Behind Closed Doors

Guest allibaz91

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol this is a new plan :P

Yeah I'm up for joint fics with you guys, or one with all three of us, whatever lol!!

2 points:

1. Thanks again for the lovely comments, guys! :D

2. Sarah_Lewis, where did this Alli belly thing come from?! :P Tis random lol!

Long-ish one this time!! Lil, try not to die of a heart attack :P

Chapter 20

“What d’you reckon, then?” Lucy asked Peter as she opened cupboard doors. He was leaning against the battered cabinet, watching her in the kitchen. He shrugged.

“I really don’t mind,” he said, meaning it. “Honestly, it is completely up to you.”

“But I hate making decisions!” she moaned childishly. “It’s too much like hard work!”

“Oh, what a difficult life you lead,” he teased her, and she stuck her tongue out.

“Come on, just choose!” she ordered him. “Beans on toast or scrambled eggs?!”

“Lucy, neither of those constitutes a healthy dinner, you do realise this?”

“Yes, Sherlock, but I’m not going shopping until tomorrow, so this is the choice!”

“In that case, would you choose one and stop whinging?” Peter replied, laughing. She raised her eyebrows, looking jokingly offended, and slammed a cupboard door.

“You’re going to pay for that,” she informed him, and walked slowly towards him, not blinking or lifting her eyes from his face.

She wasn’t kidding, Peter realised, recognising that determined look he found so endearing on Clare’s face. It wasn’t so endearing any more – frightening, to be honest! He backed slowly out of the room and darted behind the sofa in the living room. Lucy didn’t stop, but kept heading his way with that twisted yet comical smirk on her face. He grabbed one of the cushions from the sofa in front of him and flung it at her.

“Stay away, I’m armed,” he threatened. She raised one eyebrow – why was it every woman in that family was so damn good at that? – and picked up the pillow.

“Well so am I,” she replied, and proceeded to whack him in the arm with it.

He laughed and threw it back at her, so she grabbed an armful of cushions off the sofa nearest her and started to attack him with them. After a few minutes of this, he was really enjoying himself – he had forgotten how much fun it was to have younger people around to have a laugh with. He dodged another flying missile, ducked around the side of the sofa and swung her off her feet, tickling her, laughing. She squealed aloud.

“Uncle Pete, if you don’t put me down this instant!” she cried, giggling hysterically.

“I’m not your uncle!”

“Hey, I was told that we were to be on best behaviour!” Lucy laughed, clutching at straws in her attempts to get him to stop. He saw right through her, and laughed.

“And who’s going to know either way?” he retorted. She let out a frustrated scream and kicked out madly with her legs, missing him by a mile, until she eventually got irritated with him and punched him in the arm, not knowing he had burns on it. He drew in his breath, shocked at how tender the skin still was, and let her go quickly. She looked at him, clearly puzzled.

“Jesus, I didn’t hit you that hard! What a baby,” she taunted him. He just shot her a look and rubbed the sore arm for a few moments. She began to look really worried.

“Hey, are you – are you serious?” she asked anxiously. “I mean, I thought we were just joking around, I honestly didn’t mean to – how could I have hurt you?!”

“It wasn’t your fault,” Peter said heavily, straightening up. “You didn’t know.”

“Didn’t know what?” Lucy demanded. “I swear, if you’re just trying to trick me …”

“It’s not a trick,” he told her, and took off his jumper.

His white t-shirt (sticking to him because of all that ‘exercise’ – ew!) had short enough sleeves that she could see his burns clearly now. She let out a gasp of horror and grabbed him around the wrist, examining his arm, looking shocked.

“Oh, my God …” she said, and her voice broke. “I’m so sorry – Clare never said …”

“No, don’t worry about it,” Peter insisted, feeling bad for her. “It’s okay now, it was just shock, or something. I didn’t realise how tender they still were.”

“What happened?” asked Lucy, looking at him. He was taken aback. For once she wasn’t messing around or winding him up – she looked genuinely concerned. This, more than anything else, touched him, and he smiled weakly and gave her a nudge.

“Don’t you worry about me, all right? I’m the grown-up here, or had you forgotten?”

“No, but … well, I didn’t think you’d get hurt by a seventeen-year-old girl! What happened to you? And don’t say nothing, or I’ll hit you again, and this time I’ll mean it.”

