Alison Patterson's Journey

Bretto

Episode 29 - The Trial (Part 1)

On Monday morning at exactly 11 o'clock, Dina and her friends head to the local court for the trial.

Bailiff: All rise.

*Judge Marilyn Milian enters the courtroom before taking her seat*

Judge Milian: Please be seated.

*Everyone sits down except the Bailiff*

Bailiff: The people vs. Robert Jennings and Paul Donahue is now in session.

Judge Milian: Now Mr Jennings. Where we you on the night of June 27, 1987?

Jennings: I was at home. Why?

Judge Milian: Because that was the night that Trish Hampton was raped in her home!

Jennings: Oh that night! I was over at her place and I raped her. Satisfied now?

Judge Milian: I will NOT allow impertinence in my courtroom! Now, may I call Trish Hampton to the stand please?

*Trish goes over to the witness box and sits down*

Judge Milian: Ms Hampton. What time did the rape take place?

Trish: It was in the early hours of Sunday morning. I woke up to this loud thud and as I went to investigate Mr Jennings grabbed me by the throat and said that if I didn't keep quiet he would kill me. What came next was the worst twenty minutes I have ever experienced. After he left, I just sobbed and sobbed like a baby.

*Jennings laughs*

Trish: DO YOU THINK RAPE IS A LAUGHING MATTER YOU A***HOLE?!? I HOPE YOU ROT IN HELL YOU PIG!!! May I go back to my seat?

Judge Milian: Sure.

*Trish goes back to her seat but not before glaring at Jennings*

A few minutes later, Judge Milian calls Dina to the witness box.

Judge Milian: Ms Caliente. What were you doing on the night of April 12?

Dina: I was shopping with my friend looking at baby furniture for my new baby.

Judge Milian: What happened after you left the shopping centre?

Dina: I walked home and those two BASTARDS pulled up next to me and they asked for directions to the hospital. Jennings then covered his hand over my mouth while Donahue tried to drag me into the car. I managed to bite Jennings before they escaped.

Judge Milian: Thank you Ms Caliente. You may take a seat. I would like to call Leon Longbottom to the stand.

*Leon walks over to the witness box and sits down*

Judge Milian: Leon. Where were you on the night of April 12?

Leon: I was riding my bike home from my friend's house. He lives two blocks away from my house.

Donahue: We don't want ya life story mate!

Judge Milian: SHUT UP!!!!! *to Leon* Go ahead Leon.

Leon: I was on my way home when I saw the men try and pull Dina into the car. I managed to punch Donahue in the face before Jennings pushed me to the ground. I helped Dina get home safely that night.

Judge Milian: How old are you?

Leon: I'll be 14 in August.

Judge Milian: It must have taken you a lot of courage for you to save Ms Caliente's life. I hereby recommend you be awarded a Bravery Medal.

Leon: Thanks your honour. *returns to his seat*

*Alison and Nina both hug him*

Alison: You deserve that medal.

Nina: I'm so proud of you.

Judge Milian: The final sentencing will occur tomorrow. That's all.

Bailiff: Parties are excused, you may step out.

*Everyone in the court leaves while Jennings and Donahue are led away by two police officers*

ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF ALISON PATTERSON'S JOURNEY

- Judge Milian gives out her final ruling

WHEN ALISON PATTERSON'S JOURNEY CONTINUES

Episode 30 - The Trial (Part 2)

The next day (Tuesday), Dina and her friends return to court to hear Judge Milian's final ruling.

Judge Milian: Jennings and Donahue. You have shown no remorse to your victims and their families. I think that its very sad that those women have to live with what you did to them forever! *turns to the jury* Members of the jury, have you reached a verdict?

*A female jury member stands up*

Female Juror: We have your honour. We find the defendants......

Dina: *whispers* Please be guilty. Please be guilty.

Female Juror: GUILTY!!!!

