Forever and Always

one hundred and eleven

“Hun,” James walked into the bedroom and over to the bed where April as sitting. He sat down next to her, exhaling as he put his hand on her thigh. “I -”

“Where’s Leo?” April questioned.

“I just put him down for a nap,” James answered and April gave a little nod as her lips pursed. “Hun please don’t let something I did when I was 17 and stupid and thought I could do as I please and not care about the consequences get to you,” James said. “Baby I love you and the boys so much. We are a family and I’d never, never cheat on you. Why would I when I’ve already got the best right here in front of me?” James said as he tucked her hair behind her ear.

“This just shocked me,” April sniffed back. “I didn’t think you were like that. From the moment I met you you were the sweetest ever and were wonderful with Finn,” April said. “You weren’t a cheat,” April shook her head. “The James I know, he’s not like that.”

“I am that James,” James exhaled. “Not the stupid 17 year old who cheated,” James shook his head. “I’m the guy you met and fell in love with, that’s the real me, I swear.”

April pursed her lips as she looked into his eyes. His soft, inviting, caring eyes. April knew how much James loved her and the boys and she knew he would never do anything to ruin his family like that. “I....was it only a onetime thing or did it happen more than once?” April questioned. She wasn’t really sure why it mattered but it obviously did if she was asking.

“That I slept with Louise?” James questioned and April gave a little nod. “We didn’t keep count,” James laughed. “But it was more once. It was....it was over a couple of months.”

April gave a little snigger. “So an affair then?” April said.

“Well technically but like I say I was 17. I was so young and stupid. I’d never do that now. Baby I’d never, never cheat on you.” James shook his head as he took her hand in his, squeezing it gently.

“You know the saying once a cheat, always a cheat is springing to mind right now.” April murmured.

“No,” James shook his head. “Hun, I’d never cheat on you. I love you too much. I....I’m not the same person I was when I was a teenager, I swear. You, the boys.....that’s my life and I wouldn’t ever want anyone else.” James spoke softly, a smile on his face. April knew he was being sincere. They had something really special together and she knew they’d be together forever.

“I know,” April smiled lightly before James leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her lips. She smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen for a moment before she pulled back.“There anything else about your past that you need to tell me?” April questioned, looking into his eyes.

“Uhm....” James pursed his lips. “I smoked pot a couple of times.” James shrugged.

April gave a little laugh as she leaned herself against his chest. “Well I think we can cope with that,” April mumbled as he wrapped his arms around her and softly kissed the top of her head. “But pot smoking cheating James is left in the past, yeah?”

“Totally.” James answered, placing another kiss on her head as she cuddled even more into him.

Charlie and Brax walked into the house, Brax putting the car seat down as Georgia raced over, excited to see her little sister. Daniel glanced up from playing hungry hippos with Ruby and Evan before going back to the game. “Hello sweetie.” Charlie bent down and hugged Georgia who was trying to undo the buckle on the car seat.

“Mummy,” Georgia danced around. “Lemme hold Pickles.” Georgia said, desperate to get the baby out the seat.

“Patience,” Charlie laughed as she lifted Emmi out of the car seat, Georgia running over to the couch to sit down. “Where’s Kobes?” Charlie questioned, noticing his absence from the room.

“In his room. He didn’t want to come down,” Daniel answered, concentraing on the game with Ruby and Evan. “Are you going to play too now you are both home?” Daniel looked up to his parents briefly before going back to the game.

“In a minute I can,” Charlie answered. “I’m just going to go get Kobe,” Charlie said, handing Emmi to Brax so he could take her to Georgia. “Make sure she supports her head,” Charlie murmured, Brax nodding before Charlie walked out of the room and up the stairs to Kobe’s room. She knocked softly on the door before she walked in. “Hey bud, mummy’s home.”

Kobe looked up from where he was sitting in his bean bag chair; Wally hugged close to him as he was looking at one of his animal books. “You’ll want Wally back, right?” Kobe questioned quietly. “All of this I won’t get.” Kobe looked sad as he spoke.

“What are you talking about?” Charlie pulled a face of confusion as she walked across the room and sat down in front of her son.

“Cos I have to leave.” Kobe answered, not making eye contact with Charlie as he welled up with tears.

“You what?” Charlie was very confused. “You don’t need to leave, why would you need to leave?”

“Cos you got a new baby you don’t need me.” Kobe sniffed back as a tear rolled down his cheek.

“Oh sweetheart no,” Charlie shook her head as she pulled Kobe closer to her, rubbing his upper arms. “Why on earth would you think that?” Charlie questioned.

“Cos I lived in a nice home with nice parents then they had a baby of their own and didn’t have no room for me,” Kobe shook his head. “Then I went to live with Brian and Jill,” Kobe exhaled sadly. “I don’t want to live with them again,” Kobe cried. “Please don’t send me away.”

“Oh buddy no,” Charlie shook her head. “This is your home and Emmi being here isn’t ever going to change that,” Charlie told him, feeling bad that Kobe though this, Charlie wishing she’d assured Kobe nothing would change just because they were having the baby. “I promise you bud, this is where you belong. We wouldn’t be us without you.” Charlie said, wiping away the tears from his little cheeks.

“So this is still my forever home and you and daddy are my forever mummy and daddy?” Kobe questioned, his little face looking all sad and tearstained but also so full of wonder.

“Of course we are,” Charlie answered. “You are Kobe Darryl Braxton,” Charlie pinched his cheek. “You are not going anywhere ever.” Charlie told him, Kobe getting a smile on his face.

“Good. I love being here,” Kobe told her. “You and daddy is the best and I love Ruby and Daniel and Georgia.”

“And we all love you too. So very much.” Charlie said, pulling him into a hug. She rubbed his back as she placed a kiss on his temple.

“Will Emmi love me?” Kobe questioned. “I didn’t look at her much or ever hold her yet.”

“Emmi is going to love you so much,” Charlie told him as she pulled back from the hug. “You are an amazing big brother,” Charlie said, Kobe really great with little Georgia. “And she’s right down the stairs waiting for her first cuddle with big bro Kobe.” Charlie said, Kobe giving a smile as Charlie wiped away a tear that was lingering on her cheek.

“Let’s go see her.” Kobe said holding his hand out for Charlie to take. She took his hand in her as the stood to their feet before they left the room together to down the stairs to see Emmi.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks

one hundred and twelve

Bianca and Jessica had gone around to Charlie’s place to see little Emmi. Charlie was holding Jessica as Bianca was cradling Emmi in her arms. “She’s a lot like Georgia,” Bianca said, gushing down at the baby. “How is she with her?”

“She’s been great so far,” Charlie answered with a smile on her face, Charlie not sure how Georgia would have reacted to a new baby but so far she was doing great with her, although she had only been home a week. “She still calls her Pickles though,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “Brax thinks it’s cute but me not so much,” Charlie said. “It was fine when she was growing inside me but now she’s here she’s far too cute for Pickles.”

“Maybe,” Bianca murmured as she looked down to Emmi who gave a big yawn, her little face scrunching up. “At least she’s enjoying being a big sister and isn’t all jealous.”

“Yeah.” Charlie was thankful for that at least. All the kids were great with Emmi and Kobe especially had really taken a shine to her, even if he did have a little wobble after she was first born.

“God Charlie you look great for only having a week old baby,” Bianca sounded jealous. “I look like I’ve not slept for two weeks straight,” Bianca yawned. “Jessica doesn’t sleep.”

“Well she’s got no problems sleeping in Auntie Charlie’s arms,” Charlie said, glancing down at Jessica who was sound asleep. Bianca tutted as she shook her head. Charlie stifled a laugh as she glanced at Emmi, her daughter also on the brink of sleep. “She’s great though. She sleeps really well already which is a welcome change for us. Georgia was a terrible sleeper till she was almost 2 so we were kinda dreading this part.”

“Well I guess there’s still time for her to change,” Bianca murmured. “Maybe we’ll both be pulling our hair out due to lack of sleep soon,” Bianca laughed. “And Kaya too. Jessica keeps her awake and it’s not fair. She’s always so tired over breakfast and I’m sure her school work is slacking already.”

“Aww Jessica is only two weeks old,” Charlie said. “Give the kid some time to know what she is supposed to do.”

“You just said Georgia didn’t sleep till she was as good as two,” Bianca shrieked. “I can’t give her that much time.”

Charlie exhaled lightly, knowing how hard it was to have a baby that didn’t sleep but also new Jessica was still very young and things could change so quickly when they were that age. “Well other than her sleeping how is she?” Charlie questioned, this really the first chance they were getting to have a good catch up, both of them obviously rather busy right now.

“She grumpy cos she doesn’t ever have enough sleep,” Bianca answered with a yawn. “And I think Heath is finding it harder than he thought it would be,” Bianca exhaled. “Bless little Kaya though. She’s a superstar with her even if she is tired herself.”

