What May Come

Guest faith406

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I know I have left it so long since my last update, I am a repeat offender sorry. I hope you all had a good christmas and a great start to your new year. Has a few personal issues and family stuff to contend with as well as the motivstion to write being low. I left it on a bit of a clif hanger so here's the long over due next part. Thank you for bearing with me, I do know it can be frustrating and I am sorry. Hope you enjoy and again thanks for reading and leaving reviews. Loads of love and thanks to you all xxxxxxxxxxx

Chapter 32

“How much further Ruby?” Brax asked

“Not much we should be there soon” Ruby said hoping Charlie wasn’t doing anything stupid

“Pull in here, that’s the place.” Ruby said as she jumped out of the car and quickly rushed into the building.

Memories came back to Ruby from the last time she had been there, feelings of guilt and pain. That she had been a cause of the despair that Charlie was going through because she had brought Grant back into her life. Turning the corner into the familiar derelict room Ruby was confronted with the site of her mother holding a gun at Hayley.

“MUM, what are you doing?” Ruby asked as she ran into the room.

“Ruby, get out of here. You’re not supposed to be here” Charlie said shocked to see her daughter

“Mum please just put the gun down”

“Not until she does what I’ve asked her to do”

Rushing into the building Brax could hear raised voices, following the sound he was shocked by the site that greeted him.

“Charlie, what are you doing?” Brax asked as he entered the room

“She wanted me to hear her out and I did, she gave her little sob storey but it makes no difference to me. It doesn’t make any of it right”

“Charlie just put the gun down okay”

“No not until she says she will do what I have asked her to do”

“But my job I can’t just leave, I am on a case please Brax make her see sense” Hayley said hoping the arrival of Brax and Ruby would help her

“You shut” Brax said not wanting to hear anything Hayley had to say he just wanted to get Charlie out of there before something bad happened

“I do not care about your job or your career or whatever case you are on; it’s a small price to pay for what you have done.” Said Charlie

“Mum you don’t have to do this”

“But I do” Charlie said with fresh tears coming to her eyes “I can’t lose Brax I just can’t and with her here I stand a chance of that happening. I can’t risk it, I won’t risk it”

“Charlie you’re not going to lose me”

“After yesterday I can’t take that chance, I love you too much to let that happen” Charlie said as she tried to keep her shaking hands steady. “Do you know why she did it, she tried to justify it with the excuse that she had a drug problem and Jake found out, he threatened to get her struck off so she decided to help him out.” Charlie said as she looked at Brax and Ruby.

Turning her eyes to focus on Hayley’s Charlie made one last attempt to try and get her to leave. Hoping she would take it as Charlie didn’t want to use the gun she just wanted to scare Hayley to make her go.

“Hayley nothing is going to make it right, you’re here because of your own guilt, just leave because right now I am full of so much anger and hatred towards you I don’t know what I will do so just go please just go”

“You both have to know that I am so so sorry for it, I really am. I’ll leave town, I will I just…….. I’ll leave” Hayley said with tears coming to her eyes. She had heard what had happened it was mainly the reason she wanted to take the case in summer bay. So that she could come and apologise and maybe help ease her guilt. After the news of what Jake did once she helped to get him out of prison she had felt guilty which lead to a relapse back into the drugs. Maybe just maybe coming would help her ease the guilt but Hayley realised in that moment that she was doing more harm and she’d have to try deal with the addiction and guilt on her own.

Once Hayley had left the building Charlie dropped the gun to the floor and tried to control her tears.

Running to her Ruby screamed “Mum what do you think you were doing, someone could have got hurt”

Wiping the tears from her eyes Charlie looked up to her daughter “It’s not loaded”

“What” Asked Brax as he approached Charlie shocked by what had happened

“I said it’s not loaded I just wanted to scare her, I wanted her to know what it feels like. I just needed her to leave and this was the only way I could think off.”

“But this mum, its extreme” Ruby told her mum

“Yesterday in a restaurant full of people, full of witnesses Brax lost it and went for her. He threw a bottle of wine at her in front of a packed restaurant. ” Ruby told her daughter, turning to Brax she continued “You lost it Brax you were so angry and I know you promised me that you wouldn’t harm her but……… she helped play a part in all this I know you feel that way cause I feel that way too and you wouldn’t of been as angry as you were if you didn’t.

“So you don’t trust me is that it Charlie” Brax asked getting angry

“I trust you Brax I do but she would have kept on and on wanting to give her reasons, even after what happened with me today she wanted to speak to you and I just couldn’t take the chance that you wouldn’t snap and do something……. Your all about family Brax and she hurt your family, she helped Jake make sure you would never get to meet our son, to teach him to surf, to hold him to watch him grow and because of that I know that the promise you made to me would have been so hard for you to keep.” Charlie could see the unshed tears in Brax’s eyes as he tried to hold them back.

“Maybe your right but Charlie I don’t want you putting yourself at risk for me” Brax told her shocked that she would go to the lengths she had gone to in order to keep him from doing something stupid

“I love you and right now I need you here with me not locked up somewhere” Charlie said

“Come here” Brax said as he pulled Charlie into his arms and kissed her “I love you but don’t ever do anything like that again, like you can’t lose me I couldn’t bear to lose you.”

“I just didn’t know what else to do, but she’s gone now. She’s out of our lives so can we just move past this please?” Charlie asked looking into his eyes

“We’re okay” Brax told her as he looked into her eyes “come on let’s get out of here” Brax said as he went to lead them out of the building.

