Everlasting Love

Guest -ParaisGal-

Chapter Nine.

"Where are you living, Sam?" Martha asked her, as Martha worked that night.

"I'm thinking of leasing a nice little house, it suits us pretty well. Molly loves it, there's a pink room, and she's already said she's having the pink room, I get the yellow and Rory gets the blue. She picked our rooms for us, but I don't think Rory's complaining about not getting the pink room." She said with a laugh.

"I would believe that. Callie's a bit the same, she has to choose before the other two can, we really should put a stop to that behaviour." She said smiling.

"I totally agree, because I don't even get to choose what food I buy, she tells me what I can buy and if I don't go with it, she's not happy." She grinned.

"Aren't you meant to be working love?" Tony asked Martha.

"Yes, I guess I am." She smiled "But chatting to Sam is pretty fun. This place is also dead empty." She said flatly.

"And you're so very bored aren't you?" Tony said, quickly checking the stock.

"Well, now that you mention it, yes I am." She nodded.

"This is a nice place, this bar." Sam said.

"It's named after Noah, he was murdered. He was a resident of Summer Bay, he and his wife Hayley were just starting their lives together. Now, Hayley is my sister-in-law, she married Scott, which is one of Beth's children. Hayley and Scott also have a son, Noah." Martha explained.

"You know, even I didn't fully understand this bar's history, I just never got around to asking Hayley about it." Tony said.

"Well, I know a fair bit. Hayley should be coming back soon, with Noah, because it's Noah's anniversary soon, and everyone unites then." She said, turning her attention to a customer.

-----

"Hi." Sam said softly to Lucas as she approached him at the diner, where he sat just staring at his milkshake.

He looked at her, shifting his gaze "Hi." He muttered, getting up.

"Lucas, can we please talk?" She asked him quietly, putting a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Fine." He said, sitting down and folding his arms.

"Look, I know you hate me, alright. I know I didn't have anything to do with you guys for 31 years, and I know you didn't have a chance to know your niece and nephew. But I was having troubles myself. I still am having troubles, but I realised I was avoiding them, like my own mother was. She avoided Tony, and I followed the same track, staying as far away as I could. I really regret that, and I want us to be friends. Do you think that we could, Lucas, for the sake of our family at least. It would be very difficult for everyone if we were constantly fighting. It's not worth it Lucas, so please." She said quietly. She took in his stubborn stance and sighed "Fine, when you're ready, come and find me." She told him, standing up and walking out of the diner.

-----

"Lucas officially hates me." Sam said with a sigh.

"Why do you think that? He's just probably having trouble adjusting." Martha tried to encourage her.

"No, he's not. He's having trouble adjusting to life with a sister. A sister he wants nothing to do with. I know I wasn't around, but I did get regular updates about them, and I saw them a few times. That's how Jack knows me, when Tony and I would somehow find one another in a supermarket, we'd nod and have a little chat, and Jack learnt everything, one day he said 'Hi sis'. That was the day Jack found out. But Lucas never met me, because I kept moving from town to town, away from everything. I've decided it's enough, I'm sick of running from my father and his family, I'm sick of figuring out new towns and finding new friends, and a new job. So, I've decided to move permanently to the bay. That means getting a job here, and hopefully buying my own place." She said, nodding "And not leaving five months later." She said, nodding.

"That's great. Well you're very welcome here. You've got a busy job soon, being aunt to the twins, so it should get a bit better." She smiled to her.

"Thank you, I'm grateful you and Jack managed to accept me, as well as Tony and Beth, and Beth's family." She said, smiling back.

"Well, this town is a very forgiving, very nice place. You'll love it here." She told her.

-----

One month later, Martha groaned inwardly as she saw another happy group join the active party. She was working, and there was a rather large, rather rowdy party on and she'd rather be curled up at home on the lounge, using Jack as a pillow as they lay quietly, watching a movie with the kids. But no, she was stuck here, by herself. Her grandad had jetted off to visit Celia, and Tony was unable to be contacted, probably off somewhere with Sam, Jack and Lucas. At least she didn't have to handle money, just add it on to the till, until the point where the account the couple had paid for ran out.

