Behind Closed Doors

Guest allibaz91

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just want to apologise to everyone that I haven't updated - I have a test tomorrow and I haven't had time to finish my editing! But I really do plan on updating tomorrow or the next day at the absolute latest :)

No woories.... Tests are important lol

We can wait because we know its worth waiting for :D

Sorry everyone for the delay - but the next chapter is FINALLY finished! Hope all my fave readers havent gotten bored of waiting yet :P

Chapter 14

The next few days passed more slowly than anything – Peter loved Clare; of course he did; but she just would not give him five minutes alone! He needed to get this surprise organised – and soon, or the birthday plan would be out the window, and he’d have to find another excuse for it. But the only way she would leave him alone would be to sleep, and even then she kept the phone by her bed! She was beautiful, brilliant, and everything else he could ever want, but by God she was annoying sometimes!

But finally, about nine o’clock that night, going by the weather (he had gotten quite good at judging the time by the amount of daylight, he was discovering) his prayers were answered. She knocked softly and came into his room, smiling shyly.

“Hey …” she said, sitting down on the bed. “Did you get any rest this afternoon?”

“Uh, yeah, a little,” he lied. Any time he closed his eyes recently, all he saw was a vision of them together in the city, before he had blown it all. Oh, what an idiot he was …

“Well, I hate to do this, but we’re running low on a couple of things, so I think now it’s dark I should nip out and stock up, if you think you’ll be all right,” Clare said.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine,” he said, a little too quickly. She raised her eyebrows suspiciously.

“Okay, I knew something was going on the other night,” she reminded him, “and now you’re far too keen to get rid of me for my liking. What exactly is it you’re hiding?”

“I’ve told you, there’s nothing! You never used to be this cynical, you know.”

“Oh, now we both know that’s just not true. Well, much as I distrust you right now, I do have to go out while it’s dark. Some mad notion of Sam’s about keeping this as low-key as possible. There’s a 24-hour store about ten minutes away – think you can keep yourself out of trouble for about forty minutes if I run up there?” Peter smiled innocently.

“I’ll try my very hardest,” he promised her. She grinned, as though she couldn’t help it.

“Well, you might need this, then.”

And she placed her cell phone on his bedside table. There really was a God!

“Sam said he might phone, but I don’t want to deal with him when I’m out in public. If he calls just let him know where I am, and I’ll call him back in the morning, yeah?”

“You can count on me, boss,” Peter joked, suddenly much more upbeat. Clare seemed to sense this, as she looked unnerved for some reason and looked him up and down.

“Now I’m really worried,” she informed him. “But I don’t have a choice right now, so …”

“So, in other words you’ll just have to trust me when I say I’m not up to anything?”

“I don’t even like it from your mouth, never mind admitting it to myself! Are you positive you don’t need anything before I go? Something to drink, medication …?

“Would you go already?” he teased her. “The sooner you leave, the sooner you can come back and make sure I haven’t thrown any wild parties while you’ve been away.”

“That’s encouraging,” Clare said sarcastically. “Okay, well, I’ll be as quick as I can.”

“I’ll be here,” Peter said disdainfully, glancing around at those four walls yet again. She gave him a reassuring smile, seeming satisfied, and left the room.

Finally, he was alone – and what was more, he had the phone! Now how to use it? He knew who he wanted to contact – Clare’s sister, Julie – but he didn’t have her number. Clare hadn’t spoken to her in years, and wasn’t allowed to, thanks to Sam and his extreme paranoia of late. So her number wasn’t saved in the phone memory. Peter made an excruciated face as he called the only person who could help him.

It rang once; twice; three times. Then, a voice on the other end of the crackling line.

“Hello?” said Sam Murphy, sounding irritated. And no wonder. He didn’t hand out his private line number to just anyone – and it was late for him to be working.

“Sam?” Peter said, and his voice was hoarse to his own ears. He heard the sound of something hitting the floor – either a pen, or Sam’s jaw, he guessed.

“Peter?!” Murphy asked, stunned. “How did you – I mean, who …? What is it?”

“Nice to speak to you too, mate,” Peter said, more snappily than he’d intended. “I just needed to … well, to be honest, I need a favour from you, and it needs to be now.”

“Why am I not surprised?” Sam muttered, and Peter felt rage boiling inside him. What right did his so-called mate have to be annoyed at him, anyway? If anything, he should have been being extra-nice; apologising and begging for forgiveness! After all he had done to him; dumping him in this hellhole, after he had told him flat-out he didn’t want anything to do with this stupid plan! And Sam was angry with him?!

“Listen here,” Peter said, struggling to keep his own temper, “you have screwed me over something rotten, and you know it! Now I know you far too well to expect any sort of remorse, or regret, but you owe me big time, and I don’t appreciate being treated like some sort of pain in your behind just because you don’t want to face up to that!”

Silence on the end of the line. Peter felt strangely pleased; almost relieved – he had needed to get that off of his chest since Clare had told him about this new arrangement.

And this was the perfect way to get what he wanted out of his former boss and former friend …

Only a few moments later, Peter found himself pressing the ‘Call’ button once more. It only rang once before somebody picked up the phone at the other end. He gulped.

“Hi, Julie? It’s Peter Baker …”

Enjoy!! :D :D :D

Archived