Quotes!

Guest Paige__

I heard this one yesterday at the primary school where I work casually. It was said in a speech by the outgoing boy school captain at the school's Presentation Day assembly, and I thought that it's such a great quote:

Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a great quote in tonights episode of Bones...

Brennan: There was doubt. We had an obligation to respect that doubt. We all share in the death of every human being.

Booth: Very poetic.

Brennan: No, very literal. We all share DNA. When I look at a bone it's not some artifact that I can separate from myself. It's a part of a person who got here the same way I did. It should never be easy to take someone's life. I don't care who it is.

2 quote for y'all

The first one was something a friend said:-

'Never miss a sunrise or a rainbow because you're looking down.'

The second has been said to me but I've also seen it in a few different places:-

'Professional is not a pay cheque, it's an attitude'

My current sig has another quote that's important to me...something else that was said to me by a very wise person.

• 2 months later...

This threads a little bit dead.... but anyways hehe:

"I found myself thinking about President William McKinley, the third American president to be assassinated. He lived for several days after he was shot, and toward the end, his wife started crying and screaming, "I want to go, too! I want to go, too!" And with his last measure of strength, McKinley turned to her and spoke his last words: "We are all going."

"We are all going," McKinley said to his wife, and we sure are. There's your labyrinth of suffering. We are all going. Find your way out of that maze."

“Isn’t it strange how the whole world looks different after it rains? Quiet. Calm. Like when you look out your window, it’s as if all of civilization was washed away with the raindrops.”

"be unique,

why?

because the last time someone tried

to make everything the same,

over 11 million people died."

Although no one will ever accuse me of being much of a science student, one thing I learned from science classes is that energy is never created and never destroyed. And if Alaska took her own life, that is the hope I wish I could have given her. Forgetting her mother, failing her mother and her friends and herself - those are awful things, but she did not need to fold into herself and self-destruct. Those awful things are survivable, because we ARE as indestructible as we believe ourselves to be. When adults say, 'Teenagers think they are invincible' with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, as so it cannot fail.

So, I know that she forgives me, just as I forgive her. Thomas Edison’s last words were: “It’s very beautiful over there.” I don’t know where there is, but I believe it’s somewhere, and I hope it’s beautiful.

Yesterday is history, tommorow is a mystery, today is a gift thats why its called the present

- Annon

From Kung Fu Panda

Tai Lung: You can't defeat me! You... you're just a big... fat... panda!

[He throws a weak punch, Po catches his hand by the finger]

Po: I'm not a big fat panda. I'm *the* big fat panda.

From the Hurricane

Hate brought me in here, Love's gonna bust me out

this is the funniest...

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon.' Need I say more?”

-Chris Rock

'Everything will be okay in the end; if it's not okay, then it's not the end.' - Anon.

'We accept the love we think we deserve'.

'What is popular is not always right, but what is right is not always popular.'

And, yes, I know it's a bit of a cliché:

'For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.' (John 3:16)

I think that one line means more to me than all of the others put together.

'For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.' (John 3:16)

i love that quote, it's amazing.

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hopethat I would not have a single bit of talent left and couldsay: I used everything you gave me." -- Erma Bombeck

and

"The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do,something to love, and something to hope for." -- Allan K. Chalmers

theres this site, and each day it e-mails you a quote, its really good.

http://www.famous-quotes-and-quotations.com/

• 1 month later...

*Bump*

Just like that. From a hundred miles an hour

to asleep in a nanosecond. I wanted so badly

to lie down next to her on the couch,

to wrap my arms around her and sleep.

Not f---, like in those movies. Not even have sex.

Just sleep together,

in the most innocent sense of the phrase.

But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend

and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and

I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating.

So I walked back to my room

and collapsed on the bottom bunk,

thinking that if people were rain,

I was drizzle and she was a hurricane."

Someday no one will remember that she ever existed, I wrote in my notebook, and then, or that I did. Because memories fall apart, too. And then you're left with nothing, left not even with a ghost but with its shadow. In the beginning, she had haunted me, haunted my dreams, but even now, just weeks later, she was slipping away, falling apart in my memory and everyone else's, dying again.

Like the way the sun is right now, with the long shadows and that kind of bright, soft light you get when the sun isn't quite setting? That's the light that makes everything better, everything prettier, and today, everything just seemed to be in that light. I mean, I didn't do anything. But just sitting here, even if I'm just watching the Colonel whittle, or whatever. Whatever. Great day, today. Best day of my life."

Archived