Fanfic Recommendations?

Guest doola

I have a question regarding the fan fiction forum. I don't venture in there too often, so apologies if this has been addressed already somewhere else. I find when I do make an occasional visit to the forum I usually spend a lot of time looking around but never really end up reading anything

Is it possible maybe to have a recommendations topic or subforum, where there could be threads for the most popular ships (JnM, Adelle, Charlie/Joey, etc), and then fanfic readers could actually recommend the best fanfics to read?

The sheer volume of stories in there is overwhelming, so if I could just know a story comes highly recommended before I start it would be an awesome addition!

(I'm pretty impatient I guess and just wanna get to the good stuff! :D )

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's fanfic recommendations in in our magazine. Not a lot of them though. Personally I'd be a little afraid that a recommendation thread would turn into a popularity contest with just friends helping each other out to get more readers and returning the favor. Other than that though, I think it's a great idea in theory, and I'd definitely be willing to give it a chance! :)

Yea, I would pretty much have to agree with you there that bumping friends fanfics would almost be certain to happen.

Just another thought...would something like a poll vote be easy to implement. If every completed fanfic had an option for readers to give a rating (1 to 5 stars or something), and everyone could only vote once (like in the current polls), then I would guess that the better fanfics would become apparent. (I would hope so anyway.)

Maybe you could have a permanent thread in the "What Do You Think?" section? Anyone who was looking for a particular story type or characters could post "Can anyone recommend any funny fics? Doesn't matter if they're finished or not" or "Can anyone recommend a completed fic about Aden and Belle?"

Then people could post replies and the person who posted the original question could go check them out for themselves. :)

I think this is a good idea, because the amount of fics can be a little off putting. :P I'd like to know which are the best at a glance. I honestly don't come on here much, but I know when I do I like to have a quick browse on the fanfic section. (It was my home :P) I think I can remember someone saying something about reviews on fics for the bttb magazine? Well maybe this would be a good way. If there was a recommendation thread where someone said "if you like guns and Adelle - go check out *title*, there's a really good paragraph in the first chapter that makes me feet tingle AND it's another fic from *name* again! :D" you could maybe use that to harrass someone about writing a review.. or you could use that as a mini review! The more that a fic gets those kind of constructive reviews, the more chance it will appear in the bttb magazine? Just a thought. I don't really know how the bttb magazine works... so that might be totally wrong. :P But I'd sure love to write a little bit about the fics I used to love. :P

• 3 weeks later...

I know what you mean about the sheer number of fics. I look around but don't know what to choose.

I recommend three fics I've read about Drew and Belle: In Memorium [by Jen]; Hello Stranger [by Lise]. The other one is called The Awkward Reunion [by wrongturntaken] about what happened when Drew, Lucas, Matilda etc. came back to the bay and found Belle was going out with.... Aden :o.

Another two I recommend are Red Ranger's Crossover and Alternates. They are sci fi / fantasy stories about alternate universes i.e. what would happen if certain characters had made different choices with their lives?

I recommend; And Just Like That - Everything Changes by KirstyEkua. It's beautifully written and is working progress but it basically tells the story of Tony and Rachel coping after Jack's death and other circumstances that try to come between them and is also intertwined with Martha's feelings of loneliness after losing Jack and Leah being reminded of Dan's death and learning to cope as a single Mum again. Kim's also recently come back into the story to spice things up. Kirsty's an incredible writer so I really recommend this to anyone whose interested in reading emotional, honest, descriptive fics!

Archived