Paul O'Brien "I wasn't proud of Home and Away"

Guest charmed60

“I’ve never even watched H&A,” he admits. “I didn’t want to watch it because I’d know we did a scene in one take because we ran out of time. You’re spelling everything out to the audience, and that’s not what acting is about. It’s about subtext and what’s not being said. It’s a different genre of acting and I’ll never go back.”
did he mean less talk more action ? no wonder the long walks on the beach weren't his thing like ^_^ one line but takes two doesn't it ^_^ withchange of landscape there was a lot of making up to do with lots of takes and lots of twos toes whatever from every corner upside down up under it was untill dogy came turning it they landed to the backseat of the car, it was a hard landing and the sun was already under when they were droveing

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O'Brien full of gratitude for Summer Bay

Sunday Herald Sun

July 18 2010

Paul O'Brien has come out in support of his former employer, Home and Away, despite being quoted in TV Week bagging the show.

O'Brien spent nearly four years on the soap.

He told TV Week he was not proud of his work.

'As an actor, I was like, 'What am I doing?' I get asked every day, 'When are you going to come back?',' he told the magazine during the week.

'It's never going to happen.'

O'Brien, who has just finished the lead role as murdered cop Rodney Miller in the first Underbelly telemovie, said he was taken out of context and was full of gratitude for Home and Away.

'I loved my experience on Home and Away and loved working on the show,' he said.

'It was a fantastic learning curve.'

The actor moved to Melbourne this year and has set up an acting school in St. Kilda called The Actors Nest.

He has always been a keen teacher.

As for his role in Underbelly: Tell Them Lucifer Was Here, O'Brien was tight lipped, only saying he enjoyed every minute of filming the Channel 9 telemovie this year.

'The fact is it's a true story, so it does have a weight to it,' he said.

'As an actor it does make you enjoy it more.'

So the article WAS taken out of context. I owe Paul O'Brien an apology for coming to the wrong conclusions!

To be totally honest, I don't see how saying:

"But it’s never going to happen [returning]. Ever. If you paid me one million dollars, I’d still say no, because I want to act in stuff that I’m proud of – and, unfortunately, I wasn’t proud of H&A"

Can be taken out of context?

I understand that the media thrives on negativity and sensationalism, but I just don't see how Paul was taken out of context, or could be. He said what he said and it's obvious to see that he's ungrateful despite the context or question that was posed to him.

I think it's easy to say one thing and then to try and back-track by saying "I was taken out of context". So I wouldn't be surprised if it was his agent that urged him to say something positive afterwards just to salvage his image.

He's entitled to his opinion, no matter how stupid it is, but he should at least have the decency to be grateful towards the show that effectively put him on the map and thus provided him the stepping stones to fulfill his passion. Getting a major break through into a show like home and away deserves alot more than what he said.

Shame really. And the sad thing is, it's not as if he's a great actor or is doing that great right now.

Sunday Herald Sun

July 18 2010

Paul O'Brien has come out in support of his former employer, Home and Away, despite being quoted in TV Week bagging the show.

'As an actor, I was like, 'What am I doing?' I get asked every day, 'When are you going to come back?',' he told the magazine during the week.

O'Brien, who has just finished the lead role as murdered cop Rodney Miller in the first Underbelly telemovie, said he was taken out of context and was full of gratitude for Home and Away.

'I loved my experience on Home and Away and loved working on the show,' he said.

The actor moved to Melbourne this year and has set up an acting school in St. Kilda called The Actors Nest.

As for his role in Underbelly: Tell Them Lucifer Was Here, O'Brien was tight lipped, only saying he enjoyed every minute of filming the Channel 9 telemovie this year.

So the article WAS taken out of context. I owe Paul O'Brien an apology for coming to the wrong conclusions!

"But it’s never going to happen [returning]. Ever. If you paid me one million dollars, I’d still say no, because I want to act in stuff that I’m proud of – and, unfortunately, I wasn’t proud of H&A"

I understand that the media thrives on negativity and sensationalism, but I just don't see how Paul was taken out of context, or could be. He said what he said and it's obvious to see that he's ungrateful despite the context or question that was posed to him.

