Logies 2013

Guest ter06

Hasn't it always been a popularity contest?

No. I vote for talent not for popularity but I guess most people vote for popularity and how good a person looks etc etc not about actual talent that someone has.

I know I'm supposed to say that Steve should get gold cos this is a h&a board (and congrats to him to get nominated) but I really want Asher to win, she's such an awesome actress and Nina Proudman is such an awesome character so I'd like her to win.

By popularity contest, I mean that it's a public vote and the person with the greatest number of votes wins. Which I believe the Logies have been for a while. Just because one agrees or disagrees with the decision doesn't make it any more or less of a popularity contest.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course it's a popularity contest. It doesn't pretend to be anything else.

The question to be asked is, if a large number of people vote for a particular person what does that mean?

People can become popular by virtue of opportunities, network support, quality of acting, quality of storylines, looks etc. Popularity is a complex concept.

Just because a person is popular it can't be assumed that they either have talent or lack it.

What can be assumed is that if they are popular and bring in viewers then the networks will continue to support them.

Hasn't it always been a popularity contest?

No. I vote for talent not for popularity but I guess most people vote for popularity and how good a person looks etc etc not about actual talent that someone has.

I know I'm supposed to say that Steve should get gold cos this is a h&a board (and congrats to him to get nominated) but I really want Asher to win, she's such an awesome actress and Nina Proudman is such an awesome character so I'd like her to win.

By popularity contest, I mean that it's a public vote and the person with the greatest number of votes wins. Which I believe the Logies have been for a while. Just because one agrees or disagrees with the decision doesn't make it any more or less of a popularity contest.

Oh right, I thought you meant that it wasn't based on talent rather that people were just voting cos they like someone not because that someone has talent. Most of the categories are like that but I think the industry people vote as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Logies night tonight! Wishing the Home and Away nominees all the best:

Steve Peacocke - Gold Logie Most Popular TV Personality

Steve Peacocke - Silver Logie Most Popular Actor

Will McDonald - Most Popular New Male Talent

Catherine Mack- Most Popular New Female Talent

Home and Away- Most Popular Drama Series

What do you think their chances are? I hope they get some recognition for their hard work.

Personally I think Steve Peacocke has a great chance of taking home the Silver Logie and I would be very surprised if he didn't win this award. I would absolutely love to see him take the Gold as well and I think there is hope even though he is an outside chance.

Regardless it will be nice to see all the cast dressed up and having fun!

Um. Steve Peacocke is an amazing actor and deserves everything he gets in terms of awards. He won new male talent last year and I reckon he'll take out the best male actor silver Logie this year.

As for the Gold Logie. Don't sure if you know this (although you should if you're a true blue Aussie) but the Gold Logie is given to Australia's Most POPULAR Personality. So yeah it is based on popularity. That's what the award is for. Steve Peacockes chances of winning it, I'm not sure. I think his certainly a contender unlike Carry Bickmore but don't think his the favourite to win. But I guess we'll find out. I voted for him.

Not at all but you never seem to have anything positive to say about the show.I don't recall you ever making a positive post which makes me wonder why you bother.

ETA.Steve won most popular actor.Congrats.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10151313712411612&set=a.187237186611.134690.182712331611&type=1&theater

Steve Peacocke wins (Silver) Most Popular Male Actor.

I think he always had a good chance of winning so it's not unexpected. But I guess the award is based on popularity and not skill? (Not that I'm saying he's a bad actor).

Has H&A won Most Popular Drama Series? Or has that category not been covered yet?

Who thinks the show will win? They have some tough competition...

Archived