. “Why wasn’t she wearing a vest?” Brax questioned. “You have bulletproof vests, you should wear them.”

“As far as we were aware it was just a.....” Georgie paused. “We didn’t expect it to turn into what it did. We just went to question him and...” Georgie looked like she was going to cry. “I’m sorry.”

“You are supposed to be her partner,” Brax said. “I...” He stopped talking as he shook his head and walked over to the play area. He lifted Georgia up into his arms and hugged her tightly as tears fell from his eyes.

April and James didn’t have much time to get their heads round the news they were having twins as she went into labour later that morning. Just 7 hours later, Caden William arrived, a little jaundice but other than that he was perfectly healthy, despite being 5 weeks early. Just 6 minutes after Caden was born, the tiny Mia Victoria shot out and was rushed straight to the NICU. Her lungs weren’t fully developed so she needed some help and would of course be there till she was strong enough to breathe on her own. After getting a little rest following the labour, James wheeled April down to the NICU so she could get a proper look at her daughter. After clearing it with the nurse, it was fine for them to take Caden down to the NICU with them. April was cradling Caden in her arms, the little boy the double of baby Leo, Caden clearly taking after his father and big brother in the looks department. Mia looked like Finn did when he was a baby, with big brown eyes and the littlest wisp of dark hair, their little girl looking so much like her oldest brother and mother. “I wish I could have had a cuddle before they took her away,” April kept a hold of Caden with one arm as she rested her other hand against the side of the incubator. “My little girl,” April felt a tear rolling down her cheek. “We have a little girl.” April sounded over the moon, but with three sons then a gorgeous little girl, James couldn’t blame her, as he too was thrilled with his daughter.

“Mr and Mrs King,” April and James looked around as they heard a voice. “I’m Kate. One of the nurses who will be looking after this little one,” Kate smiled down at Mia before she looked to Caden. “That’s a handsome little guy you’ve got there too.” Kate leaned down and cupped Caden’s head.

“Thanks.” April smiled up at her daughters nurse. Kate gave April a smile, seeing she was still tearing up.

“Now I know this is all a bit overwhelming,” Kate rubbed April’s shoulder as she spoke. “But little Mia is in the best care,” Kate told her. “You’re twins will be back together in no time.”

“We only found out she was having twins this morning. Not long after she went into labour,” James said. “And including this little man,” James gestured to Caden. “We’ve got three boys and we finally get a little girl and she’s in here....” James let out a puff of air as he trailed off. “You need to.....you’ll look after her, right?”

“Besides from not being able to breathe on her own she is very healthy.” Kate assured the young parents.

“Breathing is pretty mandatory though,” April sounded nervous as she spoke. “If she can’t breathe on her own then she’s not going to be here, is she?” April questioned, her heart breaking as she looked at her tiny baby daughter, looking like the CPAP machine - which was there to help her breath - was drowning her.

“She’ll learn,” Kate assured her. “Now I know you’ll be dying for a cuddle but right now it’s important we wait a little longer but I’m sure hugs from this little cutie will keep you going for now,” Kate said, once again smiling down at Caden who was falling asleep in his mother’s arms. She watched mother and son for a moment before looking to James. “We’ll I’ll leave you for now but will be back later.” Kate said, leaving the family to bond with their newborn babies.

Thank you. :)

one hundred and sixty-three

Charlie’s surgery had gone well. Apart from the collapsed lung, no other major organs were damaged and she was now in recovery in the ICU. Bianca had come to get the girls and had taken them back to her place, the boys having been there since after school. Brax was sitting by her bed, his hand holding tightly onto hers. “Mr Braxton.” Brax looked up as Dr Oliver walked into the room. He watched as she looked at the IV line before jotting something down on her file.

“Is she okay?” Brax questioned.

“She’s fine,” Dr Oliver answered. “She’s been lucky. But if I had a husband as gorgeous as you and two adorable little girls I woudn’t want to leave this earth either.” Dr Oliver said, giving Brax a smile.

“Three girls,” Brax told her. “We’ve got three girls and two boys.”

“Well then all the more reasons to stick around.” Dr Oliver said.

“The surgery nurse said that she still has the bullet inside her,” Brax said. “Does she need more surgery to remove it?” Brax wondered.

“No,” Dr Oliver answered. “The bullet fragments were removed but it is actually safer to keep the bullet inside your wife,” Dr Oliver said. “It won’t cause her any harm or complications in the future,” Dr Oliver told him. “Well maybe it’ll cause bother trying to get through airport security,” Dr Oliver joked and Brax gave a little laugh, thankful the mood had been lightened a little. “Now you look like you need to get some rest,” Dr Oliver said. “So you should go home, be with your kids.”

“I don’t want to leave her.” Brax answered.

“Well then at least go get something to eat and drink,” Dr Oliver said. “The last thing Charlotte needs is you fainting from hunger.” Dr Oliver stifled a laugh.

“Okay,” Brax gave a little nod. “I guess a quick bite won’t hurt. She is sleeping,” Brax ran his thumb over her hand as he spoke. “But if she wakes you’ll come for me, right?”

“Of course.” Dr Oliver nodded. Brax stared at Charlie for a moment before he stood up and leaned his head down, kissing her forehead before he left the room and made his way to the hospital canteen. He took a tray from the rack and walked over to the selection of food on offer.

“Looks awful huh?” Brax looked around to see James next to him.

“Yeah,” Brax took a sandwich from the shelf. “What you doing here?” Brax wondered.

“April had the babies.” James answered a grin on his face.

“Babies?” Brax wondered if he’d heard right. As far as he was aware, April was only having one baby.

“Yeah it was twins,” James told him. “Caden arrived first, all good and healthy. Mia is in NICU though.”

“You got a daughter,” Brax gave a weak smile. Of course he was happy for April and James but he was still worried for his wife. “Congratulations mate.”

“Thanks,” James smiled as he took a sandwich from the shelf. “What about you? What are you doing here?”

“Charlie was shot,” Brax told him, taking a deep breath. “She’s going to be okay but it’s still....you know it’s...” Brax shook his head as he took a drink and put it onto his tray.

“God,” James exhaled. “Brax, I....if you need anything.”

Brax stifled a laugh. “I think you’ll be a bit busy with your newborn twins but thanks,” Brax smiled at James as they walked over to pay for their food and drinks. “Actually, you could tell me if you know where Evan was taking Rubes this weekend,” Brax said. “I’ve tried to get in touch with the both of them all afternoon but no one is answering.” Brax of course needing to tell Ruby what had happened with her mother.

“I dunno,” James answered. Evan surprised Ruby with the weekend away, so no one knew where they were actually going. They took a seat at a free table, Brax opening his can of soda and taking a drink. “You’ll get her eventually.” James opened his sandwich and took a bite.

“I hope so.” Brax exhaled, hoping that Ruby would call soon enough.

Bianca had taken the boys to see their new brother and sister. Kaya was much annoyed that she had to stay home with Heath and Jessica, but Bianca assured her that she would come first thing in the morning. Finn and Leo walked into the room, Finn holding a little powder pink rabbit teddy and Leo was clutching onto a soft blue one. “Where is Mia?” Finn questioned as he saw only one cot, in which his new baby brother was laying.

“Hey baby.” April smiled at Finn as James lifted him up onto the bed so he could give his mummy a cuddle.

“My sister, where is my sister?” Finn questioned.

“She’s in a special baby ward right now,” James told him. “She needs a little bit help to breath.”

“Oh,” Finn scratched his head. “I still want to see her.”

“We’ll take you later,” April told her son. Smiling at Leo as James also lifted him up onto the bed. He looked into the cot, his little face furrowing before he looked to April and cuddled into her. “Hey little buddy did you bring this for Caden?” April questioned, trying to take the teddy from his grasp. Leo squealed as he held it tightly against him.

“No.” Leo moaned, not about to let go of the teddy any time soon.

“Congratulations April,” Bianca leaned down and kissed her sisters cheek before they hugged. “He is so like Leo,” Bianca said, glancing into the cot, smiling down at her nephew. “Aren’t you, you handsome little man.” Bianca lifted Caden into her arms, placing a soft kiss on his cheek.

“It’s unreal how much he looks like Leo,” James said, looking to Leo as he looked at his daddy as he heard his name. “Huh little bro what do you think of your baby brother?” James questioned, lifting Leo into his arms. Leo looked down to Caden once again as he scrunched his face up and shook his head, hiding his face with the little bunny teddy, meant for Caden. “This is supposed to be for him I think.” James said, trying to take it from Leo’s grasp but Leo was holding onto it rather tightly.

