Home And Away star caught in drug bust

Guest mbi615

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, people really seem to have run with the brick layer thing.I'm quite proud of that.

Anyway, trying very hard to not make sweeping moral judgements here:What Todd did was obviously legal(the appeal, that is, not the drug possession).Whether it was morally right, whether the judge was right to grant his request, whether the law's unfair on this issue...We've all got our opinion and that's by the by.As I alluded to in my original post, we may not be getting the full story here:It may be that the media have jumped on the "he wants to be big in the movies" angle, there was actually more to his case than that and the judge had a completely different reason for overturning the sentence.

With that out of the way, I just wanted to respond to a few points that people have raised.Someone suggested that if our hypothetical brick layer had work lined up in the US, a judge might let him off his sentence in order to pursue it.Whether that's true or not, Todd doesn't have any work lined up, he's just chancing his arm, so the comparison falls down.Someone suggested that he needs to go now to capitalise on his fame from Home and Away.To put it blunty...he hasn't got any.Home and Away and Todd Lasance are pretty much completely unknown in the USA, the show isn't broadcast over there. When he goes, be it this year or next year, he'll just be an unknown new talent.More than one person suggested that the adverse publicity should be punishment enough.Which just about sums up the "one rule for celebrities, one rule for anyone else" attitude.Our hypothetical bricklayer doesn't get any publicity and instead gets a legal punishment which is going to affect the rest of his life.A celebrity gets his picture in a few tabloids, feels embarrassed for a bit, then they move on to the next scandal and he gets to escape unpunished because his punishment was deemed inconvenient for him.

Just wondering (Im not australian) is it normal for people to be arrested and prosecuted for possession of small quantities of drugs? what I mean is over here (ireland) generally if the person has never been known by the police to be involved in anything illegal in the past and behaves themselves (ie are remorseful) when it is discovered and it is only enough for personal use (i.e. not supply) then quite often they are given a stern warning and slap on the wrist (at least that is the case with lesser classes of drugs anyway) the reason being the paperwork involved is so detailed and the police are overworked as it is (seriously jurisdiction areas in rural areas can be massive) . usually the fright the person gets having been caught is enough to stop them taking the chance again. (have known a few people in the past that have had the s*it scared out of them when caught with small quantities of drugs but eventually were not arrested. Not one of them has ever chanced being in possession publicly again) I should add I don't do drugs but am of the whatever you do in your own home is your own business camp. Cant help but wonder if the arresting officer in this case has had any recent promotions......

^Depends on the officers discretion I guess. For the majority of what I've been told a warning is actually the case but I think the issue with this was that it happened on the weekend of a nation wide drug and alcohol blitz. They would have gone hard on anyone they caught and catching out someone with a bit of celebrity, the media pounced and used him as the poster boy

Well if he knew there was a major operation on that weekend he is a complete moron (assuming the Aussie police are as good at keeping secrets as the Irish boys are :P ) My only experience of the Australian Guards was a few years ago when we witnessed the arrest of a carjacker in Wynnum, BNE hilarious now when I think back on it but we were s*itting ourselves at the time. Irish police dont carry guns or shout at us to get their bag (containing handcuffs) out of the holden. lucky we had a local present cos we were too dumbstruck to react.

Not gonna comment too much on the race issue but did notice last time we were in Australia with our baby girl that as a young white family I have never been treated so well - bring on positive discrimination. try taking a baby through a shopping centre or airport in Europe...nightmare.

Anyway he is a lucky guy for getting it overturned. Hope he does well in the US. He is prob one of the best actors I have seen come through the soap been watching since the pilot (yeah Im old) best of luck to him.

Archived