*Dina and Trish hug each other while their friends and family give out hugs and kisses*

Judge Milian: Robert Francis Jennings. For the rape of Trish Hampton and the attempted kidnapping of Dina Caliente, I hereby sentence you to 35 years in jail with a non-parole period of 20. Paul James Donahue. For the attempted kidnapping of Dina Caliente, I hereby sentence you to 15 years in jail with a non-parole period of 10 years. Case dismissed. *bangs on her gavel*

*Jennings and Donahue are lead away by two police officers while Dina and Trish continue to celebrate their victory*

As they leave the courtroom, news cameras and journalists are all waiting to interview Dina and Trish.

Channel 7 Journalist: How do you feel about the sentencing?

Dina: I feel very relived.

Channel 10 Journalist: Are you glad this whole trial is over?

Trish: Yes, I am. Me and Dina are determined to move on with our lives.

The aftermath of the trial is the first story of that night’s 6pm news

Ron Wilson (on TV): The men who tried to abduct hairdresser Dina Caliente have pleaded guilty in court today. One of the men also pleaded guilty to the rape of Melbourne woman Trish Hampton two years ago.

Sandra Sully (on TV): It was a victory to celebrate. Friends and family of Dina Caliente and Trish Hampton breathed a sigh of relief as the men that made their lives a misery pleaded guilty and were sentenced in court today. Robert Francis Jennings raped Ms Hampton in her Lalor home in June 1987. He, along with Paul James Donahue also tried to abduct Dina Caliente just a few kilometres from her Civic home last week.

Dina (on TV): Those bastards got what they deserved for their crimes and I hope they rot in their prison cell.

Trish (on TV): Me and Dina are determined to move on with our lives. I’m just glad that they were given a harsh sentence.

Sandra Sully (on TV): Justice Marilyn Milian told the men; “You have shown no remorse to your victims and their families. I think that its very sad that those women have to live with what you did to them forever.”

*The TV now show Sandra outside the courtroom*

Sandra Sully: Justice Milian recommended a bravery award for the boy who saved Ms Caliente’s life. Leon Longbottom put his own life at risk to save the terrified woman by punching Donahue in the face.

Leon (on TV): I feel very honoured that I saved one of my friends from nearly being kidnapped. Dina and Trish didn’t deserve this. They are good, decent people.

Sandra Sully: Jennings was sentenced to 35 years imprisonment with a 20 year non-parole period. Donahue was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment with a non-parole period of 10 years. They are behind bars tonight in Silverwater Correctional Centre. Sandra Sully, TEN Eyewitness News.

*Alison turns off the TV*

Alison: Glad those pigs are in prison! I’m just glad that you and Trish are safe.

Dina: Me too.

*Suddenly, there is a knock at the door. Nina opens it to find Trish standing there.*

Nina: Hello Trish. Come on in.

*Trish goes inside*

Trish: I just came to say goodbye to Dina. I’m heading back to Melbourne tonight.

Dina: I hope you have a safe trip back. We will keep in contact I promise.

Trish: Maybe one day you could come and visit me.

Dina: I hope so. I’ll miss you.

*Dina and Trish hug*

Trish: Goodbye everyone. *leaves the house*

Alison, Dina and Nina: Goodbye.

*Dina closes the door before hugging both Alison and Nina*

ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF ALISON PATTERSON’S JOURNEY

- Brock returns home from the hospital

- Melissa’s mother continues to wreak havoc in the household

- Leon and Dina spend some time together

WHEN ALISON PATTERSON’S JOURNEY CONTINUES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is the long awaited Episode 31.

Episode 31 - Morals and Values

On Wednesday afternoon, Jenny and Alison arrive at the hospital to take Brock back home.

Jenny: Ready to go home sweetheart?

Brock: You bet. *gets his suitcase which is full of clothes*

Alison: Being cooped up in hospital must drive you insane.

