Quick Questions

emmauk06

10 hours ago, cymbaline said:

I think they sometimes played reworked tunes on the diner's jukebox because of rights issues. One of them was Madonna's Vogue, which would've been erm...en vogue at the time. 

They did this specifically between early 90 and late 91. From late 91, they started playing a lot of the tracks they'd used in 89 again (for example, "Boys Will Be Boys".) There was also a lot of Pop, New Jack Swing and House used from then till circa 95 (including Dannii Minogue lol!). From around 1996, they definitely moved more into a rock / pop-rock direction with diner tunes.

Other examples of reworked tunes in the 90-91 era (besides already mentioned):-

- Kylie: Better the Devil 

- Neneh Cherry: Heart

- Madonna: Vogue

- Black Box: I Don't Know Anybody Else

Edited by nenehcherry2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cymbaline said:

INXS's New Sensation might be another one?

Yes! That one was used a lot circa 92.

3 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

Have I confused I Don't Know Anybody Else by Black Box, with River Runs Dry by Hunters & Collectors?

Unlikely. Two very different tunes. 

With "I don't know anybody else", they just played the first four bars of the original track (a Korg M1 piano hook, a very hallmark element of Italian House tracks from 89/90ish) on a constant loop. Used a lot in early-mid 91 diner and surf club scenes especially. 

Edited by nenehcherry2
  • Like 1

Now there's a question! I used to read Smash Hits at the time and they joked that she'd burned her mouth with some hot food or something equally daft. 

Speaking of screaming vocals, they used to use a remix of No Justice's Lately. Some of it might sound familiar, especially around here It's surprising No Justice's name is on the track at all because I can't hear very much of the original song or vocals at all. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Talking of Black Box, I wonder WTF they were doing to Heather Small in that studio to get THOSE takes for "Ride on Time"????

The song itself is Marmite, you may love the beat but not like the Screaming vocals... 

Hence why most of us prefer the original, unlicenced version with the Loleatta sample... which earned her a fair few quid in her lawsuit against them! ? as well as a broken ankle when she did a live PA of said track at a rave on the M25 in an icy English winter! 

And also, for the record (pun intended), I never purchased an M People track or album - to avoid Small's screaming vocals bursting my ear drums! 

On 22/06/2023 at 00:23, Red Ranger 1 said:

There was a period about a year in where Tom and Pippa were down to just Sally and Steven as foster children, although Carly moved back in pretty quickly and was in and out for the rest of her time on the show.

That felt like a real period of the Fletchers being pushed back a bit in their prominence. Imo, that further benefitted some of the other characters, "old" and "new" (e.g. Don). 

Whilst it picked up again from 90 (i.e. the Sophie domination era!), SBH never felt quite as "busy" & chaotic again until late 94-96. Suddenly you've got 2 parents with 4-5 kids (excluding Chris) in the house again, a number not seen since 88. 

Edited by nenehcherry2

2 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Come on, M People weren't all that bad. You gotta give them their due for One Night in Heaven,  thought it'd be up your alley, tbh.

It isn't just Heather's vocal style that bugged me; not personally a fan of Mike Pickering's production style either. The end result is very poor imitation of the New Jersey style of House (the Tony Humphries / Strictly Rhythm kind of sound = if you know, you know) that he was aiming for. More pop than anything else really and that saxophone in "Moving On Up" makes me want to throw my speakers out the window when it comes on!  Don't mind "How Can I Love You More" (it has a bit of a Northern Soul vibe) but not a fan of their other tracks. 

Of course, music taste is 100% subjective. Most of their tracks entered the UK Top 10, I don't claim to be "right" nor "wrong"!  ?

2 minutes ago, nenehcherry2 said:

Hulk.

2 minutes ago, nenehcherry2 said:

Hulk, my friend, you once called me a "dance music snob" in a completely different forum and you're kinda right on! ??

t isn't just Heather's vocal style that bugged me; not personally a fan of Mike Pickering's production style either. The end result is very poor imitation of the New Jersey style of House (the Tony Humphries / Strictly Rhythm kind of sound = if you know, you know) that he was aiming for. More pop than anything else really and that saxophone in "Moving On Up" makes me want to throw my speakers out the window when it comes on!  Don't mind "How Can I Love You More" (it has a bit of a Northern Soul vibe) but not a fan of their other tracks. 

Of course, music taste is 100% subjective. Most of their tracks entered the UK Top 10, I don't claim to be "right" nor "wrong"!  ?

blockquote widget

Edited by nenehcherry2