What May Come

Guest faith406

:wub: Fab update! Love all the characters and how can feel the emotion. Hope that Brax gets in the room and is able to get through to Charlie. Feel so bad for her but she needs to let Brax and Ruby be close to her. Great writing - Looking forward to more :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys sorry for the long wait, thank you for the reviews it means a lot to know that you’re reading and enjoying. Here’s the next chapter, hope you enjoy :-)

Chapter 21

Walking into Charlie’s room Brax was met by the sight of her staring into space looking so fragile. As he got closer to her he could tell that she hadn’t noticed his presence in the room yet.

“Charlie” Brax said as he walked closer to her

As her head turned, she looked as if she had been a million miles away somewhere else in her mind.

“What are you doing in here, get out I said I didn’t want to see anyone” Charlie said, her voice low and weak

“Charlie please”

“Get out” she replied with a bit more force

“No!” Brax replied deciding that he had to try get through to her otherwise this chance would have been a complete waste.

“What?”

“I said no, I love you and care about you too much to let you shut me out like this”

“I don’t want you here, just leave me alone”

“Do you blame me, is that it?”

“No Brax it’s……… please just leave me alone.” Charlie said with tears coming to her eyes.

Moving closer to Charlie’s bed Brax got a slight bit of hope that he just might be able to get her to open up

“It’s what Charlie” Brax asked

Feeling a rush of emotions Charlie’s leaned further into her bed and closed her eyes willing away the onslaught of tears that threated to spill.

“Is this to do with the baby?” Brax asked

“How do you even know about the baby” Charlie sighed keeping her eyes closed and trying to keeping her emotions under control.

“One of the doctors let it slip when he was giving us an update on your surgery”

“So much for patient confidentiality”

“He assumed we already knew” Brax explained

“Charlie, please talk to me let me in”

“Aren’t we talking?” Charlie asked

“No you’re asking me questions and I’m giving you answers”

“I can’t Brax, I just can’t. It just hurts too much”

“We’re not going to get through this if you don’t”

At Charlie’s continued silence something snapped in Brax, he wasn’t going to have her survive being shot for him to lose her.

“Damn it Charlie whatever that’s going on in your head isn’t going to get better if you don’t let us in. Let me in. It’s been hell for me and for Ruby and all the people that love and care for you.”

Moving closer to her Brax took Charlie’s face in his hands and moved it to face him.

“Charlie please open your eyes; just let me know you’re listening to what I’m saying”

At his touch and by his request Charlie slowly opened her eyes and let the tears she was trying to hold in spill down her face.

“I know what happened is incredibly messed up but I’m determined not to let it ruin us. I lost you, I stood in a hospital room and listened to a doctor pronounce you dead. In that moment my whole world crashed around me, 9:32pm will always be the time I didn’t know how I was supposed to go on without you in my life.”

“Brax please just stop” Charlie asked with tears coming to her eyes

“Then you were brought back to me, by some miracle we got given a break, maybe just maybe everything was going to be ok. But then our baby, Charlie I found out in the same breath that I was going to be a dad, that our baby had died. I was in so much pain; I am still in so much pain about our baby. I know you are too so please just let me in, I may have only found out recently but I love our baby so much and I’m mad that we don’t get to meet him or her.”

“Well then understand this is hard for me Brax, you’ve only just found out recently. I had time to dream and plan in my head how it was going to be. Us starting a family together, being together as a normal couple with no secrets to hide. I even planned the colour of the nursery…”

“A creamy kinda yellow colour” Brax said

“How do you know?”

“Bianca found the envelope when she went to the house to get some stuff for Ruby. I think the colour would have been nice, you would have got no complaints from me” Brax replied giving a small smile.

Looking at Brax’s smile Charlie looked away from him and exhaled the breath she had been holding in.

“He as your smile” Charlie said not looking at Brax

“Who” Brax asked confused

“Our son” Charlie decided to try and talk to Brax about how she was feeling, she felt bad about hearing the way Brax had found out he was going to be a dad and then to be told that the baby had died straight after.

