Behind Closed Doors

Guest allibaz91

Sorry for the delay, again! :(

Chapter 24

“Uh, when did you come back into the room?” Peter asked, clearing his throat.

“Just in time to hear you announcing you’re in love with my aunt. Now spill. Everything.”

“Don’t know what you’re talking about,” he lied, lifting up the film and putting it in the machine. Lucy scoffed loudly, and when he looked at her she raised one eyebrow.

“It’s not like I didn’t guess it anyway,” she pointed out. “So you might as well just give up this stupid act, accept the fact that I know, and tell me when the wedding is.”

“Oh, would you knock it off?!” he laughed, slumping back on the sofa again.

Lucy also giggled and sat down opposite him, stretching out, quite at home now.

“So when did you guys actually get back together?” she asked conversationally.

“When did who get back together?” he shot back, refusing to give in. She moaned, although he saw her try not to laugh, and she threw a chocolate at him, which he somehow managed to catch in his mouth. She chuckled and applauded him sarcastically, and he took a mock bow. He couldn’t have done that if he’d tried to!

“Come on, Dad,” Lucy said, and Peter felt a small twinge in his heart. She could say it to him, but his own son couldn’t seem to bring himself to do the same. It wasn’t fair. But then, he reminded himself, if Lucy could call him it, he must be doing something right. And maybe Drew would see that one day too.

“You know Clare’s better for me than my own mother is,” Lucy pleaded. “She might as well be my mum, as far as I’m concerned. And you’re like a dad to me; I’ve already explained that to you. What child of divorce doesn’t want their parents to get back together?”

“Child of divorce?!” Peter scoffed. “Oh, you are really taking the mickey here, Luce!”

“You know what I mean!” she said defensively. “I really care about both you guys, and I want for you to be happy. And it is so obvious that neither you or Clare is going to be happy again until you’re back together – which I suspect you already are.”

“Have you ever considered the possibility that you’re too suspicious for your own good?”

“And too smart for my own good, is what you really mean,” she supplied.

“Well, yeah, that too!” Peter admitted, thinking how like Clare she really was.

“So are you going to tell me, or do I have to drag it out of you?” she demanded.

“Oh, I would love just to watch you try and make me,” he scoffed, picking up a bar of chocolate and beginning to unwrap it. Then, to his shock, he felt something solid hit him in the side of the head. She had just thrown a bottle of juice at him!

“Are you out of your mind?!” he asked her, subbing his head where the glass had hit him. It was a miracle it hadn’t shattered! She must have seriously lost it …

“Oh my God!!” Lucy squealed. “I meant to grab the tube of Pringles, I wasn’t looking at what I was doing – are you okay?! Dad, I am so sorry!!” Peter rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, I’m fine …” he said, his anger subsiding. “Just don’t do it again, would you?!”

“Total accident,” she promised, looking upset. “Please, please don’t hate me!”

“Hate you?” he asked, puzzled. “Of course I don’t hate you – I mean, I might be in pain right now, but it was an honest mistake … sort of. I’m hardly going to hold it against you for the rest of your life!”

Much to Peter’s astonishment, Lucy burst promptly into tears. He moved to sit beside her and put his arm around her, holding her close to him, not sure what else to do.

“What’s the matter?” he asked her. “Come on. I know you didn’t mean to do it.”

“I just …” she sniffed loudly. “I just don’t get it. My mother still hasn’t forgiven me for spilling water on her dress when I was six! And it was a black dress – you couldn’t even see the stain, and it dried in about ten minutes! And then I do this to you, and you’re just going to let it drop like that! Why are you a better parent to me than she is?”

“Oh, Lucy … your mum does love you, you know,” Peter said. “She’s just not the best with showing how she feels. Believe me, I should know.”

“What do you mean, you should know?” asked Lucy, looking at him. He sighed.

“Well, when Clare and I first got together, Julie wasn’t exactly thrilled,” he confessed, ignoring Lucy’s surprised look. “She didn’t approve of me – thought her little sister was so perfect, and could do so much better … of course it turns out she was right. But at the time we thought we would be together forever, and Julie … she held a grudge against me for a very long time. Only after we broke up, did she forgive me. And when we got back together last year, she wasn’t the happiest about it, either. I don’t know why.”

“What a cow,” Lucy said, sniffling, and Peter chuckled and gave her a squeeze.

“Well, she is still your mother,” he reminded her. “And she loves you really. And somewhere, really deep down, you must love her too. Even if she gets to you sometimes.”

“I suppose …” she agreed, albeit rather reluctantly. Peter smiled, satisfied, and removed his arm from around her shoulder. Lucy seemed to be thinking for a moment.

“Dad?” she said, about thirty seconds later. He raised his eyebrows at her.

“What?” he asked, but not in a mean way. She bit her lip and smiled cheekily.

“It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world, if I moved in with you guys, would it?”