Charlie gave a little smile. “I can imagine her quiet the little mother.”

“Oh she is,” Bianca retorted. “She even tells Heath what do with her,” Bianca stifled a laugh. “Honestly though I....and I feel bad for saying this but I’d probably feel more comfortable leaving her with Kaya than with Heath.” Bianca spoke quietly, but there was no need. Heath and Brax weren’t even in the house. They had the kids at a soft play in Yabbie Creek for the afternoon, giving them a fun day out away from the stresses of new babies.

“He’ll get the hang of it,” Charlie said. “He’s not been a father long.”

“He’s been there and been great with Kaya since day one of us getting together.” Bianca argued.

“Yeah but Kaya was 7,” Charlie answered. “Jessica is brand new. This is the first time he’s dealt with a baby and seeing how great he is with Kaya, he’ll get to that stage with Jessica too.”

“Yeah yeah, I know.” Bianca answered, giving another yawn. Heath was trying his hardest and that was the main thing right now.

April’s eyes fluttered open as she heard him in the room. “Sorry,” James whispered as April sat up in the bed, her side light going on. “I didn’t mean to wake you.” James was just home from his shift as a bouncer as the club in Yabbie Creek.

“It’s okay. I wasn’t in that deep a sleep anyways,” April answered. “How was work.” April questioned as James got undressed.

“Fine,” James answered. “There was a big punch up. “Me and Ali broke it up but a few punches were flung our way too.” James said as he got into the bed. April turned to look at him and it was then she could see that he had a black eye.

“Oh God Jay,” April gasped. “That looks really sore,” April cupped his cheek, but didn’t touch his black eye. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” James just laughed. “Needless to say that guy is banned from the club though.” James said, still laughing.

“Aw Jay I’m sorry,” April said. “It’s my fault you had to take that stupid job.”

“Nah it’s not.” James shook his head.

“Yeah,” April exhaled. “I couldn’t keep my legs closed and ended up with two children that you now have to pay for while I get to go sit in a class room all day.” April said.

“Firstly, the boys are my life and I don’t know where I’d be without them,” James said. “And I like that you open your legs for me,” James grinned and April gave a little laugh. “Also, hun, you do more than just go sit in a class room,” James said, taking her hand in his and rubbing it gently. “You are training to be a doctor and that’s hard work. On top of that you are an amazing mother to our boys and do a lot of stuff around the house,” James said. “Besides I like the job,” James told her. “I get to stare at smoking hot chicks all night.” James grinned.

April gasped as she slapped his bare James, James gasping as he mocked hurt, his hand rubbing where she hit him. “After my recent findings out about you it is way too soon to be joking about being around hot girls.” April spoke sternly. At first it didn’t bother her in the slightest that James would be around a lot of attractive young women who would be drunken and flirtatious around him, but now she knew about what he’d done in the past, she’d be lying if it hadn’t crossed her mind the last couple of days that something more might happen while he was at work.

“Sorry,” James murmured. “The boys go down alright tonight?” James questioned, deciding to change the subject.

“Mmm,” April nodded. “Well Finn always does,” April answered. “Leo was a little whiny before bed but he has those teeth coming through so that’ll be why,” April yawned. “Anyways I need to sleep.” April yawned again.

“Sleep yeah?”James raised his eyebrows as his hand wandered slowly across her thigh. “I thought you could open those legs of yours for me.” James grinned cheekily. April raised her eyebrows as she looked into his eyes.

“Oh you did?” April questioned and James nodded his head before leaning in and placing a soft kiss on her lips. April smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen a little before she pulled back, looking into his eyes again as she rubbed his cheek with her thumb.

“I did get injured tonight,” James said. “I need a bit of loving from my woman to make me all better.” James murmured, the cheeky grin still etched on his face.

“Well in that case....” April trailed off, her eyebrows raising as she kissed him again as James pulled at her singlet.

one hundred and thirteen

“Mummy,” Georgia ran into the nursery where Charlie was changing Emmi’s nappy. “Daddy is sick,” Georgia told her, a rather concerned on her face. “Oh no,” Georgia shook her head. “Mummy.” Georgia pulled on her top.

“I heard you sweetie,” Charlie lifted Emmi up into her arms and glanced down at Georgia. “That’s not very nice, is it?” Charlie walked out of the nursery as Georgia skipped out beside her, shaking her head in response. “Brax,” Charlie walked into their bedroom and through to the en-suite. “You alright?” Charlie knew it was a stupid question as he clearly wasn’t alright but it was what you asked.

“I’ll be fine,” Brax stood up and flushed the toilet. “You lot ready for game day?” Brax looked to Georgia who was nodding vigorously. It was Sunday so always family day in the Braxton house and giving it was torrential rain outside they weren’t going anywhere.

“Kobe and Daniel is downstairs waiting,” Georgia said. “Let’s go.”

“Mmm,” Brax rubbed over his chest. “You go down. Tell Daniel to get the first game set up. We’ll be right down.” Brax told her, Georgia nodding at her instructions before running off down the stairs.

“You up for games day?” Charlie questioned, seeing Brax didn’t look that great. He was rather white and peaky looking.

“I’ll be fine,” Brax murmured. “Nothing a little cuddle from my cutie won’t fix.” Brax smiled walking closer to Charlie.

“Uh-uh,” Charlie shook her head. “If you are sick I don’t want you getting her sick.” Charlie looked down to her daughter who was snuggled up contently in her arms.

Brax pouted sadly but knew there was some truth to what Charlie was saying. “And I guess because you are nursing her you won’t want me giving you a hug or a cheeky little kiss either?” Brax questioned, looking a little saddened.

“It won’t be forever,” Charlie murmured. “Besides I’m not kissing that mouth till you brush your teeth and wash it out with mouthwash,” Charlie pulled a face, mocking disgust. “Off to it.” Charlie gestured to the sink and Brax gave a little chuckle before walking across to the sink, Charlie hoping Brax wasn’t about to take a bug and pass it on to all the children.

April and the boys had gone to see Bianca and the girls. Finn and Kaya were playing in Kaya’s room, as April was holding her baby niece in her arms in the living room, chatting with her sister. Leo was crawling about the floor, throwing a block and going after it, the game keeping him amused. “So the wedding plans back on track?” Bianca questioned, watching Leo look rather amused as he threw the block and crawled off after it, Bianca stifling a laugh, thinking her nephew was being like a puppy.

“Uhm,” April pursed her lips. “Yes.” April answered after a lengthy pause.

“You sure?” Bianca asked.

“No no,” April shook her head. “We are getting married and are continuing to plan the wedding. I’m just not sure we are going to use Aubrey anymore.” April exhaled lightly, looking to her son before looking back to her sister.

“You don’t trust them to not go back there?” Bianca wondered.

“It’s not that I don’t trust them,” April answered. “At least I trust James. I don’t really know Aubrey well enough to say I’d trust her but I think it’s weird that his ex-girlfriend is now planning his wedding.” April looked down to Jessica who wriggled a little in her arms, her face looking like she was a little frustrated.

“That’s her pooping face,” Bianca chuckled, glancing down at her daughter in April’s arms. April didn’t at all looked fazed though, given she had two sons she was used to children pooping in her arms and even worse, the boys had a tendency to pee on her when she took their nappies off. “Anyways, you thinking of not using Aubrey anymore?”

“I don’t know.” April shrugged.

“Well they were like 15 when they were together,” Bianca curled her nose. “They were kids, really.”

“They still had sex,” April widened her eyes. “I mean would you want Tash to come and plan yours and Heath’s wedding?”

“Tash isn’t a wedding planner,” Bianca shook her head. April cocked her head to the side a little as she sighed. “Okay I know what you mean,” Bianca pursed her lips. “But if you trust James then I think you should just let her plan the wedding. You said loved her ideas and if a guy cheated on me with my cousin there would be no way that I’d try it on with him again.” Bianca said and April giving a little nod as Leo crawled over to his mother. He gave a little whine as he pulled himself up to standing, one hand keeping him balanced on the couch as his other went onto April’s knee.

“Eugggg,” Leo whined again as he pushed his little hand against Jessica’s leg. “Maaa.” Leo squealed, his little face looking distressed.

“Are you jealous of mummy having cuddles with little Jessica?” Bianca questioned, leaning forward and lifting Leo up, trying to sit him onto her knee, but Leo squealed as he threw his head back, his legs kicking.

“Leo,” April put on a stern voice as she looked to her son, Bianca struggling to calm the baby as he kicked even more, wriggling to get out of her grasp. “Put him down.” April instructed her sister. Bianca put him on the floor, Leo crying as he crawled over to April, pulling on her legs as he stood up. April passed Jessica to Bianca before she lifted Leo into her arms, his cries immediately stopping as he hid his head into her as she rubbed is back. April leaned down and took her little bottle of sanitiser from the nappy bag and put some onto her hand before rubbing it in. “Leo,” April spoke softly as she held her finger out in front of him. Leo stared at it for a moment before putting his hand on the end, pulling April’s hand forward and putting the side of her finger into his mouth before sucking on it. “He’s cutting a tooth. It soothes him.” April said as she saw the confused looked on Bianca’s face.