“Charlie”

“No, Brax just let me finish without any interruption. I swear I’m not mad, I saw our baby, our son. I don’t know how to explain it or what happened but I met him, he had your smile it so reminded me of you and so did his nose he had your nose as well. His hair it was chocolaty brown, it felt so soft he felt so soft and delicate. Looking into his eyes, he had my eyes. He was so beautiful and I didn’t want to leave and I part of me wishes that I had stayed with him.”

Not knowing if Charlie was finished or not Brax kept quiet giving her as much time as she needed to talk. A few seconds of silence went by before Charlie found the strength to go on.

“My mum and dad was there and Jack he was there as well. I know this sounds crazy but I know in my heart it was real Brax all of it was real. I wasn’t going to come back as soon as I set my eyes on our little boy as soon as I touched him I didn’t want to be anywhere but with him.”

As the tears began to flow in torrents Charlie carried on talking, her voice becoming more and more emotional.

“I didn’t want to fight no more. Brax most of my life I’ve had to fight and be strong; I’m so tired I didn’t want to come back and have to do it all over again. But they told me that it would be alright, they promised me it would be alright but they lied Brax, it’s not alright it’s never going to be alright. I can’t be strong anymore, I feel so weak and exhausted”

“Then let me be strong for you”

“I don’t know how to” Charlie replied her voice cracking

“How about we figure it out as we go along, just take it a step at a time. I love you so much Charlie, I promise we are going to get through this. No matter how bad things may get along the way I’m not going anywhere. You can try and push me away but I’m never leaving you, I love you too much to ever walk away.”

“I’m so sorry Brax, I know your hurting to but I just feel so lost. When I’m in here on my own I can imagine I’m back there with him. I didn’t want you or Ruby or anyone in here because then I couldn’t go back there, I would have to face it, I’d have to feel all pain”

Walking towards Charlie Brax put his arms around her and embraced her kissing the top of Charlie’s head.

“Shh shh you’re going to be alright. We’re all going to get through this; we’ll just take it one step at a time okay”

Brax could feel Charlie nod her head, a small smile came to Brax’s face as he had a glimmer of hope that they may just be able to get through all this together now that Charlie was letting him in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaving Irene’s room Ruby walked back to the corridor to find Brax. Looking around she couldn’t find him anywhere, she had stayed in Irene’s room a little bit longer than intended but she didn’t think Brax would leave without telling her. Ruby looked around a little bit longer until her eyes set on Charlie’s room. Thinking Brax may have just been stubborn enough to go into her room despite Charlie’s request not to see anyone, Ruby moved forward towards her room. The sight that greeted Ruby brought a smile to her face. Brax was lying on the bed with his arms wrapped around Charlie and her head resting on his chest. Ruby took one last glance at the couple on the bed happy that Brax had been able to reach her mum and hoping that they would start to heal from all the pain Jake had caused.

I am glad that Brax got into Charlies room and they have started to talk. Because Charlie had her near death experience she feels the loss of her baby. I hope she can talk to Brax to help him understand why she has been like this. Thank you for the update. Look forward to reading more.

:wub: Gorgeous update! So glad that Brax got through to Charlie....so emotional and beautiful writing!!

The conversation between Chax was so good! Loved Brax telling Charlie about 9.32!! Sad times! Well done, really fab!

Looking forward to when you are able to update again :wub:

Thanks for the reviews, I really appreciate you taking your time to write them. Hope you enjoy the next chapter x

Chapter 22

It had been two weeks since Charlie and Brax had their talk. Physically Charlie was healing well and was now getting ready to be discharged from the hospital. Although she had allowed Brax to visit she had made it clear that she still wasn’t ready for a whole load of visitors.

Charlie’s had a visit from the police needing to get a statement about what had happened. Brax was angry and told them to leave but Charlie just told him to calm down and that it was just procedure. She’d have to do it eventually and she would rather get it over and done with.

It was then that she found out that Jake was dead. Charlie didn’t feel happy; she didn’t feel sad she just felt numb. Jake may be gone but there still was a massive hurdle to overcome, in a way he got what he wanted. He got his revenge, he may not have killed her but he killed their baby. He managed to succeed at what he wanted to achieve and leave a trail of disaster.

