Rachel Armstrong - Amy Mathews

Foxy

Words cannot express how much I loved Rachel when she first arrived. She was fresh, she was was fun, she was amibitious and to top it all off she was played by a very talented actress in the form of Amy Matthews. I'm not really sure where it all went wrong. Whilst I would classify myself as "empassioned hater" I do very much find myself despairing at where the writers have taken her - some of the things she says and done now and very much not inkeeping with who the character was when she first arrived - I do believe that Rachel is still in there though, I just hope the writers find a way to bring her to the surface again, and soon! For starters, there's so much more scope for exploring her family history - has anyone ever linked this to her desire for a child? Because if not I think they should as it seems pretty obvious to me.....

Any thoughts?

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER

Personally I also love Rachel, and I think that Amy does an outstanding job at playiing her. I know that shes not as fun and care free as she used to be, but shes still a fantastic friend and Fiancee. Shes always the one whos there to listen, and offer fantastic advice.

Maybe now that she is pregnant she will go back to her old happy self :)

I love Rachel... yeah she can be extremely whiny at times... but to be honest all the characters can be whiny at times, and some of them you just don't understand why they're so whiny. Rachel I can sympathise with sometimes, because she's empty inside from the longing of wanting a child, you could see it broke her heart when it turned out Kim was the father of Kit's baby, especially as she wanted her own with him anyway. I had hoped they could work through it all, but I'm quite glad now that they havent, as Rachel and Tony are soo cute together. I'm so happy that they've finally found happiness, and by the looks of what is coming up, they will be very happy for a while at least.

And i cannot wait to see her character evolve around this story line coming up, hopefully they writers will let a couple be happy for once

I love Rachel... yeah she can be extremely whiny at times... but to be honest all the characters can be whiny at times, and some of them you just don't understand why they're so whiny. Rachel I can sympathise with sometimes, because she's empty inside from the longing of wanting a child, you could see it broke her heart when it turned out Kim was the father of Kit's baby, especially as she wanted her own with him anyway. I had hoped they could work through it all, but I'm quite glad now that they havent, as Rachel and Tony are soo cute together. I'm so happy that they've finally found happiness, and by the looks of what is coming up, they will be very happy for a while at least.

And i cannot wait to see her character evolve around this story line coming up, hopefully they writers will let a couple be happy for once

everyone is whiny at some point :P just the way it is , but i completely agree with you that rachel was broken when kim had archie with kit , but now she has found someone who she is happy with

I don't think her desire to have a child is any stronger than any other woman whose in her situation. It's natural to want a family with the man you love and want to be with forever, and sure some woman want kids a lot more than others (like Rachel) but i really don't think her family history has anything to do with this.

I love Rachel simply because she's not perfect all the time. She's human, she makes mistakes, says and does things she shouldn't but she always does the right thing in the end. Like the situation with Aden. At first she was angry at him for what he did to her, and i find that completely understandable. But after seeing him she changed her statement and got him help like he deserved. Sometimes i think she tries too hard to do the right thing, and that can come across the wrong way. But she has a huge heart, and deep down i feel she just wants a man to love her and be there to support her. I also love that they have an ambitious career woman on the show, it's great. Her career is obviously really important to her and maybe they'll have some kind of conflict with that and her family life.

I loved her fun and care-free attitude at first too, but people grow and change and it was natural for her to start wanting different things in life. I think Amy is one of the best actresses on the show and does an amazing job with Rachel, which is why i think she's been allowed to show her on so many different levels.

I hope now that Rachel is pregnant, she can have some fun again and just be happy for a while.

Yes but the problem is, she's whinier than most...and most of the time.

Since almost Rachel's first day on the show I loved her and I loved her and Kim as a couple and then suddenly it all just went wrong. I still find myself being loyal to her so I usually don't go in for the real hating. But if I was someone that started watching around the middle of 2007, I think I'd probably be in that camp.

I don't understand the transformation, she was an extremely popular character, as proved by her Logie win, and the writers have made her into an almost unrecognisable person. I really hope they find a way to bring her back to normal. And give her something else to do other than babies.

I always thought that the reason for the change was Kim leaving her, never underestimate the power of a broken heart! And that a part of her is still in love with him, deep deep down. But I think that's just me trying to keep the love alive. And I'm not sure the Tachel fans would appreciate my theory. :P

To be honest i don't find her whiny most of the time. Sure she does go off sometimes, but that's just normal, and when you're not having the best time of it, well you're going to have a bit of a moan. I still think her heart is in the right place and she's just trying to do the right thing.

I didn't see much of Rachel when she first appeared because of travelling, so i really just started to watch it with her when she was dating Kim. And, i actually think i like her more now. She just seemed to nice back then, always doing the right thing and stuff. I think Kim did break her heart, and it would be silly if she didn't have some sort of reaction to that. Now she is more like a normal person and i find her reactions to situations completely understandable.

But i am a Tachel fan, and really hope Rachel will be able to have some fun in the coming months.

No that is a very plausible theory, she possibly did change because she was nursing a broken heart. I mean look at her a while back, she was grieving, and she started drinking heavily, I feel that was portrayed really well and gave a new insight into the character.

But she has calmed down a lot recently, and I feel that falling back in love, finding Tony, has done that to her.

Personally she appeared to have so much promise during 2006 and now I just find her so mediocre. It reminds me of normal day in Scotland - sunny, but then the cloud comes in and we get drizzle. Actually, that's not quite true, it drizzles all day in Scotland.

There is strong storylining potential there and perhaps it's the intital gleem naturally wearing off, but, ah, well.