“It is, daddy,” Finn told him. “And I got this one for Mia. Please can we go see Mia?” Finn pleaded.

“Don’t you want to see Caden first?” April questioned, running her hand over Finn’s head. Of course she’d love to go see her daughter but she also had a new son to think about as well.

“No,” Finn answered. “I already got a brother. I just want to see my sister,” Finn sighed, holding the powder pink rabbit up for April to see. “I want to give her this.”

“Well I supposed we can take everyone down,” James said, lifting Finn from the bed, Finn jumping up and down excitedly as he hit the floor. “I’ll just get the wheelchair for you.” James said, April giving a little groan. She didn’t need a wheelchair and was perfectly capable of walking but knew that it was hospital policy so could hardly argue it. She looked at Finn who was jumping around, singing about going to see his baby sister before looking to Leo, who was staring at Bianca with Caden, his eyebrows furrowed, knowing it wasn’t going to be easy getting Leo to be the helpful big brother.

Ruby and Evan walked back into the hotel room, having been out all afternoon and evening, the couple deciding to have a ‘technology free’ day, both of them leaving their phones behind when they’d gone out earlier. They’d had a lovely dinner in a very expensive French restaurant that sat over the marina, but Evan said it was worth it and of course, he had inherited a lot of his dad’s money, so it wasn’t like they couldn’t afford it. “You know, I’ve not actually missed my phone,” Ruby said as she threw her bag down onto the chair. “It’s been nice to not have that distraction and concentrate solely on my gorgeous man.” Ruby raised her eyebrows as Evan grinned at her.

“So, let’s do no phones all weekend then,” Evan suggested. “Let’s turn them off and put them back in our suitcase. No distractions, just me and you all weekend,” Evan said, taking Ruby’s hand and walking over to the drawer where they’d decided to leave their phones. Evan opened the drawer and lifted the phones out, pushing the button to go to switch it off, but saw he had a missed call and text from James and a lot of missed calls and a voicemail from Brax. He opened the text message and read it. “Oh my gosh April had twins,” Evan shrieked. “Caden and Mia.”

“Wow,” Ruby was a little shocked. April did look a little bigger this time but they all just put it down to being her third pregnancy considering all the scans only told them she was having one baby. “I’m so pleased she got a little girl,” Ruby grinned. “But so much for not looking at your phone.” Ruby raised her eyebrows as she lifted her phone from the drawer, of course not able to resist taking a look herself.

“No, you are right, let’s not look.” Evan tried to take Ruby’s phone from her but she shrugged away, holding her hand out to stop him from getting.

“Wait. I have like a million missed calls from Brax,” Ruby’s heart started to beat faster, immediate worry hitting her. “Something clearly isn’t right.” Ruby said, pushing the button on her phone to call him back, her heart pounding through her chest as she listened to the rings, waiting for Brax to pick up.

Thank you all so much :)

one hundred and sixty-four

“Kaya,” Heath shouted at her. “How many times do I need to tell you not to play out front with Bella?” Heath questioned. “What if she gets out the garden and hops onto the road?” Heath asked. “You want to eat rabbit stew for dinner?”

“No,” Kaya gasped as she covered Bella’s ears, like she could understand what Heath was saying. “Don’t be mean. We won’t eat Bella.”

“Then take her out back,” Heath instructed. Kaya glared angrily up at him but Heath was only looking out for his daughter and her bunny, of course not wanting Bella to get run over, leaving Kaya distraught. “Go on.” Heath said, Kaya sighing as she picked up Bella and walked back into the house, mumbling something as she walked over to the back door and going into the back garden instead.

“What’s gave her that attitude?” Bianca walked down the hall, Jessica sitting contently in her mother’s arms, her little hand gripping onto Bianca’s hair.

“She was playing with Bella out front again,” Heath said. “It’s too close to the road for my liking.” Heath pulled Jessica’s little hand from being grasped around her mother’s hair.

“Well she’ll need to put Bella back in her hutch anyways because we’re going to the hospital.” Bianca said, putting Jessica down on the ground. Jessica pouted up at her mother for a moment before she went off for a little crawl, making her way to the toy box.

“Who are we visiting first?” Heath questioned, of course having both April and the babies and Charlie to visit right now.

“April and the babies,” Bianca told him. “I think Kaya would throw a fit otherwise,” Bianca exhaled. “And I’m not sure Charlie can have visitors that are not family yet.”

“I’m her brother-in-law,” Heath said, pulling a face of confusion. “I am family.”

“I mean immediate family,” Bianca replied. “We are not her husband or kids,” Bianca glanced to Jessica who was pulling at everything in the toy box. “Go tell Kaya we are leaving,” Bianca instructed before walking over to Jessica, lifting her up into her arms. “Right my little bumblebee are you ready to come see Aunty April and your new baby cousins?” Bianca questioned. Jessica babbling in response to her mother. “Yeah that’s nice,” Bianca replied to her daughter like Jessica was understanding and replying to her. “We’ll go see Caden and Mia then we’ll get some lunch and maybe we’ll get to see Auntie Charlie too.” Bianca told her youngest.

“Mum,” Kaya walked back into the house, Heath following after her. “Can I be the first to hold Mia?” Kaya questioned. “Dad said I can’t hold her.” Kaya huffed as she folded her arms across her chest.

“Dad is right,” Bianca told her oldest. “She’s in the NICU so she can’t be held by anyone. Not even April.”

Kaya frowned. “Well Caden then, can I hold him first?” Kaya asked, just excited to go see the new babies.

“Well that’s up to April and James.” Bianca told her, knowing of course they’d say it was fine for Kaya to hold him, but Bianca felt like teasing her daughter a little.

“Ahhh.” Kaya frowned as she marched over to the door, opening it and running over to the car, telling her parents to hurry up, wanting to get to the hospital to see her new baby cousins.

Brax was by Charlie’s bedside. She’d been awake for a small amount of time. “Did you....” Charlie took a breath before looking to the side. Brax picked up the jug of water and poured her a glass. She took a long drink before putting the glass back on the bedside table. “Did you call Ruby?” Charlie wondered.

“Yeah, she was here with you most of last night,” Brax told her. “She’ll be bringing the kids in soon,” Brax said, glancing at the clock on the wall, actually expecting her to have arrived by now, but didn’t mind she was a little later than the said time, of course Brax happy for some more alone time with his wife. “You had me really scared for a moment.” Brax said, squeezing her hand in his.

“It’ll take more than a little gunshot to get rid of me.” Charlie spoke quietly, her breathing loud as she looked at Brax, a little grin forming on her face.

“Charlie it’s not funny,” Brax answered. “I....this is the second time you’ve been shot now,” Brax said. “Remember when you were pregnant with Georgia you were grazed with a bullet and now this one actually hit you real good and you had to get surgery and your lung collapsed,” Brax said. “We could have lost you.” Brax sounded terrified even at the thought of losing his wife.

“But you didn’t,” Charlie answered. “I’m okay. I’m still here.” Charlie reached for more water, not able to get rid of the dry feeling in her mouth.

“Babe I... you’d only been back at work one day since Emmi and I.....not even one day. Like half a shift and you got shot,” Brax exhaled, this thumb and index finger rolling his wedding band around his finger. “That proves how dangerous this job is and I -”

“Brax,” Charlie stopped him, knowing what he was about to say. “I’m not going to stop being a police officer.”

“I want you to come and work with me at the restaurant,” Brax said, seemingly ignoring Charlie’s comment. “There’s a lot less risk and you can still be around for me and the kids.”

“Brax you could walk out there and get hit by a car and die,” Charlie said. “You’ve just had bloody cancer for goodness sake,” Charlie raised her voice, although now she was only talking normally. “Anything can happen to you at anytime.”

“But there is more risk with your job,” Brax exhaled. “I don’t want to lose you and I don’t want the kids to grow up without their mother. Please just say you’ll consider it.”

“You married me knowing this was my job,” Charlie said. She opened her mouth to talk again but stopped as the door opened and Ruby and the kids walked in, Daniel carrying some flowers as Kobe was holding a box of chocolates. Georgia had some homemade cards in her hands as Ruby was carrying Emmi, Emmi clutching tightly onto hippo. “Hey babies.” Charlie smiled as the kids gathered around her, not aware of the tension they’d just walked into.