I think it's easy to say one thing and then to try and back-track by saying "I was taken out of context". So I wouldn't be surprised if it was his agent that urged him to say something positive afterwards just to salvage his image.

He's entitled to his opinion, no matter how stupid it is, but he should at least have the decency to be grateful towards the show that effectively put him on the map and thus provided him the stepping stones to fulfill his passion. Getting a major break through into a show like home and away deserves alot more than what he said.

Shame really. And the sad thing is, it's not as if he's a great actor or is doing that great right now.

I think the point is that he didn't say what TV Week reported him as saying. TV Week made it up.

How do you know TV Week made it up? I doubt they would do that, ok they are tabloid, but not to that extent. There is a a little 'fan letter' thing where readers write in about such and such, there is one by a disappointed Paul fan about what he said in the last TV week interview bagging Home and Away out- she won $100.

If the second interview ever happened because they were threatning to sue because Paul has an agent and things weren't put in softer words from tvweek because he's not very nice to the media either why should they bother changing his words more suitable for the public when with other stars it mostly not even necessary

Sunday Herald Sun

July 18 2010

I think the point is that he didn't say what TV Week reported him as saying. TV Week made it up.

Taken out of context and actually not saying something are two totally different things. If Paul O Brien didn't say any of the negative things he said, then he would have said so. But all he said was "I was taken out of context".

I doubt ANY magazine (whether the over all reputation of that magazine is good or not) would make up such a thing. It opens up a can of worms and someone like Paul O Brien could sue and easily win a court case putting the future of the magazine at jeopardy. Plus, why would a magazine make up something about a (no offence) D list actor?

Kade Kempson i totally agree with you. Paul did not say that he never said those things to tv week or that anyone had fabricated the interview. It seems to me he let his mouth run away with his opinion and when he realised the backlash he was getting from the fans, all of a sudden his comments had been "taken out of context". The usual copout actors use when they realise they have put their foot in it !

Paul O’Brien got his big break as cop Jack Holden in Home And Away, but now that he’s scored a gig in telemovie Underbelly Files: Tell Them Lucifer Was Here, he’s lashed out at his former employers.

“H&A was an amazing experience but, as an actor, I was like, ‘What am I doing?’” Paul tells TV WEEK. “I can’t say I felt proud of the work I did.” Despite this, Paul says fans still ask him to reprise the role – even though Jack was killed off in 2009.

“I get asked every day, ‘When are you going back?’” the 32-year-old says. “But it’s never going to happen. Ever. If you paid me one million dollars, I’d still say no, because I want to act in stuff that I’m proud of – and, unfortunately, I wasn’t proud of H&A.”

Paul has relocated to Melbourne since leaving Summer Bay, and he couldn’t be happier to be far from the soap that put his name on the map.

“I’ve never even watched H&A,” he admits. “I didn’t want to watch it because I’d know we did a scene in one take because we ran out of time. You’re spelling everything out to the audience, and that’s not what acting is about. It’s about subtext and what’s not being said. It’s a different genre of acting and I’ll never go back.”

Credit to TV Week

Not sure how to take that really, it seems a bit distasteful and a bit of a criticism of all his ex colleagues who are working on the show and as far as I can see it; acting amazingly and producing really good work (most of them anyway.) He's coming across as one of 'those' actors who went to Hollywood for a bit and starts getting ahead of himself - I'm quite surprised to hear this from him.

It's a shame he feels that way, really. :unsure:

How do you know TV Week made it up? I doubt they would do that, ok they are tabloid, but not to that extent. There is a a little 'fan letter' thing where readers write in about such and such, there is one by a disappointed Paul fan about what he said in the last TV week interview bagging Home and Away out- she won $100.

Well I thought it was obvious that somebody was lying, seeing as another paper has since quoted Paul has saying that he was very proud of his work on H&A. :unsure::blink:

Archived