USA - Election 2008

Guest Eli

I'm willing to bet that John McCain would have to admit that he regretted making Palin VP if he ever was to take a polygraph test. I thought she seemed like a good choice at first, but the woman's just been a scandal from day one. Like others have said, she can't seem to answer even a single question. It's just a little bit too tragic when it comes to the point where comedians are no longer writing parody scripts, but instead just sit there and quote the person they're parodying (that's not a word, is it?)

Ah, the land of the free and the home of the brave... Well, there's only one problem with that sunshine of a motto; Americans don't agree on what it means to be free and what it means to be brave.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m assuming that most people would have heard about the plot to kill Obama.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081028/wl_af...te_081028093448

This is quite worrying to the point where I have to agree with somebody who posted previously. If it’s going to be like this then it would probably be better if he doesn’t win. The only thing is if McCain wins, as I said before should anything happen to him then we don’t know what Palin could be like as president. The ramifications of this suggest a lot more people could be affected than Obama getting killed.

Best case scenario if McCain does win is that he finds some excuse to sack her or move her to another position.

I was actually thinking that earlier when i was talking to my cousin about the assassination plots Obama. If they are going to kill him, i rather him not be President. But like Obama say in his campaigns, a better country a better world, or something to that affect. We need him. Not only Americans, but the rest of the world need him to be President. Gosh, i hate stupid racist jerks :angry:

OBAMA '08!!

Well, I kind of agree in one way. But then again, the whole thing is sort of blown out of proportion by the media if you ask me. I'm not saying it's not very serious, because it, but the media makes it sound like they were inches away from succeeding to kill Obama. Yes, they had a plan and all, but also, they were planning to kill more than 100 people before they sort of made a grand finale by killing Obama. We can't really say we're surprised that there are some crazy, nazi inspired, racist maniacs out there, we already knew that, and the fact that they caught them now only means that the police got two dangerous people off thr street before they started killing people. Extremists exist on both sides, and I'm sure there as more people who are plotting to kill Obama, just like there probably are people out there with a loaded gun and a plan to shoot Sarah Palin og John McCain. My point is that it really wasn't as close as the media can make it seem, and if Obama was to step down just because what we already knew was confirmed: there are people racist and crazy enough to kill a politician of colour, that would only be backing down for the fear. A fear that in this case we probably should take into consideration before it's confirmed. These people exist whether they're caught and the media writes about them or not, and I think we all know it.

There are a bunch of crazy people out there, but the media making that a big shocking scandal when it's not only makes things worse if you ask me, because then people are afraid to vote for a president because they think he'll get killed. Hasn't there been assassination plots for every single president in history? There's always a risk when you're a political personality. Maybe the risk is a little bigger for Obama, but the security is better as well. This time it just seems like it's a lot more media coverage as well and people are more shaken up about it because it's a question of race, and when it's a question of race it upsets people. If it was reported that someone tried to kill McCain people would automatically think "crazy!" because that seems like a more likely reason than anything else. With Obama we know it was motivated by race, and there's a more clear attitude towards race. You don't kill over race, that's horrible, and that's why it seems to much worse and dangerous, because it's something we're already scared of and worry about.

I don't know if that made any sense at all...

We're getting closer, people... Anyone got any special plans for the election?

I'm getting together with a bunch of my political geek friends around midnight on election night. We're invading my friend's basement and we're going to follow the election by TV and internet from there while we eat American food (we're making doughnuts, muffins, mac'n'cheese, milkshake and starbucks coffee) and genereally have fun. Some of us will probably be blogging the highlights as we sit through the first results coming in between midnight CET before we're going to school later that morning. And we'll probably follow the election during the day as well... I know my two English classes that day are already being set to focus on the election :P

We're getting closer, people... Anyone got any special plans for the election?

I'm getting together with a bunch of my political geek friends around midnight on election night. We're invading my friend's basement and we're going to follow the election by TV and internet from there while we eat American food (we're making doughnuts, muffins, mac'n'cheese, milkshake and starbucks coffee) and genereally have fun. Some of us will probably be blogging the highlights as we sit through the first results coming in between midnight CET before we're going to school later that morning. And we'll probably follow the election during the day as well... I know my two English classes that day are already being set to focus on the election :P

I didn't know this thread existed until right now.

I am genuinely surprised with the amount of dedication [is that the word I'm looking for?] that you guys give to these elections. I know back at home, for us as teens, we are taught politics, and when the elections draw near, we focus on them, but we were never allowed to say which party/candidate we support to remain unbiased. I've been following the election process and everything to do with it by TV and internet for a while now, and I have to say that seeing Obama in the White House would be a great achievement, not only for him, but for our country as a whole. 7, almost 8, years ago, when Bush came into the office, I know for a fact that no-one could have predicted for him to be followed by a possible female or a coloured President.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents from my point of view on this. :D

I agree. Especially with a running mate like Palin getting into the White House. I can just see her working her way up from there. And then we're in trouble. I'm sorry but her views are too old fashioned for me, not to mention that she cannot stick to the matter at hand. I don't know if I read this here, or somewhere else, but someone said how she can't answer one question straight, and I've got to agree with that 100%.

I was slightly disappointed with the fact that Obama didn't choose Hilary Clinton as a running mate. I think they could have done a whole lot of good in the space of 4 years, and then if they were re-elected, that would have been awesome. I can see Obama begin to change the world. Or at least, the US.

Archived