Brock: Sometimes. But you know, the doctors do they hardest to help you recover

Jenny: *to Alison* Will you be okay on your own?

Alison: Of course Jen. I’ve looked after the house before.

Jenny: I’ll only be gone for two weeks while Brock recovers. You make sure you study every single day. *smiles*

Alison: I will. I have to go over to Sylvia’s shortly. She’s looking after the Varu kids.

Jenny: Well that’s on the way. I’ll drop you.

Alison: No thanks. I’ll catch the bus.

Jenny: Suit yourself. I’ll see you in a fortnight. *kisses Alison’s cheek*

Alison: See you then. *to Brock* Bye Brock.

Brock: Bye Alison.

*Jenny and Brock walk away while Alison goes over to the bus stop to wait for a bus*

At Melissa’s house, Mrs Powell is continuing to annoy Nina.

Mrs Powell: There you are Nina. Look, I need to go to the Bottle-O.

*Nina reads the newspaper pretending not to hear Mrs Powell*

Mrs Powell: I said I need to go to the Bottle-O.

Nina: Then why aren’t you going?

Mrs Powell: I need someone to take me.

Nina: I’m busy. Sorry.

Mrs Powell: You’re reading the bloody paper!

Nina: I’m trying to find another job via the classifieds. Ask Melissa to take you.

Melissa: Her and Kat Benson have gone shopping.

Nina: Well, I’m sorry. It looks like you’re going to miss out.

Mrs Powell: You’re an ignorant cow!

*Nina turns around and throws the newspaper down on the coffee table*

Nina: Excuse me? I have tried to be nice to you Essie but all you do is criticise, criticise and CRITICISE!!!

Mrs Powell: I do not.

Nina: Oh, really? Last weekend, you were complaining about the way Kingsley’s Chicken cook their hot chips. And not only that, you had a go at this Asian woman for spitting in the ladies toilet!

Mrs Powell: She was being a pig!

Nina: She was spitting out mucus!

Mrs Powell: I’m going to the Bottle-O now. Goodbye Nina. *walks out the front door*

*Nina lets out a heavy sigh*

Meanwhile, Dina has decided to spend quality time with Leon.

Dina: I don’t know how long I’m going to take of Melissa’s mother. Trust me.

Leon: What’s she done?

Dina: On Saturday, me and Nina were stuck with the old biddy while Melissa had to run some errands of her own. And the whole time she complained about almost everything. “I didn’t know they cooked their chips that hard!” “You filthy human being. We don’t spit in the toilet!”. I was so glad to be home.

Leon: That must have been a rough day for you.

Dina: I was so close to screaming at her. Trust me. So, how was school?

Leon: It was okay. Todd being an a**hole as usual.

Dina: That’s not good. He’ll probably wind up on the streets one day.

Leon: That’s what I think too. How’s bubba?

Dina: Bubba?

Leon: The baby.

Dina: Oh. It's healthy and not long now before it’s due to come out of my stomach.

Leon: I wish I had kids.

Dina: You will one day. I just hope not right now.

Leon: Definately not. Dad would kill me.

Dina: You'll be a great father. I just know it.

Leon: Thanks *hugs Dina*

When Dina arrives home, she finds Melissa standing in the living-room looking furious.

Dina: What's wrong Mel?

Melissa: I just want to know why YOUR sister allowed MY mother to go to a Bottle-O!

Dina: You know your mother drinks.

Melissa: Only on special occasions. And what's this I hear about the two of you giving her hard time at the shops last Saturday?

Dina: WE gave her a hard time? More like the other way around!

Melissa: If the you and her don't start treating my mother with respect, then I will have no choice but to throw you out.

ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF ALISON PATTERSON'S JOURNEY

- Rachael makes a surprise phone call to Alison

- Melissa's mother tries to get Dina and Nina kicked out of her the house

- Alexis gets caught drinking wine in school

WHEN ALISON PATTERSON'S JOURNEY CONTINUES