Leo had finally let go of the little blue bunny teddy, James leaving it with April for Caden when they’d left the night before. Mia’s teddy was sitting on top of her incubator, ready for her when she was strong enough. After Bianca, Heath and the kids had visited April and the babies, they went to the canteen to get a bit to eat then they would go to see if they could visit Charlie. Kaya had decided she wasn’t hungry and stayed with her Auntie and Uncle, baby Caden still in her arms as she grinned lovingly at him. “You have such cute babies Auntie April.” Kaya said, her eyes never leaving Caden.

“Thank you cupcake.” April smiled at her niece.

“Do you think my mum and dad will ever have a baby boy?” Kaya questioned. “I’d really like a little brother.”

“I don’t know.” April answered as Leo was laying on her knee, cuddling into April, acting very much the baby as he frowned every time he looked at Caden.

“I hope so,” Kaya replied. “Just one more baby that’s a little boy.”

“Kaya,” Finn grinned up at his big cousin. “I got a sister, a real baby sister called Mia.” Finn sounded so excited that he had a little sister. He’d wished for one for so long and now she was here he was going to tell anyone, any chance he got.

“Yeah I saw her,” Kaya said, the family having taken a trip to the NICU to see little Mia. “She looks just like you.” Kaya told him, Finn getting a big grin on his face, obviously delighted at Kaya’s comment.

“Yeah,” Finn cheered. “Like me and mummy but Caden looks like daddy and Leo.” Finn said, pointing to Leo who was still cuddling into April. “He doesn’t like the babies.” Finn informed her. “I like them. But Mia the most best.”

“You should like them all the same,” Kaya told him. “Ay Auntie April?”

“I’m sure he will once he can get into mischief with his brother.” April stifled a laugh as she rubbed Leo’s back.

“And Mia,” Finn said. “She will with us too.”

“Oh no,” April shook her head. “She’s my little lady. She won’t be running wild with you boys.” April said, already dreaming of fun mother daughter days with her gorgeous little girl when she was old enough.

Thank you Kristen.

one hundred and sixty-five

Three days after the twins’ birth, April and Caden were discharged from the hospital. April felt a little bittersweet about the whole thing; of course glad that she and Caden could go home to the rest of their family but sad because she had to leave Mia behind. She knew it was what was best for Mia but all the same, she didn’t like it. “Mamma,” Leo’s little face lit up as she walked into the house, James walking in behind her with the car seat. “Mamma.” Leo held his hands up and April lifted him into a hug.

“Hey love,” Olive gave April a hug, Leo whining, letting them know he didn’t appreciate being squashed. “Congratulations again. He’s a little cutie.” Olive pulled back and looked into the car seat as James put it down on the coffee table.

“Mummy,” Finn gasped as he ran over to her, his hands going on her leg. “Where is Mia?” Finn looked a worried, like his parents had forgotten her.

“Remember we told you she had to stay at the hospital,” April told him as she took a seat on the couch, Leo staying on her knee and cuddling into her. Finn frowned as he went back to playing with his Lego’s as James lifted Caden from the car seat. “Leo sweetie you need to let mummy feed Caden.” April told him, lifting him from her knee so she could feed her new son.

“No,” Leo moaned as he crawled back onto her knee, looking at Caden with a look of disdain. “Me.” Leo said, cuddling into April.

“C’mon sweetie.” Olive lifted Leo from April’s knee, Leo giving a scream as he started kicking his arms and legs out.

“Mamma.” Leo cried.

April felt awful but she needed to feed Caden. “Aww baby you can have cuddles with mummy soon but she needs to feed Caden first.”

“C’mon you come help Gamma get drinks and biscuits for everyone.” Olive said, taking a screaming Leo out of the room.

“He hates us both now,” April sighed as she got herself ready before taking Caden from James, Caden immediately latching on and taking his feed. “Sorry your brothers don’t see interested in you baby,” April spoke softly as she looked down to her son as he fed. “That’ll change, I promise.”

“Of course it will,” James said, his hand rubbing April’s arm. “And he doesn’t hate you. Little bro is crazy obsessed with you. You’re his mamma and he loves you more than anything,” James assured her before glancing out at Finn who was busy with his Lego’s. “Can you believe we have four aged 5 and under though?” James sounded a little terrified.

“Never mind four 5 and under,” April squeaked. “We’ve got three under 2,” April widened her eyes. “Make that 18 months and under,” April said. “Twins,” April sounded shocked. “I still can’t believe it.”

“Me either,” James said, his hand cupping Caden’s head as he fed from his mother. “But we did get our gorgeous little lady,” James smiled as he thought about Mia. April and James were going to go back to the hospital later that afternoon to spend some time with Mia, Olive staying at their house to watch the boys. “And she’ll be home soon to join little man here,” James smiled down at his son. “God she’s going to be one lucky girl with three big brothers looking out for her,” James said, before leaning in and placing a soft kiss on April’s temple. “Thank you.” James told her.

“What for?” April questioned, looking at him with a slightly puzzled look on her face.

“For giving me the twins,” James said. “I never did thank you. I know it must be hard for you to carry babies and that whole giving birth thing just looks.....” James trailed off as he shuddered. “You’re amazing and I love you so much.”

“I love you too.” April replied before they shared a kiss.

“So, Buckton,” Georgie said as she walked into the hospital room. “What’s this all about?” Georgie questioned, taking a seat next to her bed. “Those 10 and a half months you had off for maternity leave not enough?” Charlie stifled a laugh as she sat up a little in her bed. “Charlie in all seriousness though, I....I’m sorry.”

“It wasn’t your fault,” Charlie told her. “Don’t be sorry. It could have happened to any of us.” Charlie said, giving Georgie a smile, showing her she didn’t blame her for this.

“You going to be off for a while then?” Georgie questioned.

Charlie gave a little shrug. “Joyce said I’ll get a month off with recovery pay,” Charlie told her. “I....Brax doesn’t want me going back at all though,” Charlie pursed her lips. “I can understand his worries and of course I want to be here with him to see the kids grow up but I...” Charlie exhaled, looking downwards.

“I know how much you love the job,” Georgie said. “But when you put it with your family does it compare?” Georgia wondered.

“No,” Charlie didn’t even need to think about it. “But it still doesn’t mean that I want to give up a career I worked so hard for. Brax knows what being a police officer means to me and maybe he doesn’t respect me as much as I thought he did if he thinks I can just easily decide not to go back to work at all,” Charlie said. “It’s a big choice and quite frankly right now he should be more concerned about me recovering than me still wanting to be a cop.”

“Fair point,” Georgie mumbled. “Well you just concentrate on recovering,” Georgie said. “The rest will work itself out in time.” Georgie told her. Of course she’d miss her if she did decide to leave the force but could also see where Brax was coming from, Charlie being a wife and mother, hadn’t only herself to think about.

Heath was helping Jessica build a tower with her building blocks. “Eeee.” Jessica squealed as she picked up the red building block and put it on top of the orange block, a little grin on her face as she looked to her father.

“Put another one on,” Heath passed her a blue block, Jessica staring down at it for a moment before throwing it away and reaching for the yellow block, putting it on top instead. “Oh is the blue one not good enough?” Heath laughed as he ran his hand over Jessica’s soft blonde curls. Jessica gave him a grin, showing off the little white teeth she had.

“Heath,” Heath looked up as he heard Bianca’s voice. “Heath.” Bianca called on him again, Heath standing up and following her voice down the hall to the bathroom. He knocked on the door once before walking in, seeing Bianca sitting on the edge of the bathtub, a little white stick in her hand. He raised his eyebrows in shock before walking over and taking a seat next to her.

“Is it positive?” Heath questioned, his arm wrapping around Bianca and rubbing her back.

“I don’t know yet,” Bianca bit her lip. Another baby right now wasn’t in her plans. She’d hoped to be married to Heath before producing any more children with him. “There’s still a few minutes, I....” Bianca took a deep breath. “How about you go get Kaya inside? It’s almost time for her to go to dance class. This will probably have the result by the time you get back.” Bianca told him.

“Right,” Heath rubbed the back of his head before leaving the bathroom, giving a little laugh as he saw Jessica crawling down the hall to see where her parents were at. “Bumblebee is looking for you,” Heath shouted back to Bianca before he walked out of the front door, where Kaya was playing. “Kaya,” Heath sighed, seeing once again, she’d brought Bella out front. “How many times have I...” Heath stopped talking as he saw Kaya running out of the garden gate, Bella hopping out towards the road. He looked to the side, hearing a car screeching round the corner. “Kaya, stop,” Heath yelled at his daughter as he started running after her. “Kaya,” Heath shouted as she ran out onto the road, bending down to pick up Bella, who’s came to a stop right in the middle of the left side of the road, the car speeding down towards them. “Move.” Heath yelled as he ran onto the road, grabbing Kaya and pushing her forward, Kaya giving a scream as she fell onto the road, banging her knees hard against the tarmac. The car screeched on the breaks, but it was all too late, the car crashing into Heath, Heath rolling up over the bonnet before hitting the road with a thud.

