Tim Campbell Comes Out

Guest Dan F

Although its been well known in the industry for a long time, Tim Campbell finally ended public speculation today:

The way out for Tim

0,,5795305,00.jpg

CHANNEL 7 star Tim Campbell has publicly come out to announce he is gay.

The former Home and Away actor exclusively told The Advertiser about his sexuality, following rumours he was dating former Australian Idol contestant Anthony Callea. Tim reckons both he and Anthony have each broken up with their partners and for now, are just friends.

"(Anthony and I) are mates – he's had his rough trot, I'm going through a rough trot and I'm really concerned for my (ex) partner," Tim says.

"Part of me will probably always love him because 11 years is a lot to share with each other."

Tim and Anthony became friends after performing together in the musical Rent. It's just one string in the multi-talented actor's bow – he is now in rehearsals to play Johnny O'Keefe in the musical Shout, he has hosted National Bingo Night, and following a successful stint on Dancing with the Stars, is a hot tip to replace Daryl Somers as its host next year.

But more than anything, Tim is hopeful his sexuality won't overshadow his work.

"There's nothing in the way of being ashamed about this (but) the label thing worries me a bit because I don't want my work to be affected," he says.

"If every time I'm written about now it's as `the gay actor' it would bore the hell out of me.

"Coming out at 20 changed me a bit, but at 32, I'm pretty comfortable with who I am and what I'm doing."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a shame, Tim hid this for so many years. People should not have to hide there sexuality. They should be able to be out and proud,about it.Esp in this day and age. I really hope this does not effect Tim's career, As he is such a fantasic person.

Good on you, Tim :) Hiding it for this long must have been hard :( I do believe that he could just have told us, I don't really care whether he's gay or not, I'm still a fan. If his career is affected by this, someone seriously needs to pull their acts together <_< It's 2007 for God's sake! Your sexuality shouldn't affect your career! <_<

I agree, in no way should his career be affected by this. His sexuality doesn't make one bit of difference to the wonderful person or great actor that he is. Its such a shame that he had to hide it all of these years, because at the end of the day its part of him and what makes him the person he is. If people don't accept him because of it then they are not worth bothering about.

Go Tim :)

Good for him. :)

I don't think he'll have any problems. Things have been getting much better for gay people in general over the past few years, but especially for those in the public eye. I remember when Stephen Gately (member of boyband Boyzone) came out, it was seen as a really big deal over here. That must have been about 9 or 10 years ago. But just recently another popular boyband member (Mark from Westlife) announced that he's gay and no one batted an eyelid. There's definitely been progress.

I think it's great that he has decided to go public and come out! Anyways he is an excellent actor and will remain successful regardless of his sexuality!

I'm sure he will still get good acting and presenting work coming his way! :):) At the end of the day an actor's job is to portray any number of different characters as far away or as close to them as can be! Therefore his sexuality is his own private business and affects his acting in no way at all!

Good on him for opening up! I'm sure it's liberating for him now that it is no longer a secret in the public arena aswell! :)

I can't believe that he didn't come out ...to his friends..until 20! But im 19 and still haven't come out to my parents..but my friends was like a 15 thing? i dont think i can be bothered to come out to rentals and i'm sure they know anyway. You're completely right that someone's sexuality shouldn't affect his career..but the thing is it already hasn't really affected the parts he's portrayed...i mean any sexy heterosexual man could play one of the gay's in rent..so i don't think his gayness will affect his career....it hasn't done so far...and his confirmation of being gay shouldn't make any difference. Good on him.

Also..the fact noone thought it was a big deal about Mark from Westlife is that...Westlife had already past their hay day? Whereas Boyzone were still aflame when Stephen came out....it's so stupid that "coming out" should even be a big deal?

My experience of living in both the UK and Australia is that sadly Australia is a little more homophobic than the UK.... not overtly so..... but there is an unspoken undercurrent..... It's also rumoured that the network's don't like it ....as they kept the wraps on other gay actors "coming out" because they were terrified it would affect their precious ratings. The mere fact that someone has to "come out" speaks volumes really... one should not have to... until we have a society where sexuality is not questioned but is accepted ... and where people are free to be who and what they are without prejudice then we can not really call ourselves equal or free.

Archived