Summer Bay High

“Hey Sash wait up” Casey shouted as he tried to catch up with Sasha “You going to the diner” he asked as he finally managed to catch up with her

“Yeah” she replied

“Cool, mind if I join you, I kinda need your help”

“Yeah, what’s up?”

“I kinda wasn’t really focusing on what was being said about our assignment, my mind was elsewhere. Do you mind helping me catch up on it?”

“Nah that’s cool, we could make a start at lunch or after school.” Sasha suggested as they walked to the diner

“Um after school sounds good, could we do it at your place ours is crowded and well things are just getting back to normal so…..”

“That’s alright, my place is okay. How is everyone?”

“Better than before I think, nah I know it’s just……. I don’t know.”

“Okay, how about how are you?”

“Uh” Casey asked

“How are you? I mean you come out of juvie which must not have been easy and then everything that’s happened with Charlie and Brax, it must have had an effect on you”

“It did, I don’t know I haven’t really given myself a chance to think about it. Last year was a mess, and it ended badly for most involved. It’s hard to think about it without going crazy”

“I know the feeling, not that it’s the same thing but I know how it feels to have things go round and round in your head and not being able to process.”

“How are you doing after everything that happened?”

“Better now, I started to see the school counsellor, its helped and its good having Xav, Dex and Sasha”

“Well I’m glad that its helping talking to the counsellor”

“Maybe you should give it a try” Sasha suggested as they got to the diner

“Nah, it’s not really my thing”

“You never know until you try” Sasha told him as she walked into the diner ahead of Casey

Braxton House

The room was quiet as Charlie walked back into the bedroom in her bathrobe after having a shower. As soon as she got back she felt the instant need to wash that place of her, the memories that she had from there were not pleasant and she wanted to get the smell off of her. Sitting on the bed and running her hands through her wet hair she sighed hoping that today had really put an end to Hayley’s residence in summer bay.

At the click of the door opening Charlie turned her head to see Ruby apprehensively enter the bedroom, close the door and walk to sit on the bed beside her mum. Taking her hand in hers Ruby turned her body to face Charlie.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Ruby asked with worry in her voice and eyes

“I am now” Charlie replied gripping her daughter’s hand tightly. “Where’s Brax?” Charlie asked her

“He’s making you something to eat” Ruby replied biting her lips

“What?” Charlie asked her daughter

“Uh?”

“Ruby, you want to ask me something I can tell”

“You know me to well” She replied with a nervous smile

“You’re my daughter, I’m supposed to. Now go ahead and ask”

“I just……. I was wondering why there, why did you take her there”

Taking a deep breath, Charlie sighed she had a feeling Ruby would ask her why she had gone back to that place. The place where she faced a monster from her past, where her daughter finally had the truth revealed to her and any doubt erased.

“I was so scared when I first went there, scared about what might happen. What if he got the upper hand on me, what if things didn’t go the way I had planned? I had all those thoughts going through my head but the one thing that kept me strong and the fear at bay was the thought that I could get the truth from his mouth and you could hear it and stay away from him. I overcame my fear there before, it’s the dark place where I faced something I never wanted to face. Hayley’s nothing like Grant but when I look at her, I think of my baby and the loss and then I get scared all over again because she could cause me to lose something else. I could lose Brax because of her presence and that fear, the grief of loss…… it all got too much and she became another thing that I needed to be strong enough to face”

“I’m sorry” Ruby said looking down to the bed

“What are you sorry for?” Charlie asked confused

“It was because I brought him here that you had to do that, you were scared all over again because I didn’t listen” Ruby said with tears coming to her eyes.

As Charlie felt her daughter’s tears drop onto their entwined hands, she pulled her daughter into her arms.

“You have nothing to be sorry for” Charlie said trying to comfort her daughter

“You may not think I do, but I do” Ruby said pulling back and facing her mother

“I love you and that’s all that matters Rubes, all that is in our past ok”

“I love you mum” Ruby said as she snuggled back into her mother’s arms.

At the knock on the door Ruby and Charlie pulled apart.

“Come in” Charlie said

“Hey” Brax said walking in “Foods ready, just wanted to let you know” he said realising he was walking in on something noticing Ruby wiping her face from tears. “Is everything okay?”

“It is now” Charlie said taking Ruby’s hand in hers and leading her to the kitchen with Brax following.

Angelos

“Hey Dad” Darcy said as she walked to the counter in Angelo’s

“Hi Darc, hey VJ” Heath replied walking around the counter to talk to his daughter “How was school?”

“Yeah it was good, ummm is it alright if we hang out here for a bit and do some homework and maybe you could throw in some pizza”

“Hmmmm okay, take the table over there. I need to serve a few customers then I will come sort you guys out with something to eat” Heath said going back to the counter

“It’s so cool when your parent works in a restaurant” VJ said as they sat at their table and pulled out there books “Tomorrow we’ll go score some free food of my mum”

“Yummy the diner does some of the best cakes I have ever tasted” Darcy replied

---------------------------------

“Hey Heath, can I get a couple of pizzas” Casey asked as he got to the counter. Heath was so engrossed watching his daughter that he hadn’t noticed his brother approach him

“What’s that Case” Heath asked as he looked to his brother

“I said is it alright to get a couple of pizzas. Thought I would take them over to the farm, Sasha’s gonna help me with some school work” Case said sitting up on one of the stools

“Yeah that’s cool, meat feast and veggie pizza be alright?”

