Behind Closed Doors

Guest allibaz91

That was totally worth the wait! :)

Your writing is really really awesome! They were really great chapters.

I liked how Peter called Sam. That was one of my favourites bits when Peter snapped at him.

“So now you’re obsessed with me?” he replied teasingly, and she smacked him in the chest, and then clapped her hand over her mouth when he winced in pain.

“Damn it!” she cried out. “I am so sorry – are you okay?!”

Pete and Clare are so cute together! That was so sweet of Peter to go to all that for her birthday!Awww!

Can't wait to see the next update!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow thanks Lil, swfc and Adia!!

I really appreciate all your nice feedback, thanks soooo much lol!

No, not trying to change Shan's mind at all. Why would I? Do remember, I'm not the one writing this fic. Alison is. But, Shan has already declared her love for Panda so nothing much we can do about it.....

And I dont know about Chrissie, but I've been trying to change Shan's mind at any rate lol! *blushes* Pete and Clare are meant to be - Panda can get in line :P

I agree whole-heartedly with that, Alison. Back off, Panda. :P

Lol who says there's nothing we can do about it?!?! I'm working on it, believe me!! What do you think was the real reason behind this fic?? :P

Woop, another Pete/Clare fan who prefers them to Panda!! Finally I found one lol

That was totally worth the wait! :)

Your writing is really really awesome! They were really great chapters.

I liked how Peter called Sam. That was one of my favourites bits when Peter snapped at him.

“So now you’re obsessed with me?” he replied teasingly, and she smacked him in the chest, and then clapped her hand over her mouth when he winced in pain.

“Damn it!” she cried out. “I am so sorry – are you okay?!”

Pete and Clare are so cute together! That was so sweet of Peter to go to all that for her birthday!Awww!

Can't wait to see the next update!

Lol yeah I thought the start of the fic dragged on rather a lot, so I figured some humour was in order, eventually!!

I'm actually looking for a character name for a teenage girl, so if anybody has suggestions then PM me (not telling what her role will be, but she comes into it a few chapters on and has a pretty important part to play in the confusing-ness that I'm making Peter's life)

I'll update as soon as I can, guys - thanks again!!

Lol who says there's nothing we can do about it?!?! I'm working on it, believe me!! What do you think was the real reason behind this fic?? :P
I think I just found a new best friend. :D

Woop, another Pete/Clare fan who prefers them to Panda!! Finally I found one lol

Haha.... Those two [shan & Lil] *cough* *cough* have been trying to convert me into a Panda fan but I'm resisting. :D

Names?!?! Hmmm....

Lol dont worry - they'll give up eventually :P Power to the people!!

Lol yeah, short on names right now ..... I've had one suggestion from Lil (no prizes for guessing what it could be!) so unless anyone else has any ideas she might just get her own way :P

Will update ASAP!! :D

Lol dont worry - they'll give up eventually :P Power to the people!!

Lol yeah, short on names right now ..... I've had one suggestion from Lil (no prizes for guessing what it could be!) so unless anyone else has any ideas she might just get her own way :P

Will update ASAP!! :D

Only 3 people would guess.......

I hope I get my way :P

Update soon lol :D

^ Lol so it would seem :P

I have to go out now *sigh* and I havent quite finished the next cliffy chapter :P

So it looks like it'll be tomorrow again guys - sorry!! But it'll be within 24 hours, and if it's not Shan can get out her trusty knife and deal with me lol. Apologies! :)

Okay, I confess, it was more than 24 hours :blush: but here it is anyway (Shan, dont hurt me!!)

Chapter 16

“Oh, God, that was the funniest thing I have ever seen in my entire life!”

“You know what, just because you don’t get out often enough –”

“No, don’t turn this around on me: you know fine well you looked ridiculous!” Clare scoffed, handing Julie a cup of tea. She then handed one to Peter, who smiled at her as she passed it over. She bit her lip, looking embarrassed but still smiling uncontrollably, and sat down on the couch next to Julie, who was watching the pair of them looking more than a little interested.

“Well, whatever,” she said coolly. “It was the Nineties – everyone expected you to dress like Madonna for a night out. I’ll have you know it was perfectly normal.”

“Oh, come on, Jules – you wearing a blonde curly wig and a pink dress from a Sugarplum Fairy costume was never going to be normal,” Clare answered, laughing. Even Julie – the wicked sister-in-law, as Peter had always thought of her when he and Clare were together – had to laugh at that. This of course made Clare laugh even more: oh what a beautiful laugh she had … and oh how loud the two of them were, Peter realised, as they went into fresh giggles at absolutely nothing, as far as he could tell.

“You know, I’m beginning to regret organising this little get-together,” he informed the two of them, sitting back and observing them together. “We do have neighbours. I don’t know any of them, but we have them. And some people like to sleep in.”

“Whatever, Baker,” Julie blew him off, turning to Clare. “Can I give you your gift now?”

“Gift? Oh, Jules, you didn’t have to do that!” Clare looked mortified. “I haven’t spoken to you in so many years – I mean, I appreciate the gesture, but …”

“Clare Brody!” Julie screeched so loudly that Peter felt the need to cover his ears. She responded with a none-too-ladylike finger gesture, which caused her younger sister to smack her in the arm, looking outraged while trying not to laugh.

