Doctor Who

Guest *belle*

Unfortunately I was watching from behind my laptop and missed quite a lot of the scary bits :lol: So are the angels actors in costumes? Or cleverly made polystyrene statues?

Yes, the angels are played by actors.That surprised me when I first heard it, a friend mentioned how freaked out he was when he saw behinds the scenes footage of the actors moving around in full costume.They do look an awful lot like statues.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doctor Who actress Elisabeth Sladen dies aged 63

Elisabeth Sladen originally starred in Doctor Who for three years in the 1970s

Doctor Who star Elisabeth Sladen, who was also in spin-off series The Sarah Jane Adventures, has died aged 63.

Sladen appeared as Doctor Who assistant Sarah Jane Smith in the BBC television sci-fi series between 1973 and 1976 opposite Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.

In more recent times the Liverpool-born actress went on to appear in four series of The Sarah Jane Adventures on children's channel CBBC.

BBC entertainment reporter Lizo Mzimba said she had had cancer for some time.

Sladen first appeared as Sarah Jane alongside the third Doctor, Jon Pertwee, and stayed for three-and-a-half seasons, also working with the fourth Doctor, Tom Baker.

She returned to the role on several occasions over the years and was given her own spin-off series on children's channel CBBC in 2007, The Sarah Jane Adventures, on which she appeared with new Doctors David Tennant and Matt Smith.

A BBC spokesman said: "It is with much sadness that we can announce Elisabeth Sladen, the much-loved actress best known for her role as Sarah Jane Smith in Doctor Who and CBBC's The Sarah Jane Adventures, passed away this morning. She was 63."

-----

I am so devasted to hear this. I had no idea she was suffering from cancer. My thoughts are with her family :(

May she Rest In Peace :(

Doctor Who actress Elisabeth Sladen dies aged 63

Elisabeth Sladen originally starred in Doctor Who for three years in the 1970s

Doctor Who star Elisabeth Sladen, who was also in spin-off series The Sarah Jane Adventures, has died aged 63.

Sladen appeared as Doctor Who assistant Sarah Jane Smith in the BBC television sci-fi series between 1973 and 1976 opposite Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.

In more recent times the Liverpool-born actress went on to appear in four series of The Sarah Jane Adventures on children's channel CBBC.

BBC entertainment reporter Lizo Mzimba said she had had cancer for some time.

Sladen first appeared as Sarah Jane alongside the third Doctor, Jon Pertwee, and stayed for three-and-a-half seasons, also working with the fourth Doctor, Tom Baker.

She returned to the role on several occasions over the years and was given her own spin-off series on children's channel CBBC in 2007, The Sarah Jane Adventures, on which she appeared with new Doctors David Tennant and Matt Smith.

A BBC spokesman said: "It is with much sadness that we can announce Elisabeth Sladen, the much-loved actress best known for her role as Sarah Jane Smith in Doctor Who and CBBC's The Sarah Jane Adventures, passed away this morning. She was 63."

I found this out while sitting in a room with five other Doctor Who fans, three of whom got texts about it simultaneously.The rest of the evening passed in a subdued atmosphere.Hell of a thing to happen just before the new series starts.With her and Nick Courtney going in such a short space of time, they've got to have some sort of dedication.

It's very tragic news. 63 is too young. The Brig and Sarah Jane in the space of a few months :(. 2011 isn't being very kind to Whovians.

I am so sad. Such a big DW and SJA fan. She will be missed and there will be a dedication to her on Saturday

I read that earlier. It's just natural. Lis made such an impact on Doctor Who. She defined the companion.

As my Twitter feed from today can confirm, I'm still devastated, being the huge DW fan I am. It's just so sad :(.

EDIT: The Newsround tributes from children are enough to make me want to cry. http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_9...000/9463099.stm

I read that earlier. It's just natural. Lis made such an impact on Doctor Who. She defined the companion.

As my Twitter feed from today can confirm, I'm still devastated, being the huge DW fan I am. It's just so sad :(.

EDIT: The Newsround tributes from children are enough to make me want to cry. http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_9...000/9463099.stm

I echo that :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well, new series and having seen the opening two-parter it's looking pretty good.We get a nice tribute to Lis at the start and then we're off!

And...

the Doctor's

dead.Kind of.

For all the insistence both on and off screen that "That really was the Doctor and he really is dead", hard to be that bothered when he's still around and it's not even happening in the near future, relatively speaking.Also, if it does come true that means the show will end when Matt Smith leaves, so there'll probably be a get out clause in the end.

The Silence!At last.Pretty creepy.And obviously a lot more going on with them than might first appear, such as why did they seem so interested in Amy?The Doctor's final gambit was Steven Moffat at his best:It's a feature of his stories that the Doctor triumphs by out-thinking his opponents, whereas Russell T.Davies had an unfortunate tendency to have him win by happenstance or by standing around and letting someone else beat the monsters or by violence-that-doesn't-count("I'm not going to kill you, I'm going to shoot you with a device that'll make you want to commit suicide...").Although...given that there was still a Silence around in 2011, it seems likely the revolution isn't going to be entirely successful.

The use of President Nixon as a running gag, with the typical presidential anthem accompanying his entrances, worked well, especially when he appears out of nowhere for the second time and starts giving exactly the same speech.The Doctor taking charge of the Oval Office was classic and his "Say hi to David Frost for me" a brilliant parting line.

And then that last scene...oh my god.There seems to be a strong indication the little girl is Amy's daughter, hence the photograph and the fact she seemingly both is and isn't pregnant.(Temporal flux? And if three months passed between episodes, how far along would she be?)But that final scene...My first thought was "Is she going to kill that guy?"Then suddenly it was "

Hang on, is she regenerating

?!"

Can't wait to find out the answer to that one...

Archived