“So that’s why he is all of a sudden Mr irritable.” Bianca leaned forward and rubbed his cheek. Leo whined as he pushed her away from him. “Well Jessica I think we will leave your grumpy cousin to his mummy and we’ll go get this nappy of yours changed hmm?” Bianca spoke down to her daughter as she stood up and walked through to the nursery, leaving April to deal with her irritable baby.

Evan closed the cupboard, sighing at the fact there was no clean glasses. He looked to the worktop, seeing them all strewn across it, amongst the pots, pans and cooking utensils. He gave a little shrug as he opened the carton of orange juice and drank from the carton. “Don’t do that.” Ruby scoffed as she walked into the kitchen. She ran the hot tap and squeezed a little washing up liquid onto the sponge before washing out her lunch bowl.

“It’s only me and you that drink from it,” Evan scrunched his face up, watching as she dried the bowl and fork and put them away in the cupboard and drawer. “Don’t you think you should clean the rest of the place?” Evan questioned, walking over to the fridge and putting the juice back on the shelf.

“It’s not my mess.” Ruby mumbled, walking out of the kitchen and heading for the couch, stepping over a hoody of Evan’s that had been left on the floor.

“So this is what this is?” Evan sighed. “That’s not getting cleaned because it’s a mess I made?” Evan questioned.

“I’m sick of always doing everything around here,” Ruby sighed. “I cook, I clean, I do all the laundry,” Ruby exhaled. “You need to start clearing up too. It’s only fair.”

“But you are my girlfriend,” Evan looked shocked. “You know you are a woman. You -”

“Don’t be so chauvinistic,” Ruby raised her voice. “When you stayed at Irene’s you were the perfect gentleman. You used to always be the perfect gentleman, come to think of it,” Ruby sighed. “But ever since we’ve lived together you’ve treated this place like a hotel and me a maid,” Ruby exhaled, looking rather angry. “I’m not wanting you to do everything, I just....help out.”

Evan scrunched his face a little. “They’re women’s jobs.” Evan shrugged.

“No,” Ruby widened her eyes as she shook her head. “If you lived by yourself you’d have to do it, right?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah but I don’t,” Evan answered. “You’re my girlfriend. I...it’s your job too -”

“Don’t bother finishing that sentence,” Ruby scoffed. “Just clean up in here Evan.” Ruby said, walking over to the door, looking moody.

“Where you going?” Evan questioned. “It’s pouring down outside.” Evan said as Ruby opened the door of their apartment.

“Yeah well I need to get out of this dump right now.” Ruby sighed before slamming the door shut, leaving Evan standing alone.

Thank you CharlieAndBraxLover, Kristen and chels24 for the comments.

one hundred and fourteen

Brax had left games day pretty quickly, going up to have a lie down. He didn’t feel sick anymore but he had a pain in his side and felt extremely tired as the day went on. Daniel and Georgia were playing pairs, Kobe sitting this game out to help Charlie with Emmi. “She is so cute,” Kobe said, watching as her little face scrunched as she yawned, her eyes closing tightly before opening again. “I loves her lots.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” Charlie ran her hand through Kobe’s hair. “You do a great job helping mummy and daddy with her too.”

Kobe looked up to Charlie with a grin on his face. “It’s nice to help,” Kobe said, looking back to Emmi whose eyes were slowly closing. “And she’s easy.”

“Mmm yeah she is,” Charlie said, glancing at Georgia who’d apparently had enough of playing pairs with Daniel. “Easier that this monkey was.” Charlie said tickling Georgia’s sides as she climbed up onto the couch.

“Mummy,” Georgia giggled. “I’s easy too.”

“Oh no you were a little monster,” Charlie told her daughter. “You didn’t ever sleep.” Charlie said, Georgia furrowing her eyebrows as she shook her head.

“Noooooo,” Georgia dragged out. “I be good all the times.”

“No Georgia,” Daniel told her. “You just cried and never slept all the time,” Daniel said before crawling across the floor, stopping in front of where Kobe was sitting on the couch. “Not like Emmi. She is the easiest and best baby.”

Georgia furrowed her eyebrows, looking cross that everyone was picking on her. “Well Pickles look like me,” Georgia slapped her own chest. “So there.” Georgia stuck her tongue out at her brothers.

“Her name isn’t that,” Kobe told her. “She is named Emmi.”

“She’s my Pickles.” Georgia answered, leaning down from where she’s plonked herself on Charlie’s knee and rubbed her cheek.

“No don’t wake her,” Kobe instructed. “She’s asleep.”

“She my sister.” Georgia scowled.

“Mines too.” Kobe said, before sticking his tongue out.

“She’s all our sister,” Daniel said, trying to keep the peace. “Both of you leave her to sleep.” Daniel said, giving a curt nod as he looked to Charlie, Daniel feeling like the proud peacemaker. Charlie gave a little chuckle, amused at the bickering before lifting Georgia from her knee, placing her on the couch next to her.

“I’m going to go put her in the cot,” Charlie said, lifting her from Kobe’s grasp. “You three go back and play.” Charlie told them as she walked towards the door of the living room.

“Mummy,” Charlie turned around as she heard Georgia’s voice. “You see to daddy.” Georgia said, waving her index finger out in front of her. Charlie gave a little chuckle before she nodded her head, walking out of the room to take Emmi somewhere more peaceful to sleep then to check on Brax.

Ruby walked back into the house, dripping wet. She shivered as she glanced at the kitchen before looking to Evan, seeing he hadn’t done any of the washing up since she was gone. “I’m going for a shower,” Ruby murmured, needing to get warmed up following being out walking in the rain for almost an hour. She walked down the hall and into the bathroom, taking off her wet clothes, throwing them straight into the laundry basket, shaking her head at Evan’s dirty boxers that were strewn all around the bathroom floor, but not one pair being in the actual basket. “When did you turn into such a pig,” Ruby murmured as she walked over to the shower and switched it on, the shower making a weird noise before dripping out a couple splurts of water before going off. “What the....” Ruby mumbled before grabbing the towel from the rail and walking out of the bathroom. “Evan,” Ruby exhaled. “Ev the shower is broken.”

“Oh yeah,” Evan raised his eyebrows as he looked up to her from sitting on the couch. “You should try to fix it.”

“C’mon,” Ruby sighed. “That’s your department.”

“So, fixings showers is mans work?” Evan questioned. “That’s what you are basically saying, right? But I can’t say housework is a woman’s job?”

“Cos it’s not,” Ruby sighed. “God your brother stays at home and looks after the boys and does housework and cooks.”

“Yeah but I’m not him.” Evan shrugged.

“Please just have a look at the shower. I’m really cold.” Ruby gave him a pleading look. Evan shook his head as he gave a little shrug.

“It’s not my fault you went out in the rain.” Evan muttered.

“Evan,” Ruby moaned. “Stop being a jerk and fix the shower,” Ruby sighed. “Please. I don’t know how to fix it.”

Evan raised his eyebrows as he looked to the kitchen. “Might fix it when that gets cleaned up.”

“Oh for goodness sake stop being so.....argh.” Ruby gave a frustrated scream before she stormed back down to the bathroom, slamming the door shut in annoyance.

Heath yawned as he reached for the nappy, gently lifting Jessica’s legs up and placing it under her bum. He closed the tabs and lifted her up, thinking something didn’t look quite right. He walked back through to the living room, a puzzled look on his face as he walked over to Bianca who was playing bowling on the wii with Kaya. “Babe what’s wrong with this?” Heath questioned, fighting back another yawn. Jessica’s bad sleeping habits having an effect of everyone.

“Dad,” Kaya giggled. “You put it on backwards you silly biscuit.” Kaya continued to laugh as Heath held Jessica out in front of himself to see the backwards nappy.

“Oh,” Heath furrowed his eyebrows. “How can I not even get a simple nappy change right?” Heath questioned, looking sadly to Bianca.

“You are overtired so that won’t help,” Bianca yawned as she put the wii controller on the arm of the couch and took Jessica into her arms as Heath held her out for Bianca to take. She lifted Jessica’s little dress up again, showing Heath the little teddy bears. “See these,” Bianca questioned. “That lets you know it’s the front.” Bianca said.

“I’m so useless,” Heath sighed. “Can’t even change a nappy properly.”

“You’re not useless babe,” Bianca spoke softly as Heath threw himself down on the couch. “This is your first baby. First baby’s are all about mistakes.”

