Paul O'Brien "I wasn't proud of Home and Away"

Guest charmed60

O'Brien full of gratitude for Summer Bay

Sunday Herald Sun

July 18 2010

Paul O'Brien has come out in support of his former employer, Home and Away, despite being quoted in TV Week bagging the show.

O'Brien spent nearly four years on the soap.

He told TV Week he was not proud of his work.

'As an actor, I was like, 'What am I doing?' I get asked every day, 'When are you going to come back?',' he told the magazine during the week.

'It's never going to happen.'

O'Brien, who has just finished the lead role as murdered cop Rodney Miller in the first Underbelly telemovie, said he was taken out of context and was full of gratitude for Home and Away.

'I loved my experience on Home and Away and loved working on the show,' he said.

'It was a fantastic learning curve.'

The actor moved to Melbourne this year and has set up an acting school in St. Kilda called The Actors Nest.

He has always been a keen teacher.

As for his role in Underbelly: Tell Them Lucifer Was Here, O'Brien was tight lipped, only saying he enjoyed every minute of filming the Channel 9 telemovie this year.

'The fact is it's a true story, so it does have a weight to it,' he said.

'As an actor it does make you enjoy it more.'

So the article WAS taken out of context. I owe Paul O'Brien an apology for coming to the wrong conclusions!

To be totally honest, I don't see how saying:

"But it’s never going to happen [returning]. Ever. If you paid me one million dollars, I’d still say no, because I want to act in stuff that I’m proud of – and, unfortunately, I wasn’t proud of H&A"

Can be taken out of context?

I understand that the media thrives on negativity and sensationalism, but I just don't see how Paul was taken out of context, or could be. He said what he said and it's obvious to see that he's ungrateful despite the context or question that was posed to him.

I think it's easy to say one thing and then to try and back-track by saying "I was taken out of context". So I wouldn't be surprised if it was his agent that urged him to say something positive afterwards just to salvage his image.

He's entitled to his opinion, no matter how stupid it is, but he should at least have the decency to be grateful towards the show that effectively put him on the map and thus provided him the stepping stones to fulfill his passion. Getting a major break through into a show like home and away deserves alot more than what he said.

Shame really. And the sad thing is, it's not as if he's a great actor or is doing that great right now.

I think the point is that he didn't say what TV Week reported him as saying. TV Week made it up.

Taken out of context and actually not saying something are two totally different things. If Paul O Brien didn't say any of the negative things he said, then he would have said so. But all he said was "I was taken out of context".

I doubt ANY magazine (whether the over all reputation of that magazine is good or not) would make up such a thing. It opens up a can of worms and someone like Paul O Brien could sue and easily win a court case putting the future of the magazine at jeopardy. Plus, why would a magazine make up something about a (no offence) D list actor?

Publications make up lies all the time. It is the staple of tabloid journalism. Sometimes they have a vague basis for their lies, other times they come out of thin air. The first defence of defamation is to apologise for it, which costs the publication nothing should the subject kick up a fuss over it, hence it is worth the lies to sell a story.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering that celebrities or anyone that matter being interviewed for a journalist seems to always be taken out of context, and articles always seem to print something else when it"s not when they really said then I think that he may have been well taken out of context of what he said, and besides since when was TV Week the most trustworthy magazine? Hello it has made fake headlines saying Who will Die on Home and Away or who did this when it has nothing to do with it. I remember they even showed a scene where Rachel's house was trashed but we never saw it.

I don't really trust magazines and newspaper 100% on what they say, if I want to know then I would go ask the actual person instead of believing every thing the media tells you.

And even if it was true I don't think it is a big deal, so what Paul doesn't like H&A, he's the guy who wasted five years of his life on it (Was it five?), if he thinks he can do better then go ahead, he's probably one of those men who think that soap operas are too girly for men and even acting in it.

O'Brien full of gratitude for Summer Bay

Sunday Herald Sun

July 18 2010

Paul O'Brien has come out in support of his former employer, Home and Away, despite being quoted in TV Week bagging the show.

O'Brien spent nearly four years on the soap.

He told TV Week he was not proud of his work.

'As an actor, I was like, 'What am I doing?' I get asked every day, 'When are you going to come back?',' he told the magazine during the week.

'It's never going to happen.'

O'Brien, who has just finished the lead role as murdered cop Rodney Miller in the first Underbelly telemovie, said he was taken out of context and was full of gratitude for Home and Away.

'I loved my experience on Home and Away and loved working on the show,' he said.

'It was a fantastic learning curve.'

The actor moved to Melbourne this year and has set up an acting school in St. Kilda called The Actors Nest.

He has always been a keen teacher.

As for his role in Underbelly: Tell Them Lucifer Was Here, O'Brien was tight lipped, only saying he enjoyed every minute of filming the Channel 9 telemovie this year.

