Sally Called! (by I love music) - comments

Skykat

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could I have missed this fic?!

I've read up to Chapter Four so far, and I really like what you've written. As always your writing is brilliant and the characters are just great! I love how you've written Sally, she just seems so sweet and innocent. How cute is she?

I have to go to work, but I will catch up on the chapters when I get home. :) Great writing!

She was way, way out of his league anyway, what with letters after her name and qualifications and certificates in thingummyjig subjects that he couldn’t even spell, let alone figure out the meaning of.
Oh Lance is such a sweetheart. I always just thought he was an idiot on screen but you make him come alive for me, he's so much more human the way you write him.

Ernie Stein - Einstein! It was a mistake one of her own Summer Bay Primary students might have made, not a grown man.

Aw bless! And bless Kathy for not showing him up.

Lance may have been at the back of the queue when brains were being handed out, yet he was the sweetest guy she’d ever met. Why hadn’t she ever noticed before how that kind, caring smile lit up his face and eyes and made a happy little knot tighten in her stomach?
Another aw moment, these two are so made for each other...

“You know, Lance, I wrote about kids and their imaginary friends as part of my thesis and even I couldn’t come up with that answer. But you understand what goes on in kids’ heads. Better than anyone,” she said in admiration. “And I think if we put our heads together, we just might be able to figure out a way to kidnap Milko back...”

Yesss!!!! Finally somebody is going to help Sally!

surprised to realise the world wasn’t a bad place without the fog of alcohol to blur its sharp edges.
That was great. Its great to see Carly so happy after sinking so low. She's a character who's so inherrently flawed, I can relate to her so much the way you write her.

Loved the flashbacks aswell. I never really understood how Carly, who seemingly had everything in regards to the rich family, was put into care yet her twin sister wasn't. Your explanation explains an awful lot.

And being the smartest kid in Summer Bay High was the loneliest place on earth to be.

Steven's having a go at the old heart strings again. That was so well written, so evocative, lovely and so sad.

Since then Frank had had another father figure to admire. Tom Fletcher lacked Frankie’s swagger and aggression but, just like he had when Eddie Brookes had tried to gain a new customer with underhand practice, in his own quiet way Tom stood his ground too. But with one vital difference. Frankie Morgan didn’t back down out of vanity. Tom Fletcher stood up for what he believed was right.
I remember that incident, love how Frank really admires Tom for it. I can really see his torment in having two very different role models.

but Frank hadn’t forgotten he owed Steven! And he had another plan. A much better one. Like he’d promised Jenny, Steven wasn’t going to get bashed. But he wasn’t going to get off scot free either...

Oh no! And here I was all happy at Frank but now he's still gunning for poor Stevo...

Loved it once again ILM. Your talent never fails to amaze me, the way you bring characters to life, the way you make them human, flawed and genuine. I just wish more people would take time to read your stuff, a lot of writers on here could seriously learn a great deal.

I only have about six chapters to go, but it's 3.20am now and I should be sleeping...

Here are some of my favourite bits...

Chapter Four

“How’d’ya ******* think, drongo? First, ya gotta act like this imaginary mate Milko’s with ya all the time...”

“Oh, no probs, Scotty. I swear I’ve never let the guy outta my sight.”

Scotty blinked. It was difficult at times. Really difficult. No wonder he smoked.

Loved that! Kane is so naive and Scotty is just... *sigh* Scotty.

Chapter Five

“Listen!” Kane hissed. “I’ve been thinkin’. I just wanna make sure we got the right bloke. ‘Cos it ain’t fair if we’ve kidnapped the wrong guy now, is it? I mean, what if he’s got a twin or somethin’? What does your mate Milko look like?”

Sally thought for a moment. Very few people had ever asked the question

Again, I love the innocence and naiveity that Sally and Kane have. It makes the whole situation so much more believable! I loved the ending as well about Kane and the dragon.

Chapter Six

Soon she would be back in the Home, with Milko, but branded a thief. Pippa wouldn’t like her anymore. Nobody would. They’d keep her fingerprints on file and put Not Wanted posters of her up at police stations all across Australia to warn off other foster parents.

“You’re not allowed! You’re not allowed! Go away, Steven, or I’ll...”

