USA - Election 2008

Guest Eli

I agree that those who have a lot of money would want to keep it that way, and I understand why a lot of them would choose to vote Republican. However, a lot of those who vote Republican aren't particularly wealthy. Actually they are the opposite. Most Republican voters in typical Republican areas such as Alabama, Kansas and Oklahoma aren't wealthy; they are people with very little money. So it has to do with a lot more than money, because yes, it does make sense that those with a lot of money would vote Republican. When those who are the opposite still vote Republican you gotta look for other reasons, and that's where history and religion comes into the picture. In the rural parts of any country it will be more important to stick together. While someone in a big city will be more likely to have to adapt to changes and learn to accept a progressive world, those in a smaller community will need to find a way to survive. And that's where the American dream become important; it's a way up. For those it works for. And in a smaller community, religion become a lot more important as a tool to keep the community united, to create something common to gather around. I'll use an example from my own situation. I come from a small village, but I live between the village and a medium sized city. Even people in that city (which is pretty small) don't get the thing about going to Church on Christmas Eve, and when I talk to people from bigger cities they are shocked to hear that I do, since I'm not Christian at all. They don't get it at all. But when you belong to a small community, the Church become one thing everyone gathers around. On Christmas Eve you can give up getting a seat in that church, and I doubt that 90 % of those people really consider themselves practising Christians.

If you don't have a lot of capital in America, and don't have a particular super talent, you very little hope of going to one of the prestigeous schools. But it happens for a few, lucky people. It's the underdog that keeps the American dream alive, the underdog that makes it out and into the world. And that's who a lot of people dream of being.

I understand what you're saying but there are many parallels between that sort of "American dream" and the lottery. With the lottery everyone believes that they can win but the reality is that only a very small proportion ever do. The rest keep putting in money which they can ill afford at times without any return. The big danger is that some of the people will realise that they are being "conned". If they really believe that the political system never really delivers for them they will lose faith in it. At that point you have the seeds of revolution and/or terrorism. Here I'm not talking about isolated acts from fringe groups like at Oklahoma City. If a large enough part of the general population loses faith in the system you can get a situation like the people's revolution that ousted Marcos in the Philipines.

America is still a long way from there but it is a constant danger particularly with the high distribution of weapons in the community.

It is interesting that the American Bill of Rights ( I think ) speaks of the pursuit of happiness rather than any Government responsibility to deliver it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight on the Channel 4 news in the UK they interviewed an American woman who said that she was not voting for Obama because, and I quote, "when the German's voted for change they got Hitler"....

It's impossible to understand the ignorance and narrow-mindedness of such a statement and makes me realise just what Obama is up against in the US - I really hope he pulls it off.

I'd vote for McCain because I'm racist.

:P

Is that meant to be a joke or something?

I’m SURE it was a joke but to be honest I didn’t find it very funny.

Perhaps I’m missing something…

If I know Ryan, I'd say he was pointing out that voting for a black man, simply because he's black, would be as stupid and racist as voting for a white man simply because he's white. IF I know Ryan.

It is interesting that the American Bill of Rights ( I think ) speaks of the pursuit of happiness rather than any Government responsibility to deliver it.

From Starship Troopers:

"Sir? How about ‘life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?"

"Ah, yes, the ‘unalienable rights.’ Each year {in class} someone quotes that magnificent poetry. Life? What ‘right to life’ has a man who is drowning in the Pacific? The ocean will not hearken to his cries. What ‘right’ to life has a man who must die if he is to save his children? If he chooses to save his own life, does he do so as a matter of ‘right’? If two men are starving and cannibalism is the only alternative to death, which man’s right is ‘unalienable’? And is it ‘right’? As to liberty, the heroes who signed the great document pledged themselves to buy liberty with their lives. Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes. Of all the so-called natural human rights that have ever been invented, liberty is least likely to be cheap and is never free of cost. The third ‘right’? --- the ‘pursuit of happiness’? It is indeed unalienable, but it is not a right; it is simply a universal condition which tyrants cannot take away nor patriots restore. Cast me into a dungeon, burn me at the stake, crown me king of kings, I can ‘pursue happiness’ as long as my brain lives --- but neither gods nor saints, wise men nor subtle drugs, can insure that I will catch it."

Good News Week had an amusing story last night, saying that Obama has been linked with terrorism in the same breath as condemning him for supporting abortion, same sex marriage and tougher gun laws. The host of the show, Paul McDermott, said: "Yes. Because if there are three things that the terrorists stand for, it's abortion, homosexuality, and gun control..." There was also something about Obama wearing a turban "because his brain hurts from all that fancy thinkin'" :P

I like Obama. I really hope he survives this.

Archived