'The fact is it's a true story, so it does have a weight to it,' he said.

'As an actor it does make you enjoy it more.'

So the article WAS taken out of context. I owe Paul O'Brien an apology for coming to the wrong conclusions!

To be totally honest, I don't see how saying:

"But it’s never going to happen [returning]. Ever. If you paid me one million dollars, I’d still say no, because I want to act in stuff that I’m proud of – and, unfortunately, I wasn’t proud of H&A"

Can be taken out of context?

I understand that the media thrives on negativity and sensationalism, but I just don't see how Paul was taken out of context, or could be. He said what he said and it's obvious to see that he's ungrateful despite the context or question that was posed to him.

I think it's easy to say one thing and then to try and back-track by saying "I was taken out of context". So I wouldn't be surprised if it was his agent that urged him to say something positive afterwards just to salvage his image.

He's entitled to his opinion, no matter how stupid it is, but he should at least have the decency to be grateful towards the show that effectively put him on the map and thus provided him the stepping stones to fulfill his passion. Getting a major break through into a show like home and away deserves alot more than what he said.

Shame really. And the sad thing is, it's not as if he's a great actor or is doing that great right now.

I think the point is that he didn't say what TV Week reported him as saying. TV Week made it up.

Taken out of context and actually not saying something are two totally different things. If Paul O Brien didn't say any of the negative things he said, then he would have said so. But all he said was "I was taken out of context".

I doubt ANY magazine (whether the over all reputation of that magazine is good or not) would make up such a thing. It opens up a can of worms and someone like Paul O Brien could sue and easily win a court case putting the future of the magazine at jeopardy. Plus, why would a magazine make up something about a (no offence) D list actor?

Publications make up lies all the time. It is the staple of tabloid journalism. Sometimes they have a vague basis for their lies, other times they come out of thin air. The first defence of defamation is to apologise for it, which costs the publication nothing should the subject kick up a fuss over it, hence it is worth the lies to sell a story.

Right. But then why didn't Paul O Brien say that the magazine had lied? Instead he said he was taken out of context. As I've mentioned before, those are two totally different things.

The fact Paul O Brien said he was taken out of context, tells me that what the magazine reports has an element of truth in it.

Considering that celebrities or anyone that matter being interviewed for a journalist seems to always be taken out of context, and articles always seem to print something else when it"s not when they really said then I think that he may have been well taken out of context of what he said, and besides since when was TV Week the most trustworthy magazine? Hello it has made fake headlines saying Who will Die on Home and Away or who did this when it has nothing to do with it. I remember they even showed a scene where Rachel's house was trashed but we never saw it.

I don't really trust magazines and newspaper 100% on what they say, if I want to know then I would go ask the actual person instead of believing every thing the media tells you.

And even if it was true I don't think it is a big deal, so what Paul doesn't like H&A, he's the guy who wasted five years of his life on it (Was it five?), if he thinks he can do better then go ahead, he's probably one of those men who think that soap operas are too girly for men and even acting in it.

But context means the situation you're in. So it doesn't matter what context Paul O Brien was in because he said what he said and context won't make it seem more or less understandable.

I know this analogy (example) is a bit of a stretch, but I could say "I dislike Australians because they have bad manners". Obviously that's a horrible statement to make but then I can easily follow it up and say "I was taken out of context".

The point I'm making is that I just find it silly of him to say "I was taken out of context" when it STILL doesn't diminish what he said prior.

And again, he can think whatever he wants to think but some humbleness of his time on the show would be nice to his fans and the show.

^So you're assuming the words "I was taken out of context" are true too? Again, papers tell lies all the time. What if Paul had said "This is all crap, I loved Home and Away" but was then misquoted. You shouldn't believe everything you read.

I just think everyone needs to get over it and move on, were never really going to know what he said, if it as true and if it wasn't so why keep talking about it, its his life, if he decided to bash the show that made him a name then so be it, but its his career that will end up suffering! Just move on, its old news

I agree with Bec. I am a Paul fan regardless of his comments and whether or not they were taken out of context or not but all this toing and froing about what is true & what isnt is going to drive you mental so why carry on?

^So you're assuming the words "I was taken out of context" are true too? Again, papers tell lies all the time. What if Paul had said "This is all crap, I loved Home and Away" but was then misquoted. You shouldn't believe everything you read.

Well why would the magazine make that up? Pretty pointless to make up a story about Paul dissing the show and then to further make up an excuse/reason for his actions. Where's the sense in that? Especially making up a story about an actor that isn't fulyl established/well known as of yet?

Therefore I choose to believe in things that make sense (and not everything that I read, I have a mind of my own : ) ) And I do believe that he said what he said.

Of course papers tell lies all the time but I highly doubt they'd make something like this up. But that's just my opinion. And I agree with the couple of posters above who said it's pointless going around in circles. I've said my peace.

Archived