Behind Closed Doors

Guest allibaz91

Lol Chrissie, I do believe you're the only one to pick up on that :P Wasn't sure if anybody would .... yay! :D

I didn't actually come up with that name - I suck at that :P

Don't go feeling too sorry for Clare, mind you, she has plenty "moments" of her own coming up :ph34r:

Thanks again for reviewing, Chrissie and Janice - will update soon! :)

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally been able to catch up with all the updates. Brilliant as ever!

Gosh, Pete and Clare just say the sweetest things to each other, I was like "Awwww" at the end of every chapter. This Natalie person seems very suss. She better not ruin any cuteness! Great writing!

Okay, have loads of hw at the moment and exams are looming, so the next chapter isn't quite finished yet :blush:

However, here's a small teaser :)

“Pete, come on,” Clare laughed. “The taxi’s waiting to take us to the hotel.”

“See you later, kid,” he chuckled as Nicholas ran off, happy as could be. Natalie shot him a fleeting smile on her way after her boys. He watched her leave suspiciously. Clare caught him looking, and grinned, and grabbed him by the arm, laughing.

“You’d better stop eyeing up other women, or I will hurt you,” she informed him.

Alli, I can't believe it's taken me this long to find this fic! It's awesome. :D It's seriously SO good. :D I've never been a huge fan of Pete/Clare on the show, but you make them so likeable and sweet in this.

So, that said, Natalie better not be out to cause trouble for them - even though I have a horrible feeling that she is. :(

Aw wow, thanks loads Jess :D

Finally getting a chance to update :P

Chapter 31

“Okay, this is the hotel I’m staying at – call me, we’ll do lunch!” Natalie said cheerfully as they all left the airport together. Peter watched as Nicholas struggled with his brothers for a turn of the toy police car. He was beginning to regret handing it over now.

“Sounds great,” Clare said to Natalie, and they began saying a cheerful farewell. Peter grinned and opened up his on-flight bag, and signalled Nicholas.

“Come here,” he said quietly, while Jason and Paul fought over the car. “Here.”

“Wow …” Nicholas’ angelic little face lit up as Peter handed him the second of the toy cars, which had lain unwrapped in the bag the whole flight. He grinned.

“Keep that one hidden from those two, all right?”

“Pete, come on,” Clare laughed. “The taxi’s waiting to take us to the hotel.”

“See you later, kid,” he chuckled as Nicholas ran off, happy as could be. Natalie shot him a fleeting smile on her way after her boys. He watched her leave suspiciously. Clare caught him looking, and grinned, and grabbed him by the arm, laughing.

“You’d better stop eyeing up other women, or I will hurt you,” she informed him.

“As if anybody even comes close to you,” he replied, and kissed her passionately in the middle of the airport. She kissed him back for a few minutes, then broke away.

“Come on,” she said, smiling. “I want to see this city!”

“I swear to love you for all eternity if you do it,” Clare pleaded with him. He just laughed.

“Oh, come on, we both know you’ll love me for all eternity either way, so why bother?”

“Because I’m asking you to,” she said, pouting. He rolled his eyes.

“I don’t like heights,” he admitted, looking away. Clare looked mildly surprised.

“First I’ve heard of it,” she said, looking at him. “You never said anything before.”

“I was ashamed,” he said quietly. “I mean, I’m a cop. I’m supposed to be brave. I’m not meant to have a phobia as stupid as that.”

Clare turned his face towards her and kissed him lovingly, and smiled reassuringly.

“Pete, I can’t believe you’d be embarrassed over something like that …” she said softly. “You know you can always tell me anything. I didn’t realise. I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault – it’s mine,” he said insistently. “But … come on. Let’s go.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Well, I have to conquer this fear sometime, right? Might as well do it with you.”

“Pete, you really don’t have to –” Clare told him, but he silenced her.

“I want to. Come on,” he said, and taking her hand, he dragged her over to the queue.

“I never thought I’d be on the London Eye with someone who’s afraid of heights,” Clare laughed about ten minutes later as their pod climbed slowly towards the top.

“Don’t. Talk. About. Heights,” Peter replied through gritted teeth. He was trying his best to concentrate on not looking out at all – which proved difficult, he found, considering almost the entire pod was made of glass. ‘The things we do for love …’ he thought.

“I reckon I owe you one for this,” she smiled, taking his hand and pulling him close to her. He tried to smile, but was well aware that he was failing miserably.

“If you hate heights this much, you really didn’t have to do it,” Clare said, sounding upset. Peter smiled a little more warmly and kissed her. He didn’t want her feeling bad.

“No, I did have to,” he insisted. “And I’m glad to be with you. I mean, I don’t …” He trailed off quite suddenly. Clare looked at him, seeming worried, but his attention was focussed elsewhere. Down on the ground directly below them, to be precise.

“Pete?” Clare’s voice seemed far away. All he could concentrate on was Natalie. What was she doing there? And where were the boys? She must have followed them there!

“Peter!” Clare sounded really worried now, as he was jolted back to reality by the sound of her sweet voice. He shook himself roughly, and tried again to smile.

“Sorry,” he said. “Just got a bit distracted … you know, trying not to look down.”

“Are you sure that’s all this is? Because you’ve been funny with me the whole way here. Remember you’re the one that booked this holiday, Pete. If you didn’t want to come, I’d hate for you to do it just to try and make me happy.”

“I want to do anything that does make you happy,” he told her. “And I wanted to come. I just … I don’t know, there was that whole Natalie business, and the height thing …”

“This Natalie thing again?” she sounded exasperated with him. “Look, I don’t know what it is about her you hate so much, but I got on really well with her!”

“I’m telling you, she was shooting us weird looks the whole flight, okay?”

“I think you’re being just a tad paranoid, you know that?”

“Clare, the woman is acting extremely suspiciously. I know you think I’m overreacting, but in all seriousness, I really do not trust her. Can’t you trust me on this?”

“You know I trust you!” She sounded hurt.

Peter sighed and hugged her tight, stealing a glance below. She was still there.

“I’m sorry, okay? I just … I don’t want her trying to come between us, that’s all.”

“That would never happen,” Clare assured him. “I love you, and nobody, Natalie or anybody else, is ever going to spoil that. We’re solid, right?”

“Right,” he agreed, and they kissed lovingly. Clare pulled out of his arms, smiling.

“Coming to look at the cathedral and the river?” she teased him. He laughed.

“You go look – I’m going to sit down in the middle,” he grinned. She chuckled and went to the other side of the pod to look at the view.

Once she was safely out of earshot, Peter pulled out his cell phone and dialled an international line, back home. The phone rang a few times, as he kept one eye on Clare and the other on Natalie. The other end picked up.

“Hey, Sam, it’s me,” he said quietly, watching the two women. “Yeah, I need you to do me a favour …”

Cheers Lil, Abi and Janice :D

Exams start 2 weeks today :( So my writing hasn't gone far, am only about halfway through this next chapter. But here's a teaser :)

And the icing on the cake was, no word from Natalie. Clare hadn’t mentioned her again, and that was fine with him. He still didn’t trust the woman as far as he could throw her, despite the fact that his lover was determined to see the best in everyone. But then again, if it weren’t for that quality of hers, he would’ve lost her for good, he thought.

:)

Archived