Beauty In The Breakdown

Guest whispered_envy

Thankyou everyone! I hope you like the next chapter, and don't all hate me for leaving it as a cliffhanger for two weeks! I'm as evil as the olympics. :P

Warnings: A bit of swearing (nothing too crazy), mentions of some violent happenings.

Chapter Four:

“It’s not fair, Irene, I didn’t want to go off at him...but he was pushing me and pushing me, and it made me so angry!” Belle complained, as she leaned against The Diner counter, talking to the flustered woman as she made coffees for the huge group of tourists who had shown up out of nowhere.

“Well, girlie, pushing people is what Aden Jefferies does best! You’ve know I’ve never regarded him highly, but god knows you were willing to give him a chance!”

“Irene, you know that it’s more complicated than that.”

“Yes, and you’ve still never elaborated on what makes that boy so complex!” As Belle remained firmly silent, Irene went on. “Anyway, you did the right thing for you, and that’s the main thing. You took the job at the jewellery store to make things easier, which I think was a good move on your part! I want to you to be happy, and if Angelo makes you happy, then go for it! Angelo does make you happy, doesn’t he?”

“Yeah, he does.” To an extent, Belle added in her mind.

“Good for you, love.” Looking towards the door, Irene smiled. “Speak of the devil! Your date for breakfast just walked in!”

Belle turned around to see Angelo flashing her a wide grin. She went up to him and gave him a hug. “Hello!”

“Good morning!” He replied happily. He went to kiss her on the lips, but at the last second Belle turned her head, and he ended up kissing her on the cheek. Angelo either didn’t realise, or decided not to make a big deal about it, because he went straight on. “Let’s grab a table.”

“Okay.”

They ordered their breakfast from Irene, and chatted about what they got up to last night. Belle was enjoying herself- it was a cheery, polite conversation, but her mind kept wandering off to Aden, and what she had seen in his eyes. Those eyes...those dark, broken eyes...

“Belle?”

“Sorry?”

“I asked you what you were doing for lunch today.”

“Oh, sorry, my mind was somewhere else.”

“Aden?”

Belle was going to deny it, but she knew Angelo probably wouldn’t believe it anyway- he was a cop, he was good at telling when people were lying. She nodded, and she thought she saw a flash of jealousy on his face, but it was gone almost instantly. “I just feel sorry for him, that’s all. I mean, he’s got no-one.”

“What about Roman? And his therapist? And his brother- you said he was hanging around, didn’t you?”

“Yeah, but...it’s complicated.” Belle sighed. Angelo wouldn’t understand.

“Belle...” Angelo grabbed her hand. “You broke up with him for a reason. Don’t go worrying yourself about how he’s coping. It’s not fair on you- it’s time for you both to move on.”

“I know.” She sighed again. “Anyway, lets stop talking about him now. About that lunch date...”

As they departed to start work for the day, Belle found herself in her car, alone with her thoughts. “You broke up with him for a reason” was what Angelo had said.

“Yeah.” She said out loud, as if the announcer on the radio was talking to her. “But what if my reason wasn’t good enough?”

----

Aden liked having Justin around. It was nice to bond with him again- it was good to act relatively normal with at least one member of the family. Roman didn’t mind him staying for a few days, and Nicole being Nicole enjoyed having the new male attention. With Justin around, it helped take his mind off Belle.

There had been a few bad moments, however, where Aden hadn’t been able to help himself. He had seen Belle with her new man, and it had been Angelo. Angelo! Of all the people in the Bay, she had to choose him! A cop! What was she trying to do, completely change herself by going out with a ‘good’ guy? A pretty dull, boring and irritating guy, if you were to ask Aden. Of course, no-one did. So Aden, frustrated and annoyed, went up to the both of them and told Belle, in front of Angelo, what he thought of him. This hadn’t impressed either of them in the slightest. After, Aden admitted that it probably wasn’t the smartest thing to do, but boy did it made him feel better. His therapist was worried that his breakup with Belle was going to send him backwards, but did her best to reassure him that she was always here to talk to, that he would get through this difficult time as he had already got through so much, and was so much stronger than he gave himself credit for.

This was all well and good, but Aden knew everything would be so much easier if Belle had just stayed with him. Everything would have been perfect. But Aden had come to believe that nothing was ever perfect. Far from it.

----

Aden was trying to concentrate on homework in Roman’s lounge room, as Nicole chirped casually on her mobile to a friend in the city, whilst painting her nails, her schoolwork discarded for these more exciting activities. Aden rolled his eyes at her- she was such a princess. Nicole noticed, and responded by poking out her tongue. Grinning, Aden turned back to his History essay.

Justin had left that morning. It was quite sudden, and things felt a little bit strange, but Aden knew it was time for him to leave. It was good to see his brother, but Aden knew that this was no longer Justin’s home. He had buried Summer Bay when he had buried his past.

As Aden typed away, believing that his essay was crap but it was the best he was going to come up with, the phone rang.

“Roman!” Nicole screeched, now off the mobile. Aden winced at her high-pitched tone.

“Why can’t you get it?” Roman yelled from upstairs.

“My nails are wet!”

“Aden?”

“I’m in the middle of a sentence!”

Roman thundered downstairs. “You kids!” He flew in to the kitchen. Picking it up, neither Aden nor Nicole could hear who he was talking to, or what he was talking about, so they continued on with what they were doing. After a minute or so, Aden heard the click of the phone hang up.

“So who was that, Roman?” Nicole asked inquisitively. When she saw his sombre face, she stopped short. “What’s wrong?”

Aden’s head snapped towards Roman.

“Aden, can I speak to you in the kitchen please? Alone?” He added, giving a pointed look towards Nicole.

“Sure.” Seeing how serious he was being, Aden thought it was better just to do as he asked.

When they had their privacy, Aden ventured on. “So what’s up?”

“That was Charlie. She had some pretty shocking news.”

“Roman, what is it?”

“Someone tried to kill Belle tonight.”

Aden reeled back, stunned. “WHAT?”

“They bound and gagged her, and threw her off the Wharf. They were trying to drown her! Luckily Jack was passing and saw the whole thing happen, or Belle would be long gone. He called an ambulance, and she was taken to hospital.”

Aden started to feel physically sick. Why would anybody want to hurt Belle...his Belle? “Is she...is she okay?”

“She’s suffering from shock and a lack of oxygen to her system, but she’ll recover.”

“What type of heartless bastard would do this to her?” Aden whispered, head spinning.

“They know who it is.”

“Who, then? Who was the dirty scumbag that tried to kill Belle?”

“Aden... It was Justin.”

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was Justin, and here I was starting to like him in the last chapter. Hope Aden goes to visit her. I like that Belle is still having second thoughts about breaking up with him. And even Angelo can't take her mind of him. I can almost imagine Aden walking up to them and telling Belle what he thinks of Angelo right in front of him.

OMG what a cliffhanger!!!!!

I too was starting to like Justin and then he goes and does this, Aden is going to be so furious ............I would watch out Justin!!!!!!!

Now I have to wait 2 weeks to see what happens next!!!

Great chapter by the way!!!!!

Archived