USA - Election 2008

Guest Eli

Well, the nomination elections are over, so are the Democratic and Republican national conventions, and we know now who the candidated for presidency and vice presidency are. Anyone else following the election?

Who are you supporting? And why? And what do you think the outcome of the election will be?

Personally I support Barack Obama. I think he's the best candidate, and I think he has the best and most realistic politics. I was pretty sure up until recently that Obama would be the next president, even though his opponant probably is the toughest opponant he could have gotten of all the Republican candidates, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be harder now that McCain has chosen Sarah Palin as his vice president.

I actually kind of like Palin in a way. I don't agree that much with her politics, but I think both her and McCain are strong candidates, and I'm even gonna go as far as saying I'm not directly opposing the idea of a Obama/Palin combination in the Oval office. I mean, her first week and all People and Us Magazine are writing about is all the "scandals" they are rolling up around her, and still she manages to become the big talk, without it being all bad. Like I said I don't agree with her on a lot of things, but I can't argue that she's a brilliant politician!

I'm not directly supporting Palin though, I have nothing against Joe Biden or anything, so the VP is not that important to me. Actually I think all the candidates this year are really strong candidates, and I think that no matter who's elected it's not gonna be the disaster it has been for the past two terms in The White House. That being said though...

Obama for President '08! Change we can believe in!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obama!!! :D

From what I've seen and read, he is an excellent candidate. I'd like to see him win because of his views and the fact that he is a Democrat. Other Democratic Presidents like Kennedy and Clinton were excellent and I know Obama will be too.

I don't agree with anything Palin says or does, and I don't like her in the slightest as I think she can be very sneaky, but I guess that's just a pure Republican. She is a good politician, though. And she's got balls. But I feel very sorry for the boy who got Palin's daughter pregnant. I'm not feeling sorry for the fact that he will be a father at a very young age, but the fact that he will now have to marry the Vice President's daughter... and even the President's daughter because McCain is going to check-out in a few years, then wham! Palin is president... and that boy's life is doomed. I bet he wasn't expecting this when he was, em, having a good time... :rolleyes: I hope the daughter gets all the support she needs because she also is quite young. Oh, would the 'bible states' vote for McCain now that his sidekick's daughter is 17 and pregnant...and NOT married? Are the mother-to-be and father-to-be now going to hell? :rolleyes:

Anyway. Obama for me. I really hope he gets it. I really do. :D

I'm undecided. There's things I love about each candidates, and things I strongly oppose from each.

I usually tend to lean towards a Democrat, as I feel they are more focused on the environment, which is a big issue to me. Obama doesn't displease me in that area. :) Security is also an issue for me, and I don't believe I'd trust him here.

"...Obama made it clear long ago in one of his few clear statements on the war that he does not oppose all wars and in fact supports "smart" ones. Iraq is thus not a criminal war, a war of aggression, but merely a "dumb" war. Presumably the war in Afghanistan that Obama so loves is to be a "smart" war. When you come right down to it, how different is Obama’s position that the war is not "smart" from McCain’s that, until the surge, the war was not "smartly" waged? I would say that the difference is less than a dime.

The letter is also frankly dishonest when it says that Obama is simply moving to a more "centrist stance" In what sense "centrist"? The war is wildly unpopular and close to 70% of Americans want the U.S. out of Iraq asap. What is "centrist" about moving away from a landslide majoritarian position? And what is the "peace" candidate doing when he calls for 100,000 more active duty army and marines, when he calls for more military spending, when he calls for stepping up the war on Afghanistan, when he talks belligerently about Iran, and when he equivocates on how many tens of thousands of troops are to be left in Iraq? All these are positions that the "peace" candidate took during the primary. They are not new."

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/walsh5.html

I also disagree with him about his immigration policy. All in all, those are my two major issues with Obama. Anything other issues I generally lean more towards his view than McCain's.

Part of me wants to see America take a chance with Obama, part of me thinks it's best to go with McCain...we'll wait and see.

• 1 month later...

What's happening to America ?! I just checked the latest update from Electoral-vote.com, and it's looking GOOD! I came back from London, surprised to see that most of the battleground states were now either barely or weak Democrat and most of the traditionally weak Democrat states were now strong Democrat. Nothing shocked me more than North Dakota though. Even if they only have 3 Electoral votes I was seriously shocked when I saw that tiny ND, which pretty much always has been a STRONG GOP state now suddenly is a battleground state! There's actually a tie in North Dakota! Even though WV has gone GOP again and Florida had a quick bounce from barely Dem. to tie before it went back to barely Dem. today, it's looking really good for Obama! And to make things even more shocking: MONTANA has gone North Dakota! Montana, another traditionally strong GOP state is now tied, and with its neighbour North Dakota they're now the only tied states. It's only a total of 6 Electoral Votes, so it's really more entertaining and shicking than important for the outcome, but still, great news!

Anyone got any election related links? Blogs, news, humor, whatever. I have a bunch if anyone's interested, but I'm always looking for more!

:)

ETA: And I just realized; now South Dakota has gone from Strong GOP to Weak GOP as well! :huh:

Eli, I've been tracking the whole thing from this

Obama has more or less won. Hopefully. :P

When are the results announced? Is it the same day? I remember back in 2004, Fox News had live results from each state but I can't remember if it was the same day or if it was the day after. What ever day it is, I have to get the popcorn out for it!

Well it depends, but most likely I think we'll know it earlier this year than last time. Last time it was very close and they had to re-count in many battleground states. I don't think it will be that close this year to be honest. Counting states like ND, MT, FL, NC, NV, CO and OH has to be done very thoroughly because they're all battleground states, but at the same time there are fewer "weak", "barely" and "tie" states this year. We have new battleground states, but a lot of the old battleground states have gone Dem., some of them even Strong Dem.

I don't think we'll get all the results the first day, but I think we will get enough results to know the outcome much earlier this year because the battleground states won't have enough Electoral Votes to turn the result around. But that's just what I predict, and I'm no expert.

Most big TV stations have live reports on results from all the states. I know last election both TV2 and NRK1 here sent a mix of live broadcasts from CNN (and FOX News I think) and their own reports on it. I think they send the CNN broadcasts at night and then they expand their regular news reports with it in the morning. But it has probably changed this year, during the last four years we've finally got TV stations entirely dedicated to news 24/7 here in Norway as well (unfortunately I don't have any of them).

I'll be getting up extremely early to follow the election on TV and through live streaming from American networks online, and during the day I'll probably bring my laptop to school so I can follow the situation minute for minute without spending a billion on using the internet on my cell :P Yes, I'm a geek :P

For poll updates I use http://electoral-vote.com/ and for news I recommend http://www.drudgereport.com and http://www.huffingtonpost.com

Archived