Behind Closed Doors

Guest allibaz91

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 17

It wasn’t until the sun crept over the hills and shone through the slats of the half-open blinds early the next morning, that Peter began to stir. He blinked a few times, and then looked down. Clare was still asleep; lying there breathing peacefully with her arms around him and her head on his shoulder. He smiled happily, and caressed her soft blonde hair, holding her close. He didn’t want to wake her up.

But, as with all the best things in life, the moment ended far too soon. Clare stirred a little in his arms, and after a few more minutes she opened her beautiful brown eyes, looking around. She then looked up at him and smiled widely, and he kissed her forehead.

“Morning,” he said quietly, still not loosening his grip on her. She sighed contentedly.

“Morning,” she replied, and much to his discontent, she sat up, and he was forced to let her go. She stretched widely and brushed her hair back out of her face, yawning.

“What time is it?” she asked him, glancing out of the window and screwing up her eyes against the blinding morning sun.

“Just after six,” Peter said regretfully. They could’ve lain there for hours yet – it was barely even day. He didn’t remember the last time he’d been up at six in the morning!

“Oh … well, I guess I’d better tidy some of this stuff up, then. Look at the mess we made!”

“Hey, I’m not the one who didn’t want to clear it up last night,” he reminded her, probably a little more snappily than he’d intended. He hated that things were going so well and then she was going to leave again – only for a few days, but he could tell already that those few days would be some of the longest of his life.

She seemed to sense something wrong with him, as she looked concerned. She moved over to him, and slipped her arms around his waist, looking into his eyes.

“Have I done something to upset you?” she asked him, looking upset. He sighed heavily and pulled her closer, smoothing down her somewhat tousled hair with one hand.

“No, it’s not that,” he said honestly. “It’s just … I don’t know what I’m going to do when you leave, for this girls’ weekend thing. I miss you already.” She bit her lip, smiling but looking sad at the same time. She kissed him tenderly for just a moment.

“Do you want me to stay?” she asked, looking worried. He smiled wanly.

“No. I mean, yeah, I want you around, but I don’t want you to miss this just because of me. This’ll be good for you – and I’m being selfish. I can live without you for a few days, just about,” he joked, trying to lighten the mood. It didn’t really work.

“Yeah, sure,” she said, also forcing a smile. “You know, I … I’m going to miss you too. I don’t really want to leave you here alone, I just … I’m so torn, you know?”

“Don’t worry about it,” he said, kissing her head, feeling bad for upsetting her. “I want you to go and have a good time. Just as long as you come back.”

“Wild horses couldn’t keep me away from you,” Clare laughed, and kissed him again.

His heart leapt – she hadn’t said ‘here,’ she had said him. She really did still care for him – she wanted to be around him. Maybe a few days apart wouldn’t be the end of the world.

“Well, then, it should be … manageable,” he said, half-smiling. She also smiled, and pulled slowly – and somewhat hesitantly, he thought – out of his embrace.

“Well, uh … I guess I’d better clear this mess away,” she said, clearing her throat.

“Let me help you with that,” Peter offered, making to pick up some empty glasses, but she grabbed them out of his hands and shot him a look.

“No, you are going back to bed,” she informed him. He raised his eyebrows, indignant.

“I’ve slept through the night,” he reminded her. “And I feel fine, honestly.”

“Don’t care.” Clare spun him towards the stairs and gave him a gentle shove. “Get going, now. I’ll come up and see you once I’ve tidied up a bit down here.”

“You’d better,” he said jokingly. She grinned as though she couldn’t help it, and sent him on his way. At the top of the stairs he turned to look at her, and she was humming as she cleared up. He smiled to himself, and went into the bedroom, his heart lighter than it had been in a long time.

Enjoy! :D

Well Lil, you're the only one who seems to want it, but seeing as I still have a faithful reader I shall post this chapter at least :P

Introduction of your favourite character lol! :D

Chapter 18

“Pete? Pete!” Peter awoke the next morning to find, to his surprise, not Clare leaning over his bed, but a girl about Drew’s age with long blonde hair and a cheeky smile. A smile not completely dissimilar to her aunt’s, come to think of it. He sat up stiffly – the night on the couch had been great, but bad for his posture. He grinned, shaking himself.

“All right, Lucy?”

“Fine thanks,” she replied coolly, sitting down without invitation on the side of his bed.

“Have a seat, why don’t you,” he joked, sitting up properly and surveying her. She had grown up a lot since he had last seen her – she looked a lot like Clare had in her youth.

“I thought I had?” was her response as she flipped her hair. “So. Word on the street is, you’re getting me for company next week. Should be fun, huh, Uncle Pete?”