“What the hell kind of example are you setting for your little sister?” she demanded.

“You’re thirty-two now, little sis,” was Julie’s sarcastic response. “I highly doubt it’s anything you’ve never seen before. Aside from which, if I ever hear you refusing a gift again, I will disown you and have you stricken off from all future family gatherings, am I understood?”

Both Peter and Clare went into fits at that one – he loved seeing her this happy.

“Oh, I have missed you,” Clare told her sister, grinning. “Seriously, I have – and it means so much to me that you came. Having you both here – ” she reached out and took Julie’s left hand in her right, and Peter’s right hand in her left “ – has made this day so incredible for me. I mean, I’m not exactly a birthday fan, but you guys have made it a really great day. I don’t know the last time I was this happy.”

She gave Peter’s hand an extra squeeze and shot him her amazing smile before letting go of both his and Julie’s hands at the same time. Peter smiled wanly and looked at the floor, feeling suddenly ill. His head had been pounding for a while, but now it had become almost unbearable. As if she could read his mind, Clare seized his painkillers from the table next to her and grabbed him around the wrist, tipping two into his forced-open palm.

“Take them, and don’t argue,” she said, shooting him a warning glance. He rolled his eyes and swallowed the revolting things. At least it kept her happy. The truth was they didn’t really seem to work all that well, but she was doing everything she could to make him feel better. Telling her that she was all he needed seemed a tad cheesy, so he took the medication without a word. What harm could it do? So he sat back, bearing the pain, and listening with semi-feigned interest to the Brody sisters’ trip down memory lane.

“Well!” Julie said loudly, some hours later, “much as I hate to break up the party, I have a daughter to get back to.” Peter sat up, quite surprised – he’d been having a nice little daydream about his and Clare’s rendezvous in the hall right after Julie’s arrival. Between the two of them, he was noticing, they had a nice habit of interrupting him whenever he wandered off into Clare dreamland. Which was more often than they probably thought.

“Okay, well, send Lucy all my love,” Clare said, getting to her feet, “and I’ll call you in a few days to arrange that trip.”

“What trip?” Peter asked, bemused – he must’ve been completely out of it!

“I told you he was sleeping,” Julie said smugly. Clare rolled her eyes and ushered her sister out of the door, calling goodbyes, before slamming said door after her, coming back into the living room and collapsing on the couch next to Peter, sighing heavily.

“Bad surprise?” he asked her worriedly. She smiled at him and shifted on the couch, curling up in a ball and leaning her head contentedly against his shoulder, much to his surprise and immense pleasure.

“Wonderful surprise,” she told him happily. “Just … tiring!”

“Well, the Brody girls have a way of taking it right out of you,” he joked – and a moment later he wished he hadn’t bothered, as she smacked him over the back of the head with a cushion before settling back into her catlike position across his body.

“Jules booked us a spa weekend,” she explained quietly. “She wants to take me away for a couple of days; have a girly holiday. That’s what she gave me for my birthday.”

“Oh …” Peter’s heart sank. He missed her already. “Well, that’s good – I mean, it’ll be good for you to get out more than you have been; to spend some time with Julie and Lucy again. I know you must have missed them lots, being stuck here for weeks.”

“If you say the phrase ‘stuck here’ one more time, so help me God …” she laughed.

“Clare,” Peter said, not laughing now. “Come on. You’re going, right?”

“Well, I feel like I kind of have to. She is my sister; Lucy’s my niece. And whether I like it or not, they expect me to see them. They can’t quite understand that my priorities are different now. It’s hard for them too.”

“Priorities?” Peter repeated. “What do you mean, your priorities are different now?”

“Oh, come on,” Clare said, looking up at him. “You know this is where I want to be. I want to make sure you’re all right. But they don’t understand that, and …”

“Look, I’m not angry,” he consoled her, and he meant it. He wasn’t angry. He just missed her when she wasn’t around. “You should go – have fun! You deserve it.” And he made to get up and tidy up some of the mess they had managed to make with Julie.

“No, leave it,” she said, not budging from her spot nestled in beside him. “It can wait. Just … I don’t want to sort it yet.”

Peter sat back on the couch, putting an arm around her shoulder. She let out a soft, peaceful sigh and closed her eyes, her breathing slow and rhythmic.

“Just stay here,” she said softly. “Just … just stay.” He was a little surprised by her manner: this wasn’t typical Clare; but who was he to judge? All that mattered to him was being with her; he didn’t care how or when. And this was perfect. He pulled her closer into his body and closed his own eyes, and then they just lay there, until eventually they fell asleep wrapped in one another’s arms, blissful and right.

And no, this is not the end of the fic lol!!! My cliffy is being saved for the next chapter :P Enjoy!

Aww, that was such a sweet chapter. Finally some loving that they both deserved. That was really good, Ali. I think my favourite part was when she smacked him over the head with the pillow. He totally deserved it, in some ways.

Update soon, altho remind me not to read it until you post the chapter after the cliffhanger. :P

Archived