“Well poor little Jessica just can’t catch a break when it comes to daddy looking after her,” Heath sighed. “It feels like I’ve done nothing right with her since she arrived.” Heath pouted sadly. The nappy mistake not being the first one that he’d made.

“You are a great dad,” Kaya told him, walking over to him and kneeling down in front of him, her hands patting his knee soothingly, like she was the parent comforting her child. “You is funny and make good pancakes and tell good stories,” Kaya listed. “You give warm cuddles,” Kaya grinned up at him. “Mummy can do all the other stuff real good so you don’t have too,” Kaya said, Heath smiling down at her, ruffling her hair in thanks at the compliment. “But I can show you the right way to do the nappies.” Kaya said, looking to Jessica before looking back to Heath.

“Thank you Kaya,” Heath smiled at her as he stood up, taking Jessica back into his arms. “Daddy’s not going to be beaten here.” Heath cooed down to Jessica before walking off with Kaya back to the nursery, Bianca smiling at her elder daughter as she passed her.

Thanks

one hundred and fifteen

Charlie lay Emmi down in the moses basket before walking over to the bed and slipping in under the covers. She leaned across, her hand resting on Brax’s chest as her other felt his forehead. He’d appeared down at dinner time but only managed a few bites before saying he didn’t feel like eating and went back up to bed. “How you feeling?” Charlie murmured, feeling that Brax had a bit of a fever.

“My side still really hurts.” Brax winced as Charlie rubbed her hand over where the pain was coming from.

“It’ll just be a stomach bug,” Charlie exhaled. “Or maybe you have trapped wind,” Charlie chuckled. “That could explain the pain in the stomach.”

“It’s not trapped wind,” Brax pushed her hand from him, sounding a little annoyed. “It’s a 24 hour thing. I’ll be fine tomorrow.” Brax said, throwing the covers from him, feeling way to hot.

“Hopefully,” Charlie said. “Because the last thing we need with four kids, one of them being a week old baby, is you getting sick,” Charlie exhaled. “I don’t need a fifth child to look after.”

“Don’t you mean sixth?” Brax murmured. “After all, Rubes still is your daughter too.”

“Okay,” Charlie pursed her lips. “I don’t need a sixth child.”

Brax coughed before glancing at the moses basket. “I hate that you’ve kept her away from me all day,” Brax sounded sad. “I get why, of course I do, but...” Brax trailed off as he bowed his head. “She’s my little Pickles.”

Charlie curled her nose. “Stop calling her that.”

“Never,” Brax gave a cheeky grin. “I do it even more because I know you don’t like it,” Brax stifled a laugh and Charlie elbowed him in the side. “Ahhh.” Brax screamed out in pain, Charlie having hit his sore side.

“Sorry,” Charlie immediately felt bad. “I forgot that was your sore side.”

Brax furrowed his eyebrows. “Well what a caring wife you are forgetting where I hurt.”

Charlie stifled a laugh. “I can kiss it better for you.” Charlie suggested, her hand gently rubbing over it.

“If that’s an invitation for sex then I do not want it.” Brax mumbled.

“You think I want to have sex with a sick person?” Charlie retorted. “No thanks,” Charlie shook her head. “Besides it was only a week ago I pushed our daughter out of there,” Charlie glanced at the moses basket before looking back to Brax. “You’re not getting lucky for a long time mate,” Charlie said, patting his upper arm. “My offer was as it was. Kiss your sore side to make it feel better.”

Brax exhaled as he rubbed over it. “Can you just rub it for a bit?” Brax questioned. “It doesn’t hurt as much when I rub it.”

“Sure I can.” Charlie gave him a comforting smile before she rubbed where he said he was sore, Charlie hoping that it was just a random pain, maybe a pulled muscle or something and not something more serious.

Ruby woke up to lots of banging and clattering. She got out of bed and walked down the hall, seeing Evan in the kitchen, tidying up. “Ev, what you doing?” Ruby squinted her eyes as the light hit them.

“I had an epiphany,” Evan turned to face her, Ruby giving a little chuckle at the sight of him in her yellow rubber cloves that she wore while cleaning up the kitchen. “I’m sorry I’ve been such a jerk lately. I don’t really have an excuse for it but I promise I’ll help out more and be nice gentleman Evan again.” Evan exhaled and Ruby walked closer to him.

“And is this for real or because you want sex again?” Ruby questioned. Evan had still tried it on with Ruby earlier although Ruby was having none of it. She knew Evan would be frustrated given it had been over 2 weeks since they last had sex.

“For real,” Evan exhaled. “I can’t fix the shower though. I’ll need to call a plumber tomorrow.” Evan put one pan on the draining board before taking another, putting it in the sink of hot water and scrubbing it with the scourer.

“And really all of a sudden just out of the blue you’ve decided you should help more?” Ruby questioned.

“It’s not really out of the blue,” Evan replied. “You’ve been nagging at me for over a week now,” Evan exhaled. “And despite my remarks I have been thinking about helping you. I can’t just do as my woman says right away. I can’t be a doormat you know.” Evan looked around to Ruby giving her a cheeky grin.

Ruby sucked in her bottom lip, finding it weird Evan had all of a sudden changed his tune but she wasn’t about to question it given that Evan was cleaning up. She also found it weird he decided to get up and clean at 4am but again, she wasn’t going to question it, after all, he was cleaning up and that was the important thing. It was what Ruby had been trying to get him to do for weeks. “I guess I should just be happy that you are cleaning, eh?” Ruby exhaled.

“Most women would,” Evan replied. “And yeah I figured if I helped more around the house I might get luckier in the bedroom,” Evan gave a cheeky grin as Ruby leaned forward as slapped his arm. “Ouch,” Evan pouted. Ruby laughed before rubbing his arms, leaning up and placing a soft kiss on his lips. Evan smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as Ruby’s hand slid down his stomach and cupped him. “Mmm.” Evan moaned a little as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

“You’re going to have to clean the kitchen more than once to get back in the sack.” Ruby mumbled before pulling back and walking away, leaving Evan a little more than frustrated.

Bianca was pacing the bedroom, Jessica seemingly wide awake in her arms. She was going from screaming at full volume to just lying there contently, but either way, she wasn’t going to go to sleep. “Try feeding her again.” Heath yawned from the bed.

“She doesn’t need a feed,” Bianca barked. “I fed her 20 minutes ago.”

“Well maybe she didn’t get enough,” Heath mumbled. “It’s worth a try.”

“I don’t want to over feed her,” Bianca sighed as Jessica started screaming again. She shushed her as she gently rocked her, continuing to walk around the room. “Here, you try.” Bianca walked over to Heath and handed him their daughter before she got back into the bed, sighing as she put her head back against the pillows, closing her eyes for a moment.

“Mum,” Bianca opened her eyes again as the door opened and Kaya’s sleepy voice could be heard. She walked into the room, rubbing her tired eyes before getting up onto the bed. “Why isn’t she sleeping yet?”

“Sorry cupcake,” Bianca rubbed her daughters back as she cuddled into her. “Sometimes it just takes a while for babies to get to sleep.”

Kaya furrowed her eyebrows. “Maybe hugs from Bella would help.”

“I’m not too sure about that,” Bianca murmured, not wanting her two week old to be having cuddles with a rabbit. “Maybe she still has wind. Try burping her again.” Bianca looked to Heath who moved her in his arms, and started gently patting her back, Jessica’s screams only getting louder.

“I don’t think that’s working. She seems more stressed I’m slapping her.” Heath said as he yawned.

“Dad,” Kaya looked alarmed. “Don’t slap her. Just pat her you silly biscuit.”

“He’s not slapping her.” Bianca was watching Heath with Jessica.

“He just said he was,” Kaya sighed as she pointed to Heath. “Oh Jessica stop it,” Kaya shrieked, sounding annoyed at her little sisters screaming. “I’ve got school tomorrow.”

“She’ll settle soon,” Bianca ran her had through Kaya’s bed hair, sounding hopeful that Jessica actually would fall asleep soon. “C’mon, I’ll take you back to bed.” Bianca said as she led Kaya out of the bedroom, glancing back at Heath, both of them with the same look of hope on their faces that Jessica would fall asleep soon enough.

Thanks

one hundred and sixteen

Charlie had taken the boys to school and was now dropping Georgia off at her day care. Georgia ran down the corridor, shouting out for Miss Chapman who was her favourite teacher. A young looking blonde lady walked out of the room as she pushed her blue rimmed glasses back up her nose. “Hello Georgia dear.” Miss Chapman smiled as Georgia grinned up at her.

“Sorry we are a little late.” Charlie sounded out of breath. It was the first time she’d taken the kids to school since having Emmi and had forgotten how much of a struggle it could be to leave the house with a newborn, Charlie not giving herself enough time to get the boys to their school and Georgia to hers both on time.

