Who was the earliest gay character on the show?

Guest matty

i think it was Mandy Thomas [shannon Reed's gal pal] ....who we 1st saw in about 1995 !!!!!

She was gay?! Didn't Shannon leave with her in her last ever episode?

Mandy was VERY muchly gay ,,,,,,,and yep, Shannon left the Bay with her ....... they [both] went to Paris !!!!!

I remember that well, I just didn't know that they were lesbians. Was it explicitly stated?

And there was the Charlie/Joey storyline in 2009-pity it was short-lived. It had been my favourite storyline so far.

Do anyone remember Matilda's boyfriend Dean Silverman who was on the show in 2006 in Episodes 4244-4283?? He was gay too and his boyfriend was Gareth.

Yes but that was a lot more recent.

Technically you would say Christopher Fletcher (Pippa and Tom's son) is the earliest gay character to appear on the show but of course he was only a baby in 1988 when he was born whereas he returned in 2003 knowing his sexuality.

To tell you the truth this is a hard question to answer as I can't remember a lot of the 1990s to be honest.

Was he definitely gay though? I remember him being attraxtes to Seth or something, but was he actually gay or just confuse? I can't remember all the details.

I am the same way with a lot of the 90s too, especially the mid 90s.

i think it was Mandy Thomas [shannon Reed's gal pal] ....who we 1st saw in about 1995 !!!!!

She was gay?! Didn't Shannon leave with her in her last ever episode?

Who the flaming hell is Seth. The one from Emmerdale!

The first male may have been Irene's I.T teacher 1998. Played by the same actor who played Barry Hyde.

Then there was Stephano in 2000.

Sorry, Seb. I don't remember either of those. Were they definitely gay or was it just indicates?

Hmm, slightly ambiguity at the end or otherwise I thought it wthat as definitely slanted towards Christopher being gay.Pippa indicated that she thought he was long before he started taking an interest in Seb so it was obviously deeper than a one-off attraction to another boy.(More likely, any last minute backpedalling was to please the network, who insisted on the storyline being bowdlerised.)

Yes, it did seem to me that it was left to pretty ambiguous.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Both definite. Irene was hoping for a romance with him as they were getting on really well in class. Then he asked her out for a date. The diner. Well, she thought it was a date, so she got all dolled up, and when she turned up she got introduced to his boyfriend at the table. But by the end of the night she said to Ailsa that she had made two friends instead of one. When Ailsa tells Alf he says something hilarious like "but I seen him fishing!"

Stephano run a posh resturant and wanted Leah to work there. Vinnie was jealous until he found out he was gay and then they got on well.

I think the Shannon/Mandy stuff was mostly extreme subtext but that was the clear implication and the characters' reactions don't really make sense if they weren't a couple by the end.Oddly, I think the closest we got to dialogue confirmation of the romantic side of things was Shannon saying she used to have a bit of a crush on Mandy.

Yes. Both definite. Irene was hoping for a romance with him as they were getting on really well in class. Then he asked her out for a date. The diner. Well, she thought it was a date, so she got all dolled up, and when she turned up she got introduced to his boyfriend at the table. But by the end of the night she said to Ailsa that she had made two friends instead of one. When Ailsa tells Alf he says something hilarious like "but I seen him fishing!"

Stephano run a posh resturant and wanted Leah to work there. Vinnie was jealous until he found out he was gay and then they got on well.

Funny, I was watching then but can't seem to recall either. Are the episodes online?

I think the Shannon/Mandy stuff was mostly extreme subtext but that was the clear implication and the characters' reactions don't really make sense if they weren't a couple by the end.Oddly, I think the closest we got to dialogue confirmation of the romantic side of things was Shannon saying she used to have a bit of a crush on Mandy.

Did we ever hear of Shannon after she left? I am just amazed that all these years I never knew that she left the Bay permanently with a lesbian lover.

Funny, I was watching then but can't seem to recall either. Are the episodes online?

Did we ever hear of Shannon after she left? I am just amazed that all these years I never knew that she left the Bay permanently with a lesbian lover.

The episode with Irene is 2444 but I don't think it's on Youtube. Episode of that time are very rare.

Oh I forgot about Diana's gay husband. How humiliating for her :D :D :D

Re: Shannon and Mandy, no it was never explicitly stated that they were a couple or that Shannon was in love with Mandy or that Mandy was gay, but actually the writing of the storyline was so clever and so sensitive that it didn't need to be stated. It was quite beautiful the way their relationship flourished without a big dramatic "I think I'm gay" scene.

I remember Pippa asking Shannon if she and Mandy are more than friends to which Shannon responds "Would that be a problem?" and Pippa doesn't really reply she just does her siganture smile and sighs through her nose.

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the Shannon sexuality storyline again if the repeats get that far.

Archived