Behind Closed Doors

Guest allibaz91

It's so obvious why she loves it. She's even promoting it on MSN. She practically asked me to read it. :lol:

What can I say? I was this close to crying. That's how good it actually was. Loving the Lucy/Pete interaction. Somehow, hopefully, he'll know how to deal with Drew now that he can deal with Lucy. The Brody girls certainly do love throwing pillows at him, that's for sure.

My favourite part was when Lucy called him Uncle Pete. It was brilliant. Great chapters, Ali. :D

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol thanks so much everyone!! :D

Lol yeah I noticed she was promoting me on MSN in her name lol - how very thoughtful of her, but also a little strange :blink: Lol just kidding Lil!! :P

I didn't mean to make anybody cry lol! Oops, my bad :blush: But I guess I'm flattered that I got a reaction out of you guys lol (Lil was nearly crying too :P)

Thanks again everyone - I'll update as soon as I get a chance to, promise!!

And Sarah_Lewis, don't bully me!! Lil does it enough for everybody else!

Lol thanks so much everyone!!

Lol yeah I noticed she was promoting me on MSN in her name lol - how very thoughtful of her, but also a little strange :blink: Lol just kidding Lil!!

I didn't mean to make anybody cry lol! Oops, my bad :blush: But I guess I'm flattered that I got a reaction out of you guys lol (Lil was nearly crying too :P)

Thanks again everyone - I'll update as soon as I get a chance to, promise!!

And Sarah_Lewis, don't bully me!! Lil does it enough for everybody else!

I don't bully!!!! lol

Least I keep the insperation going :P

Sorry for the late update again everybody!

Chapter 23

By about eight o’clock that night, both Peter and Lucy were more than in the mood for a movie-fest. She had gone out to collect the films, which worried him, and some food, which worried him more. Not only had she refused to let him have a say in what films she was renting, she had held her shopping list as close to the vest as though it were a baby. Which only made him more nervous about what she was going to buy! As if he could even eat right now. They had stuffed themselves at lunch – a backyard barbecue, Baker style.

And Baker-style, meant burnt. Normally. Especially if Dan was cooking! But for once Peter had managed to get the timing pretty much spot-on – not a single burnt sausage, and it all tasted pretty good too, if he did say so himself! He couldn’t believe Lucy was still hungry. That girl could put away more food than he could now, although maybe not as much as when he was her age. But then, he reminded himself, laughing, she was Clare’s niece, after all! She was the only person he knew who ate more than he did. And still looked absolutely gorgeous for it.

Just then, the door banged and Lucy arrived back, carrying a video store bag and three supermarket bags. He laughed aloud and helped her carry a few of them through to the kitchen, where she tipped her massive feast of ‘munch’ onto the table.

“Get enough junk food?” Peter asked her, taking in the mountain of crisps, chocolate, biscuits, fizzy juice and other random items of unhealthy food that had just taken up residence on his kitchen table. In response she pulled another tube of sweets from her jacket pocket and threw it on the heap.

“Meh,” she shrugged. “This was all they had that I really liked. I can go for more …”

“Don’t you dare!” he laughed. “Come on, what films have you rented?”

“Well, I got ten …” she started, and before she could finish he was in fits again.

“How late exactly do you think we’ll be up tonight, Luce?” he chuckled.

“As late as we can before either one of us passes out,” she replied, sticking her tongue out. She then emptied the video store bag onto a chair, and he rifled quickly through the pile of movies.

“Chick flick, chick flick, chick flick …” he muttered. “Boring … chick flick … hey!” He grabbed a film from the pile, looking stunned. “You like this film?!”

“Who doesn’t like that film?” she replied, flipping her hair. “You have the hot bad guys, the obligatory prison scene, the good-cop-bad-cop routine, and a detective who is totally great at what he does but you can tell in his personal life, he’s a total soft touch.”

“Well I don’t know many seventeen-year-old girls who’d be into ‘The Usual Suspects.’”