“Yeah that’s cool. Must be nice seeing her smile like that, especially after all she’s been through” Casey said looking at Darcy and VJ laughing

“Yeah it is, the move was defiantly a good thing for her. She looks so care free, just like a kid should” Heath said smiling to himself.

Thanks for the comments @ freakie42 and Jarliefanever.

Chapter 33

Lying in bed Charlie leaned over to look at Brax’s sleeping form. As he lay still his chest rising up and down Charlie stroked his face gently. She loved to look at Brax like this so peaceful and still, not worrying about family or business and just at peace. Getting up Charlie decided to go get ready to go to the gym to work out. After last week’s incident they had found out that Hayley had indeed left the bay and her case was transferred to another lawyer in her firm. The relief she felt was enormous and she could see the relief in Brax when he had heard the news, despite what he had said she knew that Hayley’s presence was pushing Brax to breaking point. What to do today Charlie thought as she rolled on to her back, she was still at a loss of what to do with herself each day. Summer bay wasn’t exactly a hot spot for jobs and it didn’t really help that she had no clue on what she wanted to do. Getting up Charlie decided to go to the gym and have a workout.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surf Club

“Ow” Charlie heard someone say as she ran on the treadmill, pushing stop she got off to see if they were okay.

“Hey, are you alright?” Charlie asked

“Yeah, it was the shock more than anything. I don’t think I was using it right” the women said

“Hey are you alright?” John asked coming over

“Yeah, umm you run the surf club right” the women asked John

“Yeah I do”

“Well I really am not getting the hang of some of these machines, can I get some help?”

“Ummm right….. Well I’m sure I could get one of the life guards to maybe help you” John replied

“Okay, well are they here now”

“No the lifeguards are on shift right now but I’m sure if you wa………”

“You know what…..” the women said getting a bit agitated

“Hey, how about I show you how to use the machines properly, would that be fine with you?” Charlie asked the women

“Do you know how to use them?”

“I wouldn’t offer if I didn’t, I used to work in the police. Training academy puts you through your paces, you got to be fit and I also like to be fit so…..”

“Well yeah thanks if you don’t mind I would be grateful”

“John is that okay?” Charlie asked looking to him

“Fine with me”

“Okay sorted then, hey my names Charlie” she said putting out her hand to the women

“Katy, it’s nice to meet you Charlie” Katy replied shaking her hand.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Honestly I never do one” Katy told Charlie as she gathered her things together.

“Well you should, its most probably why your so sore the next day” Charlie told her as they headed out of the gym

“I’ll try make the effort, thanks for the help. See you around”

“That’s alright, bye” Charlie said as she walked to get a juice

“Hey Charlie, can I have a word” asked John as he walked up to her

“Yeah, what can I help you with”

“I was wondering what you’re doing with yourself nowadays?”

“Ummm nothing much really, why?”

“Well I just wanted to run an idea past you, after this morning I got to thinking”

Angelos

“So it’s Darcy’s birthday soon” Brax mentioned as he and Heath continued doing a stock take

“Yeah, I need to talk to her about what she wants to do. It’s her first birthday without her mum, I just want to make sure it’s a good one”

“I’m sure it will be and we’re all here to help”

The two men looked up as they heard footsteps running up the stairs to the restaurant.

“What’s got you so excited?” Brax asked as he saw Charlie running through the entrance with a big smile on her face.

“I’ve got a job” she said as she jumped up and wrapped her arms around Brax and kissed him. “Well John needs to speak to a couple members of the

surf club but he wants me to help out in the gym. Give inductions on how to use the machines, help people out if they need any tips” Charlie said excitedly

“Well from your reaction I can tell your pleased, I’m happy for you” Brax said kissing her

“Hey keep it pg” Heath said walking up too Charlie “I’m glad for you, I know you’ve been bored with nothing to do”

“Thanks Heath” Charlie said grinning

“With a body like that I think the gym may start getting busier”

“Oi” Brax said hitting Heath over the head

“What, it’s true. Buckton’s fit in more ways than one” Heath said laughing as he ducked down to avoid another whack from his brother

“Well thanks for the compliment” Charlie said wrapping her arms around Brax to distract him “You, my wonderful boyfriend need to remember you get this fit body all to yourself so don’t rise to it. He’s just winding you up” she said as she kissed him again “Anyway I am going to get off, I’ll see you guys later on” Charlie said as she pecked Brax continuously on the lips. With a smile on her face Charlie made her way down the stairs and out of the surf club, her steps faltered as she got closer to the beach and saw a distressed Casey on the beach with Sasha chasing after him.

The Beach

“Hey Casey wait up” Sasha called as she tried to catch up with an agitated Casey

“Sash just leave me alone” Casey shouted as he tried to put more distance between the two of them. Finally catching up with him, Sasha pulled on his arm to make him stop.

“Casey, please just stop. You need to tell someone about what’s going on”

“I can handle it”

“No you can’t Casey you looked like you was going to lose it back there”

“He called me scum, he said me and my family are scum and that I wouldn’t amount to nothing. I don’t know how much more of this I can take”

“Case tell Gina, I’m sure she can help”

“Why would she help me, why would she even believe me? He’s a teacher I’m just a Braxton”

“She’ll believe us both, I know what’s been going on as well. We can go to here together, Case he can’t get away with the way he’s behaving”

“Just leave me alone and stop telling me what to do” Casey said as he shouted at Sasha

“Hey, hey what’s going on here” Charlie said as she ran down seeing that the situation was getting too much

“Nothing Charlie” Casey replied giving Sasha a harsh look which Charlie saw.