Sally suddenly remembered something. They’d been in her pocket, forgotten, all this time.

“Burn you,” she finished, not knowing that fire was Steven’s greatest fear, as she struck the match.

Gosh that was so dramatic! My heart kind of jumped when I read that last bit! But you've written Sally's feelings really well! When I was little and did something wrong... I imagined that same scenario! Lol! :P

ChapterEight

“What use is a geeky swot to a talent contest? Going to wow them all with mathematical formulas or something, Einstein?”

“Keep your nose out of my business, El Thicko, and it was your turn, not mine, to tidy the bedroom yesterday,” Steven fired back,

Love the dialogue, so realistic! Hehe Steven and Frank remind me of my uncles... I liked Carly's backstory as well. She has so many layers and its cool how you've touched on some of her emotions.

Dark and handsome, he had never had any problems getting the girls, but a ready supply of cash and element of danger had made him even more attractive. Frank had been the result of one of those liaisons and, despite Paula’s heavy drinking, the only good thing to ever come out of his life.

*sigh*

Milko turned and he looked straight at Sally.

“Rack off!” He spat at her, his face contorted with hate.

Another heart skipping a beat moment...

Gosh, I hope I didn't quote too much... but I'm really enjoying it so far. The characters have been written so well, I never watched H&A when they were on (bit hard when you're a toddler...) but I can really picture them and their interactions with each other. Great writing as always!

Thank you for your very flattering reviews! :blush: Guess everybody who reads my fics knows by now that I want to write for and about kids so I must be doing something right! :D

The characters have been written so well, I never watched H&A when they were on (bit hard when you're a toddler...) but I can really picture them and their interactions with each other.

I never saw any of the early series either, Adia. I got my information about Sally, Steven, Carly etc (Kathy, Jenny and Zammo are my own creations) from asking (a LOT of) questions on BTTB. :)

I have read all the chapters and am all caught up!

I never saw any of the early series either, Adia. I got my information about Sally, Steven, Carly etc (Kathy, Jenny and Zammo are my own creations) from asking (a LOT of) questions on BTTB
If that's the case then it really shows what a talented writer you are! You've created a really special group of characters and conveyed thier emotions so well!

Chapter 15

“You’re part of the family concept,” Pippa said in the same quiet, choked voice. “We keep that photo on the mantlepiece because we’re your family and this is your home.”

That was very touching. It reminded me of when Ric first went to live with Sally and Flynn. I remember Pippa doing the same thing with Jack and I think for them to care about the kids like that is very special, and it's something that has continued.

That was great how Steven and Frank confronted Scott! :P That was such a great scene!

“You got us in this ******* mess,” Milko said. “You can ******* well get us out of it.”

“You ate the bacon,” Milko said accusingly, glaring at him. “You and Scotty. Not me or Deefa or Fred. You and Scotty.”

Tears stung Kane’s eyes but he fought them back. Milko was right. It was Kane’s fault.

Scotty has quite an influence... love how Milko's character has changed and how Kane and Sally have internalised everything. I sooo want to be a little kid again!

“Well, you know, Sal, who’s to say jumpin’ jelly beans don’t exist?” He said gently. “After all, somebody must have said it first for a reason. So I think somewhere in the world there MUST be jumpin’ jelly beans and there MUST be folk jumpin’ for luck when they see them.”

How sweet is Lance! I hope that he and Kathy can get Milko back! And I can't wait to see what kind of pay back Frank gives to Steven! Great writing as always! :)

Hehe, take your time, your writing is always worth the wait.

SBH - is that another fic that I should read? I come on here just about everyday and there are still so many fics that I haven't read yet...

Summer Bay High. It's Skykat's creation and I joined in round chapter 10.

There are LOADS of excellent fics on here. It amazes me that there's so much talent among the BTTB members. The only reason I don't read as many as I'd like to is not enough time. :)

Same with me ILM. One of these days I'm going to sit down and type up reviews for promises and amaze you with about 7 pages of reviews. I read every chapter but never reply because I never have enough time to reply with the justice it deserves so I'm currently writing a chapter at a time and I'll post them all at the end. Along with all the reviews you got first time around.