Who was the earliest gay character on the show?

Guest matty

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically you would say Christopher Fletcher (Pippa and Tom's son) is the earliest gay character to appear on the show but of course he was only a baby in 1988 when he was born whereas he returned in 2003 knowing his sexuality.

To tell you the truth this is a hard question to answer as I can't remember a lot of the 1990s to be honest.

Technically you would say Christopher Fletcher (Pippa and Tom's son) is the earliest gay character to appear on the show but of course he was only a baby in 1988 when he was born whereas he returned in 2003 knowing his sexuality.

To tell you the truth this is a hard question to answer as I can't remember a lot of the 1990s to be honest.

Was he definitely gay though? I remember him being attraxtes to Seth or something, but was he actually gay or just confuse? I can't remember all the details.

I am the same way with a lot of the 90s too, especially the mid 90s.

i think it was Mandy Thomas [shannon Reed's gal pal] ....who we 1st saw in about 1995 !!!!!

She was gay?! Didn't Shannon leave with her in her last ever episode?

Was he definitely gay though? I remember him being attraxtes to Seth or something, but was he actually gay or just confuse? I can't remember all the details.

I think he was confused. There's a script of his last episode where he's questioning if he is gay or not: http://www.backtothebay.net/episodes/scripts/2003/3544.php

i think it was Mandy Thomas [shannon Reed's gal pal] ....who we 1st saw in about 1995 !!!!!

Mandy was VERY muchly gay ,,,,,,,and yep, Shannon left the Bay with her ....... they [both] went to Paris !!!!!

I am the same way with a lot of the 90s too, especially the mid 90s.

Who the flaming hell is Seth. The one from Emmerdale!

The first male may have been Irene's I.T teacher 1998. Played by the same actor who played Barry Hyde.

Then there was Stephano in 2000.

Hmm, slightly ambiguity at the end or otherwise I thought it was definitely slanted towards Christopher being gay.Pippa indicated that she thought he was long before he started taking an interest in Seb so it was obviously deeper than a one-off attraction to another boy.(More likely, any last minute backpedalling was to please the network, who insisted on the storyline being bowdlerised.)

And there was the Charlie/Joey storyline in 2009-pity it was short-lived. It had been my favourite storyline so far.

Do anyone remember Matilda's boyfriend Dean Silverman who was on the show in 2006 in Episodes 4244-4283?? He was gay too and his boyfriend was Gareth.

I actually found the short-lived Charlie and Joey storyline very overrated in my opinion!

Yes I remember Dean as he was at the retreat with Matilda. He was also known by Drew Curtis because they attended the same boarding school together but they didn't get along though.

Archived