“Sorry we have to do this Charlie, just take your time and tell us what happened?” Watson asked her old partner

“I was getting ready to come into the station for my last day, I wanted to look perfect. Freshly ironed uniform, badge straight………. Then there was a knock at the door”

Taking a short pause as the memories of that after noon came back to Charlie so vivid in her mind she took a deep breath and continued.

“I went to see who it was then I saw Jake……. He pulled up his gun and told me that this was for his brother” tears came to Charlie’s eyes as she relieved what had happened.

Ruby moved onto her bed and took her mums hand into hers to try comforting her. With a slight smile to Ruby Charlie took a deep breath and continued.

“The next thing I hear are shots being fired, and I was on the floor. I remember seeing his feet moving out of the door.”

“So he didn’t come back after that, he just left” Watson asked

Getting emotional Charlie relieved that day in her mind and found she couldn’t help bit become overcome by her emotions. With more tears coming to her eyes she answered Watson.

“He just left, he shot me and he just left. I tried to call for help but I couldn’t get through to anyone, no one picked up at the station and triple 000 hung up on me. I couldn’t get through to Ruby or Brax and the pain the pain it was becoming so bad and it hurt, it hurt so much. Then Bianca she didn’t want to know she was so angry with me she didn’t want to know and then I got the message from you” Charlie replied looking at Georgina

“”I got the message telling me Jake had got out of prison but it was too late cause he had already found me.” Charlie started to cry uncontrollably, Ruby pulled her mum into her arms as she shook from her tears.

“What do you mean Bianca didn’t want to know?” Georgina asked

“I called her and she shouted at me, she hates me that much she didn’t even let me speak she just told me I was out of line and good luck and goodbye, I was relieved someone had picked up but she didn’t want to know she didn’t want to know” As Charlie’s breathing became even more erratic and her tears more violent Brax squashed down his anger at the news about Bianca and told the officers to leave.

“That’s it you lot have had your time, now get out” Brax said pushing open the door for Watson and the other officer to leave.

Looking over at Charlie, Watson made to leave not wanting to upset her friend anymore.

Just then Sid walked in to the room with Charlie’s discharge papers.

“I take it the questioning didn’t go to well” Sid said looking over at Charlie crying in Ruby’s arms

“It was too soon, it was the first time she’s spoken about what happened” Brax said visibly angry

“Brax you need to calm down, Charlie doesn’t need to have you all worked up over this. It’s done now just be there for her and support her. I’m going to give you guys sometime, here are Charlie’s discharge papers when she’s ready she can sign them and go after I talk to her about her after care” Sid told Brax before he handed Brax the papers and left the room.

Taking a deep calming breath Brax turned around and made his way to Ruby and Charlie, as he got to the foot of Charlie’s bed she lifted up her head and started to wipe away her tears.

“I’m sorry, I’m just being silly getting all upset” Charlie said trying to calm her shaking hands

“No you’re not, don’t ever think that” Ruby said brushing some of Charlie’s hair away from her face.

“She’s right Charlie, and its ok we understand it was just way too soon to be going over everything” Brax said

“Was it true what you said about calling Bianca” Ruby asked her mum

“Gosh, I never even meant to mention it just got lost in it all. We had an argument before, she must have thought I was calling to apologise I remember sobbing on the line cause of the pain I didn’t get a chance to tell her I needed help.”

“So while you was laying there shot and bleeding on the floor she shouted at you” Brax said visibly angry

“Brax please can you just calm down, I’m here and I’m alive you came home and found me”

“But you wouldn’t have been laying there so long if she had just waited to hear what you had to say” Ruby replied with tears in her eyes

“Please can we not talk about this now, I’m alive so just think about that. I don’t want to talk about this right now so can we please just leave it for now. Please”

At their reluctant nods Charlie decided to change the subject as she pointed to the papers in Brax’s hands.

