Never Let You Go

Guest jack+martha=trooluvv

An update! Finally! Just for the record, this chappie was really hard to write <_<

Chapter 10

Martha looked into the eyes of the police officer, swallowing, feeling nervous.

“What happened between you and Rachel Armstrong last night?” Lara asked, looking straight into Martha’s eyes.

“I…stuff,” she said weakly.

“Martha, that answer isn’t good enough. Rachel is seriously injured, and you wouldn’t confirm that it was an accident last night in the hospital. Tell us what happened.”

Martha gulped. “Can I ask you something first?”

“Go ahead.”

“Is…Rachel okay?”

“Something caused the stitches from the gun wound to re-open, and she’s bleeding badly. The doctors say she’s going to be all right but it could have been much worse. Now what happened?

“Well,” said Martha, deciding that she had to answer the question, “I went over to Rachel’s…that night.”

“Why?” Lara asked sharply.

“To tell her something,” Martha said quietly. “Something about her personal life that she needed to know. Rachel wouldn’t accept the truth, and got really angry at me. She hit me across the face and said something that hurt me a lot, so I hit back. Then she fell to the ground, and I called an ambulance.”

Lara nodded. “Are you sure that is all that happened?”

Martha looked Lara straight in the eye, and clearly and distincly said, “Yes.”

“Okay,” said Lara, shuffling her papers. “You may go now, Martha.”

With a sigh of relief Martha left the police station, heading home.

Sally lounged on the sofa, reading a book. She felt thoroughly depressed. Still, that really wasn’t any different. Cassie was shutting herself up in her caravan, and didn’t want to talk to her anymore. Ric seemed to be brooding as well and spent all his time down at the beach, either jogging, swimming or doing push-ups. He was looking fitter than she’d ever seen him, but very unhappy. Alf was…well, doing something. He spent all his time out of the house. So…as usual…Sally was alone.

A little voice called to her from the kitchen. “Mummy…!” Sally jumped up. How could she have thought that?? There was still Pippa. She rushed into the kitchen and folded Pippa into a hug. Pippa’s muffled voice sounded, “I want some juice please.” Sally got her the juice, and realised that life wasn’t that cr@ppy after all…not when there were Pippas around to comfort you.

Sally got herself some juice as well and sat across from Pippa at the table. “I’m sorry that I haven’t been very fun, lately, Pips.”

“You’ve been fine, Mummy,” said Pippa innocently.

“Well, not really,” sighed Sally.

Pippa sculled her juice and jumped up from the table. “Let’s play teaparties!”

The spark HADN’T gone out of life, after all. Sally giggled as she and Pippa got out the pink flowered teacups and several of Pippa’s teddy bears and dolls (including Mr. Pottington, Ms. Fancyprincess and various other important teddy-bear and doll personalities). Soon they were sitting down, putting on faux English accents and commenting on the weather.

“This tea really is delightful,” said Pippa.

“I quite agree, Lady Pippa,” Sally replied. They were deadly serious, though it was hard for Sally to keep in the little giggles. She remembered when SHE was young, and teaparties with fake posh accents were the highlight of her day, and how it had always hurt her when Carly or Lynne laughed.

“No!” said Pippa in her normal voice. “No, no, my name is Lady Margerito, remember??”

“Oh, I do beg your pardon, Lady Margerito,” Sally replied.

Pippa looked annoyed and sighed. “I wish Miiiiles was here,” she whined

“You really like him, don’t you,” Sally commented, letting her hair fall in her face to hide her cheeks which she hoped weren’t blushing.

“Yes, he’s fun!” Pippa said.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door and a wonderfully familiar voice called out: “Sal?”

“Miles!” Sally said quickly, standing up and suddenly feeling flustered for some reason.

“Hey Sal,” he said, with a funny little smile. “Whoa! Who’s this cannonball?” he said with a grunt as Pippa flung herself onto him. Miles had a natural way with kids of all ages, and Pippa loved him from the minute he agreed to play teaparties with her and be known as Mr. Nutcracker. Pippa grinned up at him.

Miles smiled at Sal over Pippa’s head. “Sally, is it okay if I talk to you alone for a bit?”

She felt her cheeks positively burning. “Um…okay…Pippa hun, can you go up to your room and play with your Barbies for a bit?”

Pippa pouted but ran upstairs.

“So,” said Sally, sitting on the back of the sofa and trying to sound and look casual, “what’s up?”

