• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ Thanks Zetti!

I decided to write one more tutorial.

This is what we are going to do:

results-1.png

Step 1

Take your cap and crop it. Then duplicate the base and put it on screen enough times. With my cap, I did it three times.

step1-26.png

Step 2

Make a new color fill layer, (layer>new fill layer>solid color). Fill it with the color #fff200 and put it on the blending mode Soft Light. This will make our base a lot easier to work with.

step2-25.png

Step 3

Time to remove all the yellow that we don't want in our avatar. So create a new selective color layer (layer>new adjustment layer>selective color). Use these settings:

Reds: -67 | +15 | -12 | +8

Yellows: +15 | +20 | -45 | 0

Greens: +25 | +23 | 0 | 0

Cyans: +100 | 0 | +33 | 0

Neutrals: +20 | -11 | +57 | 0

step3-23.png

Step 4

That's what I call a strange coloring, but it's kind of interesting. Anyway, I wanted to be a bit darker and bolder so I added a new color fill layer (layer>new fill layer>solid color). I filled it with the color #361904 and then I put this layer on Exclusion 100%.

step4-23.png

Step 5

I want it to be a bit warmer so I made a channel mixer layer (layer>new adjustment layer>channel mixer). Use these settings:

Red: +97 | 0 | 0 | 0

Let the others be.

step5-23.png

Step 6

Not that much different from the one in step 4, but it's something there, trust me. Anyway to bring up the colors, I added a hue/saturation layer, (layer>new adjustment layer>hue/saturation). Use these settings:

Master saturation +25

step6-17.png

Step 7

Now I want warmer colors and some depth, so I added a color balance layer, (layer>new adjustment layer>color balance). Use these settings:

Midtones: +100 | 0 | +22

And you are done :D

results-1.png

As requested

How to make this colouring : 16-23.jpg

It's the original base colouring so the actual av's I made might come out slightly different depending on how I played around with settings:

Step one

Take your base and crop it, duplicate the layer and set it to screen:

1Dup.jpg

Step two

Create a new levels layer Layer>New Adjustment layer>Levels and put in the settings in the input levels - 27 1.85 255

2Lev.jpg

Step three

Create a new fill layer and fill it with #CCFFFF set it to colour burn, 100% opacity

3bue.jpg

Step four

Create a new selective colour layer. Layer>New Adjustment layer>Selective colour and fill it with the following settings

Reds -100 / 0 / -80 / 0

Yellow -30 / 0 / -53 / 0

Green 100 / 100 / -100 / 100

Magenta -100 / 100 / -100 / 100

Whites 100 / 0 / -40 / 0

4Sel.jpg

Step five

Create a new Hue/Saturation Layer. Layer>New adjustment layer>Hue/Saturation and fill with the following:

Master - 0 / 24 / 0

5Hue.jpg

I'm not very good at tutorials so if anything is confusing just tell me, or if I've missed something out or if yours comes out completely different ;)

Ah, yes, I was looking for a tutrorial on that a few weeks ago too, and I found a few on an lj site, but i didnt save the page, I'll see if i can find it, if not i'd be happy the write a tutorial/guidelines for making artwork with CSI:M caps because I make a lot of it myself :)

Looks like the tutorial translated somewhat okay though, I was worried about that, but I can definitely see that it's the effect I'm talking about. I'm almost regretting letting you in on this secret now, knowing how good you are you're probably going to out-do me with my own signature effect in a few days :P

Anyway, a little off topic, (bad mod) but could you just quickly drop by MSN, Emma?

Archived