Thank you for the comments.

one hundred and sixty-five

Bianca was pulling at the styrofoam cup, dropping the little pieces onto her knee as she looked blankly out in front of her. “You know you are supposed to drink the coffee, not destroy the cup.” Brax said as he sat down on the chair next to Bianca.

“It’s cold now anyway.” Bianca murmured, her eyes misting over with tears.

“He’ll be alright Bianca.” Brax rubbed her arm, wanting to give her a little comfort.

“I’m pregnant,” Bianca blurted it out. “What if he....I didn’t get the chance to tell him. What if I never get the chance to tell him?” Bianca started to cry. Brax exhaled lightly as he wrapped his arm around her.

“You will,” Brax had to sound hopeful. There was no way he was about to lose his little brother. “He’ll be okay. He’s a Braxton for goodness sake. We are made of tough stuff.”

“I....” Bianca took a deep breath to stay composed. “He saved Kaya’s life,” Bianca exhaled. “She’s so little and if that car had hit her at the speed it was going there was no chance for her but he....he can’t...” Bianca paused, her lips pursing as a tear rolled down her cheek. The driver of the car had been helpful will telling the police what had happened, giving them a full statement before being released on bail for now.

“Mrs Braxton.” The surgeon walked down the corridor, Bianca shooting up to her feet, the little pieces of styrofoam cup falling to the floor.

“Scott,” Bianca said, “I’m Bianca Scott, we’re not married yet.” Bianca didn’t know why that was important but she was saying it before she could stop herself.

“Miss Scott.” The surgeon said before glancing at Brax.

“That’s his brother.” Bianca said as Brax stood up, his hands going onto Bianca’s shoulders, squeezing them comfortingly.

“Heath was brought in with pretty serious injuries,” The surgeon exhaled. “We’ve managed to stop the internal bleeding and he had some cracked ribs and a broken arm,” The surgeon said. “He is in recovery and we’ll let you see him as soon as we can.” The surgeon told them, Brax smiling as he squeezed Bianca’s shoulders again.

“See, I told you he’d be fine.” Brax said.

“Is he fine though?” Bianca questioned, keeping eye contact with the surgeon.

“I can’t give you a straight answer right now,” The surgeon answered. “At the moment he is in an induced coma till swelling on the brain goes down. I’m afraid only time will tell,” The surgeon said. “It shouldn’t be too much longer before I can take you to see him.” The surgeon said before turning and walking away. Bianca looked around to Brax, new tears rolling down her cheeks. Brax didn’t say anything. He knew she needed to get out the tears. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a hug. Bianca leaned against his chest as she cried for Heath, for the accident, for him pulling through.

James was holding Caden as April’s hand was through the hole in the side of the incubator, her index finger very gently rubbing Mia’s little hand. “Well buddy daddy will need to get yours and Mia’s names tattooed onto me, hmm?” James said, looking at Caden with nothing but love in his eyes.

“Do you have too?” April screwed her face up as she looked at James briefly before looking back to Mia, her little chest moving up and down as she breathed.

“Well yeah,” James answered. “I can’t have half my kids tattooed onto me and not the other half.” James told her.

“I guess not,” April said. “But that’s the last ones, right?” April questioned. It wasn’t that she hated his tattoos. She thought the dove and love heart he had in honour of his mother was beautiful, she just thought getting names tattooed onto yourself was a little tacky.

“Until we have more kids.” James said, giving April a grin.

“Uh-uh,” April shook her head. “I told you when I was still pregnant we’re not having any more. Even more so now we have our little girl,” April said. “This whole one of us getting sterilised thing is so still happening.”

“We could always go for two little girls,” James said. “Huh, what do you think little man?” James questioned, looking down to his baby son. “Would you like another sister?”

“Jeeze Jay the twins are only 3 days old,” April said. “You really talking about having another baby already?”

“I’m just teasing,” Jay said. “You and little lady over there are our bubba’s isn’t that right little man?” James cooed at his son. “But I have to say I think your big brother is sad he’s not the baby anymore.”

“Well he is only 18 months,” April exhaled. “Poor guy should still be the baby.”

“Ah it’s good they are going to be close in age,” James smiled. “You’ll get on great with little bro I am sure,” James said. “And little dude is awesome too. He’s a great big brother already to Leo.” James told his son.

“Most of the time.” April mumbled.

“Well he’s excited about Mia so I’m sure he’ll be good with her at least,” James said. “It’ll come with Caden too.”

“Yeah I’m sure it will,” April said, looking back to the incubator. “You hurry up and get good and strong sweetie because mummy really would love a cuddle from her only little princess.” April once again rubbed Mia’s little hand, James standing over her and smiling down at his fiancée and their baby daughter, he too hoping it wouldn’t be long till she got to come home.

Emmi was cuddling into Charlie, Charlie rubbing Emmi’s back as she looked like she was falling asleep as she cuddled into her. “Poor Bianca,” Charlie exhaled. “Is Heath okay?” Ruby had filled her mother in on what had happened to Heath.

“As far as I know he’s still in surgery,” Ruby exhaled. “Brax thought he should sit with her for a bit,” Ruby told her. “Doesn’t want her to be alone right now.”

“No no, I wouldn’t either.” Charlie said, her lips pursing slightly as she glanced down at Emmi before looking back to Ruby.

“Mum,” Ruby spoke tentatively. “Is everything okay with you and Brax?” Ruby questioned, knowing they’d been pretty quiet with each other since the accident.

“Yeah.” Charlie cleared her throat.

“Mum, c’mon the little ones aren’t here,” Ruby said, the kids being given some dinner by Leah before going to be brought in to see Charlie later. “How can you possibly be arguing at a time like this?” Ruby couldn’t possibly see why they’d argue when Charlie was still in hospital after being shot.

“He wants me to stop working on the force,” Charlie mumbled, still rubbing Emmi’s back. “It’s my job.”

“Wow,” Ruby pursed her lips. “That’s quite a big ask.”

“I know,” Charlie replied. “I.....he knows how much I love my work.”

“I guess he,” Ruby paused. “Well you are sitting in a hospital bed recovering from a gunshot so I can see where he is coming from.”

“Yeah but what just happened to Heath proves that there’s a risk in life no matter what you are doing,” Charlie said. “I...I see where he is coming from I really do, but I...” Charlie trailed off. “Well maybe once I’m home well talk.” Charlie sighed. She knew she and Brax needed to talk this over, but right now, her recovery was more important so a talk with Brax would have to wait.

Bianca walked back into the house after being at the hospital all evening with Heath. “Hey love how is he?” Irene questioned, standing up from the couch and walking over to Bianca, pulling her into a hug.

“Alive,” Bianca mumbled. “He’s not woken up yet though. He’s in an induced coma till the swelling on the brain goes down.” Bianca told her, Irene rubbing her arm as they pulled out of the hug.

“I’ll get you a drink,” Irene said, walking over to the kitchen and opening the cabinet door, taking out the bourbon. She took a glass and poured Bianca a rather large measure before walking over to the couch as they both took a seat. “For the shock.” Irene said, handing the glass to Bianca.

Bianca stared down at it for a moment before putting it on the coffee table, her lips pursing as she looked to the woman who was a good as a mother to her. “Were the girls okay?”

“Jessica settled fine,” Irene answered. “Kaya is more shaken up,” Irene told her. “I still don’t think she is asleep but I left her in her room.”

Bianca gave a little nod as she looked in the direction of the hallway. “I can’t...” Bianca shook her head, looking back to Irene. “She....I.....” Bianca paused. “I keep trying to tell myself it wasn’t her fault but I keep thinking if she wasn’t playing out front with Bella like we’ve told hundreds of times not to then Heath wouldn’t have -”

Bianca looked round again as she heard a floorboard creak. “Mum, I can’t sleep.” Kaya murmured.

“Go back to bed.” Bianca told her daughter, looking back in Irene’s direction.

“But mum,” Kaya moaned as she walked closer to her mother. “I can’t sleep and my knees really hurt.”

Bianca looked down to Kaya’s knees to see they were all scraped and cut. “Bed, now Kaya.” Bianca sounded angry, her face getting red as she pointed in the direction of Kaya’s room.