He looked very serious. “I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings a couple of weeks ago.”

“Well you could have said sorry a while ago instead of letting me feel miserable for ages,” Sally snapped, not feeling angry at all but rather delighted that he was speaking to her.

“I’m sorry for that too,” he said with a quirky little smile. “But there’s something I need to tell you first. It’s…very important.”

“Go ahead,” Sally replied, searching his face for emotion.

“My dad was a – mesed up – man. He…he drank, and he sometimes hurt people in the street. But he was in love with a woman, and she loved him too. They weren’t married but they had children. A boy and a girl. The boy was me. Eventually though his drinking and his violence got too bad and his partner ran away with the girl. This was about…two years later, I think. Later on, my dad wanted to find the girl and the mum, to see her, but he read in a newspaper that the mother, his ex-girlfriend, had died in an accident. He was devastated. He was also sad that she’d found another man, as it said in the newspaper, a man who’d died in the same accident. It said that the two people left a little girl and a boy…but he knew that the man who died wasn’t their father. I’m sorry, am I confusing you?” he asked.

Sally didn’t get why he was telling her this, but she shook her head. “No, please go on.”

“So, with me coming along, he found the people who’d adopted the girl. Their names were Pippa and Tom Fletcher…”

Sally gasped, her mind whirling. “Carly…” she said faintly. “Or Lynne?”

Miles held up a hand. “Please let me finish. Their names were Pippa and Tom Fletcher and they lived in the city. He went to their home but he then found out that they had moved to a place called Summer Bay. He went there, and maybe he found them, maybe he talked to them. I can’t remember. I was only six and I remember just sitting on the beach, while he walked up and down. Finally maybe he decided that this place could give you so much more than a life with him and me…”

“Excuse me did you say “you”?” Sally questioned.

“Yes,” said Miles softly. “That’s right. You were the little girl. Not Carly, not Lynne. It was you.”

“I don’t believe you,” said Sally straight away. She knew she sounded harsh but…it was so impossible. Maybe that was their connection. Maybe they really were…brother and sister.

“Try and remember,” Miles pleaded. “Please, try and remember. Look, here’s something else. My name was Miles Copeland, right? Well, when you were little, all you could manage was…Milco.”

“Milco?” Sally said, looking stunned. This was getting weirder and weirder. “My old imaginary friend?”

“Yeah,” Miles said. “That’s where you got your imaginary friend from. Old, distant memories of me. Please, try and remember Sally!!”

Sally cast her mind back to the foggy years before the Fletchers took her in, trying to remember a little curly-headed boy. Then suddenly…it hit her…

They were little children, only about one and a half. A small boy, with bouncy curls sat in front of the little girl, her mum and dad behind her.

“Go on,” said the mum encouragingly. “Miles Copeland.”

“Miles Copeland,” repeated the man.

“Mi-milco!” cried the little girl.

They all laughed…

“Blow out your candles kids!” said a woman that Sally remembered as her mother. “Two years old, finally!” She cast a look back at the dad. At the same time, Miles and Sally puffed and the candles blew out. They all clapped…

“I…I remember,” Sally gasped. “Our second birthday...Miles! MILES! We’re twins!” she screamed the last two words.

“Oh god,” Miles said and Sally saw that he was crying, she didn’t care, she was crying too. With a huge bear hug Sally finally found herself in Miles’s arms.

“Thank God I found you,” he whispered into her hair. He looked at her, crying into his shirt with happiness. If only I could tell her the other thing, he murmured, as he thought of Belle Taylor.

Next Chapter: Jack’s annoyed at Martha for hurting Rachel. Sam lets slip her part in the club and pole-dancing scene. The whole town’s happy for Sal & Miles.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SNEAK PEEK! For those of you who want it...

Sam glanced around to make sure there was no one listening. “What you saw between me and Roman at the club was NONE of your business, and if you tell Jack I swear I will…”

Martha cut across her. “It was YOU at the club? YOU were the one Roman was kissing?” She stared at Sam in disbelief.

“You…didn’t know?” Sam asked. Suddenly she looked scared.

Martha shook her head. “I knew Roman was involved but I thought it was some random chick…I never thought it of YOU, Sam!”

Sam glared at her, but in her eyes there was fear. “You will not tell ANYONE, Martha. Anyway, it doesn’t matter if you do, because I can just convince Jack that you were lying to get him back.”

Archived