Your First Episode

Guest Guiding_star

anyone remember this?

I have been watching H&A since the year dot. For some reason i only always remember the one episode clearly in my head. This is I think late 80s when there was a shark attack. I have probably made all this up lol but, I vaguely remember the last scene(S) a lad was on the beach fishing with a mate. The mate went off to buy an Ice-cream (or something) as you do. Then, If remember rightly, it cut to the fishing line bobbing up and down in the water quite fast. Then this lad fishing got dragged into/towards the sea as the rest of the fishing line got wrapped round his legs. This lad fishing was calling out to his mate who conveniently (albeit 10 yds away :unsure: ) didn't hear this.

WHat is everyone else first memory of the show?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first episode was the one before Ailsa and Duncan drowned in the lake, which led Ailsa to being in a coma with braindamage or something... Nothing stood out in my first episode, it was the second one which stood out for me :P

Was a good story also. If I'm correct, didn't Ailsa start to go crazy once she got out of the coma?

I only watched regularly during the Mirigini and Kane/Kirsty era but I used to catch the odd episode here and there before that. One I remember is Selina (I remember her name particularly because she seemed a really good actress) drinking from a can of coke, being stung by a wasp or bee and collapsing. That stayed in my mind because the filming was kind of very vivid and I'm sure they cut out all sound too. It was very memorable and haunting. Another brief Selina scene - something about her boyfriend slapped her across her face and she was staring at him in shock.

Another couple of episodes I can recall: a girl who died in a fall from a cliff and later a group of her friends were sitting round a tree to remember her. Oh, and another episode I just remembered - something about a deaf girl dancing on the steps of Summer Bay High and somebody replying in sign language "You feel like you're with friends? We ARE your friends." I remember thinking they picked up how to talk in sign language pretty fast in Summer Bay! :lol:

Not sure which of those episodes came first tho! :unsure:

anyone remember this?

I have been watching H&A since the year dot. For some reason i only always remember the one episode clearly in my head. This is I think late 80s when there was a shark attack. I have probably made all this up lol but, I vaguely remember the last scene(S) a lad was on the beach fishing with a mate. The mate went off to buy an Ice-cream (or something) as you do. Then, If remember rightly, it cut to the fishing line bobbing up and down in the water quite fast. Then this lad fishing got dragged into/towards the sea as the rest of the fishing line got wrapped round his legs. This lad fishing was calling out to his mate who conveniently (albeit 10 yds away :unsure: ) didn't hear this.

WHat is everyone else first memory of the show?

I'm pretty sure my first memory of Home & Away was of a shark or maybe even crocodile attack, but I've never been sure if it really happened or not. I've never heard anybody talking about shark or crocodile attacks in Home & Away before. All I remember about it was somebody being killed in the water and Alf etc were trying to find the shark or whatever it was. I also seem to remember a cave being involved? It was definitely when I was very young but couldn't have been as far back as the 80's because I was only born in '89. I've been watching H&A with my mum since i was about 2 though, so sometime after '91 perhaps?

The only shark attack I know of in H&A history was a surfer called Rory, but this was 1988 in Oz and 89/90 ish in UK.

Pippa in a coma was cos Dodge hit her wasn't it? So that would around 1990 ish.

The girl who fell off the cliff was Stephanie Mboto, Travis' foster daughter from Africa.

I remember the deaf girl, I think a teacher got into trouble because he thought she was only pretending to be deaf and punished her.

The Selina bee sting may have seemed even weirder than intended when seen in the UK as it was most likely edited by ITVs Mr Snipppy, probably for the benefit of epileptic viewers.

Ailsa nearly drowning cos Duncan droppped a tape under her pedal which she tried to retrieve and veered off the road. Twas the start of evil Ailsa who drained away Alf's beer and then convinced him he'd drunk it. When Alf sent Duncan to get fruit and he came back with chocolate she let him keep it and was spoiling Dunc.

My own earliest memories of H&A are probably about the time Sam arrived and was fostered by Bobby. He wet the bed and then ran away because he thought Bobby would hang the soiled sheets up to humilate him as this is what is previous foster mother, Jacqui, had done. I also remember the boat accident and Bobby being washed up on the beach in a coma, being kept alive for a week then being confirmed brain dead and being switched off. I particularly remember the extremely moving scene when Sam was told and broke down. Such a talented young actor, dunno what happened later on!

Aw, Dan, thanks for your comments on the storylines. :) I THINK I remember the deaf girl's teacher but not too sure as I didn't always watch. :unsure: But you reminded me of this teacher anyway (not sure if he's the same one or if I'm getting mixed up) which just reminded me vaguely of another episode I'd forgotten about - anyway he separated the class into "brown eyes" and "blue eyes" and it was something to do with teaching them about when the authorities had this misguided idea of taking Aborigine children away from their parents to be brought up by white families.

Not sure what you mean about "Mr Snippy" but the Selina bee sting episode was certainly very effective.

ETA I think I watched more early episodes than I realised. :P

Archived