"Another beer." A man demanded.

"Sure." Martha said warily, not even bothering to make him say it politely. She handed it over, adding it to the till.

"Need a hand pet?" Colleen asked her, standing at the staff doorway.

"No Colleen, you can enjoy the party." She assured her.

"I don't mind helping, I'm here to help." She said kindly, already stepping into the bar area.

"Colleen, I'll be fine. Just go enjoy yourself." She assured her.

"Alright pet, if you're certain?" She asked.

"Of course Colleen." Martha said, forcing a smile for her.

Colleen agreeably went away, but continued to watch Martha. She knew she was dead tired, her facial expression and stance showed it. But, if Martha didn't want the help there wasn't anything she could do.

-----

Jack and Sam hurried to Noah's Bar, sure enough Colleen was outside.

"Oh she's in there pet. She's absolutely worn out, but she's refusing any help. I thought I should call you, so you could know and maybe she'd accept help from you." Colleen said, hurrying in behind them and glaring at someone she bumped into.

"Thanks Colleen." Jack called, hurrying in, and taking note of his wife's appearance. She looked tired, emotional, and she obviously had a back ache by the way she was holding her back, as she was now five months pregnant with twins so she had a large strain on her back.

Martha looked dully around the room, she had another two hours yet, before quickly giving another person their order. She turned to the next person.

"I'll have a shift, thanks." Sam said, stepping into the bar, and leaving Jack to sit Martha down.

"What?" Martha said, realising that Jack was leading her away "Jack, I've got to work." She protested, standing up.

"I don't think so. You sit down, me and Sam will do the work." Jack said firmly "You're five months pregnant, you should not be working in your current state, and don't say you're fine because you're not. Colleen called us, so I said I had to go and Sam came with me, and Dad's on his way. You've got backache, you are tired, and you look fairly upset. Stay there and tell us what to do till Dad comes back, understand." He told her, kissing her forehead after he delivered her instructions.

"Alright." She agreed, sighing as she leant into the comfortable chair.

NEXT UPDATE: Which building gets set on fire, and who gets paralysed waist down, never being able to walk again?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh My God! Your going to paralyse someone! :o How could you! :angry: lol

Im thinking its Sam, it better not be JnM! Theyve had enough problems!

I think if Sam gets paralysed itl really bring the family together, (even though i dont want anyone to be paralysed :( )

Update soon, poor Martha being flat out on her feet! That must really suck :(

Chapter Ten.

"So all the girls are at some club tonight?" Jack asked Dan, as they watched the kids.

"Yup. Martha, Leah, Irene, Belle, Mattie, Cassie, Sally, Beth, Amanda, Rachel, Sasha, who have I missed?" He asked himself.

"Kit." Kim said promptly.

"Right, right. I forgot about Kit, actually." Dan said.

"Feel free to forget about my step-sister." Jack said, grinning.

-----

"This is fun." Sasha said to Martha.

"So, you admit. A night out is well spent." Martha said, grinning as they listened to the music.

"Yes. Especially when you know your kid's in capable hands." She nodded.

"You finally trusted Jared enough to let him mind Tyson without you watching over him? Wow you have progressed." She smirked at her sister.

"Very funny." She said, rolling her eyes.

"I'm not getting anything to eat here. Apparently the cook is pretty bad." Martha nodded.

"Right, I guess that solves it. I'm not eating here either." She laughed.

-----

"That was a good night." Martha remarked, looking at Irene, and suddenly looking up at Leah's gasp, as she walked with Leah and Irene to do a last check on the diner "Oh no." She said, hurrying towards the diner. She went to go in but she felt an arm on her shoulder.

"You can't go in." Jack told her calmly.

"Why not Jack?" She asked him.

"Because the building could collapse at any moment, and I don't want any of you three getting hurt." He said seriously, looking especially at Martha.

"I need to see it Jack." Leah said, paling "I can't lose this business. How was the fire lit in the first place? We had people on, working."