“Excuse me?!” Peter couldn’t believe what he was hearing. There was no way she could hate her life with Julie that much. Plus Julie would never forgive him!

“I’m serious,” she said pleadingly. “I hate living there! And I know she totally resents me for ruining her life because she’s told me so a million times! And you guys are like parents to me, I love you both so much …… just, think about it. Please?”

“Uh, well, I’ll talk to Clare when she gets back,” Peter finally said, trying his best to keep his answer vague and not get her hopes up. “But I can’t promise anything.”

“No, I know, but I appreciate you trying,” said Lucy, smiling. “So can we maybe put on a film now?! This marathon is going absolutely nowhere, as far as I can tell.”

“Fine by me,” he laughed. “But we’re starting with ‘The Usual Suspects.’”

“Anything for my favourite Dad,” she teased him, getting up and putting on the film. “If I fall asleep feel free to keep watching without me, by the way.”

“If I fall asleep feel free to turn it off and leave me in peace,” he retorted.

Lucy stuck out her tongue and pulled the blanket over from the other sofa where it had been left lying – Peter suspected – from the night he and Clare had fallen asleep in one another’s arms, but wouldn’t say so to Lucy. She wrapped it tight around her, and still shivered violently as she curled up at the other end of the sofa. Peter smiled.

“Here you go,” he said, and pulled his thick jumper over his head. Clare had left him with nothing but warm, comfortable clothes, probably because she didn’t trust him. Peter shoved the jumper on Lucy’s head, and she giggled and pulled it down, snuggling up inside it as it was several sizes too big for her. She shot him an extremely grateful smile.

“Better?” he asked her, leaning back on the sofa again, feeling suddenly tired.

“Much, thank you,” she said, smiling. “Thanks, Dad.”

“No problem,” he told her, and she shuffled along the sofa and rested her head in his lap, sighing peacefully.

“I always thought I was missing out on having my own dad around,” she told him. “But I reckon I lucked out. It means I got to choose you instead.” Peter felt a wave of love for her right then – all the kid really wanted was to be loved, to be cared for.

“Yeah, well, I don’t suppose you’re so bad yourself,” he said casually. She laughed.

“I mean it. I just … I do love you, Dad,” she said, catching him off guard. He was definitely not used to hearing that sentence from anyone! But he shook himself and smiled.

“Yeah,” he said, pressing the ‘Play’ key on the remote. “I love you too, Luce.”

Enjoy everyone!! :D

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised Lil didn't just die when Peter said, "I love you too, Luce." :P

Two absolutely fantastic chapters. She does have a knack for walking in half way of an important conversation. Just like Pete.

Awww, Lucy's so sweet. And, I totally reckon she's good for him in some ways especially when it comes to being a dad. Their scenes are so sweet. Makes you go all warm and fuzzy inside.

Aw, Clare loves Pete. You don't know how happy that made me, Ali.

Anyway, update soon. I want her to live with them. It's just too cute. The perfect family. :D

Clete rules. :D

Yay, finally had a chance to sit down and catch up on all the fics.

Omg, the last few updates were just soooo good. Loving the Peter/Lucy relationship. it's just so sweet and I'm glad that he cares about her.

:wub: Can't believe they said I love you on the phone how sweet was that!

Great writing, I really love it. Can't wait for the next update!

Sorry I havent updated in a while! But here's chapter 25, so enjoy! :)

Chapter 25

“How long until they get back?” Lucy asked nervously, shoving the last of her clothes into a bag. Peter checked his watch for what must have been the hundredth time that hour.

“About two hours,” he said, laughing. “Would you relax? She’s just your mother!”

“She’s just crazy, is what she is,” she replied. “I think I forgot my hairdryer!”

“You checked your bag for your hairdryer twice already!” Peter reminded her.

“Well … third time’s a charm!” she replied, and hurried off upstairs. He laughed after her.

Just then, the door banged, and much to his surprise he heard Clare calling out.

“Pete? Lucy! We’re back!” A moment later she appeared in the living room.

“Hey!” he said delightedly, so glad to see her again. “You’re early!”

“Peter!” She ran across the room, dropping her jacket, and embraced him happily. He laughed aloud and swung her around in the air, so glad to see her again. She then caught him totally off-guard – she moved out of his arms just a little and planted a massive kiss on him! She kissed him passionately for what felt like forever, and he responded happily, until there was a loud wolf-whistle, which caused them to spring apart.

“Luce, hey!” Clare said quickly, covering her embarrassment at seeing her sister and niece standing in the doorway. She hurried over and hugged Lucy, laughing.

“You guys are so totally sprung!” Lucy said delightedly, and Clare cleared her throat.

“No idea what you’re talking about,” she said. “You look great! Looks like this break did you as much good as it did Julie and me – doesn’t it, Jules?”

“Hmm, apparently,” said Julie, not sounding thrilled. Lucy rolled her eyes.

