Saddest Moment(s) in H&A TEY thus far...

Guest Dibble Investments Inc

The Early Years has had a few tear-jerker moments - what was the moment that had you reaching for the tissue box???

Martin Dibble getting on the bus, Lance driving off in the Holden and Tom's death hit me pretty hard :( But I'm sure you've got your own to add!!!

So go on, put the tissues down and tell everyone about it!!! You'll feel better when you do :)

I cried when Tom died which surprised me as I wasn't expecting to! I must have been having a bad day, or perhaps it's just because these characters were a big part of my childhood!

I don't think anything else in TEY has had the same effect, although the background music is so nostalgic it can choke me up even after hearing it hundreds of times :)

Tom's death didn't really make me cry because I didn't find it all that realistic or upsetting. Pippa's reaction afterwards made me cry though, when Sally asked her if she was upset when they were in bed.

Other times - Anzac Day when Celia was telling Pippa about her fiance really got me :( And Lance's departure.

I cried when Tom died which surprised me as I wasn't expecting to! I must have been having a bad day, or perhaps it's just because these characters were a big part of my childhood!

I don't think anything else in TEY has had the same effect, although the background music is so nostalgic it can choke me up even after hearing it hundreds of times :)

The background music adds so much to this show! It makes otherwise forgettable scenes very memorable and emotional.

One of the "saddest" moments for me was discovering what had become of Walter Bertram when he reappeared in that old house in the country, and telling Pippa what it's like going from a respected headmaster to being an outcast that everyone is scared of. Very touching.

Another was Fisher arranging for a random surfer on the Beach to scatter his ashes for him into the sea, as per his will. Very sad for Fisher that his son died with so much anger towards him.

I think the absolute saddest for me so far was Nigel letting Celia down gently by making up that story about getting back together with his ex in the city. Poor Celia is just so devastated.

beau_t and Edward, I agree with you regarding the music. It really does play a huge part in the way the audience emotionally connect with the character and the show as a whole. I love Mike Perjanik's interpretation of Summer Bay. If only he was still composing for the show - it hasn't been quite the same since stopped in 2003/2004.

Walter's scene with Pippa at the end of the episode, whereby she shows her trust in him, I think that is the scene you are referring to Beau - again, I agree - its one of my favourite emotional/poignant scenes of the early years.

There were loads more emotional scenes during Bevan Lee's stint Imo because they were so character focused. Another favourite is when Fisher's almost in tears telling/shouting at Alan in the school corridor, late at night that he wanted him as a son. I can't remember what episode number it was now. Its a great scene though, I think it was in relation to Alan pretending to have the aneurysm outside the store. Could anyone tell me which episode number that is if you know please?

beau_t and Edward, I agree with you regarding the music. It really does play a huge part in the way the audience emotionally connect with the character and the show as a whole. I love Mike Perjanik's interpretation of Summer Bay. If only he was still composing for the show - it hasn't been quite the same since stopped in 2003/2004.

Walter's scene with Pippa at the end of the episode, whereby she shows her trust in him, I think that is the scene you are referring to Beau - again, I agree - its one of my favourite emotional/poignant scenes of the early years.

There were loads more emotional scenes during Bevan Lee's stint Imo because they were so character focused. Another favourite is when Fisher's almost in tears telling/shouting at Alan in the school corridor, late at night that he wanted him as a son. I can't remember what episode number it was now. Its a great scene though, I think it was in relation to Alan pretending to have the aneurysm outside the store. Could anyone tell me which episode number that is if you know please?

Alex, good points about Mike Perjanik's scores. They have been missed!!! In 1990 the music emphasises the situation well and as was pointed out, it can actually make an emotional moment even more so than pure silence alone (viz. Lance's departure).

Mike's scores covered an array of emotions, including humourous moments - there was even a Marty, Lance & Marilyn signature tune that really summed up their antics around the time of Image....

Sadly, the gradual decline of H&A over the last decade has occurred not only to ridiculous stories and despicable characters but also due to forgettable scores and music tracks that are uninspiring, unlike the clever scores of Mike Perjanik....

Episode 142 is the one you're thinking of :) and Walter Bertram!! My absolute favourite scene ever.

and this...

Archived