20th Anniversary Discussion

Guest James Martin

Having watched the two Sally weddings over the last two days I wondered if anyone else was in agreement that it would be fitting to have Sally and Brad tie the knot as the 20th Birthday celebrations this January?

Central character gets married (I know it's been done before, stay with me...) and a great excuse to bring important people back like Floss, the original foster kids, Pippa, etc., etc.

I just think it would be a fitting birthday celebration, what does everyone else think?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having watched the two Sally weddings over the last two days I wondered if anyone else was in agreement that it would be fitting to have Sally and Brad tie the knot as the 20th Birthday celebrations this January?

Central character gets married (I know it's been done before, stay with me...) and a great excuse to bring important people back like Floss, the original foster kids, Pippa, etc., etc.

I just think it would be a fitting birthday celebration, what does everyone else think?

Good Idea!! im with that..Alf Could Walk her down the aisl and have a heart attack at the alter, Not that i dont love him.... but that'll freak em out. :lol:

I’m not keen on Brad and Sally – I hope they split up, so I don’t want them to get married. Flynn and Sally worked so well as they were so well suited and a lot of time and effort seemed to go into writing their relationship, so it was all believable…a memorable couple – I don’t get that feeling between Brad and Sally. I don't think it will last... and I really hope it doesn’t, I hope the writers don’t go and marry them off due to the above^, not to mention boring...

I agree the 20th anniversary celebrations definitely has to involve bringing past cast back, without a doubt. But rather than them all just returning to say a couple of lines here and there, I’d like for them to actually be given some good storylines and character development on screen. I was really hoping for a crying scene between Kate Ritchie and Debra Lawrence when Flynn died…

Look, I'm probably the biggest Sally/Flynn fan out there. I'm still upset because the bloke's dead. He was a MUCH better character than Sad Brad. (Chris S is a great actor though, watch Garage Days if you don't agree)

but I think a Sally/Brad wedding could work... Hoping that by January next year they would have done something to make Brad's character and the Brally relationship a little more interesting.

The other option is that Alf and Colleen could get married on the anniversary...

No thanks.

Sally's already had two weddings. And if Kate stays on the show for another 20 years there will probably be more to come.

Not that I don't like her, but the 20th anniversary should be something unique, not something we've seen before and may see again. I hope they come up with a good storyline but it should be original.

Of course it should have a mix of old and new characters too :D

Whilst at some point they'll probably need a focal of the celebrations, I hope that they have familiar faces roll back into the bay a points through the years. For instance certain characters wouldn't come back for a Sally wedding.

For instance, Joey, he toured around Australia speaking to school children about scizophrenia. What about Brad organising this talk and Joey returns for a week or two!

Or Judith and Peta returning to Summer Bay to scatter Edward's ashes after he finally passed away.

Part of the problem I've sometimes found with these big events, especially the 4000th episode is there scrum all these past characters back to say a few lines (or even less!), before sending them back on their way.

Having watched the wedding episodes recently on Five Life, you learnt a lot about what Frank, Steven, Jack, Martin, Lance and Floss had been up to in the 5-10 years since they were last on the show.

In Episode 4000, did Barbara being there bring anything to the episode. Remember the last time she was in Summer Bay before that, she tried to kill Don. That's one storyline Home and Away would probably like to forget, and maybe this one some kind of "in-joke", but cuddling Alf didn't really justify a reappearance.

Sam, Will, Mitch all returned and said happy birthday to Alf and hi to Hayley.

That's over half of the "1999-2000" gang. But they were dispatched within two hours of returning to the party.

If you got Lynn to turn up for Sally's wedding, there's no point in her wishing Sally luck, and we're left wondering just what has Lynn been up to these last 20 years.

The sesquicentenary worked much better. In reality was almost a two or so week stint for most of the characters. Still, some characters were skimmed over. Boring Matt Wilson had about 15-20 lines in his week back on the show. He's set up surf shop and got a family and kids, oh and he can smile in the background.

Neighbours 20th anniversary was a bit, mmm, OK, being blunt, I didn't like it. Not only did it seem in a way to try and parody itself, I thought the actual event, whilst the numbers were boosted slightly with about 6 or so old faces, though some of them left you scratching your heads, like why Doug Willis. Anyway, that lasted a week as well, though Joe did stay for a few months afterwards. Most other characters delived 10 second snippets, and whilst you saw how Jane or Gaby had grown up, was it particularly satisfying a "Oh, I loved my time in Ramsay Street".

What's the point of Amy saying "Come get me Lance", if it goes nowhere.

I'm all in favour of a wedding or a celebration being a main focal point, but I would also like if whoever that they do talk round into coming back, they give them something to do, otherwise they could save money and just use cardboard cut-outs of them.

One thing I will add, next time Sally marries someone, make sure that the character is recast, or the actor is willing to sign a ten year contract so that Sally doesn't end up becoming Sally Keating Fletcher Saunders Armstrong Baker Campbell Nicodemou Ritchie Furze McGranger Raco Bozich

I agree, if past characters return it's better to give them some dialogue and find out what they have been up to. But I didn't find the appearances of say Barbara or Sarah in ep4000 pointless just because they didn't speak.

But whatever they do, I hope they end the episode on a nice gentle note like the ep before and the ep after Sally's non-wedding. Ep 4000 could have ended nicely with Sally closing the door of SBH, without the whole car crash thing tagged on at the end.

I'm sure whatever they do will be good, as Home and Away is excellent at staying true to it's history and roots and bringing back past characters.

But the more I think about it, the more I hate the idea of it being on Sally and Brad's wedding day.

Archived