“It’s not nothing” replied Sasha trying not to let Casey intimidate her. The situation between Casey and Mr Townsend had been going on for far too long and someone needed to talk some sense into Casey before he done something stupid.

“Just go Sasha, it’s got nothing to do with you. I don’t want or need your help.” Casey shouted

Seeing tears spring to Sasha’s eyes Charlie thought it best to get Sasha to leave before Casey said anything else to upset the girl.

“Hey Sasha, I can take it from here”

“Okay” Sasha said wiping her eyes and walking up the beach

“I don’t want to talk” Casey said has he went to walk off

“You have two options, you talk to me or I can go up to the restaurant and explain what I just saw and you can have it out with your brothers. The choice is yours”

“Don’t tell them, look I can handle it just don’t bring them into it. Everything’s settling down I don’t want to mess that up”

“Case what’s wrong, because there is clearly something going on.”

Sighing Casey sat down in the sand and looked out to the water. Sitting down beside him Charlie tried to think of the best way to try to get Casey to open up to her.

“Brax never wanted me to be like him and Heath, always wanting me to be more. He always would argue with Heath about keeping me out of the dangerous dodgy things they used to do. “You can do better than this Case” he would say to me but I am more Braxton then he thinks. I’m just a disappointment”

“Hey Case, no you’re not. Brax is so proud of you, your back in school and you’re going to get your HSC”

“Why should I bother when teachers think I am scum, the very people that I are supposed to be helping me don’t even believe in me”

“Where’s this coming from, who said you were scum” Charlie asked shocked by what Casey had said

“It doesn’t matter” Casey said feeling like he had said too much already

“You tell me now, who said that to you” Charlie demanded

“Mr Townsend, he’s a new teacher. We don’t get along, he told me….. He said that me and my family are scum and that I wouldn’t amount to anything.”

“Have you spoken to anyone about this?” Charlie asked disgusted

“No, Sasha knows what’s been going on but what’s the point I am a Braxton. The names dirt to people around here”

“Casey he should not be saying things like that to you, that’s the point. You are a bright smart boy”

“Who’s been in juvie, he is right I won’t amount to nothing”

“Don’t you ever say that about yourself”

“If you knew you wouldn’t be saying those things about me”

“If I knew what?”

“I did something and I…… your all going to hate me. You won’t want me with Ruby anymore and Brax….. He’s going to be so disappointed.”

“Casey” Charlie said as she put her arm on his shoulder to sooth a visibly upset Casey “Whatever it is we can work through it”

Sighing Casey thought whether or not to tell Charlie. He didn’t want her or any of them to look at him differently, he was so scared they would be disgusted and horrified by what he had done but he knew it was also eating up at him so much that he wanted to explode.

“When I went into juvie Brax told me to keep my head down and lay low. I did for the first few days, it was so horrible being in there I just wanted the days to go by and for me to get out and be back here. I befriended a kid called Tyler, he was cool a bit too much at times but we got on well and it helped to pass the days by.”

Charlie could feel Casey physically tense up as he continued talking.

“We were on kitchen duty, me and Tyler with another guy. He liked to throw his weight about, you know be the hard man the bully. He started to have a go at Tyler at first started off petty but then he pulled a knife on Tyler. I tried to stick up for him but I wasn’t getting anywhere I couldn’t get him to stop and I wanted him to stop. The look of fear in Tyler’s eyes when he pulled the knife on him I had to step in but I wasn’t getting anywhere. I remember hearing the crackle of the oil in the pan. I remember picking it up and just throwing it at him, then the screams they were so deafening. That kid was in so much pain because of me, he’s been physically scarred because of me and I can’t get rid of that guilt. I am scum look at what I have done” Casey said tears flowing from his eyes. They sat on the beach for several minutes Charlie just holding Casey trying to sooth him.

“Casey what happened, it was a horrible ordeal for all involved. Sometimes we’re pushed into corners and made to do things that we didn’t even know we were capable of. You were trying to protect someone it just it ended in a way that someone got hurt. You done it to protect someone and he was trying to hurt someone and you stepped in. you could just say oh well he deserved it and get on with things but you’re not. You care Case, you’re a caring loving kid and you have enough good in you not to say that and feel guilty and remorseful about it. You need to remember that someone is here because you stepped in, who knows how seriously hurt Tyler would be if you didn’t step in. You’re a good kid Case, you need to remember that”

“I’m just scared; what if snap like that again. I never thought I was capable of doing something like that, I hate all that stuff but look at what I done”

“It’s that place Casey, it’s not you. You need to find a way to work through this, maybe talk to someone”

“I’m talking to you”

“A professional, someone qualified to help. I’m always here to listen but maybe you should talk to a professional, so much as gone on so much to process and I don’t think you have done that”

“I’d feel stupid talking to a shrink”

“Maybe just try it and if it’s not for you then at least you can say you have tried”

“Can I think about it?”

“Yeah! Case I’m sure Brax and Heath would like to help you, they won’t think any different of you”

“I don’t want to tell them, can you?”

“Yeah if you want me to, ummm what about Ruby?”