“Oh don’t worry,” Miss Chapman said, smiling down at the car seat Charlie was holding where Emmi was laying. “You’ve got a brand new baby to bring out now too.” Miss Chapman made a gooey face at Emmi.

“This my Pickles,” Georgia screeched, her hand rubbing over Emmi’s. “My little Pickles.”

“She is gorgeous,” Miss Chapman smiled, looking back to Charlie. “She looks a lot like you, Georgia.”

“Yes,” Georgia grinned proudly. “My sister Pickles.” Georgia jumped around a little, clearly very excited to show off her new baby sister to her teacher.

“I keep asking her what her sister is called but she just keeps telling me Pickles.” Miss Chapman laughed.

“She is Pickles,” Georgia sighed. “Bye mummy, I go play.” Georgia said, having spotted Poppy and Finn at the sand pit.

“See you sweetie,” Charlie said, Georgia having already ran off into the room. “Her name is Emmi.” Charlie exhaled as she looked back to Miss Chapman.

“Oh what a lovely name,” Miss Chapman smiled down at Emmi again, Emmi’s eyes darting around everywhere, looking at this new place she was in. “She really is gorgeous. Congratulations.”

“Thank you.” Charlie smiled.

“And I must say you are looking well to have just had a baby. You look like she’s been here for months, not a week.” Miss Chapman said.

“She is really is so easy,” Charlie exhaled. “My easiest baby by far. But it’s early days yet so let’s not get to excited to soon,” Charlie gave a nervous laugh before glancing down to Emmi. “Anyways I’ll let you get back to your class.”

“Yeah, see you.” Miss Chapman waved as Charlie walked away before going back in to her classroom.

“Right little lady,” Charlie spoke softly as she glanced down to Emmi as she made her way back to the car. “We’ll get home and see how this daddy of you is huh?” Charlie questioned as she walked across the car park to get into her car and drive back home.

Not long after April had returned from picking up Finn from day care, Bianca and Jessica came around for a little visit. “Weee ooo weeee ooooo weeeee oooooo.” Finn pushed the police car around the carpet, screaming the siring sounds at the top of his lungs.

“Finn,” April exhaled. “Not so loud.”

“But the police need to go arrest the baddies.” Finn pointed to some Lego figures across the carpet, them clearly being the ‘baddies’ the police were about to arrest.

“Well do it quietly,” April told him. “Leo is sleeping and Jessica is about to nod off.”

“Leo up the stairs.” Finn sighed, saddened that he need to play quietly when his little brother was asleep.

“And there’s not much chance of this one falling asleep,” Bianca murmured. “She’s just teasing us.” Bianca looked down to her daughter who was in her arms, her eyes looking all tired and heavy like she was about to fall asleep but Bianca wasn’t too hopeful she actually would.

“Do you feed her till she falls asleep?” April questioned.

“Uhm, nah,” Bianca shook her head. “She’s usually full so stops taking milk before she’s sleepy.” Bianca answered. “How come?”

“Leo used to fall asleep on the breast,” April told her sister. “So he’d feed then be put down already asleep,” April said. “But if she stops feeding then that won’t work,” April pursed her lips, wanting to help her sister with little Jessica’s sleeping. “And Finn was pretty easy to get to sleep too,” April exhaled. “Sorry, not much help,” April stifled a laugh. “Just goes to show she is going to be a high maintenance princess like her mummy.” Bianca raised her eyebrows at her sister’s comment before looking down to Jessica who had put her thumb into her mouth.

“No we don’t do that.” Bianca said, taking her thumb from her mouth, Jessica looking a little distressed before bringing her little thumb back to her mouth.

“Bee.” April spoke softly.

“What?” Bianca looked up at her sister.

“Let her suck her thumb.” April said.

“No,” Bianca answered. “It’s such a bad habit and it’ll be hard to break when she is older and it can affect her teeth growth.” Bianca exhaled.

“But maybe it’ll comfort her and she’ll sleep,” April said. “She needs sleep. That’s really important right now and not just for her but for you and Heath and Kaya too,” April said. “If you really don’t want her sucking her thumb then get her some dummies,” April suggested. “It’ll soothe her and be a little comfort because she’s not with mummy,” April said. “You should try it. I bet you it’ll work.”

“Maybe.” Bianca sounded unsure before giving a big yawn, her eyes dropping a little.

“Right you,” April said, taking Jessica into her arms, the little girl still awake. “You need to get some sleep so how about you go up to one of the guest bedrooms and get rested,” April told her sister. “I’ll look after Jessica. Me and Finn might even work out how she works and get her to sleep, eh buddy?” April said, glancing at Finn who was still happily playing with his cars and Lego’s. He nodded, but didn’t look up from his game.

“Oh no I can’t leave you with her,” Bianca said, desperate to go for a nap but not wanting to dump her baby on her sister. “I can’t just leave you to deal with her while I sleep.”

“I’m offering,” April said. “And it’s not like she is screaming her head off,” April glanced down at her niece. “Go nap. Now.” April spoke in her stern mummy voice.

“Yes mother.” Bianca murmured as she stood up and walked up the stairs to get some much needed sleep.

Ruby walked into the apartment after uni, seeing it was spotless. She put her bag and folders down before walking further into the room. “Something smells nice,” Ruby sniffed. “Are you baking?”

“Indeed,” Evan nodded as Ruby sat on the stool and the breakfast bar. “Blueberry muffins.” Evan said, pointing to the oven where they were cooking.

“So you’ve cleaned up and now you are baking....” Ruby trailed off.

“I also booked us dinner reservations for 7.30,” Evan said. “Just at your dad’s place but I figured it would be nice to go out. We’ve not been out in ages, right?”

“Nah.” Ruby shook her head, not able to remember the last time they had gone out for dinner.

“I also called a plumber around and he fixed the shower,” Evan said as he put away the already washed up baking utensils.

“Okay so you’ve cleaned up, baked then cleaned up again, got the shower fixed and are taking me out for dinner tonight,” Ruby pursed her lips. “Who are you and what have you done with my Evan.”

Evan chuckled a little. “Like I said, I had an epiphany.”

“Which was?” Ruby questioned.

“I just realised you do a lot more than me around here,” Evan exhaled. “And we are a couple and should share the load,” Evan said, giving a little smile. “So, I’m doing just that. Helping.”

Ruby hated to admit it but she was a little suspicious of his sudden ‘click of a finger’ turn around. “And that’s really all it is?” Ruby questioned. “You don’t want anything in return or have done something you know I’ll get mad at?”

“No,” Evan shook his head. “Babe seriously listen,” Evan walked over to her, taking her hands in his an squeezing them gently. “We’ve been arguing a lot lately and it’s because I was slacking and I....I want to make it up to you. So let me take you out for a nice dinner tonight and I’ll start helping more in this place too.” Evan said, flashing Ruby a smile. Ruby was glad she was already sitting because his cute grins that made his eyes sparkle made her feel weak at the knees.

“Okay.” Ruby still wasn’t 100 per cent convinced but she decided to let it go for now and go out and have a nice evening with her boyfriend.

one hundred and seventeen

Georgia and Poppy were playing dress up. Georgia being Elsa from Frozen as Poppy chose to wear a Snow White dress. Leah had come around to visit Emmi, bringing some gifts with her, Georgia having ripped them open within seconds and had made off with a little purple hippo teddy, the little girl clearly wanting to claim it as her own. “Aww,” Leah gushed as she held Emmi in her arms. “It makes me miss my ones being this little.” Leah couldn’t take her eyes off Emmi as she spoke.

“So are we to expect a little Copeland baby soon then?” Charlie questioned, her eyebrows rising slightly.

“No no no no no,” Leah sounded aghast as she shook her head. “No more babies for me. I’m good with the two I have.” Leah answered.

“Mummy,” Poppy frowned at her from across the living room. “Veej and me is not babies,” Poppy shook her head. “He’s 10 and I’s nearly 5.”

“I know sweetheart but you two will always be my babies,” Leah said, Poppy still shaking her head, of course being far too old to still be referred to as a baby. “Aw she does make me clucky though.”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “Go visit Jessica then,” Charlie said. “She’s being a little monkey. Giving mummy and daddy trouble.”

“Irene was saying she’s not a sleeper,” Leah replied. “Hopefully she gets to know what she’s supposed to do soon.” Leah said, moving Emmi a little in her arms, sniffing in the baby smell from her, the smell making her uterus skip.

“Leah,” Georgia said as she ran over to her, the purple hippo still in her grasp. “Daddy is dead.” Georgia looked so serious as she spoke.

“Georgia Mae,” Charlie gasped. “You don’t say things like that. Daddy’s not dead.”

Georgia furrowed her eyebrows at her mother. “Well he is sick.” Georgia sighed, moving her hair from in front of her face.

“He is?” Leah said, looking to Charlie who nodded her head.

