Beauty In The Breakdown

Guest whispered_envy

I am loving your new fic but I am so happy you came back to this one.

You write them being heartbroken and sad so well that I just can't get enough of the angst in this fic.

> Why are you making me love them being apart so much? I should not be feeling this way about my favourite couple.

I loved Belle being so honest about why they can't be together even if it hurt Aden's feelings. I think he needed to hear it to finally understand why they need to be apart (right now anyway).

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You asked for it, you got it! :P Here's the next chapter- bit of a fluffy chapter, but I think it was about time I wrote one.

Chapter Six:

Aden had stormed through the front door, heading straight up the stairs and ignoring Nicole’s questions from the couch. As his bedroom door slammed shut, Nicole turned to Roman, who was trailing in after him.

“So what happened?”

Roman sighed, sitting next to his daughter. “I wish I knew, Nic. When we got there, he ran off into the hospital, and by the time I managed to find him, he was demanding to leave again. He didn’t speak a single word on the way home.”

“I bet they had a huge fight.” Nicole’s eyes glinted evilly.

“Nicole,” Roman warned. “Don’t go messing with Aden. I think that’s the last thing he needs right now. He’s had quite a shock tonight, and he needs people to be there for him. I was hoping you’d be one of those people.”

Nicole fell silent at her dad’s words. She liked to give Aden crap, but perhaps finding out that your brother had tried to kill your ex that you still loved meant that this was probably not the right time. “Okay, okay. I’ll be good.”

“Thankyou.” As Roman went to call Charlie, Nicole decided that she’d have a go at talking to Aden.

“Aden? It’s your favourite housemate!” She called, tapping lightly on his door.

“Go away, Princess.” Aden called back shortly.

“Aww, c’mon! Let me in!”

“I’m not in the mood for talking.”

“Well, if you don’t let me in, I’ll just have to talk to you through the door! And I can go on and on about clothes and makeup and hot guys and shoes and-” Nicole stopped, as she heard the door unlock. She grinned as Aden opened the door, frowning. She flounced in. “I knew you wouldn’t be able to resist me!”

“What can I say?” Aden said sarcastically. “You’re one of a kind.”

“Now, come sit down, and tell Auntie Nicole all about it.” She pulled Aden onto the bed.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Came the predictable response.

“Look, I know you’re all upset over Belle and what your brother did to her-”

Nicole was cut off by an angry Aden. “Shut up! You don’t even know what you’re talking about!”

“Well, can you please explain it to me, so I can actually understand what’s going on in that head of yours?” Nicole shot back, equally as frustrated.

“I can’t explain it to you. It’s more complicated than you’ll ever understand!”

Nicole quietened. “I know we’ve had our differences, but I’ve always tried to be there for you, and right now, I’m very worried about you. Roman is too.”

“Why do you care?” The words tumbled out of Aden’s mouth before he could stop them.

“Because, like it or not, you’ve pretty much become part of our family. And family members look out for one another.”

Aden frowned. “Not mine. Mine never have! Not my brother, not my dad- not anyone! So I don’t expect any charity from you guys, okay?”

“Fine. If you’re going to be like that, I’ll tell you how it is. No, you’re not biologically part of our family, and yes, your biological family has let you down. But my definition of a family is a group of people who care for one another and love one another because they want to, not because they feel they have to, and if that group of people happens to be us, then we may as well be your real family.”

Aden was shocked. Never had he heard such mature words come out of Nicole’s mouth before. “Umm, hello? Is that the real Nicole in there? Or are you an alien that looks remarkably like her?”

She gave him a withering look. “Aden, you can be such an ass sometime!”

“And you can be such a princess!” He taunted.

“Just because I happen to like expensive clothes that make me look hot, does not make me a princess!” Nicole protested.

“And just because I’m ridiculously good looking and get all the girls I want, does not make me an ass!” He grinned.

“You wish!” She gave him a playful punch. “You never had me!”

“You were too busy chasing after Bible Boy to realise the hotness you had right under your own roof!”

“Bible Boy is way hotter than you!”

“He’s got nothing on me!”

They laughed at each other’s taunts. It was good to laugh- Aden hadn’t had a proper laugh in a long time. He wasn’t expecting to have such a great time with Nicole, but it was weird how you could see one person one moment and see them differently the next. “Thankyou.” He said quietly.

“What for?”

“For making me laugh again.”

Nicole smiled. “Honestly, I’m glad to see you smiling again!”

Aden knew that Nicole wasn’t trying to be deceitful, or bitchy. This time, she was telling the truth. “Look, one day I’ll tell you everything, but, I just can’t at the moment...” He trailed off.

“That’s fine. I don’t want to pressure you or anything, I just wanted you to know that I’m here for you. Roman, too.”

“Thanks.”

“In the mean time, can we hang out as friends?”

“We sure can.” They smiled at one another, and for once, Aden was glad that Nicole was around.

Roman, who had finished talking to Charlie, had gone to find Nicole, and had heard the two talking in Aden’s room. He had heard the end of the conversation, and walked away, grinning cheerfully. He was proud of them both, and knew that, whatever else life threw at them, Aden and Nicole would turn out okay in the end.

----

She had told him. The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

So why didn’t it still feel right?

Belle was tossing and turning, going over her earlier conversation with Aden. He had been gutted with her admission- devastation had been written all across his face. But she had to tell him. She didn’t give him a word of a lie- he really did frighten her sometimes, and she didn’t want to be with someone who scared her so much. She wanted a comfortable and safe relationship, like one that she had with Angelo.

But what about all those times where Aden hadn’t scared her- the times when he had been vulnerable and frightened himself, or when he had been so loving and kind towards her? Were those fearsome moments enough to discount their relationship?

No, she told herself firmly, I mustn’t think about those moments. I broke up with him for a reason, and I have to stick to my decision. It’s the way it has to be. Once he’s moved on, he will see that what I did was for the best, and our lives will get firmly back on track. We might even become friends.

Even so, as Belle settled herself down for a long nights sleep, she wasn’t looking forward to seeing him again after she got out of hospital.

It was Summer Bay, and in a small town like that there would be no way she could avoid him forever.

Archived