Kaya bowed her head a little. “But I’m sore and I’m scared and I -”

“Go to bed now,” Bianca yelled at her daughter, Kaya jumping back in fright. “Listen to me for once,” Bianca spat. “If you did as you were told dad wouldn’t be laying fighting for his life in hospital right now.” Bianca roared Kaya breaking into tears before she turned around and ran off down the hall, tearing streaming down her face as her bedroom door slammed shut.

“Bia -” Irene stared to talk as she went to put her hand onto Bianca’s back.

“Don’t.” Bianca shrugged Irene away as she stood up and walked out of the house, the front door slamming loudly.

Thanks Kristen, Sarah, CharlieAndBraxLover and Sabrina. :)

one hundred and sixty-seven

Bianca took some time to calm down before she walked back into the house. She expected to find Irene upon her return but the living room was empty. She walked down the hall and stopped outside Kaya’s room, the door slightly ajar. Her heart broke as she heard her daughter’s cries, knowing she was responsible for them. She opened the door and walked into the room, seeing Irene holding Kaya in a comforting embrace. “I’ll go check on Bumblebee.” Irene said, placing a soft kiss on Kaya’s head before leaving the room.

“Cupcake I am so sorry.” Bianca walked over to her bed and sat down next to her, reaching out to pull her into a hug.

“No,” Kaya shrugged away as she moved further away from her mother. “I don’t want you to hug me.” Kaya looked away from her mother as she hugged her 5 Seconds of Summer pillow close to her.

“I’m so sorry baby,” Bianca told her. “I’m just upset about dad. I didn’t mean what I said,” Bianca once again attempted to comfort her daughter but Kaya moved further away from her. After a long period of silence, Bianca spoke again. “We’ll go see him tomorrow yeah?” Bianca suggested. “You can tell him he needs to get better and get home soon?”

Kaya gave a little shrug. “He’ll be mad at me too.”

“He won’t,” Bianca shook her head. “He’ll just be happy you’ve gone to visit him.” Bianca told her. Kaya sucked in her bottom lip as he looked up at her mother.

“I’m really sorry I got dad run over.” Kaya cried.

“Oh Cupcake,” Bianca moved closer to her daughter and wrapped her arm around her, this time Kaya letting her mother comfort her. “It was just a terrible accident. The car was going way to fast.” Bianca said, her lips pursing together. She was trying really hard not too but she still couldn’t shake the feeling she had deep down that it was Kaya’s fault that Heath got run over.

April was changing Caden’s nappy in the living room. “Mamma,” Leo crawled over to her, a red toy car in his hand. “Mamma.” Leo said again, rolling the car over her.

“Mamma will play soon bud,” April assured him, pushing on him slightly, trying to get him out of the way so she could finish changing Caden’s nappy. “You can be my helper,” April said. “Can you get me some wipes?” April pointed to the pack of wipes and Leo looked to them, a little smile on his face as he walked over and put his car down, picking the wiped up into his hands. “Good boy,” April smiled as she held her hand out for them but Leo ran across the room with them in hands as he giggled. “Leo buddy mummy needs them over here,” April said, gesturing for him to come back across. Leo shook his head as he hugged the baby wipes tightly. April sighed as he looked to Caden who was lying on a blanket on the floor before looking to the other side of the room to Leo, who had a cheeky little face as he stared at his mother. “Leo James King,” April spoke in her stern mummy voice. “Bring them to mamma.”

“No.” Leo answered as he shook his head, hugging the wipes close to him.

“Buddy.” April glanced at Caden who was happily lying on the blanket. She stood up and walked over to Leo, putting her hand on the pack of wipes, pulling them from her son’s grasp.

“No.” Leo squealed as he hit his hand out, hitting April’s leg.

“Leo,” April was shocked. Leo had never shown any sort of violence before. “You don’t hit people. That’s naughty.” April spoke sternly, letting him know that it was not okay to hit. Leo scowled at her before standing up and running towards Caden. April chased after him getting to the boys just in time to see Leo pinching Caden’s arm. Caden let out an ear piercing squeal as Leo giggled. “Leo James,” April gasped. “You are a very naughty boy. We don’t hurt the baby,” April lifted Caden into her arms, the boy’s baby grow half way up his stomach as April was still trying to change his nappy. “Ahhh,” April gasped in fright as she felt Caden peeing on her singlet. “Oh my God Jay where the hell are you.” April mumbled. James had only left to pick up Finn from school so April didn’t know what was taking him so long. She looked to Leo who had taken the wipes back into his grasp and ran off and hid under the coffee table. She took a deep breath, rubbing Caden’s back as he was still crying from Leo nipping him, as she walked over to her son, thinking Leo was about to introduced to Finn’s least favourite place to be; the naughty spot.

Heath’s eyes fluttered before they opened. He took a moment to let them adjust to the light before look to the side, smiling as he saw Bianca sitting on the chair. “Hey baby,” Bianca smiled as she leaned down and ran her hand over his head. “You gave us quiet a scare.”

“Kaya,” Heath questioned. “Is she okay?”

“She’s fine,” Bianca answered. “Pretty scraped up knees but she okay.” Bianca gave a smile.

“Are the girls here with you?” Heath questioned before clearing his throat, Bianca pouring him a glass of water and handing it to him. He took a long drink before putting the glass back on the bedside table.

“Irene has them at the canteen for a drink,” Bianca told him. “She thought I’d like some time alone with you.”

“Good for Irene,” Heath smiled as he took Bianca’s hand in his, his other arm already put into a plaster cast, it of course broken from the accident. He winced a little as he looked down to his chest, his broken ribs hurting every breath he took, every word he spoke. “What about the test?” Heath questioned. “You’d taken a test before I.....before the accident,” Heath said. “I didn’t just dream that did I?”

“No it was real,” Bianca told him. “I am pregnant.” Bianca got a grin on her face.

“That’s great news,” Heath looked overjoyed before once again wincing, his ribs incredibly painful right now. “How’s Charlie doing?”

“She’s good,” Bianca answered. “They still want to keep her in for a few more days but she is recovering well.” Bianca smiled; glad her friend was going to be okay.

“And Mia?” Heath asked.

“She’s still the same.” Bianca pursed her lips, so far the outcome for her little niece no different to when she was born.

“We should get our very own little ward,” Heath joked. “There’s so many from the same family in this hospital right now.”

“Just as long as you all leave well,” Bianca answered, squeezing his hand as she felt her eyes glossing over with tears. “God Heath I was so scared I was going to lose you.”

“Nah,” Heath shook his head. “It’ll take more than a car knocking me over to get rid of me,” Heath said. “Besides, I can’t leave you know. Not when you are giving me a son.”

“Oh so it’s a boy?” Bianca questioned.

“Yup,” Heath nodded his head before reaching for more water. “Hey Doc.” Heath looked up as his doctor walked into the room.

The doctor smiled at Heath before looking to Bianca. “I’d just like to do some exams on your husband,” The doctor said. “Can you -”

Bianca gave a little nod, knowing the doctor wanted her to leave. “I’ll go catch up with Irene and the girls,” Bianca told him. “We’ll be back to see you later.” Bianca said, leaning down at giving Heath a kiss before leaving the doctor to it.

“I did you another picture mummy.” Georgia said as she walked into the room, Brax walking in behind her with Emmi in his arms, Emmi clutching onto her beloved hippo. Georgia seemed to bring a picture for Charlie every time she came to the hospital, so Charlie did have nice pile of them now.

“Thank you sweetie,” Charlie said as Brax lifted her up onto the bed before placing Emmi down on her lap also. He leaned in and softy pecked her cheek before taking a seat next the bed. “How was pre-school today?”

“Fine,” Georgia sighed as she moved her hair from in front of her face. “Is you coming home yet?” Georgia asked, obviously hoping for her mother to say yes.

“Not yet,” Charlie answered. “Maybe in a couple of days.” Charlie’s side was still a little painful and she winced as she sat up more in the bed.

“Oh,” Georgia looked a little disappointed. “Mummy,” Georgia sighed. “Daddy burned the toast again.” Georgia told her, looking less than impressed with her father.

“Oh dear,” Charlie glanced at Brax before looking back to Georgia. “That’s not very good is it?”

“No,” Georgia shook her head. “He uhm...and he got yucky yoghurts too.” Georgia frowned, clearly not having a good time with daddy being in charge of the house.

“I bought the ones with bits in,” Brax exhaled, explaining his mistake to Charlie. “I just told her she got extra peach but she was having none of it.”

“Bits taste yucky.” Georgia curled her nose.