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “He’s still gone to work though,” Charlie shook her head lightly. “He’s not been able to eat since Saturday,” Charlie exhaled, it now being Monday afternoon. “Had some vomiting on Sunday morning. He’s really tired all the time and has a constant pain in his side.”

“See,” Georgia said. “He gonna die.” Georgia widened her eyes.

“Georgia,” Charlie shook her head at her daughter, feeling a little disturbed at her three year olds comment. “Why are you saying that?” Charlie questioned. “Where did you even hear something that?”

Georgia stared at her mother for a moment before she shrugged, running off to play again. “But that’s strange though,” Leah pursed her lips. “Hopefully he feels better soon.”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “And I feel bad because I’ve been making him keep his distance from Emmi but I don’t want her getting sick,” Charlie exhaled, glancing down at her baby daughter who was looking very content in Leah’s arms. “I mean it’s not even like Emmi can catch a sore side,” Charlie sighed, not sure if she was doing the right thing. “But I...” Charlie bit her lip.

“You just want to be safe. I get that. She’s brand new,” Leah exhaled as she gently rocked Emmi in her arms. “But I do hope Brax is okay.”

“I’m sure he’ll be fine,” Charlie murmured. “Besides, you know what men can be like. They cough once and think they’ve got the flu,” Charlie chuckled. “Always make things a bigger deal than they need to be.” Charlie exhaled also thinking that if he’d managed to get himself to work then he mustn’t be feeling that bad.

Ruby and Evan were at the restaurant. When Brax had taken it over, he’d renamed it Charlie’s, much to the annoyance of Charlie. She didn’t see why he couldn’t have called it after the kids or Braxton’s or that Brax could have come up with a better name, or even just kept it as Angelo’s. “Have we even been since it’s the whole renovations happened?” Evan questioned.

“Yeah,” Ruby scrunched her face. “We came to the re-opening party,” Ruby said. “Then we went on that double date with your mate Scott and his girlfriend Jane a few months ago.”

“Ah yeah,” Evan nodded. “Still, your dad has a better taste at decorating a place than Angelo did,” Evan gave a little chuckle. “It’s looks real nice in here.”

“Think my mum had more to do with that than Brax,” Ruby retorted as she glanced at her stepfather who looked he was in pain as he took a meal over to someone. “So,” Ruby looked back to Evan before glancing down at the menu then looking back to Evan. “You fancy getting a couple of pizzas and sharing?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah can do.” Evan gave a little smile as he was staring at someone sitting a few tables away. Ruby looked around, seeing they didn’t know the lady or the man she was with.

“You can go share a pizza with her if you want.” Ruby muttered, Evan shaking his head as she looked back to Ruby.

“Sorry no,” Evan answered. “I uhm....” Evan took a deep breath. “She’s pregnant. I was just....” Evan trailed off, looking into Ruby’s eyes. “Maybe it’s just with Emmi and Jessica arriving and being around Finn and Leo a lot but I.....I want us to have a baby Rubes,” Evan said as he leaned forward, rubbing her hand as he took it in his. Ruby widened her eyes, shocked. She knew there had to have been a reason for Evan’s recent turn around but she didn’t expect it to be this.

“A baby?” Ruby’s voice came out all high and squeaky.

“Why not?” Evan questioned. “We’ve been together around the same time as Heath and Bianca and they’ve got a little one,” Evan said. “We have a future together, right?”

“Yeah but,” Ruby’s heart started beating faster as she felt her hands getting a little sweaty. “We are both still in uni, we both only have weekend jobs, I...” Ruby exhaled, her head shaking.

“Yeah but I have all that money from my dad,” Evan answered. “And we always cope when we look after your siblings or our nephews,” Evan said, his hand going up and down the neck of his beer bottle. “Would a baby be such a bad thing?”

“Well no ,” Ruby answered. “But like I say we are both at uni and we’re not married yet,” Ruby answered. “Don’t you want to finish uni and get married first?”

Evan gave a little shrug. “We are in love and commit. What does it matter if we get married first or not?” Evan questioned.

“Because I.....” Ruby stopped talking as Ashley came over to take their order. Ruby gave her a smile, of course knowing the girl, Ruby working at the restaurant at weekends. “Can we just have dinner?” Ruby questioned. “We can talk about this later.” Ruby murmured, not entirely sure how she felt at the idea of a baby right now.

“Hey.” Heath walked into the house, pushing the door shut with his foot.

“Shhh.” Bianca rushed over to him, her hand going over his mouth. Heath looked a little confused as he pulled himself away from her.

“What?” Heath questioned.

“Don’t you hear that?” Bianca whispered.

Heath looked around the room, trying to hear something before shaking his head. “I don’t hear anything.” Heath exhaled.

“Exactly,” Bianca grinned, taking Heath’s hand and leading him through to their bedroom. “She’s sleeping,” Bianca whispered as they looked down to the moses basket. “She’s been down for 20 minutes.” Bianca sounded amazed, Jessica having never been asleep for as long without waking up before.

“Good little muffin.” Heath smiled as he went to touch her cheek but Bianca batted his hand away.

“Don’t touch her.” Bianca spoke through gritted teeth, not wanting Heath to wake their daughter now she was finally asleep.

“I thought you didn’t want her using dummies,” Heath gestured to the dummy that was in Jessica’s mouth. “You said they were a hard habit to break when they were older.”

“I know I did but,” Bianca took Heath’s hand and led him out of the room, not wanting to stand talking over Jessica for too long just in case they woke her. “April convinced me to give them a go and clearly it’s working already,” Bianca said as they both sat down on the couch. “It’s comforting her so she doesn’t need to be held.”

“Well as long as she’s getting sleep I guess we should be thankful,” Heath exhaled. “And Kaya will get more sleep now.” Heath said.

“We will get sleep now.” Bianca sounded like all her birthdays and Christmases has come at once at the thought of getting a little sleep.

“Well what we waiting for?” Heath yawned. “Let’s go sleep.” Heath led Bianca back to their bedroom, both of them excited at the prospect of getting at least a couple hours before Jessica would wake up for a feed.

Thanks

One hundred and eighteen

Charlie was on the rocking chair, gently rocking as Emmi fed. “Alright?” Charlie smiled as Brax walked into the room, just home from work.

“Eugh,” Brax grunted lightly as he walked through to the bathroom. “My side is still giving me a lot of pain,” Brax spoke louder so Charlie could hear him. “I....” Brax trailed off. “Babe come in here a sec.” Brax said, Charlie picking up that he sounded worried.

“What for?” Charlie murmured as she stood up, Emmi continuing to feed as Charlie walked to the bathroom door, seeing Brax standing over the toilet in mid pee.

“Come and look at this.” Brax said. Charlie screwed her face up as she shook her head. “I’m good here thanks.”

“Babe please,” Brax said, Charlie sighed as she walked over to the toilet. “Look.” Brax gestured down and Charlie looked, her eyes widening.

“There’s blood in your pee,” Charlie sounded worried for her husband. “That’s not normal.”

“You think not?” Brax muttered as he flushed the toilet before taking his work pants off, throwing them to the laundry basket. He walked over to the sink to wash his hands. “Maybe I’ll Google my symptoms.”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. “We are not going to start with Google,” Charlie exhaled. “Just.....maybe once the kids have been taken to school tomorrow we can go see a doctor,” Charlie said. “Get you a professional opinion.” Charlie said, watching as Brax cleaned his teeth.

“Going to the doctor will make it real,” Brax murmured, Charlie seeing he looked a little scared there obviously something wrong with him. “You uhm....” Brax cleared his throat. “You can come too, right?” Brax questioned, walking over to Charlie and putting one hand on her arm as his other cupped Emmis little head, Emmi still feeding from her mother.

“Sure I will.” Charlie answered, Charlie already seeing fear in Brax’s eyes and they were only talking about going to hospital.

Ruby was colouring a picture from Finn’s picture book. She picked up the orange crayon and coloured the little bow tie on the clown. “Can I borrow your kids?” Ruby questioned, looking up to April who was feeding Leo his dinner. James had taken Finn to Yabbie Creek so he could get a McDonalds as a treat, but April stayed behind to feed Leo and good job she did as Ruby paid a visit.

“How long we talking for?” April’s head shot up in interested and the prospect of the boys spending at least a night with Ruby, allowing her and James to get some alone time.

“Like a night.” Ruby shrugged.

“You could take them on Saturday morning at like, I dunno, say 9am and then they can stay the night and Jay and I will come collect them on Sunday like, late afternoon.” April suggested as she put some mashed sweet potato onto the spoon, making airplane noises as Leo opened his mouth and took the food.

Ruby laughed at her friend as she threw the orange crayon down and picked up the yellow one, going to colour in the polka dots on the clowns pants. “Want to get rid of them that badly?”