"It appears someone left the stove on. The boys just finished putting it out." He said, pointing to the fire engine that was still there in case anything happened.

"I rely on that job, so does Colleen, and Irene's part owner. Oh god Colleen was on the kitchen tonight. How's the apartment?" Leah asked.

"Well, there were people trapped up there. The fire spread to the apartment, and Brad was up there, with Morag." Jack said.

"They aren't the only people mate. We just found a small body." Pete said grimly as he approached him."

"A small.. body?" He asked, slightly scared now.

"A small body, yes. A body of a little four year old girl. Your little four year old girl." Pete said quietly.

"Kiah was with Morag.." He said slowly "So was Callie!"

"Callie was with Tony tonight." Martha spoke up. She looked pale.

"Pete is she alive?" Jack asked, getting out his keys and taking Martha's hand, who simply looked stunned.

"I'm not sure about her condition, just go." He told him.

-----

By the time they were rushing into the hospital, Rachel was outside the room.

"Martha! Jack!" She called them over.

"How's Kiah?" Martha asked breathlessly.

"She'll be alright, she's a strong girl." She assured them "She has bad smoke inhalation, and she's struggling to breath because her throat and lungs are congested with smoke. She had some things fall on her, bits of wood, and a little bit of concrete, so she's got some damage to her back and legs, we don't know how severe yet. Morag refused to stay in a hospital bed, she's by her bedside." She informed them.

Martha hurried in, taking note of her firstborn child on the bed, feeling an unbelievable pain as she watched and hurried to her "Kiah." She said softly, taking the unconscious little girl's hand.

"I'm so sorry about this Martha." Morag apologised to her grand-niece.

"It's alright aunty Morag, this isn't your fault." She assured her.

"It's the cook's fault, the diner stove was left on." Jack said "You're not to blame for any of this."

"It was Colleen tonight, on the kitchen. I'll make her pay for this." Morag said.

"So Colleen left the stove on? She should know not to do that." Martha said furiously.

"Alright, I know your upset but this isn't helping." Jack said softly, taking Martha's hand "She's strong, she's a fighter. She'll get through this."

"You heard what Rachel said. They don't know the extent of the damage." She said coldly to Jack.

"I know they don't, but she'll get through this. She has our support."

-----

Tony came in the next morning "Hey love, how are you?" He asked Martha, handing her a juice.

"I've had better nights." She admitted, rubbing her eyes.

"I'm sure you have. It's painful, staying up the whole night watching your child just laying on a bed, she hasn't woken yet?"

"She's just sleeping at the moment. She woke up crying last night, she was having large pains in her back, and she couldn't feel her legs." She told him.

"So that means the damage to her back was pretty bad." He said, sighing.

"Yeah, it's really bad damage." She said softly, and after fifteen minutes of chatter, Tony left, saying he had work.

Rachel walked in, looking at Martha's tired state "Martha, are you alright?" She asked her quietly.

"I'll be alright." She assured Rachel.

"You look really tired, exhausted, upset, in general too emotional for a pregnant woman. Want to talk about it?" She asked, sitting a chair beside Martha.

Martha sighed, knowing Rachel would force it out of her eventually "First off, how will we cope if she's permanently disabled? Sure we have a house, and so on, but I mean, how will we cope with five young children?" She said, leaning back, letting a tear slide down her smooth cheek.

"You will. Believe it or not you will. You have Callie's help, Jack's help, and Tony, Beth, Lucas and Belle live next door. I'm sure you'll cope just fine, you already have a stable family life, and the twins aren't going to complicate things. You'll do well." She assured her.

"I hope we do." She said, sighing again.

"How about you go home and get some sleep? I'm sure Callie and Rory would benefit from seeing you again, even though Belle is watching them."

"I don't want to leave Kiah. What happens if she wakes up and I'm not here? She'll be upset, and unhappy." She said.

"I'll stay with her. You go and get some sleep."

NEXT UPDATE: Martha finds Colleen.

Archived