“You like peach yoghurts you think you’d like peach bits, right?” Brax murmured, Charlie giving a little laugh as she ran her hand over Georgia’s perfect done French plait.

“Well I don’t think daddy’s did this either,” Charlie said. “It’s way too neat for one of his up do’s.”

“No,” Georgia giggled. “Ruby did this for me,” Georgia told her. “And Evan stayed last night and uhm we,” Georgia sounded really excited as she was talking with her mother. “We playeded snakes n ladders n uhm....hungry hippos and got popcorn n movies.”

“Wow,” Charlie gasped. “You’re having lots of fun then huh?” Charlie questioned, Georgia nodding her head as she gave a big grin, continuing to tell Charlie all about her night.

Thanks Kristen and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments. :)

one hundred and sixty-eight

“Mummy is Mia home?” Finn came running into the living room, flinging his school bag to the floor.

“Shh buddy I just got Caden to sleep.” April was sitting on the couch, looking exhausted as she held a book in her hand, Leo cuddled into her as he read to him. Caden was in the moses basket behind the couch, having just gone down after taking a while to settle.

Finn furrowed his eyebrows. “Well is Mia here or not?” Finn spoke quietly.

“No.” April answered. Finn frowned before running over to the couch and climbing up next to April, Leo moaning as Finn cuddled into her other side.

“Guess what mummy?” Finn said. “Daddy got more tattoos.”

“That’s where you’ve been?” April questioned. “Actually, don’t you dare tell me you took Finn to the tattoo parlour.” April sounded angry even thinking about it.

“Of course not,” James put the box down as Olive walked in behind him with another box and some bags. “Grams had him at the park while I was getting tattooed,” James explained. “Then we went to the mall in Yabbie Creek and got another moses basket and car seat for our little lady. We picked a couple of outfits but not too many because I know clothes shopping for Mia is something you should be doing,” James said. “Or us together,” James added. “We need to go get her that special coming home outfit as well.”

“Mamma.” Leo hit his hand against the book, wanting her to keep reading.

“In a minute baby,” April ran her hand over his hair. “Jay I love that you are being positive but,” April pursed her lips before looking to Finn. “You go get changed out of your school uniform bud,” April told him, Finn jumping down from the couch and picking up his school bag, running off up the stairs. “But it’s still early days. We don’t want to over excite ourselves.”

“Hun she is going to be home in no time,” James had to sound positive. Thinking anything else was unbearable. “Now, how’s little bro been with the little man?” James questioned, April glancing at Leo before looking back to James to tell her about what their little boy had been up to in his absence.

Brax had gone to visit Heath. Bianca and the girls had just left to get some dinner so it was good timing. “You know if you wanted some time off from work you could have just asked,” Brax said as he took a seat. “You didn’t need to throw yourself in front of a car.”

Heath managed a little laugh. “It was going to hit Kaya,” Heath said. “As her father I can’t let any harm come to her,” Heath told his brother. “You’d have done the same for any of your kids, right?”

“Without a doubt,” Brax answered. “I also hear congratulations are in order.” Brax said, Heath looking a little confused before talking.

“She told you?” Heath was a little puzzled. Bianca had to pretty early in the pregnancy so he didn’t think she’d tell anyone.

“I don’t think she meant too,” Brax replied. “But she was worried about you and you know I think it just slipped out,” Brax exhaled. “Kinda like a ‘he can’t die now, I didn’t get to tell him about the baby’ kinda reveal.”

“Ahhh.” Heath nodded his head.

“So, what’s the damage?” Brax questioned. “Broken arm, cracked ribs?” Brax listed. “That’s all, right?”

“Uhm,” Heath pursed his lips. “Not exactly, no,” Heath shook his head. “Brax, I....” Heath stopped talking.

“What is is?” Brax wondered. “Don’t say brain damaged because I’m sure there’s not much of a brain up there anyways.” Brax joked, Heath once again giving a little laugh, before he looked to his brother, a very serious look on his face.

“I can’t feel my legs.” Heath told him, Brax laughing in disbelief.

“Yeah good one bro,” Brax chuckled. “Seriously, what is it?”

“I can’t feel my legs,” Heath repeated. “They say I’ll probably never walk again.” Heath sounded heartbroken and Brax knew by the look on his face that he was being serious.

“Mate, I....” Brax felt his heart beating faster as he put his hand on his chest. “Man I’m sorry. How did....how did Bianca take it?”

“I’ve not told her yet,” Heath exhaled. “How can I? How can I tell her that I’m never going to walk again? That I’ll be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life? That I’ll never be able to kick a ball around with the kids? Dance with the girls on their wedding days?” Heath was tearing up but was trying his hardest not to cry.

“Well we can start by getting rid of that attitude,” Brax told him. “If there is a chance, even the slightly glimmer of hope that you’ll be able to walk again then it’s happening,” Brax said. “Because you are a Braxton and we let nothing get in the way of what we want.” Brax told him, making a promise to himself there and then that he’d make damn sure Heath would walk again.

Bianca was in the nursery, rocking on the rocking chair as Jessica was in her arms, slowly drifting off to sleep. “Somewhere, over the rainbow, way up high, there's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby, somewhere, over the rainbow, skies are blue, and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true,” Bianca sang to her daughter as she continued to rock gently back and forth. She gave a smiled as Jessica yawned before her eyes closed, not reopening this time. She kept rocking on the chair as she started singing again. “Someday I'll wish upon a star, and wake up where the clouds are far behind me, where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me.” Bianca stopped singing as she heard the door creak open.

“Mum,” Kaya spoke softly. “I can’t sleep.”

Bianca pursed her lips as she looked back to Jessica. She stood up and softly kissed her forehead before laying her down in her cot. She walked out of the nursery, taking Kaya’s hand and walking thorough to her and Heath’s bedroom, bringing Kaya into the bed with her. “Did you have a bad dream?”

Kaya nodded as he cuddled into her mother. “I keep seeing dad being hit by the car.” Kaya murmured from against her mother’s chest.

Bianca took a deep breath. “Try not to think about it,” Bianca told her. “Think of nice things. Like Jessica and your new baby cousins,” Bianca ran her hand through her hair as she spoke. “Me and dad will get married one day soon.” Bianca told her.

“Really soon?” Kaya questioned. “Like soon soon?”

“Maybe,” Bianca told her. “We could even make it really special and go away to some place nice,” Bianca suggested. “Just me, you, Bumblebee and of course daddy.” Bianca said, not really caring to have a big fancy wedding with lots of guests.

“Like Mexico?” Kaya questioned.

“Mexico?” Bianca raised her eyebrows. “Well maybe,” Bianca said, her hand continuing to run through Kaya’s hair. “Would you like to go to Mexico?”

“Yeah,” Kaya answered. “We are doing a project on Mexico in school right now,” Kaya told her mother. “They speak Spanish there and they have Sombrero’s which are funny big round hats and they have Mayan people and Chichen-Itza.”

“Ah wow you know a lot about Mexico then huh?” Bianca questioned. “Well maybe we can at least save up for a holiday. That would be fun huh?” Bianca said, Kaya nodding lightly.

“Maybe we should go on holiday with Auntie April and Uncle James and Finn, Leo, Caden and Mia and ehm....Uncle Brax and Auntie Charlie and Daniel, Kobe, Georgia and Emmi and Ruby and Evan can come and Nana and Olive too.” Kaya suggested.

“Wow that’s an awful lot of people for one holiday.” Bianca said, giving a little laugh at her daughter.

“But it would be fun.” Kaya yawned.

“Yeah I’m sure it would be,” Bianca murmured. “Now, let’s get you to sleep.” Bianca said, placing a kiss on her temple as she stayed cuddled into her daughter until she fell asleep.

Ruby took the kids home to put them to bed with help from Evan, allowing Brax to stay at the hospital a little longer to have alone time with Charlie. They’d managed to talk without bringing up the subject of Charlie’s work. Brax glanced at the time before giving a little yawn. “Five minutes till visiting hours are over,” Brax sounded disappointed, hating that he’d need to once again go home without Charlie. “Wish I could stay all night with you.”

“I’ll be home soon,” Charlie spoke quietly, she too getting tired. “And Daniel was talking about Hawaii before so he’s clearly not going to let us forget about that.”

Charlie said.

“Well it is only a month till they’re off school for a few weeks,” Brax smiled. “Maybe we could go then? Get a late deal.”

“I don’t know,” Charlie shrugged. “I mean I’m just back at work and I obviously need time off to recover from this. I don’t think they’ll be pleased if I come back and ask for more time off right away.”