“Oh, you are definitely a Brody girl,” Peter muttered, and Lucy snorted with laughter.

“Well, get used to it,” she told him. “And come sit down, and tell me why your arm’s busted.”

Peter rolled his eyes as they sat down on opposite sofas, and she looked at him.

“You didn’t hear why I’m in this dive?” he asked her, genuinely surprised.

“Witness protection, yeah,” she said, rolling her eyes. “But that doesn’t explain the third-degree burns on your arm, which haven’t been properly treated, by the way.”

“How would you know?” he scoffed, not taking her seriously for a second.

“Because, numb nuts, I happen to be top in my Biology class. So spill.”

“You heard about the Summer Bay Stalker, right?” Peter asked, not wanting to go into a detailed explanation about the entire case.

“Oh my God!” Lucy screeched. “Clare told me about the explosion – you were in that?!”

“Uh, yeah …” Peter was surprised Clare had mentioned it at all. “Well, that’s how I got the burns and stuff. And there’s some bad scarring on my chest, too.”

“Man, that sucks! I can’t believe that – you should be dead! I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m glad you’re not – really glad you’re not, but you’re lucky!”

“Yeah, I know I am,” Peter started, but stopped in his tracks when he saw that Lucy had tears pouring down her cheeks. He felt a wave of pity for her, and went over to sit next to her. He put an arm around her and gave her shoulder a squeeze.

“Hey, come on …” he said gently. “Don’t cry. What’s the matter?”

“I just … I don’t even know!” she exclaimed, sniffling. “I don’t want you to freak.”

“I’m not going to ‘freak,’” he promised. “I’m just worried about you. What is it?”

“Well, I know it sounds crazy, but … my dad died when I was three years old,” Lucy said, clearing her throat. “And when I was growing up, you and Clare were always together. I know it’s corny, and stupid, but … that’s why I always call you Uncle Pete. You’ve been the only male role model I’ve ever had. I know you’re not my dad, or whatever, but you’re the closest thing I’ve got. And it scares me that you could’ve died, and I wouldn’t have known about it. I’d miss you.”

Peter was stunned. He then smiled and squeezed her extra tight and ruffled her hair affectionately. She wasn’t such a bad kid, really, he thought. Just misunderstood.

“Look, you know how important Clare is to me,” he said. “I’m not allowed to admit it, but you do know, and I know you know, and you know I know you know!” Lucy giggled.

“Well, that’s certainly true,” she said, still sniffing a little.

“And as far as I’m concerned, Clare’s family are as important to me as my own. And I honestly do think you’re a good kid – even if you are a little mental!”

“As if my dearest aunt isn’t mental?” she shot back, sounding like herself again.

“My point is, I’ll always be there for you, if you need me,” Peter told her. “No matter what it’s for. Nobody deserves to feel alone. And you’re not alone. Okay?”

“Thanks, Uncle Pete,” Lucy smiled, and she gave him a hug. And this time, he realised, he didn’t mind her calling him that. In fact, he quite liked the sound of it.

“Now let’s get moving,” he said wiping away the last of her tears. “Those beans on toast aren’t going to make themselves!” Lucy laughed aloud and shook herself, and then smiled bravely. He grinned after her as she went into the kitchen. Not such a bad kid at all.

Enjoy! :D

Awww, that was just the cuteness!

I loved the humour at the beginning, really great.

That was really brave of Pete to show the burns. And THAT's whys he calls him Uncle Pete!

Awesome update! It was worth the wait! :)

Lol wow, thanks guys!!

Sorry to make you wait so long - I'll update ASAP lol!

Yeah that's why she calls him that - and I had you all thinking it was just cause she liked to wind him up :P Not that she doesn't enjoy it lol!

Hope the attempted humour isn;t too terrible lol - I'm not great at it! i'm better at writing emotional scenes lol, in case you hadn't noticed :P

I really appreciate everyone's lovely comments, as usual! Thanks!! :D :D :D

Still so random!!! :lol:

That's fine with me lol - I'll do a separate one with Jen as well lol :D (if she still wants to!)

Thanks very much for the comment!! :D

Umm well I'll maybe PM you about the fic ..... unless you have msn? Oh well, I'll PM you anyway - thanks again! :D

Archived