“I don’t want her to hate me” Casey said worried of his girlfriend’s reaction

“She may be shocked but she won’t hate you I can assure you of that Case”

“Okay, if you tell my brothers I will talk to Ruby and tell her” Casey replied “Charlie I am sorry for laying all this on you”

“Casey your family and I care about you, it’s no trouble okay. Know that you can always come to me and talk to me about anything”

“Thank you Charlie”

“Now I am going to assume that you and Sasha had a free period and that’s why u weren’t in school” Charlie said raising her eyebrows

“Hmmmm yeah you would be right in assuming that” Casey said shifting his gaze

“Right well lets head down to the school before it ends” Charlie said getting up from the sand and dusting herself down

“Why?” Casey asked following Charlie’s lead

“Because no one is getting away with speaking to you like that” Charlie said as she made her way to her car

Summer Bay High

“Can I get out, I need to go to the toilet” Casey asked as Charlie pulled up to Summer Bay High School.

“Go on then, meet me at Gina’s office, I’ll just park the car” Charlie said as she turned to face Casey “Hey, don’t look so worried it will all get sorted out” she said rubbing his arm. Giving her a smile Casey opened the door and walked out of the car and to the school entrance.

-------------------------------------------------------

Walking out of the toilet’s and into the corridor Casey was halted by someone putting their hand on his shoulder and turning him around.

“You didn’t turn up for my lesson, although I shouldn’t be surprised you’re not going to amount to much so why bother”

Casey closed his eyes and took a deep breath not wanting to disappoint Charlie and do something stupid he turned to walk away and meet her at Gina’s office.

“Hey don’t you walk away from me when I am talking to you” Mr Townsend said as he grabbed Casey again and swung him around “You rude insolent boy, when I am talking to you, you listen. Keep this behaviour up and I will…….”

“Get your hands of him” Charlie said as she walked into the scene that was unfolding. Two pairs of eyes turned to her shocked by her appearance in the corridor. Walking up to the pair Charlie physically removed Mr Townsend’s hands from Casey’s shoulders and stood in between the pair.

“Do you care to finish what you were saying to Casey, keep up this behaviour and you’ll what?”

“I was just merely pointing out that Casey needs to learn some manners or I will have to take this matter further with Mrs Austin”

“Well let’s take the matter to her now” Charlie said taking an instant disliking to the man standing in front of her “I heard you tell a young boy that he wasn’t going to amount to much, what kind of teacher says a thing like that?”

“Well I um, I umm I think you may of misheard me”

“No I didn’t and Casey as told me what has been going on.”

“And what’s that exactly?”

“I don’t wish to discuss it here or with you, what I am going to do is go and discuss the matter with Mrs Austin. Come on Casey” Charlie said as she turned her back on Mr Townsend and lead Casey away to Gina’s office.

Walking into Gina’s office they saw her picking up her bag ready to leave.

“Sorry Gina I haven’t made an appointment but I really need to speak to, well Casey needs to talk to you about something” Charlie told Gina

“Do not listen to a thing that kid as to say Gina it’s all lies” Mr Townsend rushed into the office calling out

“Okay what on earth is going on” Gina said confused

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After hearing Casey explain what had been going on Gina felt upset and disappointed in herself feeling that she had somehow failed to see what was going on. She knew that the teacher and student did not get along but she didn’t know that it was as bad as this.

“Sasha also knows what’s been going on so I am sure she will give her side of things as well” Charlie told Gina glad that now it was all out in the open something could now be done about it.

“I will speak to Sasha tomorrow at school, Casey I am so sorry that this has been going on. You should have come to me sooner”

“Also I do not want Casey in any of Mr Townsends classes”

“I can understand that, although technically you are not Casey’s guardian to make that request” Gina said thinking about how she was going to handle the situation

“I doubt you would want Brax here dealing with this situation right now, but I can assure you he would be making the same rational requests as me once his anger were to settle”

“Why don’t the two of you get off and let me speak with Mr Townsend, you will be hearing from me soon” Gina said as she stood up and walked to the door.

“Casey can you wait for me outside please I just want a word with Gina alone”

Nodding his head Casey made his way out of the office and through the waiting room avoiding eye contact with Mr Townsend and into the corridor. Not wanting to wait in the same room as him in case another altercation occurred.

“Is there anything more I can help you with” Gina asked Charlie

“Casey’s been through a lot, as you know. There are also some things that you don’t know about. He’s had a lot to contend with and I just hope that this issue gets dealt with smoothly and quickly. For both his and Sasha’s sakes, unfortunately after all she’s been through she’s being placed in all this as well. I don’t think you need me to point out these are two very vulnerable troubled students who are trying to heal from situations they have had to go through. I hope that with that taken into consideration the situation will be dealt with in a way that will not cause unnecessary stress and upset to them”

“I hear what you are saying and they’re wellbeing is paramount to me” Gina replied to Charlie

“Good, well I’ll leave you too it” Charlie said as she went to exit the office with Gina following behind her.

“Mr Townsend can you please come into my office” Gina said as she walked back to her chair

“Look Gina you can’t believe anything that kid said he’s just causing trouble”

“It’s very hard not to when he has another student who is willing to back him up and also your records not squeaky clean. You are aware we have cctv in our corridors so I will be checking for this afternoons incident, what do you think I will see?”

“I only tapped his shoulders, look Gina there is no point in doing this. I am a good teacher; don’t ruin my career over someone like him. That Braxton kid isn’t going to amount to much. A drunk for a mother and drug dealers for brothers”

“You are suspended effective immediately pending an internal investigation”

“What?”