“Honestly?” April nodded her head. “Jay and I would love having a day without the boys. It’s never been just the two us in...” April shook her head. “Well it’s never really been just the two of us,” April murmured. “Finn was around when we got together but you know what I mean.”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded, looking at Leo who had sweet potato all around his mouth. She gave him a grin before continuing to colour the picture. “Well anyways Ev’s wants us to have a baby.” Ruby said. April stopped what she was doing and shot a glance at her friend.

“So you want my kids in hopes that they will put him off the idea?” April questioned.

“Well if they came all hyped up on sugar it wouldn’t be the worst thing.” Ruby murmured.

“Yes it would,” April sniggered. “You do not want me to give you Finn on a sugar high,” April told her. “Although Leo is cutting another tooth so he might give Uncle Evan some trouble,” April said, giving her son another spoonful of sweet potato. “But you don’t want kids?”

“I want kids,” Ruby replied. “But I’m only 21 and still in uni. I’m in no rush to have them,” Ruby said, putting the crayon down. She glanced at Leo again who was giving himself a drink from his sippy cup. “He’s a little cutie but I’m sorry I just couldn’t imagine having kids right now.”

“Don’t apologise,” April exhaled. “If I had the chance to....” April stopped talking unsure if she should say it. “I wouldn’t change anything about Finn or Leo but do I wish I was older when I had them?” April questioned, Ruby already knowing the answer. “Saying that it would be cool for my boys to be close in age with their cousins.” April said, raising her eyebrows a little.

“Well Jessica will be close with Leo.” Ruby remarked.

“I guess she will,” April said. “Well you never know maybe after looking after the boys for the weekend you’ll decide you do want a bubba now.” April exhaled, going to feed Leo again as he reached out and squealed for more food.

Bianca had decided that while she’d allow Jessica the use of a dummy when she was asleep, it would only be then that she’d get one. Even though it had only been one night where Bianca had tried her with the dummy, it had made a remarkable difference. Jessica had still woken a lot but nowhere near as much as the previous two weeks. Heath had wanted to go into the mall at Yabbie Creek to buy their daughter some cute little dresses for at least a week now, and now that they’d both been able to get a decent amount of sleep, Bianca felt up to going shopping. Heath was pushing the pram rather proudly through the mall as Bianca walked close to him. Jessica, who at this point was sleeping, was sucking on a little pink dummy with a yellow flower on the front. “I hate that,” Bianca murmured. “It blocks here cute little face.” Bianca pouted sadly.

“But she is asleep,” Heath said as they went into a shop. He was excited to get her some cute little dresses. They didn’t know what they were having so bought only neutral baby grows, any dress Jessica had worn since she was born being Kaya’s old baby clothes. “And that’s all that matters,” Heath said, stopping at the baby clothes section of the shop, his eyes lighting up as he saw so many cute items he wanted to buy for his daughter. “Ahh Muffin you need to wake up to see all these cute dresses, you do.” Heath cooed down at her.

“No she can sleep,” Bianca said, happy it seemed her daughter was catching up on all the sleep she missed in the first two weeks of her life. “God Heath,” Bianca laughed as Heath already had 3 dresses in his hand that he wanted to purchase. “You are more excited to come dress shopping than Kaya would be.”

Heath shrugged. “Well they are for my little Muffin,” Heath cooed at his daughter, Jessica of course unaware of this as she was sound asleep. “Daddy can’t wait to dress you in all these cute little dresses,” Heath said. Bianca laughed at him again, but her heart was swelling, seeing how much love he had for their daughter. “Oh imagine the cute little dress we can get her for April’s wedding,” Heath said. “Oh and for ours,” Heath smiled. “Aww our little baby flower girl.” Heath looked besotted as he continued to look at his daughter.

“Since when have we been planning our wedding?” Bianca questioned.

“We haven’t but it’ll happen one day.” Heath said before looking back to the dresses, wishing he could buy his daughter the whole shop.

Thanks

one hundred and nineteen

Two days after their first visit to the hospital, Charlie and Brax had gone back to get the results of the blood tests that the doctor had taken from Brax. They were sitting waiting in a hospital room, Emmi fast asleep in the car seat that was on the floor next to Brax’s seat. “It’s bad. It’s something serious.” Brax’s legs were shaking as he was holding his head in his hands, looking downwards.

“We don’t know that yet.” Charlie was trying to stay calm as she rubbed his back.

“Charlie,” Brax looked round to his wife. “I was peeing blood,” Brax exhaled. “There is clearly something wrong.”

Charlie pursed her lips, not sure what to reply. Of course she was trying to stay positive but it did seem like there would be something wrong with Brax. For the last two days they’d did their best to avoid the what if’s but now they were in the hospital about to get the results, there was no more avoiding the topic. She was saved from saying anything as the opened and Dr Elliot walked into the room along with another doctor they’d never seen before. “Mr and Mrs Braxton,” Dr Elliot said. “This is Dr Reed,” Dr Elliot told them. “I’m going to leave you with him and he’ll talk things over with you.” Dr Elliot said. Charlie thanked him before he left the room.

“Mr and Mrs Braxton,” Dr Reed shook their hands before taking a seat opposite them. “I’m Dr Reed.”

“Call me Charlie,” Charlie told him. “This is Darryl.” Charlie felt weird addressing him as Darryl but felt it right in these circumstances.

“Brax,” Brax said. “Everyone calls me Brax.”

“Brax and Charlie,” Dr Reed nodded his head as he glanced at the car seat. “Cute little one you have there,” Dr Reed smiled as he looked at Emmi. “She your first?”

“She’s our fifth,” Brax answered. “But look we’re not here to small talk,” Brax exhaled. “Can you just tell me what’s wrong with me?” Brax said, feel Charlie reaching out and taking his hand in hers, giving it a squeeze.

Dr Reed took a deep breath. “You have liver cancer,” Dr Reed paused, knowing they’d need time to take in what he’d told them. He glanced from Charlie to Brax, looking at their expressions. Charlie with her eyes puffy like she was going to cry and Brax, blank and un-readable. Dr Reed exhaled, not about to overload them with too much information at once. “We of course would like to start treatment straight away,” Dr Reed said. “Unfortunately right now the tumour is too large for us to safely remove it,” Dr Reed exhaled. “We’ll use Chemotherapy to shrink the tumour down.”

“And you want to start that right away?” Charlie questioned, looking at her husband, seeing he was just staring out blankly.

“Within the next few weeks, yes,” Dr Reed nodded. “We can talk over what kinds of chemo he can have and see which Brax would prefer to try.”

Brax sniggered loudly. “I’d prefer not to have cancer.” Brax mumbled, his hand dropping from Charlie’s grasp as he pulled Emmi’s car seat closer to him and unclipped her, lifting his daughter into a hug.

“I’ll go get some pamphlets and give you two some time to take this in.” Dr Reed said as he walked out of the room, looking back for a second to see two broken adults, Charlie trying to give Brax some comfort.

April and Bianca were meeting with Aubrey, going to look at some bridesmaid dresses. Jessica had of course come along on the trip, Bianca not yet ready to leave her two and a half week old daughter, even if it was only with her father. “Aww she is lovely,” Aubrey cooed into the pram, Jessica’s little eyes darting around. “She’s looks pretty new. How old?” Aubrey said, looking up to Bianca.

“Two and a half weeks.” Bianca smiled down at her daughter.

“Aw so precious,” Aubrey smiled before looking back to the women. “So, just you and your sister today?” Aubrey questioned, seeming to remember April had said she had two bridesmaids.

“Mmm,” April nodded. “Ruby, my other bridesmaid, she had to go look after her siblings. Her parents had some kind of appointment they needed to get too.” April said and Aubrey gave a little nod before they started to walk down to the first shop.

“I see,” Aubrey exhaled. “And what about the flower girl?” Aubrey questioned.

“Trust me you do not want to shop for dresses with her,” Bianca said, half laughing, half sounding rather serious. “She’s at home with her dad for today.”

“Well I guess someone needs to look after daddy, right?” Aubrey laughed. “I’m sure little Finn will be keeping Jay right.”

“Oh I don’t doubt it,” April muttered. “But hey, do a good job with my wedding and maybe my sister here will book you to help plan hers.”

Aubrey shot a glance at Bianca. “I’m a good price,” Aubrey told her, Bianca giving a little laugh. “Oh hey, I’ve an idea,” Aubrey sounded excited as she stopped walking and put her hand onto the bar of the pram. “What about a double wedding?” Aubrey suggested. “I’ve done one of them before for a couple of best mates.” Aubrey said.

“Oh no,” Bianca shook her head. “This is April’s day,” Bianca said. “Heath and I will have our own one day. Jessica is way too young and I’ve got a lot of baby weight to lose before I’d be happy seeing myself in a wedding dress.”

“Ahh shush,” April hit her sister’s arm. “You are gorgeous and look amazing. And I think a double wedding would be cool.” April’s face lit up.

