Everlasting Love

Guest -ParaisGal-

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

-Note- Colleen isn’t in this one. Sorry. Next one, I wrote this then realised I was meant to have Colleen.

Chapter Eleven.

“So, what are you going to do when you go home tomorrow?” Rachel asked Kiah, who had woken up and was chatting quite happily to her.

“Xbox.” She said, grinning.

“You’re going to annoy your mum?” She asked her.

“Yeah.” She nodded.

“You’re going to be the centre of attention to. And the envy of everyone, look. You’ve got a pink chair!” Rachel said, pretending to be excited.

She nodded, looking at the pink Quickie wheelchair she’d be going home in “It’s fun!” She said, grinning.

“I’m glad you think so.” She smiled at her “You’re going to have heaps of fun.” She told her.

“I know.” She nodded.

Rachel was secretly relieved that Kiah was taking this so well. If she wasn’t taking it so well, she might not be able to get her home the next day “Want to play a game?” She asked. She knew she was pushing her time but she didn’t want to leave Kiah alone.

As if on cue, a new nurse, Jacob poked his head in the door “Rachel, Mrs Smith needs her discharge papers.” He said.

“I’ll be there soon.” She promised.

“She’s getting really annoyed.” He said.

Rachel bit her lip “I’m busy at the moment.” She said to him, turning her attention to Kiah.

“I’m sure Miss Holden will be fine for twenty minutes.”

“Kiah is a family friend, she’s the daughter of my best friends. I will not leave her alone in a strange place.” She said calmly “Find Dr. Young to discharge Mrs Smith, I’m sure it won’t kill her to be in here another ten minutes.”

“Rachel, you have to leave her. You have patients to attend to, and Miss Holden is fine at the moment.”

Rachel looked at Kiah’s sad face and turned to Jacob, standing up “I’m not leaving her Jacob, I thought I made that perfectly clear. She’s upset.”

“Shouldn’t her mother or father be here with her?” He asked calmly.

“Her mother is five months pregnant with twins, and is at home resting, as she watches over her two other children. Her father is at work, being a policeman. Now if you wouldn’t mind, can you just shut up and leave?” She snapped.

-----

“Rachel, you’ve been in there ten minutes, just sign her out.” Jacob said angrily, as he barged in the door.

“Fine.” She said coldly, turning to Kiah “I’ll be back in a minute sweetie.” She promised her, giving her a quick hug. Once outside she walked straight past Jacob.

“Rach, you know other patients are also lonesome, and also needing attention. We can’t just give all our attention solely to one patient.” He told her.

“That child has just been through a lot, and she’s only four years old. She faces life in a wheelchair, how the heck do you think she’s feeling at this moment? Do you think she really wants to be alone in a strange room, with nobody to talk to? She can’t even watch the TV because there aren’t any children channels. So just let me do what I feel necessary. Her mother spent the whole of last night with her, even though she’d been up all the previous day. She was preparing to do another all day, and I told her I’d stay with her until someone else came. How would you feel, if a woman in Martha’s condition asked you to stay with her daughter until someone came? Your best friends wife, and his wife also happens to be your best friend. Would you feel obliged to do that? To give the girl the attention she deserves and craves? She’s bored and she’s lonely in there.” She said, thrusting the papers back at him, after quickly doing her routine checks, hurried back into Kiah’s room.

-----

Rachel watched a sleeping Kiah’s form. It was two hours after the argument, and Kiah’s dinner had arrived, and Rachel had helped her with it. She turned when she heard movement, smiling at the person.

“Hi.” Belle nodded to her “Lucas is minding Caitlyn for the rest of the night. I’m here till about ten.” She told Rachel.

“Alright, so you’re okay to stay with her?” She said quietly.

“I’ll be fine.” She assured her. She watched Kiah as Rachel left, then was surprised when Kiah opened her eyes “Aren’t you meant to be asleep sweetie?” She asked her, straightening her blankets.

“I couldn’t sleep aunty Belle. Rach wanted me to sleep but I couldn’t.” She said in her young voice.

“Alright sweetie, well I’m here now, so if you want you can talk.” She offered.

“Can you read me a story?” She asked her.

“Of course I can.” She told her, getting a book from the shelf and sitting beside her.

NEXT UPDATE: I have absolutely no idea.

Archived