“You heard me, I won’t stand for this in my school do you hear me. Now get out of my office” Gina said getting angry

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie said that she would stop of by the farm as Casey wanted to see Sasha and apologise for the confrontation earlier on the beach. Sitting in the car Charlie sat and waited for Casey to come back so they could deal with the issue of talking to Ruby, Brax and Heath.

“Hey is Sasha in?” Casey asked Dexter as he opened the door

“Yeah, do you want to come in?”

“Na, umm Charlie’s waiting for me in the car”

“Okay, I’ll just go get her for you” Dex said as he walked back into the house

“Hey” Sasha said as she walked to the door

“Hey, look I just wanted to say sorry for earlier. I should never have spoken to you like that; you were just being a good friend. It’s just I was so angry”

“It’s okay, maybe I should have left you to cool down before it even got to that point I was just scared you would do something stupid and I just wanted to make sure that you knew that what Mr Townsend said to you wasn’t true. You’re going to do well at school, you try so hard and you care about doing well”

“Thanks Sasha and you’ll be happy to know that I told Charlie and we just went down to the school and spoke to Gina. I hope you don’t mind but Charlie mentioned that you know what’s been going on so Gina may talk to you, I’m sorry for getting you dragged into all this”

“Casey seriously I don’t mind, he shouldn’t be allowed to behave like that. I have no problem speaking to Gina about what’s been going on so don’t feel bad or guilty about me being involved okay”

“Okay, well I best get going. I’ll see you tomorrow” Casey said as he went to walk back to the car

Braxton House

Sitting in the car Charlie sat in silence with Casey, waiting for him to take the lead and make his way to the house. They had been sat there for 10 minutes now and Charlie felt if she didn’t say anything soon they would be there the whole evening.

“Case maybe it’s times we went in” Charlie said to the young boy who was worried about having to explain things

“You’ll speak to Heath and Brax for me?”

“If that’s what’s you want yeah I will”

“About everything?”

“Yeah, I can speak to Ruby to as well if you don’t feel like you can do it” Charlie suggested

“Na I think I should tell her, I shut her out a lot during the court case and going juvie I think maybe she’d appreciate it better if it came from me. I just…. Brax and Heath they’re my brothers and Brax he sees me in a certain way. I can’t take seeing the disappointment in his eyes”

“Case I can tell you one thing he won’t be disappointed, he loves you and cares about you so much” Charlie said as she rubbed his arm in comfort

“Come on lets go in” She said as she unbuckled her belt and opened the car door.

Walking up to the house with Casey, Charlie opened the door to see Brax, Heath and Ruby eating pizza and watching a film on the tv.

“Hey, I’ve been trying to call you. We saved you guys some pizza, Heath couldn’t wait any longer I swear he’s always hungry” Brax said

“What’s wrong?” Ruby said as she saw the worried look on Casey’s face

“Where’s Darcy?” Charlie asked walking further into the house

“Umm she’s at VJ’s they got an assignment to do” Heath said turning the volume on the tv down.

“Okay, umm Rubes how about you and Casey go for a walk or a drive you can take my car” Charlie said as she handed her the keys. Turning to Casey she gave him a warm reassuring smile as she ushered them out of house.

“Okay, what’s going on” Brax asked worried.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 34

Ruby had been sitting trying to digest all that Casey had told her. She could see the worry and pain in his eyes and his voice and she didn’t want to say the wrong thing to him to cause him anymore pain.

“Do you hate me?” Casey asked her after the long silence “I wouldn’t blame you if you did, what I done its……”

“Stop” Ruby said putting her hand over his mouth “Why didn’t you tell me any of this sooner?”

“Well the thing in juvie, when I got back we were going to prom and looking to the future. We were so happy and I didn’t want you to hate me or be disgusted by what I had done, you’re one of the good things in my life. I couldn’t bear for you to reject me or look at me with horror and disgust. ”

“And the stuff with school?”

“After everything that happened with your mum everything had just started to settle and I didn’t want to cause anymore drama. I thought I could handle it but I guess I was wrong because it just got worse and then I didn’t know what to do”

“Well for one I don’t hate you, I’ll be honest I am shocked but I don’t hate you and I can understand how… why it happened. I cannot even begin to imagine what it must have been like for you in there. You could have told me, I am not going to judge you or leave you because of what happened. You were protecting someone Case, it may have ended badly but you had good intentions to protect someone from a bully.”

“That’s what your mum said”

“Well she’s right. Casey I want you to know that you can talk to me, I love you. I know things have been crazy around here lately but you need to remember that you matter as well.”

“I guess I just got used to not talking that I didn’t know how to open up”

“Well that’s something we are going to have to work on”

“Yeah!!! Ummmm your mum suggested I speak to someone about things, like a professional.”

“That’s not a bad idea maybe you should give it a go”

“I might, we have a new school counsellor I thought maybe when I feel ready maybe I will go and see them”

“I’ll support and be there for you no matter what you do. Speaking of school, you know what he said wasn’t true. You Casey Braxton are going to amount to something, you’re going to finish school and go on to uni to be whatever you choose to be” Ruby said smiling at her boyfriend as she pulled him into her arms and kissed him.

“Don’t ever leave me Ruby, I don’t know what I would do without you” Casey said relieved that he had finally told Ruby about what had been going on.

“I’m not going anywhere” Ruby said.