“What are those?” she asked

“Oh Sid gave them to me, they’re your discharge forms”

“Well hand them here, I’m getting sick of the sight of this hospital room” Charlie said trying to bring some humour into the room

“You sure you’re ready to be leaving” Ruby asked her mum

“As ready as I’ll ever be” Charlie said as she signed the papers to go.

Charlie

After Sid arranged my outpatient’s appointment and went through my aftercare I was free to finally leave the hospital. With Ruby and Brax by my side I made my way through the corridors to the car park. It felt strange to feel the sun’s heat on me again after being in my hospital room for what felt like an eternity. I paused walking for a second as I felt the cool breeze brush my hair across my face. Ruby and Brax both give me a worried look but I just smile and continue walking to let them know I’m okay.

The drive from the hospital was a quiet one as we sat in Brax’s car. I can see Ruby glancing at me every now and again in the mirror checking that I haven’t fallen to pieces but at this moment I’m just content sitting in the car with the window open and the wind blowing in my hair.

I felt a slight ping of disappointment as the car started to slow down and I realised that we had arrived home. As I took a deep breath I undid my seatbelt and opened the door to get out of the car. As Brax got my bag from the car, Ruby and I made our way up the path. As we walked past the kitchen window I was greeted by the sight of Leah with a huge smile on her face which I tried my best to return. I started to feel a pounding in my head has my heart started beating faster, as soon as we got to the back door I put my hand on the frame to brace myself.

“I can do this, Charlie you can do this” I said to myself in a low breath but my feet wouldn’t move and the more I tried to force myself the more I got worked up. As I felt tears spring to my eyes I tried to calm my panic.

“I’m sorry I can’t, I just can’t” I say to no one in particular

“Charlie what’s wrong” Leah asked coming towards me placing her hand on my face so I would look at her

“I can’t go in there, I just can’t” I said taking a step backwards, turning away I walked straight into Brax who I wasn’t aware was behind me. As I crash into him I feel his arms wrap around me and his lips kiss the top of my head.

“Shhh its fine you don’t have to” I hear him say as I feel him lead me to the chairs outside; as he sits he takes me with him never letting go. I feel him shake his head at what I don’t know. I sit for a couple minutes in his arms calming myself down until eventually I lift up my head to see Leah and Ruby are also sitting outside with me and Brax.

“I’m sorry” I say feeling angry at myself

“You have nothing to be sorry about, I’m sorry for bringing you back here I should have thought” Brax said rubbing my arm

“We’re all sorry, we were so excited about you being released that we didn’t think” Leah said

“It’s okay, I didn’t even think about it until I got here. I feel so stupid for not being able to go in there but I just can’t. I know it’s my home and I’ve taken these steps a thousand times before but I just can’t do it”

“Shhh don’t work yourself up again, it’s ok you don’t have to if you don’t want” Ruby told me with her concerned eyes looking at me.

“Where are you going to stay Charlie?” Leah asked me

“Maybe we could stay at the caravan park or maybe get a room at the sands for a bit” Ruby suggested

“You can stay with me” I heard Brax say

“I don’t know about that” I said unsure about the idea

“You’re staying with me, we were moving into together in the city so it’s something we are both ok with. The only difference is that we’re doing it in summer bay, you can have as much space as you want and I’ll make sure Heath’s on his best behaviour. Plus Ruby has been staying with us quite a bit so she can vouch for me when I say for a guy’s place it’s quite liveable”

I look to Ruby to see her nodding her head in agreement with Brax.

“Doesn’t sound like I have much say in the matter” I replied giving Brax a kiss on the cheek and whispering into his ear.

“Thank you for looking out for me”

“Always” he replied back looking into my eyes.

We stayed outside as Ruby and Leah went to go pack some stuff for me to take to Brax’s place. As they came outside with the bags I gave Leah a hug before I left.

“I’m so sorry about this, I know you’ve probably gone to a big effort for my homecoming. I may not have gone into the house but I can smell you’ve been cooking up a storm” I said to Leah smiling at her

“Charlie seriously it’s ok, I understand you not wanting to come in. I dished up the food in containers for you guys to take with you”

“Thank you” I say before giving her one more hug and making my way to the car with Ruby and Brax.

Archived