1990 vs 2012

Guest Dibble Investments Inc

With two screenings of H&A each weekday (in Australia), you'd think life couldn't be better.....

However, with the exception of a few 'legacy' characters, there appears to be little resemblance between the Early Years (1990 at the moment) and 2012....

As a H&A fan reading this, you would obviously hold an opinion and have a preference. Perhaps you like both.

What is your preference???

What if the two timelines collided??? Would the likes of Dodge, Meataxe and Revhead have put up a fight against the River Boys?? What would Ailsa or Bobby have thought about Roo returning to the Bay?? How would Emma have got on with the likes of April at Summer Bay High??? How would Adam fit into the modern Bay as a beach bum???

Opinions please....

Well, I think Gina and Donald would work well together

In fact, I think Gina must be the longest serving principal after Donald.

Princpal's timeline of Summer Bay High:

Donald 1988-1999 2001-2002 2002-2003.

Judith 1999-2000

Paris 2002,2003

Barry 2004-2006

Sally 2003-2004,2006, 2007-2008

Martin 2008-2009

Gina 2009-Present.

Donald 1988-1999

Judith 1999-2000

Paris 2003

Barry 2004-2006

Sally 2003-2004, 2007-2008

Martin 2008-2009

Gina 2009-Present.

We dont know how long Mr Bertrum was head so it may be him.

Going back to the subject of the thread I'm watching both, but neither season really grabs me.

2012 has been pretty watery so far, not a lot happening. I'm not a far of some of the characters, and I don't feel as though the ones I do like are being well written (Roo, Leah, Marilyn) and without Miles around it feels really lacking.

1990 has so far (I'm only up to around episode 485) been a bit boring in comparison to '88/'89, and there have been several storylines that I haven't enjoyed such as Rory's death and Pippa's 'affair'.

It's quite a nice parallel between both 1990 and 2012. Both years seem to have lost some of the Home and Away 'warmth' seen in earlier seasons.

I wouldn't say either year has a better cast over the other as there are plenty of characters from 1990 I'm glad have left. Although I would take Sally over any of the 2012 cast.

Rory's death and Pippa's 'affair'.

These stories were both from 1989 unless I'm mistaken. Pippa's affair storyline may have gone into 1990 but only very briefly although I agree it was a terrible storyline.

1990 is vastly superior to 2012 IMO but then 2012 so far seems a lot better than 2009-11. A lot of warmth has come back into the show and there are some character driven storylines such as Casey's time in juvie coming back to the fore and Indi/Romeo's marriage. The Karaoke stuff with Irene and the others has been fantastic to watch and is a classic Home and Away storyline. I just love Irene. In fact I love all of the old characters and I think they've been used a lot better since the season return. I was on the verge of giving up during the episode when April and Bianca were arguing in the hallway of the hospital while Irene was in bed with cancer and they didn't seem to care. However, in the last week I have watched another 20 or so episodes and they've been great mostly.

I'm even enjoying the Braxtons - Charlie's death is a classic case of devine intervention and the way their lives have come crashing down around them seems extremely well-written and believable - finally, it is being portrayed to the audience that the sort of lifestyle the Braxtons lead has its consequences. The way April has seemingly fallen in love with Heath remains, possibly, the most ridiculous storyline in the history of the show as it completely goes against her character but the involvement of Henri has been great- she is played by a wonderful actress. The obvious problems to me are, as Ryan pointed out in another thread, that the long-standing characters have very few links in the Bay and are just 'there'. Roo and Alf, Irene solo, Leah and VJ, Colleen solo, John and Gina etc. Bringing back one or more of Irene's children is a must and I think the character of Roo deserves more than this storyline with Harvey - I'd like to know about the Tim guy who was calling her when she arrived - she was away from the Bay for twenty years but it seems like nothing has happened to her in her time away when realistically it would have. Marilyn has been written so much better since 2012 with her quirky character coming back, although it still needs to be ramped up a notch but I am enjoying the odd ditzy comment she's making these days.

1990 is still superior because the community is much stronger as a unit - every character has a unique relationship with every other character while the 2012 characters seem to just be lumped with whoever is in their age bracket - who is Gina's best friend in the show? Who is Ruby's? The family feel was also much stronger back in the day although I do admit, 1990 has been quite low key in comparison to 88/89 but it is still very enjoyable because you can believe in the characters. Marilyn's return to school has been a delight to watch but ultimately 1990 sees the show struggle with the losses of not only Tom, Lance, Martin and Celia, but the original Pippa. And Debra's version of the character goes on to become a legend.

Donald 1988-1999

Judith 1999-2000

Paris 2003

Barry 2004-2006

Sally 2003-2004, 2007-2008

Martin 2008-2009

Gina 2009-Present.

We dont know how long Mr Bertrum was head so it may be him.

But I am talking about since the show began.

Bless you Edward for mentioning Marty, Lance and Tom :)

But you neglected to mention Viv. Minus ten points :P (only kidding!!!)

The arrival of Blake & Karen bring back a ton of memories for me. As a teen, I had a massive crush on Karen (which I had forgotten about until their return in TEY). They, as well the Matt-Adam-Mazza storylines have made 1990 really enjoyable thus far :) Although Tom and the gruesome twosome (no names mentioned) are missed beyond belief, this pain is eased slightly by the aforementioned characters.

As for 2012, I couldn't agree with Edward more, it is an improvement. The Irene Karaoke story was just like old times. Fin visiting her and Lance visiting Colleen would make 2012 great :D

Roo could be used in much better storylines tho :(

Well, naturally, I disagree about the ridiculousness of April falling for Heath:I find it no more ridiculous than pairings like Karen and Revhead, Sarah and Nathan, Belle and Aden, Kirsty and Kane...It's a standard idea which is portrayed in both a positive and negative light and I actually thought they spent the last couple of months of 2011 building up April's growing affection for him very well.I think one of the problems is that the show doesn't seem to take the time to show us the scenes we need, partly because of the characters' restrictive screentime:Whilst I'm happy to dismiss Irene's out of character rant at the hospital as the result of being ill, her reaction to April and Heath is a bit "depends on the plot" and I really want to know how Xavier feels, how Casey and Brax feel.When Charlie resigned last year, it should have been a massive deal and I wanted to see how Ruby and Brax would react...But we didn't see a single person find out and by the time we caught up with them they'd all accepted it.But then I wanted to see Tom's reaction to what happened with Dodge in 1989 and by the time he reappeared it had ben forgotten about and everyone was worried about Sally's aunt and uncle turning up.

I think the show perhaps suffers from a too large teen group.1990 starts off focusing on Steven-Viv-Emma and ends up with Sophie-Blake-Karen-Haydn, with those characters spending a fair amount of time together.2012 gives us the sprawling Ruby-Xavier-April-Dexter-Casey-Sasha-maybe-Romeo-and-Indi-too group and it's hard to tell who's friends with who when they get paired up almost at random depending on who's available for that episode.Ruby seems to be given a succession of nominal best friends(Annie, Nicole, April)who dip in and out of her life depending on whether they're needed or not.

Archived