“I’m not your uncle,” he said almost mechanically – they had used to have this argument every day when he and Clare were together. “And, come again?!”

“You haven’t heard?” she smirked. “My mother and Clare are heading off to some spa, and apparently, we’re not invited. So instead I’ve to stay here with you ‘til they get back.”

“Uh, I never agreed to that!” Peter said indignantly. Lucy just giggled at his expression.

“I know,” she informed him. “Clare says there’s no way she’s leaving you here alone, and my mother doesn’t think I can be trusted, so we’re to baby-sit each other, apparently.”

“I am not a child,” he replied. “I don’t think I need looking after.”

“Hey, join the club, mate,” she said cheekily. “But like it or not you’re stuck with me.”

“And if I refuse?”

“Then you’ll have to deal with me,” Clare answered for Lucy, entering the room with a smile on her face. “And we both know you don’t want that to happen.”

“God forbid,” he joked, smiling warmly. She also smiled and sat down on the bed, forcing Lucy to move up a little. Clare felt Peter’s forehead concernedly.

“You know, I think you’re burning up again,” she said. “How do you feel?”

“Annoyed,” was his response. “But otherwise okay, I guess. What’s this plan about?”

“You’ve slept right through the morning – it’s after two.” Clare ignored his question, causing Lucy to go into fits of giggles.

“You’re not getting out of this one, Uncle Pete,” she teased him, sticking out her tongue.

“I’m not your uncle,” Peter said instantly. It was frightening, because in the exact same moment, Clare said: “He’s not your uncle.” Then all three of them burst out laughing.

“God, anyone would think you two were still together,” Lucy commented, causing her aunt to exchange a nervous and furtive glance with Peter. He cleared his throat.

“What gave you that idea?” he asked innocently. Lucy’s eyes widened and she gasped.

“No freaking way!” she exclaimed excitedly. “You guys are a couple again?!”

“He never said that,” Clare pointed out casually. She was a much better liar than him.

“He didn’t have to,” Lucy retorted. “You are, aren’t you?”

Clare coughed slightly, and Peter could feel his cheeks reddening. Lucy let out a loud giggle of glee, clapping her hands together and grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

“Oh, this is too perfect!” she purred. “Beauty and the Beast, right Uncle Pete?”

“Not your uncle,” Clare said, beating Peter to it for once. “And nobody said a word.”

“As if your facial expressions didn’t say it all!” scoffed the niece-from-hell; Peter’s new nickname for her, he decided then and there. And he had thought Drew was bad!

“I’m going to go see if Julie wants something to eat,” Clare said. “Come on, Luce.”

“Be right there,” said Lucy sweetly. Clare shot Peter an exasperated look, which he didn’t hesitate in returning, as she left the room. Lucy whirled on Peter.

“Oh, what now?!” he asked defensively, although he couldn’t help but laugh.

“This is how it’s going to work,” she told him, smirking. “I don’t tell my mother about you guys, and you don’t treat me like a baby when I’m staying here. I don’t care if you have to like, be a good guardian or whatever, but she treats me like a five-year-old.”

“Trust me, I am well aware how old you are,” Peter told her, thinking of his son.

“Then we’ll have a great time! See you soon uncle Pete!”

“I’m not your uncle!” Peter shouted after her as the door banged closed, and he heard her giggling on her way down the stairs. He laughed to himself as he slumped back against the pillows. He should probably go downstairs, but he had had quite enough of the Brody girls for now. Once Julie and Lucy were away he’d go see Clare – she was sane enough. ‘What would happen if Drew ever met Lucy?’ he wondered. Now that would be an interesting encounter and no mistake! He heard Lucy whooping loudly with laughter downstairs, and groaned aloud. He was expected to look after her next week?! That ought to be fun, he thought to himself, drifting back into an uneasy sleep …

Enjoy ..... Lil! :P

The niece from hell indeed. I completely agree with Pete.

Loved how she called him uncle. She's such a sharp kid.

I love the chapter before this one. Sorry I'm so late, Ali.... Uni started so there goes all my free time. :lol:

Pete/Clare are just too cute.

Great updates!

You’re not getting out of this one, Uncle Pete,” she teased him, sticking out her tongue.

“I’m not your uncle,” Peter said instantly. It was frightening, because in the exact same moment, Clare said: “He’s not your uncle.”

^That was funny, I could actually picture it.

Awww, I really love the way he cares about Clare. It's cute and it's nice and its... Pete :wub:

Can't wait to see where this goes!

Lol I was only winding you all up about not replying :rolleyes: but thanks anyway lol Chrissie! :D

Thanks once again for everyone's lovely comments lol, you're all so nice! :D

Lol hope the chapters get a bit funnier as time goes on, I'm working on that, promise! :lol:

Archived