“Just because you aren’t getting any,” she snapped. Clare and Peter exchanged looks, and Julie looked both mortified and incensed.

“I don’t think this is any place to be having this discussion, Lucy,” she said warningly.

“Whatever,” retorted her daughter boredly. “If you insist on making me leave, can we just get it over with quickly? Then I can go home and … I don’t know, sleep or something.”

“Anybody would think you didn’t want to come home with your own mother.”

“Somebody get this woman a medal,” Lucy snapped. “Of course I don’t want to go!”

“Luce, I think you’d better calm down,” suggested Peter, hoping to keep the peace. But his efforts were for nothing, as Julie took the opportunity to round on him next.

“Oh, here we go,” she said. “Perfect Peter has to stick his oar in, as usual!”

Peter opened his mouth to retaliate, sensing Clare’s anger, but Lucy got in first.

“Hey!” she said defensively. “Don’t talk about Dad like that!”

“Dad?!” Julie screeched furiously, and Peter raised his hand to his head, sighing. Clare glanced over at him, and as he caught her eye, she mouthed: ‘Dad?’ Seeing as Julie’s attention was now focussed on Lucy, he felt safe in mouthing back: ‘Tell you later.’

“He said I could call him that,” Lucy said quietly. Julie was really mad now.

“Lucy, get your bags and wait in the car,” she said, not lifting her eyes from Peter’s face.

“But, Mum –”

“NOW!”

Lucy looked frightened and hurried out of the room, and a moment later they all heard the door slam. Peter saw her through the window, running to the car looking terrified, and he felt his own anger grow. She hadn’t even done anything wrong!

“What the hell is your problem?” he asked Julie angrily. Clare sighed heavily.

“My problem?!” Julie shouted. “My problem is that you’re corrupting my daughter – convincing her to act like you; give cheek – calling you Dad?! She is my daughter!”

“Yeah, she is your daughter, and you treat her like something you wiped off the bottom of your shoe! She’s too petrified of you to even say a bad word about you!”

“She shouldn’t be saying a bad word about me anyway! She should have respect!”

“What the hell kind of respect can she have for a mother who doesn’t even love her own child?”

“Peter!” Clare said, sounding scandalised, but he ignored her. This needed said.

“No, Clare,” he said. “Somebody has to make her see sense! She has an incredible daughter out there, a daughter who’s loving and funny and smart, and all she wants to do is shut her away from the world and bully her into submission! It’s wrong! No, strike that, it’s beyond wrong – it’s plain sick. She shouldn’t be allowed to be a parent.”

“Don’t you dare speak to me like that! It’s not like you’re father-of-the-year material!”

“Yeah well at least I try! You don’t give a damn about Lucy – all you care about is yourself, Julie, that’s all you’ve ever cared about! You’re afraid to get close to her because she reminds you too much of her father – well now she has nobody either!”

“All right, both of you cool it!” Clare snapped. “This is completely ridiculous! Jules, you do treat Luce completely unfairly, he’s right. Pete, don’t get too stressed over this.”

“And what would you have me do, Clare?” Julie yelled. “This is the parent I am, it’s how I’ve always raised her! I can’t just turn and change that now!”

“Then let us try,” Peter said suddenly.

The women fell silent. Clare looked at him, stunned. Julie’s eyebrows disappeared somewhere into the region of her widow’s peak, and when she spoke her voice shook.

“Let you try?” she said, almost hissing. “Let YOU try?!”

“Lucy asked me if she could move in with us,” Peter informed her. “She likes it here, she feels like she can relate to us. She trusts us. What’s so wrong with that?”

“You mean you’ve been plotting against me, is that what you’re telling me?”

“Oh, I think plotting is a bit excessive –” he began, but she interrupted him.

“You and my daughter out there reckon you’d be a better parent than me – a better role model, a better influence? You could handle her constant mood swings, her petty childish behaviour, her tantrums, her constant need to always be right?!” Julie shouted, her voice shaking more and getting louder with every syllable she said.

“Well we got along all right the past few days,” he said evenly. “Besides, if you resent her that much, surely it’s a good thing for you if she’s out of your hair for a while?”

Julie stepped forward, and before either Clare or Peter could stop her, she had given him a stinging slap across the face. Clare then slapped her sister angrily, before Peter had a chance to react. Julie took a few steps backwards towards the door, still trembling.

“If you think you’re getting anywhere near her again, you’d better think again!” she warned Peter, shooting a nervous glance at Clare, who had never hit her before.

“Is that a threat?” he asked her, rubbing his cheek lightly, as it was tingling.

“Damn right it is,” she said, and her voice broke. “Lucy will not be coming back here, and I’ll make sure you never get within a hundred yards of her. You’ll be sorry if you do. Stay the hell away from my daughter – and from me.” With that, Julie stormed from the room, and the door slammed behind her.

Archived