Home And Away star caught in drug bust

Guest mbi615

Home and Away star wins drug appeal

March 31, 2010 - 1:24PM

Former soap star Todd Lasance has won his appeal against a 12-month good behaviour bond for possessing cocaine.

In the NSW District Court today, Judge Helen Morgan quashed the bond given to the Home and Away star in Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court in January.

Lasance, who played Aden Jefferies for four years on the long-running Seven Network soap, was charged with possessing 0.36 grams of cocaine following his arrest at a Kings Cross nightclub in December 2009.

The 24-year-old had pleaded guilty, but avoided a conviction and was instead given the bond.

But Judge Morgan heard evidence that Lasance could not apply for a US visa during the duration of a bond, which ordinarily involved a three-month wait.

Before his arrest, the 2009 Silver Logie winner had announced he was quitting Home and Away and heading to the US to have a crack at Hollywood.

Source

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... it's probably not fair that Todd gets away with it because he's a star, while another person would have to watch their step for a year, but... I'm looking at this from the selfish point of view of a fan. I'm glad he got off and can go to the US. I guess the judge was sympathetic to the fact that he has a real opportunity for greatness and it would be a shame to throw it all away over minor drug offense. He is extremely lucky though. I hope he realises that and learns from his mistakes, because I'd much rather hear that he's starring in a new blockbuster, instead of hearing that he's doing time in jail, or worse.

I like Todd Lasance as much as the next fan, but I still think this is really unfair. For anybody else who wasn't a star, jailtime could've been highly probable. But because he was able to say that he wanted to further his career in America, he was let off. This will just make people think that it doesn't matter what you do, if you have any link to fame, you'll get off Scot-free.

Where is the justice?

I am REALLY disappointed in our legal system that we are letting him off because he was being disadvantaged because of the bond in terms of moving to the states. HE DID THE WRONG THING and hence deserves the punishment. One rule for plebs, another for "stars" (and I use that term loosely). The sentence he got was light in the first place compared to normal citizens with the same crime. I find this ridiculous and really disappointing. It frustrates me that our legal system has let us down again. How can we expect them to get the big things right, when they can't even get the little things right.

That's rediculous.If he wasn't a celebrity he would've got a lot worse so Why couldn't he just wear it?Worse yet why did the judge reverse it?

That's right,he's a celebrity and they have a separate set of rules.I hope he doesn't get a logie.Sorry if that's harsh but the fact that he appealed a minor sentence kinda shows me he's not prepared to take any responsibility for doing the wrong thing.I've lost a lot of respect for him to be honest.

Really dissapointing.

I, personally, think his initial 12 month good behaviour bond was quite a fair punishment. And pretty much he got lucky with that. So really he should have just seen out the sentence. That said he's entitled to appeal, and he's not the first guy (famous or otherwise) to appeal a sentence & win.

People are quick to jump on the fact that he's famous & that must be the reason that he got 'let off'. Lots of offenders (even for such minor sentences) win appeals and they are neither famous or advantaged by an apparent seperate set of rules, yet have still 'gotten away with it'. They all present a case and a judge will take all reasoning in to account when reviewing the appeal. We just don't hear about it. Yes, the court dealings are made public but your average 'normal' person won't make news with it, especially for something so minor.

Just because he appealed a sentence & won doesn't automatically mean he thinks he's better than everyone & is not taking responsibility for his actions.

Unfortunately this is the legal system for you these days, there really isn't much justice in the world.

I completely agree with what everyone is saying about him getting off lightly because of his celebrity status, but if anything the judge should have pushed the harshest sentence on him due to the high profile of the case to set an example and spread a message - celebrity or not it's just not acceptable!

Well... it's probably not fair that Todd gets away with it because he's a star, while another person would have to watch their step for a year, but...I'm looking at this from the selfish point of view of a fan. I'm glad he got off and can go to the US. I guess the judge was sympathetic to the fact that he has a real opportunity for greatness andit would be a shame to throw it all away over minor drug offense. He is extremely lucky though. I hope he realises that and learns from his mistakes, because I'd much rather hear that he's starring in a new blockbuster, instead of hearing that he's doing time in jail, or worse.

Pfft...he doesn't deserve to make it in the US. That judge should be ashamed of themselves, celebrities get away with murder. Where is the justice?

Archived