“Well we can easily solve that problem.” Brax murmured.

“Brax,” Charlie sighed, a little saddened he’d brought it up again. She wanted just one day when they didn’t argue about it, especially right now, given she was still in hospital. “Don’t start.”

“Fine I won’t,” Brax sighed. “I’m going to go home,” Brax stood up from the chair. He stared at Charlie for a moment before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on her cheek. “Goodnight.” Brax said before he left the room to get back home to the kids.

Thank you :)

one hundred and sixty-nine

Evan and Ruby were chilling with Emmi. The older kids were at school and Brax had gone for a surf to clear his head. “Mmm,” Emmi stood up from playing with the building blocks, looking at her sister who was close by. Evan wrapped his arm around Emmi’s back, steadying her as she swayed on the spot. “Ahhh.” Emmi pointed to Ruby and took a few steps forward, a big grin on her face before she fell to the floor.

“No Emmi,” Ruby gasped. “Aww sweetie that’s such a good job but you need to wait for mummy and daddy to take your first steps,” Ruby leaned forward and pulled Emmi close to her, Emmi grinned widely as she looked at her sister, her hands clapping together. “Aww sweetie.” Ruby kissed Emmi’s cheek. “Ev,” Ruby looked up to him. “What we going to do?”

“Nothing,” Evan shrugged. “It’s not like she can tell them she walked so we won’t say a thing,” Evan said. “Just no more walking till mummy and daddy get back okay?” Evan leaned himself forward and rubbed Emmi’s little cheek with his index finger. Emmi squealed in delight as she waved her arms excitedly. Evan smiled as he stared at the Emmi, Ruby seeing the look on his face. She could see from his eyes that he wished he was a father already, wished that he could have a child of his own. She smiled as she leaned forward and placed a kiss on his lips, Evan smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen a little before he pulled back. “What was that for?”

“I love you so much,” Ruby told him. “But are you sure you can give up on what you want for me?” Ruby questioned.

“What are you talking about?” Evan scrunched his face up.

“The way you look at Emmi,” Ruby told him. “You want to be father. You want a baby.”

“Yeah and I want you to be that baby’s mother and any baby of yours will be worth waiting for,” Evan told her. “Babe honestly, all I want is you.” Evan said, his hand cupping her cheek, looking into her eyes, with nothing but love. She smiled as they shared another kiss, pulling back as they heard Emmi’s giggles. Ruby looked to her side to see Emmi was by the coffee table, standing up and holding onto it for support, looking rather proud with herself.

“Ahh Emmi boo, what did we tell you.” Ruby said, getting up to her feet and walking the few steps to her sister, lifting her up into her arms. Hoping that Charlie would be home from the hospital soon so she could see Emmi walking.

“Dad,” Kaya beamed as she walked into the hospital room. She’d come straight from school so was still in her blue checked school dress, her hair tied back in pleated pigtails. Bianca walked in behind her, Jessica babbling happily away in her arms. “Are you better today?”

“I am now I’ve seen you Cupcake,” Heath smiled at Kaya as he gave her a hug. “How was school today?”

“Fine,” Kaya answered. “Mum said we will go to Mexico when you are out of here,” Kaya said. “We will go to the pool and the beach and -”

“Now now missy,” Bianca passed Jessica to Heath before she sat down on the chair next to his bed. “I didn’t say that for sure.”

Kaya furrowed her eyebrows. “Well Mexico is so cool,” Kaya said. “We should go and anyways that’s where you said you wanted to marry daddy.”

“She did?” Heath raised his eyebrows.

“Well I have been thinking about a wedding day, yeah,” Bianca told him. “But then,” Bianca looked down to her stomach. “I don’t know; let’s just give it more time.”

“More time would be good.” Heath answered. He didn’t want to get married if he couldn’t stand up when they were saying their vows, if he couldn’t walk down the altar with his new bride and if he couldn’t share a first dance with her. He was yet to tell Bianca about his paralysis, freezing up every time he tried so far that day, and now with Kaya being there he was less likely to say anything.

“Yeeee.” Jessica squealed as she hit her hands against the bed sheet.

“Yeah see, Bumblebee agrees,” Heath smiled at his daughter. “We’ll wait till you are bigger and can walk mummy down to daddy huh?”

“Mmm da.” Jessica grinned.

“Yeah bubba was that almost a dada?” Heath grinned as he tickled the crook of Jessica’s neck, Jessica giggling.

“Oh dad,” Kaya screeched from the chair where she was sitting next to her mother. “Did mum tell you she pulled herself up this morning,” Kaya sounded proud of her baby sister. “She did,” Kaya nodded her head. “She was crawling and then she put her hands on the couch and stood up.”

“Aww and you didn’t wait for daddy?” Heath gave a sad pout but Jessica was staring at him with a big grin on her face.

“She fell on her bum and was screaming for about 20 minutes afterwards so I don’t think she’ll attempt it again for a while,” Bianca told him, giving a little laugh as she spoke. “But that’s okay, we don’t want you growing up to fast do we?” Bianca questioned, leaning forward and rubbing her daughters little cheek. Jessica gave another squeal of delight as Heath looked to his family, feeling saddened that he was about to share with them news that would change them for the rest of their lives.

April and James were at the NICU to see Mia. Olive and the boys had been too, but after a little visit Olive had taken them home, leaving the parents to be with their new daughter and little Caden to bond with his sister. “Maybe we should have made Leo stay,” April exhaled. “The more he is around the babies the more used to them he’ll get.”

“Yeah but we don’t want to force him,” James replied. “Seeing them in small doses is probably better in the long run.” James said, Caden all cuddled up asleep in his arms.

“How is that going to work?” April scrunched her face up. “Caden is already home with us and so far it’s proved....” April trailed off, her head shaking. “He hates him.”

“He’s just a little threatened,” James told her. “Once he sees he’s still getting love and attention he’ll come around to the little man,” James said. “And if he sees Finn being nice around the babies then he’ll probably copy.”

“So far Finn has just ignored Caden,” April sighed. “I know he’s excited because he got a little sister but he still got Caden too and the poor little man isn’t getting any love from his siblings.”

“Well Mia here will show him much love once she’s home,” James smiled. “And he’s always got mummy and daddy’s love.” James said, rubbing April’s shoulder.

“Jay.” April sighed.

“The boys will come round hun,” James told her. “And right now it just means that we get to have more precious cuddles with our little man.” James cooed down at Caden.

“Hello, how are we this evening?” Kate questioned as she walked over to the young couple.

“We’re fine,” April answered. “How’s Mia?”

“She is excellent,” Kate answered. “She is doing so good in fact that she can have a little cuddle with mummy,” Kate said, April’s eyes widening as her heart started beating faster, overcome with emotion at being able to hold her baby girl. “Unless of course you don’t want too? You don’t look that interested.” Kate joked as she opened the side of the incubator and gently lifted Mia out.

“Oh God,” April looked up to James, the biggest smile on her face he’d ever seen. He smiled down at her as Kate placed Mia into her arms, moving the tubes a little so they didn’t get in the way. “Hey precious.” April felt herself getting emotional as tears filled her eyes.

“I’ll leave you to have this moment.” Kate said, walking away from the family, always getting that glowing feeling inside her every time she go to see mother and baby having their first cuddle.

“When are you coming home, mum?” Daniel questioned, from the chair next to her bed.

“Well the doctor came to speak to me before about my recovery and said that I’m all better now so I can go home tomorrow.” Charlie told him, Daniel getting a big grin on his face.

“I’ve missed you being at home.” Daniel told her.

“I’ve missed being home,” Charlie told him. “It’s not the same when you’ve not got 4 screaming kids around,” Charlie said, giving a little laugh. “I’ve missed you all like crazy.”

“And dad?” Daniel wondered, glancing at Brax who was putting a fast asleep Emmi into her buggy.

“Yeah dad too,” Charlie said, her and Brax exchanging the weakest of smiles. Kobe and Georgia had already left earlier with Ruby and Evan, Georgia having fell asleep as she snuggled against Charlie and Kobe looking like he was going to nod off to sleep at any moment, so they’d been taken home to be put to bed. “Hope you’ve been looking after him for me while I’ve been gone?”

“Yeah,” Daniel nodded his head. “But I’m really pleased you get to come home tomorrow.” Daniel grinned.

“Me too bud.” Charlie answered.

“Mum?” Daniel spoke tentatively as he looked to Brax before looking back to Charlie. “Eh....are you going to go back to being a police officer?” Daniel questioned. “Because I think it’s too dangerous and you’d be better working with dad in his restaurant.”