Braxton House

“I’m gonna kill him” Heath said as he seethed with anger at what Mr Townsend had been doing to Casey

“Heath calm down, the situation is being dealt with, maybe not the way you would like to deal with it but at least this way he’s the only one getting into trouble and neither of you are facing assault charges” Charlie said. She had explained everything to them asking that they don’t interrupt until she was done telling them all that had been going on.

“No one talks to my brother like that and gets away with it” Heath said pacing up and down

Charlie glanced at Brax who had sat through it all silently; she could see a myriad of emotions playing out on his face.

“Heath sit down” Brax said in a tone leaving no room for arguments

“So what’s the school going to do?” He said looking at Charlie

“Gina’s said she’ll get back to us on the situation but I made it clear that Casey as well as Sasha have been through a lot recently and the situation should be dealt with in a way that doesn’t cause any more stress or upset to them. I also told her that Casey won’t be attending anymore of Mr Townsend classes. She still needs to talk to Sasha as she can back up Casey’s side of things but I also saw Mr Townsend act inappropriately with Casey when we got to the school which I explained to Gina”

“So what we just wait” Heath asked irritated

“Yeah but now it’s out in the open I doubt Mr Townsend will be allowed to stay in the school until the investigation is complete. Now we know, I think Casey will be more open to talk to one of us about the situation if anything else occurs” Charlie said trying to relieve the tension in the room

“Why didn’t he come and speak to us sooner, why didn’t he come to talk to me” Brax said feeling like he had somehow failed his brother

“He just didn’t want to add any more stress” at Brax’s look she put her hand up to stop him from talking “I told him that no matter what’s going on he should feel he can speak to one of us and he now knows that”

“What I don’t get is why is it you telling us all this and not Casey, why is he so scared to talk to me. I asked him about juvie, I gave him to opportunity to tell me about anything bad that might have happened?”

“Brax he was scared” Charlie said trying to explain things

“What of me, there’s no reason for him to have felt like that”

“He was scared of you being disappointed in him. You know he looks up to you; he didn’t want to see the disappointment on your face once you found out. Brax we all know your main goal with Casey is to make sure he doesn’t live the life you and Heath had, that he has more… an education. He feels he’s let you down with all that’s happened and he felt that if you found out about what happened when he was away you may be even more disappointed in him”

“He was looking out for someone, I’m not disappointed about what he’s done. He’s got enough good in him to feel bad about it. I’m just disappointed he didn’t come and talk to me about it”

“Brax his heads all over the place and after everything’s that happened I guess he felt he couldn’t talk to anyone but it’s out in the open now so let’s just be there for him and help him”

As they sat in silence, Heath and Brax trying to take everything in they were brought out of their thoughts by the door opening. Ruby walked in ahead of a hesitant Casey.

“Ruby, how about we go to Leah’s and see if Darcy is ready to come home.” Charlie said wanting to give the brothers time to talk

“Umm okay” Ruby said realising that her mum wanted to give the boys time to talk. Ruby was reluctant to leave Casey but knew that they needed to talkut knew that they needed to talk; taking his hand she kissed him on the cheek and whispered “It’ll be all right, they’re your brothers, and they love you. I love you” she let go of his hand as she walked out the door with her mum.

As they made their way to Charlie’s car Ruby pulled on her mums hand to bring her to a stop. Charlie was surprised as Ruby unexpectedly wrapped her arms around her to give her a hug.

“Hey, what’s this for?” Charlie asked as her daughter held her tight in her arms

“Thank you” Ruby said kissing her mum on the cheek and pulling back from the hug “Thank you for helping Casey, he told me how you spoke to him and what you did at the school, your reassurance and sticking up for him, it really helped him”

“No thanks you needed, I am just glad that I was able to help him and hopefully things will get better for him” Charlie said as they resumed making their way to the car.

------------------------------------------------

Sitting in silence the brothers didn’t really know what to say, not really being big talkers when it came to feeling and not wanting to say the wrong thing.

“Can one of you just say something?” Casey said feeling worried by their continued silence

“Honestly Case I want to go smack that teacher in the face” Heath said still feeling angry about hearing about how he had been treating his brother

“It’s being dealt with so don’t go getting yourself into trouble, you got Darcy to think about” Casey said not wanting his brother to do anything that would get him into trouble with the police

“Why didn’t you tell us” Brax said finally speaking

“About……..?” Casey asked

“Well firstly the school situation” Brax asked

“We’ve just got back to normal, with everything that’s been going on I didn’t want to tell anyone about it. At least at home everything was finally alright, I thought I could handle it and then when it got too much I just thought at least when I come home everything’s finally good. I didn’t want to rock the boat.”

“Case you should have told us, no matter what is going on you are important if anything’s bad, if anyone is troubling you, you talk to us got it” Brax said to his brother never wanting him to feel like he can’t talk to him

“I guess I needed reminding of that, but I know that now. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you but I spoke to Gina about it all now”

“I just wish I could have been there for you” Brax said looking to the floor

“That’s alright, you should have seen Charlie she handled it all really well. Mr Townsend tried to manipulate her when she caught him talking to me rudely in the corridor. She was having none of it and with Gina as well, it helped that she would go out of her way to stand up for me. She really stood up for me even though she didn’t have to, she could have just passed the situation on to you two but she didn’t and I suppose it helped me to feel like I wasn’t as worthless as I thought”

“Casey don’t ever feel like that, don’t let anyone make you feel like that. I may not say it often but you are the good one out of us three. I may not have been supportive about the whole school thing in the past but you are going to make something of yourself Casey. You got the brains out of the three of us” Heath said upset that his brother ever thought that about himself

“With juvie and then Mr Townsend I just started to believe it, I started to think that maybe it was true. What I done…….. , that guys face is scarred because of what I done” Casey said as he fiddled with his hands not wanting to look at his brothers

“Casey why didn’t you tell me, I asked you when you came out if you wanted to talk about anything that may have happened while you were in there?” Brax asked still not understanding why Casey didn’t speak to him about it.

