Behind Closed Doors

Guest allibaz91

Lmao good guesses, guys - but I'm keeping schtum :ph34r:

I'll decide who gets a prize the day before I leave for my holiday, and they can think of what prize they want while I'm away :)

Anyway, Janice, I know it's unfair :P That's why I'm afraid for my life once Lil and Chrissie get a hold of me :unsure:

And thanks so much for the feedback, Jess and Janice! :D

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, talk about intense. I rbought back memories of 4296 I tell you. :wub:

That was brilliant. It had me on the edge of my seat. Btw, I thought you said LAT? I'm confused.

But, I personally will have to agree with Jess about Clare, Nat and Sam coming in the nick of time..

Three people:

1) Dennis Gillan

2) Peter Baker who is unconscious, not dead. [if you killed him, well, good luck to you, really. :P ]

3) I suspect that it's probably one of the three. Heck, maybe it's Sam. Or, it could be Clare.... I'll get back to you on that but that's what I think anyway.

It was a really awesome fic and you wrote it so well. :D

He could only recognise one of them – Peter Baker! He stepped back from the window in shock.

“What the hell happened here?” he muttered ………

^^ Janice....... basically the sig means have they lost Peter for good?

Because he is at the barn and he is reconised as one of them on the floor.

Changed my mind - something better to leave you all with before I go :P

Chapter 36!!! :lol: !!

Peter coughed and rolled over, looking around him blearily. There were paramedics and policemen buzzing around everywhere. There was one body bag lying zipped up next to him – he himself was lying on a stretcher. And the majority of the ambulance crew were fussing around a second stretcher, upon which another person was lying. A woman, by the look of it. He sat up, his head pounding, and blinked several times. What had happened? The last thing he remembered was struggling over the gun with Dennis, and then everything was a blank.

How did the woman come to be there? he wondered vaguely. Then suddenly he sat up with a jolt. Why would any women be there, except Clare?! He brushed off the paramedic who had just arrived to check him over, leapt off the stretcher and ran across the room. He couldn’t see her face, but his heart sank as one of the policemen shifted and he caught a glimpse of blonde hair stained horribly with blood. He pushed through the others determinedly, and then finally he saw her. He drew in his breath sharply.

“Lucy!” he shouted out. Everyone in the room turned to stare at him, but he didn’t care. He grabbed her hand – ice cold. The paramedics all exchanged glances.

“You know her?” one of them asked him, as he struggled to fight back the tears.

“Is she dead?!” he demanded, ignoring the other man’s question.

“No, not dead, but fighting damn hard,” the man told him. “You her father?”

“Uh, well …” Peter only hesitated for a moment. “Yeah. Yeah, I’m her father.”

“How did this happen, then?” asked one of the cops, coming up behind him and clamping a hand over his shoulder gruffly. Peter shrugged the hand off and bent over Lucy again.

“Come on, Luce, don’t give up on me,” he whispered desperately.

“Peter!” He looked up as Harper came puffing over towards him. “Pete, what the hell?”

“I don’t know, Harper!” he snapped. “You tell me – you’ve been conscious!”

“I arrived and you two were knocked out – she’s taken a bullet to the chest. And Gillan was dead. We recovered the guns, too.” That took a moment to register.

“Guns??” Peter repeated. “As in, plural? Gillan only had one gun on him, Harper.”

“We know that,” Harper told him. “The other one was lying next to her.”

Peter stepped back from Lucy in shock. He looked at Harper again for an explanation.

“Best we can figure it, you were knocked out, he was going to shoot you, she shot him, but he got off one at her before he died,” Harper shrugged. “Any thoughts?”

“I, I don’t know …” Peter’s head was spinning. “I don’t remember. How is she?”

“She’s struggling,” the paramedic told him. “We’ll need to get her to hospital ASAP.”

“Wait – what about Drew?” Peter demanded suddenly. “Did you find him; is he okay?”

“He’s in shock but fine, last time I saw him,” Harper reassured the stressing Detective. “I left him at the roadside with Lara. Should I radio them in?”

“We’ll pick him up in the ambulance,” Peter said decisively. “Come on – if she needs a hospital, then why the hell are we all standing around? Let’s go!”

The paramedics looked a little bemused, but loaded Lucy’s stretcher into the ambulance outside quickly. Peter climbed in the back with her and slammed the door. As the sirens began to wail, his thoughts began to spin out of control. How on earth had Lucy come to be there? How and why did she have a gun with her? How was he supposed to tell Clare? What would Drew say, knowing he was still alive after all? He guessed he was about to find out, as the ambulance drew to a halt alongside Drew and Lara sitting at the roadside. He threw open the back door, and saw a look of shocked relief cross his son’s face.

“Drew, get in, I’ll explain on the way,” he said quickly. And thank God the kid was smart – he didn’t say a word, to Lara or otherwise, and clambered into the ambulance. The driver sped off at top speed, lights flashing and sirens blaring. Peter smiled encouragingly at Drew, and got the shock of his life when his son let out a sob and hugged him.

“I thought you were dead,” Drew said. Peter closed his eyes and hugged him back.

“I’m so sorry, mate,” he muttered. “I wish you’d never been dragged into this.”

“All that matters is you’re alive!” sobbed the distraught teen. “I don’t even understand – how are you alive; who’s she?”

“Uh, she’s … I’ll explain later,” Peter said, thinking that now wasn’t the time. Drew half-laughed and leaned forward, burying his head in his hands.

“Dad, I just … thank you,” he said hoarsely. “I mean, you know … for getting them to let me go, and all. I’d be dead right now if it weren’t for you. So … thanks.”

“Drew, you’re my son, all right?” Peter told him. “I’d never let anyone hurt you.”

“Yeah, I know,” Drew said, and managed a smile. Peter returned it weakly, and grasped Lucy’s hand again, watching her fight for her life.

“How is she?” Peter found himself asking the same question for about the hundredth time that night, as Rachel came out of theatre. She still didn’t seem to have gotten her head around him still being alive. She shot him a semi-bemused glance and then shook herself a little, before looking around at the small crowd of people now gathered in the corridor outside Lucy’s room. Clare, Julie, Sam, Natalie, Peter, Drew and Harper were all there, worrying obsessively over her condition – Peter and Clare more than Julie, seemingly, which made him sick to his stomach. Some mother, he thought angrily.

“She’s stable,” Rachel said, and a wave of relief swept through the group. Clare threw her arms around Peter, crying tears of extreme joy, and he held her tight. Julie, on the other hand, nodded, and otherwise didn’t move. Everyone else looked happier than her!

“She’ll need to stay in here for a couple of weeks,” Rachel cautioned them, “and when she gets out she’ll need a lot of looking after. But she’s okay, for the time being, providing there are no more complications with her condition.”

“Thank you,” Clare said gratefully. “When can we see her?”

“Well, she’s coming back from theatre, and we’ll need to check her vitals – maybe give me five or ten minutes? I’ll shout you when she’s ready for visitors.”

“Thanks, Rachel,” Peter said, as the others muttered amongst themselves.

“Pete, you may have a bigger problem to deal with,” she told him with her voice lowered. He raised his eyebrows, and she indicated over his shoulder. He looked around, and as Drew, Clare and everyone else followed his lead, the group fell silent.

“Dan …”

Lmao told you all would be revealed :ph34r:

Hope I gave you all a nice surprise!! :D

Archived