Bianca scrunched her face, her head shaking. “Uhm. Yeah let’s not do that.” Bianca said, April giving a little frown as she walked into the store.

Leo was building a tower with his blocks. When he’d finished putting them together, he’d look to Finn, who would knock it down, resulting in Leo bursting into hysterics. “Why is it so funny daddy?” Finn questioned after about the 10th time he’d knocked the tower down.

“I don’t know,” James answered. “Little bro just finds it funny.”

“It was,” Finn said. “Not really now,” Finn shook his head, hoping to play a different game now but Leo was once again stacking his tower. “Can we do another one?”

“What do you want to play little dude?” James questioned, loving spending time with his boys, just playing. A few of his friends told him he was a sissy for quitting his job to look after the boys but James could think of nothing better to do with this life in this moment.

“Uhm....” Finn sucked in his bottom lip.

“Can we colour for mummy?” Finn questioned.

“Sure we can,” James ruffled Finn’s hair. “I’ll go get your book and crayons,” James told him. “I think Leo is waiting on you,” James gestured to Leo who was looking rather excited as he was waving his arms out, babbling at Finn.

“Oh Leo,” Finn sighed as he crawled back over to his little brother. “Once more, okay?” Finn said before he threw his arm out, knocking the tower down. Leo once again erupted into laughter. James laughed at his youngest son’s enjoyment at the game before going through to find Finn’s colouring book and crayons so he could colour a picture for his mummy.

Thanks :) It will probably be about a week before I can update again, but I hope you like this one for now....

one hundred and twenty

Brax and Charlie had sat the kids down, telling them that daddy was sick. Georgia didn’t really understand much and quickly ran off to play again. Daniel went really quiet and ran off up the stairs, while Kobe stared at him silently for a long time before he climbed up onto his knee and cuddled into him, Brax wrapping his arms around his youngest son, welcoming the comforting embrace. “I’m sorry Brax,” Ruby mumbled, Evan wrapping an arm around her in comfort. “I...what....what’s the next step?”

Charlie could see Brax’s nostrils flaring. She could see he didn’t want to talk. “He’ll get chemo,” Charlie took a deep breath, right now, needing to be the strong one. “They need to shrink the tumour before he can have surgery.”

“Sh*t,” Evan exhaled. Kobe shot him a glance, his eyes widening. “Sorry Kobes,” Evan said. “It’s just not very nice news, is it?” Evan questioned. Kobe shook his head, keeping himself cuddled into Brax. “You uhm...when does all this start?”

“He’ll go in next week for his first session.” Charlie spoke quietly, Ruby seeing her mother also needed to let it all out.

“Well anytime you need us to, you know we’ll be here to watch the kids and help out with anything,” Ruby said. “I can...I can even do more shifts at the restaurant if you need me.”

“Talking like I am dying already,” Brax muttered. “I...I don’t need anyone to be any different with me.” Brax sounded annoyed as he continued the hug with Kobe.

“They’re not,” Charlie said. “They’re just letting you know that they’ll be here for you. Here to help out,” Charlie exhaled, knowing how hard it must be for Brax right now but trying to keep him positive. “I....” Charlie stood up from the couch. “I should go see to Daniel,” Charlie said as she walked out of the room, walking up the stairs to see if her son was okay. She walked into his room, seeing him sitting on the bottom bunk, hugging Rocky penguin close to him. “You okay, buddy?” Charlie questioned as she sat herself on the bed next to her son.

“I didn’t mean to make dad sick.” Daniel said as he sniffed back, a tear rolling down his cheek.

“What?” Charlie was confused. “Buddy you didn’t make dad sick.”

“Are you sure?” Daniel questioned. “Because when I had my cancer he gave me the stuff I needed to get better and now he doesn’t have enough so he is sick.”

“No no no,” Charlie shook her head, pulling Daniel into a hug. “Oh sweetheart no. It’s not like that at all,” Charlie assured him. “You had a very different type of cancer than dad has,” Charlie told him, sniffing back herself as she rubbed his back. “The stuff dad gave you, dad has plenty of that. He’s fine there,” Charlie exhaled. “Dad’s liver has a bad growth on it.”

“Oh,” Daniel sniffed back as he wiped his hand across his face. “Does he need to get the chemo too?” Daniel questioned and Charlie gave a little nod as she wiped tears from Daniel’s cheeks. “Chemo is horrible,” Daniel exhaled. “I don’t want dad to have to get that.”

“I know sweetheart,” Charlie continued to rub his cheek. “But it will make dad better.”

“Yeah,” Daniel spoke quietly, giving a little nod. “And I can go sit with him,” Daniel said. “I can take his mind away from the chemo,” Daniel said. “We can talk about when we go on another holiday.”

“Yeah,” Charlie gave a little laugh, welcoming the comment from her son. “You and dad can plan the best holiday ever for when he’s better huh?”

“It has to be somewhere where we go on a plane,” Daniel said. “Not Australia.”

“Of course.” Charlie said, giving her son a little smile as she pinched his cheek.

“Does dad have Dr Fisher too?” Daniel wondered. “She’s really nice with me.”

“No he has a different doctor,” Charlie answered. “But he is going to get the best care he can get,” Charlie assured her son. “Remember how great everyone was with you?” Charlie questioned and Daniel gave a little nod in response. “Well they’ll be just the same with dad, I promise.”

“Good.” Daniel managed a little smile but Charlie could see he was very worried for his father. She exhaled lightly before pulling her son into a hug, the pair of them bringing comfort to each other.

April walked down the stairs and into the living room, having been putting Leo to bed. Finn was already sound asleep in his room, giving James and April the night. “What you looking at?” April questioned, James staring at the laptop screen.

“I was thinking about booking us a hotel in Sydney for Saturday night,” James looked round to April. “So we don’t have a drive home at night and can have a nice meal and some drinks.” James suggested.

“I thought you had work at the club on Saturday night though?” April questioned.

“I swapped shifts with Eddy,” James answered. “He’ll do my Saturday if I do Sunday for him.”

“Ah okay,” April gave a little smile, liking the idea of a night in a hotel with her fiancé. “Sounds good to me then,” April shuffled closer to James so she could see the laptop screen. “Pick one with a balcony. Oh and a Jacuzzi in the room.” April beamed.

“It’s only one night in Sydney darling.” James laughed.

“Well it doesn’t mean we need to go to a pokey little bedsit,” April exhaled. “We can make a nice night of it,” April said, her hand caressing his chest, over his t-shirt. “And since we know for sure we won’t be interrupted by a four year olds bad dream or a teething bubba,” April raised her eyebrows, giving James a suggestive smile. “It won’t have to be so......rushed.”

“Mmm,” James murmured before they shared a kiss. “Maybe you could give me a little preview right now.” James said, his hand caressing her thigh, under her skirt.

“Mmm.” April smiled into the kiss as it deepened, the laptop sliding from James’ knee, hitting the floor with a thud.

“Mummy.” April sighed as she pulled back, her forehead resting against James’ for a moment.

“Of course.” James murmured as Finn walked across to the couch, rubbing over his tired eyes.

“I had a bad dream.” Finn said as he climbed up onto April’s knee.

“Aww buddy,” April ran her hand over his hair. “You tell mummy all about it huh?” April said, Finn cuddling into her as he stared telling her about his bad dream.

Charlie woke up, her eyes squinting as she saw light coming from the laptop screen. “What you doing?” Charlie spoke in a whisper, although not really necessary. She shuffled over in the bed, seeing Brax looking at a page on liver cancer. “Brax.” Charlie shook her head and she pulled the laptop from him, closing the top down.

“I need too.” Brax reached out, trying to get the laptop back but Charlie pulled it further away.

“No. No you don’t,” Charlie exhaled. “Looking at things like that will only make you worry even more,” Charlie spoke softly. “I know it’s hard for you but just go by what Dr Reed tells you.”

“I...” Brax shook his head before he took a deep breath. Charlie could see his nostrils flare and that he was trying his hardest not to cry.

“Brax, this is me,” Charlie said, her hand rubbing his upper arm. “I know you probably think you need to be really strong right now for the kids and for me and Heath, anyone else,” Charlie paused for a moment, looking into Brax’s eyes, seeing he was desperately trying not to cry. “But you don’t,” Charlie told him. “You can let go with me,” Charlie said. “I know you must be scared and worried and...I....you don’t need to be strong, not for me.” Charlie was welling up as she spoke.

“I’m fine.” Brax’s voice broke as he spoke, Charlie seeing a tear escape his eye.

“Brax.” Charlie spoke so quietly it was almost inaudible. Brax looked down to her and Charlie gently rubbed her hand over his cheek, Brax breaking down into tears as he fell into Charlie, Charlie holding him in a tight embrace, letting him get some hurt and upset out at the news of his cancer.

Archived