“When I first got out I went to prom with Ruby and we were talking about the future and I just wanted to forget. Then everything with Charlie, you were so lost and broken Brax I couldn’t talk to you about it”

“What about me?” Heath asked, even though he knew that Brax and Casey were probably a lot closer especially because Brax had taken on the role of parent as they were growing up but he still felt like Casey should have been able to go and talk to him.

“You were finally stepping up Heath, being there for Brax and then taking care of Darcy. I just felt like I couldn’t talk to anyone and I didn’t want to. I didn’t want for anyone to hate me for what I done, I didn’t want Brax to be disappointed in me”

“Casey we are family, your my baby brother and always will be. No matter what, I am always going to be there for you and just for the record I am not disappointed in you. You stood up for someone, that’s you always wanting to stand up for people.”

“”But Brax the guys scarred” Casey said still feeling bad for what happened

“Teaches him a lesson for bullying people” Heath said feeling like he got what he deserved if he went around pulling knives on people and bullying them

“HEATH!!!” Brax said giving his brother a stern look “Casey he could have killed your friend, if you never stepped in then someone could be burying their son, you were looking out for someone. That’s what you got to remember okay”

“I’m trying to, Charlie said that I need to remember that someone is here because I stepped in and who knows how seriously hurt Tyler would be if I didn’t do anything”

“Well Buckton’s right Casey so just remember that okay” Heath told his brother

“Sounds like she gave you some sound advice” Brax said glad that she had been able to talk to Casey and find out all that had been going on.

Leah’s House

Leah and Charlie had been catching up over a glass of wine sitting in her kitchen as Ruby helped Darcy and Vj with their assignment in the living room.

“It’s good doing this again” Leah said as they sat at the table with wine and snacks “I do miss living with you”

“Aww Leah I do as well but it is nice living with Brax, not to sound to mushy but it’s wonderful waking up with him by my side in the mornings”

“It’s not mushy, I know the feeling” Leah said wistfully

“How are you coping without Miles, I know it’s been a bit of time but something tells me you still miss him”

Sighing Leah played with the rim of her wine glass “I do miss him, not only did a relationship break up but I lost one of my best friends” Leah told Charlie feeling upset that she had lost a really good friend from her life.

“Given time you could get the friendship back, they do have phones over there or you could e-mail him.”

“Yeah, but I think maybe he needs his time to heal from all that happened between us”

“I think your right, but remember you were both really good friends before you got together, given time you could salvage that if your both willing to try” Charlie told her as she placed her hand on Leah’s and gave it a squeeze. As they sat chatting Bianca came walking past the kitchen window and knocked on the door.

“Hey Bianca” Leah said as she opened the door to let her in

“Hi, ummm hi Charlie” Bianca said looking to her once best friend

“Hi” Charlie said as she took a sip of her wine.

“Can I get you a glass” Leah asked Bianca

“I’m not really staying long I just wanted to ask you a favour” Bianca asked feeling a little awkward. Although she and Charlie were civil they hadn’t really spoken properly.

“Okay, what’s up?”

“I wanted to ask if you would do the catering for mine and Liam’s engagement party. We didn’t really want to have one before with everything that was going on so decided now would be a good time.”

“Well I would be delighted to do the catering for you, where are you holding it?” Leah asked pouring out more wine into her glass

“Ummm we’re not sure yet, still in the process of sorting that out”

“I would of thought you would have done it at Angelo’s, Liam could try to get mates rate plus a staff discount on hiring the place” Leah said laughing trying to lighten the tension in the room

“I’m not sure whether that’s possible but we’re looking into venues”

“Have you asked Brax about using Angelo’s” Charlie asked speaking directly to Bianca

“After the last time we ran into each other I didn’t think it would be a good idea”

“That’s was weeks ago, despite how he might feel about you Liam is a friend of his so I think he’d be fine with you guys having the engagement party there. Well that’s if you want it there”

“Angelo’s would be a lovely venue, I’ll talk to Liam. Right well I better get going. Bye Leah Charlie” Bianca said as she exited the house.

“Well that wasn’t awkward” Leah said

“I haven’t really seen Bianca, I suppose it’s just weird since we used to be such good friends and now I’m not even sure what we are and then there’s the tension and awkwardness. It’s weird to have been so comfortable and at ease around someone that you don’t have to think how to act then to go to not knowing how to be with them at all. Does that make sense?”

“I get what you mean. Maybe like you said about me and Miles, given time you could salvage your friendship if your both willing to try”

“I suppose your right” Charlie said giving Leah a warm smile, Charlie had been more focused on dealing with other things that she hadn’t really given the situation with Bianca much thought. “Leah it’s been great but I think we should get going it’s getting late” Charlie said as she called into the front room for Ruby and Darcy to get ready.

“Come round more often okay, I miss our chats. We’re gonna have to make more of an effort now we’re not living together” Leah said as they embraced at the door

“I will and you’re welcome to come round anytime as well” Charlie told her as she, Ruby and Darcy made their way to the car.

Archived