Behind Closed Doors

Guest allibaz91

Chapter 19

“Pete! So you know, Julie and Lucy will be here in ten minutes!” Peter groaned loudly as he made his way downstairs carrying Clare’s cases. She had told him not to, but he was determined on being a gentleman at least this once. He was really going to miss her.

“Oh, you didn’t have to bring those!” Clare appeared in the hall just as Peter got to the foot of the stairs and put down her bags. “You’re meant to be taking it easy.”

“Well, I’m feeling better lately,” he said honestly. “And I wanted to see you off.”

“You’re a big softie really, aren’t you?” she said, smiling bashfully.

“Don’t spread it around or anything,” he warned her. She laughed and hugged him tight.

“I’m going to miss you, you big goof,” she said into his shoulder. He half-laughed, not sure whether that was a compliment or an insult. He eventually decided on a bit of both.

“I’m going to miss you too,” Peter laughed. “But you won’t be gone that long.”

“Yeah, three days, a lifetime …” Clare replied sadly. “It’ll drag just as much either way.”

“Hey, you’ll appreciate me all the more when you get back,” he teased her.

“I appreciate you now!” she gasped, trying not to laugh, and shoved him playfully.

He laughed a little and kissed her forehead, stroking her blonde hair softly.

“Now you just try and have a good time,” he said more seriously. “After all the time you’ve spent looking after me, you deserve to get a little ‘R&R’. And that’s not a request!”

“Okay, okay,” she laughed, and leaned up and kissed him lovingly for what seemed like forever. When she eventually pulled away, she smiled wanly at him.

“You and Lucy behave,” she warned him. He rolled his eyes and kissed her again, but was interrupted by a horn outside, and a moment later, the door opening.

“Hey there Uncle Pete!” Lucy called out, not realising they were standing right there.

“Not your uncle,” Peter and Clare both chimed in unison, as Lucy dumped her bags inside the door and rolled her eyes at them. They shared a grin, causing her to whistle.

“Sorry, was I interrupting something?” she teased, giggling. Clare shot her a look.

“Nothing to interrupt,” she said sternly. “And you, be on your best behaviour!”

“Are you talking to me or to your boyfriend?” was Lucy’s reply. ‘Cheeky beggar!’ thought Peter, grinning to himself. Clare half-laughed and shook her head in mock despair.

“What boyfriend?!” she exclaimed rather loudly. Lucy just raised her eyebrows in an infuriatingly superior manner and smiled serenely.

“Play it however you want, Clare,” she said smugly.

Peter saw her begin to blush, so he took her arm and steered her towards the door.

“Right, come on, your sister’s waiting,” he said, laughing. She shot him a grateful smile as she picked up her bags and grabbed a coat from over the wooden banister.

“I’ll see you in a few days,” she said, hugging Lucy. “Try and find some common ground.”

“Common would be right,” Lucy said, sticking her tongue out at Peter. “Come on, Clare, what could we possibly have to talk about? The price of fish? Or maybe, you?”

“Well, I’m sure you both have views on how to raise a seventeen-year-old,” Clare said coolly, making Peter proud of her self-restraint. “Start with that.”

“Yeah, of course I have views, but what would your boyfriend here know about that?”

“Peter, my friend,” Clare said, emphasising the word, “has a son your age.”

“You do not!”

Lucy whirled on Peter looking accusatory. Clare smiled in a satisfied sort of way.

“Well, I’ll see you both soon,” she said, laughing at the look Peter threw her. “Have a good time, you two! Don’t burn the place down, and try not to kill one another.”

“Same goes for you and Julie,” Peter retorted, and she rolled her eyes.

“Okay … bye,” she said, coming over and pulling him into a hug for a few moments. For once, thankfully, Lucy didn’t wolf-whistle or laugh or do anything to ruin the moment.

“I’ll see you soon,” Clare said into his ear. He nodded, and she kissed him swiftly on the cheek, before smiling once more at Lucy and heading out. Peter sighed internally as the door banged shut.

“Wow,” Lucy said, and her voice was low. “You really care about her, don’t you?”

“We both told you already, there’s nothing –” Peter started, but she cut him off.

“No, none of that rubbish,” she said, seeming serious. “I know you don’t want to tell me, but you should want to, because I know her pretty well and I can help.”

“I reckon I know her pretty well, Lucy,” he replied, and she grinned.

“I’m sure you do!” she teased him, snapping back into ‘niece-from-hell’ mode.

“You know, I almost thought we were going to have a serious conversation there.”

“Dodged that bullet!” was her reply, followed by a fit of giggles. “Anyway, back to what’s important!”

“Which is what exactly?” he asked, following her into the living room.

“Your son,” she said sitting down. “Does he have a name?” Peter laughed and sat on the couch opposite her, moving a pile of newspapers out of his way. What a tip!

“Drew Curtis,” he informed her, grinning. “I reckon you two would get on well.”

“Why, does he drive you crazy too?” asked Lucy, laughing at her own joke.

“Sometimes, he does. But he’s a lot like you – he’s stubborn, he likes to wind me up, he’s headstrong, and God knows, when he gets hold of an idea … he’s just like you, actually.”

“Hmm …” Lucy let out a childish giggle and glanced around the room. “Is he cute?”

Lol enjoy everyone! :D

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Great update! :)

That was cute how Pete said he was going to miss Clare. Lucy is very cool. I like how she's picked up on their chemistry and it's great to see Clare and Peter's reactions to her comments!

oooh, so are you bringing Drew into the story? I can just picture them all out on a double date lol. :P

Brilliant writing too!

Lmao well Lucy and Drew may meet at some point, I promise no dates :ph34r:

As for Lucy with Peter and Clare, the idea is that their relationship is quite stressful and serious, so she's there for comic relief purposes :P

Well, that's her purpose for now anyway :ph34r:

Thanks very much for the comment Adia - it's nice to know people enjoy my writing :)

I honestly hate giving a reply to this fic!

Its that good and well...... I just don't know how many more words to compliment this fic I can think off!!!!!

Ali its amazing, spiging excellent, tranfigitastic!!! (Don't know if thats even a word lol!)

Go Lucy show Pete who's boss!!!! :wub: Petey

Lmao nice one Lil :P

Dont know if it is a word, but it should be!! :lol:

Thanks very much lol *blushes* you're far too kind!

Lucy isn't going to be behaving herself very much :ph34r: as you've already figured out lol!!

Shall update soon - doubt it'll be tonight, but probably early-ish tomorrow :)

Thanks again everyone who comments :D

Archived