“Well I don’t know many real-life detectives who remind me so much of the guy in that film,” Lucy giggled, unwrapping a bar of chocolate and taking a large bite. “Wanna bit?” she asked with her mouth full.

“No, thanks,” he said, looking away from the sight of the mangled melting chocolate rolling around in her mouth. “I’d rather keep my health, or at least what’s left of it.”

“Spoilsport,” she said teasingly, grabbing a very girly film from the pile. “And we can watch this one first! Hmm, now tell me – have you ever seen ‘Pretty In Pink’?”

“I’m ashamed to admit that I have,” he grunted. “Thanks to your Aunt Clare, of course.”

“I knew she was my favourite aunt for a reason!” Lucy taunted him. He rolled his eyes.

“Could be something to do with the fact that she’s your only aunt?”

“Some of my mother’s stepbrothers are married. But none of them like me very much.”

Peer scoffed and lifted an armful of junk, along with a couple of glasses from the cupboard for the juice she had bought. He led the way into the living room and she followed him carrying the pile of films, delicately balanced with another bag of crisps on top.

“This should be a great night!” Lucy said cheerfully, and Peter rolled his eyes.

“Oh, yeah, chick flick marathon,” he replied. “You can tell how riveted I am, can’t you?”

“Well, you knew when you sent me to choose the films, that I was going to pick the kinds of films I wanted to watch, so really it’s your fault!”

He opened his mouth to reply indignantly, but was saved the bother by the phone ringing. He shot her a ‘this-isn’t-over’ look before dropping the food on the sofa and answering.

“Hello?” he asked unsurely – not many people had this number, and despite how annoyed he still was with Sam, he was right about being as careful as possible.

“Hey, you,” came Clare’s familiar voice, and he felt a wave of happiness wash over him.

“Hey yourself,” he replied, and Lucy rolled her eyes and left the room none-too-subtly, muttering something in French which Peter understood to mean she still suspected something was going on between him and Clare.

“So how’s everything going there, then?” Clare asked, and Peter half-laughed.

“Uh, yeah, pretty good,” he said honestly. “Nothing I can’t handle, at any rate.”

“Oh, check you out, uncle of the year,” she teased him, and he laughed, even though it wasn’t that funny. He was just so glad to hear her voice again. He must be mad.

“Well, she’s not as bad as you might think, when you catch her on a good day.”

“I’ll take your word for that,” Clare said. “Now listen, we’re coming back tomorrow afternoon, did you remember?” Did he remember? It was what had been keeping him going since about twenty seconds after she had even left, that was all!

“Yeah, it had crossed my mind,” he said, and it was her turn to laugh.

“Well, let Lucy know we’ll be back around three, so she’s ready to go. Julie has a few things she needs to get done, so they’ll need to leave almost right away.”

“Oh, what, you mean I’ve to deal with you alone? Full on,” he joked.

“I hope that’s a joke, or I may have to come after you with my trusty pillow!”

“No, it was a joke. I can’t wait to see you again, you know,” Peter told her.

“Yeah, I know,” said Clare. “I can’t wait to see you either. I’ve missed you like crazy.”

“You have?” he asked. It wasn’t so much that he was surprised, but he just loved hearing her say it. After so long apart, knowing that she cared so much … it made him so happy.

“Yeah, of course I have,” she said, and he could tell she was smiling. “You know I have.”

“Well, I hoped so, anyway,” he admitted, smiling pretty broadly himself.

“Anyway, I’d better go, Julie and I are having a late dinner,” Clare said, clearing her throat. “But I’ll see you tomorrow around three, okay?”

“Yeah, I’m looking forward to it,” he replied. “Love you.”

“Okay, see you then. Love you too.”

And Clare hung up. Peter looked at the phone in his hand blankly. Had she just said that? She must have. But Clare was always so careful about her emotions; she rarely let anybody in, and not this fast. He heard the door close behind him, and turned around. Lucy was standing there watching him, eyebrows raised and smirking.

“’Love you'?”

Enjoy, and please review! :D

Archived