“Oh you think that, do you?” Charlie looked from Daniel to Brax wondering if Brax had put Daniel up to this. “Well I’m not sure what I am doing right now sweetheart,” Charlie rubbed Daniel’s cheek as she spoke. “But that’s nothing for you to worry about, okay?” Charlie said, Daniel giving a little nod as Charlie once again looked to Brax, exhaling lightly, knowing that this wasn’t a matter that was going to go away quickly.

Thank you

one hundred and seventy

Bianca walked into the room, smiling as she saw Heath. “Hey.” Bianca leaned down and softly kissed his lips.

Heath smiled into the kiss before pulling back, looking into her beautiful eyes. He felt saddened that he was about to her news that would suck the gorgeous colour from them. “I uhm.” Heath cleared his throat. He was glad the girls weren’t with her. Kaya of course would be at school and he assumed Jessica had been left with Irene. Unlike Charlie, Bianca was yet to return to work from being on her maternity leave.

“Charlie is getting home today,” Bianca spoke over him. “You heard any news for the doctor yet on when you might get home?” Bianca wondered as she took a seat.

“Nah,” Heath shook his head. “Eh, listen babe I....” Heath pursed his lips. “I need to tell you something.”

“Oh before I forget,” Bianca spoke over him again. “I’ve got an appointment tomorrow to confirm this,” Bianca put her hand onto her stomach, a smile creeping onto her face. “I made the appointment yesterday when the nurse overheard me saying something about it,” Bianca said. “You are in here right now so it’s not like I’ve not been thinking about you,” Bianca told him. “I -”

“Babe,” Heath put his hand on her arm to stop her talking. “I really need to tell you something,” Heath told her, taking deep breath. “I.....it’s about me, about my...” Heath stopped talking and Bianca could see he was trying his best to push back tears that wanted to fall.

“Heath what is it?” Bianca leaned forward, her hand taking his and squeezing it gently.

“I....I can’t feel my legs,” Heath said. “I uhm....I’m never going to walk again.”

Bianca looked shell-shocked. “But.....no,” Bianca shook her head. “You can’t be....no.” Bianca refused to believe it.

“You think I’d make this up?” Heath questioned. “The doctors have tested me enough times. There’s no feeling,” Heath smacked his hand hard against his thigh. “I’m sorry Bianca. I’m so so sorry but it’s true.”

“God Kaya.” Bianca mumbled as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Bianca stop blaming Kaya for this,” Heath spoke softly. “It wasn’t her fault. It was just an accident.”

“I know. I know it was an accident but,” Bianca trailed off. “Are you sure you’ll never walk again?” Heath gave a little nod as tears rolled down his cheeks. Bianca wiped a tear from her eye before standing up and getting onto the bed, laying herself next to Heath. Heath wrapped an arm around her as he placed a soft kiss on her forehead as they lay in the embrace.

“Maaa.” Emmi grinned as Charlie walked into the house. She pushed herself up to standing before taking a couple of unsteady steps before she fell to the ground.

“Oh my goodness Emmi Grace.” Charlie lifted her daughter into her arms.

“Way to go Pickles,” Brax rubbed Emmi’s back from her being in Charlie’s arms. “Walking for mummy coming home. That’s a special treat huh?”

“That was really her first steps?” Charlie had to question it. She’d been away 5 days so maybe it was possible she’d missed them.

“First I’ve seen.” Brax said before glancing to the couch to Ruby and Evan.

“Yeah.” Ruby smiled as she nudged Evan’s side.

“Yeah yeah,” Evan said. “Obviously wanted to wait for mummy to show off what a clever little minion she is,” Evan grinned as Emmi looked over in his direction. “Going to get in all sorts of trouble now aren’t you little Pickles?”

Emmi squealed in response as she hid her head against Charlie’s chest. Charlie placed a kiss on the crook of Emmi’s neck before she put her on the ground, Emmi getting right back up onto her feet again. Her little hand rested on Charlie’s leg before she let go, taking a few steps towards Brax before falling on her bottom. “See who needs to crawl?” Brax cooed at Emmi as he lifted her into a hug. “Clever little baby straight into the walking.”

“Mmma maam.” Emmi grinned as she held her hands out to go to Charlie. Charlie took her back in her arms before walking over to the arm chair and taking a seat.

“Bet it’s nice to be out of hospital.” Evan smiled at Charlie.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “But now it’s back to cooking and cleaning. I didn’t miss that.” Charlie gave a little chuckle.

“We’ll cook tonight.” Ruby said, looking to Evan, who widened his eyes as he glared at her.

“We will?” Evan questioned and Ruby nodded her head. “Well spag bol is still all I can cook.”

“Spag bol it is then,” Brax said. “Emmi is going to love getting into that, aren’t you?” Brax looked at his daughter who was grinning up at him from Charlie’s knee. Charlie smiled placed another kiss on her baby daughter as the smile never left her face.

April yawned as she closed the book, having read Finn a bedtime story. “Can you read another?” Finn questioned as he held his crocodile and wallaby teddies close to him. The teddies James had bought him way back when April was first pregnant with Leo and they went on a holiday to Whitsundays still very much his favourites.

“No no,” April shook her head. “You need to sleep. You’ve got school tomorrow.”

Finn frowned. “Is Mia coming home tomorrow?” This was a question Finn asked every day.

“I don’t think so sweetie,” April shook her head. “But Caden is here,” April told him. “Maybe you could help mummy bath him or change his smelly nappy,” April gave a little laugh as she nudged Finn’s side.

Finn scrunched his face up. “No.”

April sighed lightly. “You know, Caden would love to get cuddles from his big brothers,” April told him, her hand gently brushing over his dark hair. “He’s a very sweet little baby.”

“Yes but he is not my sister.” Finn answered.

“Buddy,” April exhaled. “Mummy really needs your help.” April told him, her hand continuing to run over his hair.

“With what?” Finn wondered, his eyes widening in thought.

“Well, Leo’s not best pleased with the little man is he?” April questioned and Finn shook his head. “So I need you to show him what he’s supposed to do with a little brother,” April told him. “Let him see that Caden is a good addition to the family.”

“Oh,” Finn rubbed the back of his head. “I didn’t know I had a job like that.”

“You do,” April nodded lightly. “And you need to help mummy and daddy protect little Caden,” April told him. “You think you could help with that?”

“What’s protect?” Finn questioned.

“Help us look after him. He’s so little and he doesn’t know what to do so we need to help him and make sure he is safe.” April explained, Finn giving a little nod, like he understood what his mother was saying.

“Mia too when she is home?” Finn questioned.

“Yeah Mia too,” April gave a little smile when she answered. “But right now, just Caden needs you.” April told him.

“Well I can help,” Finn said. “I will tomorrow okay?” Finn told his mother, April giving a little smile as she leaned down and cuddled her son before placing a kiss on his cheek.

“Thank you buddy,” April murmured. “Now, it’s time for you to go to sleep. Sweet dreams bud.” April pinched his cheek before getting up from the bed and tucking Finn into sleep.

Bianca was sitting on the couch, her legs shaking as she held her head in her hands. “How do I tell her?” Bianca looked around to Irene, biting her lip after she spoke.

“You just have to come out and say it,” Irene told her, her hand rubbing Bianca’s back in comfort. “It’s the only way.”

Bianca shook her head lightly. “I don’t think I can say it again,” Bianca let out a puff of air. “Telling you was hard enough. “How do I say that dad is never going to talk again?”

“I can tell her if you want?” Irene questioned, of course willing to do anything to make it easier on Bianca.

Bianca gave a little smile, like she was considering the offer from Irene. “Thanks but I think this needs to come from me.” Bianca looked in the direction of Kaya’s room, where she was getting to read her book for 10 more minutes before Bianca would go tell her goodnight and switch the light off.

“Well if you are sure,” Irene told her, rubbing her arm in support. “Are you okay?” Irene asked. She knew Bianca all too well and knew she was dying to let tears fall.

Bianca took a deep breath. “I’m not the one who’s just been told he’ll never walk again.” Bianca murmured.

“No I know but he’s your partner, the kids’ father, you....” Irene trailed off. “It would be okay if you were upset. I would be expected.”

Bianca took another deep breath. “I need to be strong for Heath.”

“Well right now, Heath isn’t here.” Irene told her. Bianca pursed her lips as she nodded, Irene seeing the tear escape her eye. She didn’t say another word, she just pulled the woman into a comforting hug.

Archived