Latest UK Episode Discussion (2006-2017 Seasons)

liam99998204

10 hours ago, harrietjames said:

A rape survivor who wishes they were dead, might disagree with you.

At the risk of being flippant (although it feels we're there already), I guess it would be a bit hard to ask a murder victim if they'd rather have been raped.

Alf's episode count this week:Five! Mason was only in one, although he was credited on Thursday for no appearance.

I'm still fully on Kat's side with regards testifying.People have died and if that lot are set free it'll just go on.Robbo's attempt to use Novak and Beckett's technology against them backfired as, of course, Novak knows just how to subvert it.Given how short that loop was, Robbo must have only been glancing at the feed and not stopping to ask why Kat's drinking so much tea.I was rather shocked to realise that was Murray that Novak had "taken care of": I'm assuming that means he's mostly all right, since it's hard to believe someone fairly prominent would be killed in a throwaway moment.

I found myself a bit annoyed with Leah's attitude to VJ.I mean, I'm kind of proud of him for finishing school, even if I wasn't a big fan of him going back, but Luc's going to be gone in a week.Presumably Ash will let them know where they are but VJ's going to see her a lot less.So I don't see the harm in letting him have this time with her and then go out and get drunk with his mates afterwards.Hunter wasn't particularly good as a shoulder to cry on, although it seems he made VJ feel better without even trying.(Or else he was just smiling at Hunter quoting the theme song.)Axel is clearly not a fan of Hunter and seems to want to keep him and Olivia apart as much as possible:Genuine opinion, personal reasons or does he think Hunter would be able to talk her out of the terms he's offering?

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

At the risk of being flippant (although it feels we're there already), I guess it would be a bit hard to ask a murder victim if they'd rather have been raped.

If you can find a statistically significant number of people who survived being shot or stabbed who says I would have rather been raped, I will retract my previous statement...

37 minutes ago, harrietjames said:

If you can find a statistically significant number of people who survived being shot or stabbed who says I would have rather been raped, I will retract my previous statement...

Well, that's the equivalent of someone who suffered a lesser sexual assault saying they wish they'd been murdered.You talk about "rape survivors" which, will all due respect to those concerned, sounds like a tautology since rape is a non-fatal crime.And yes, some of them may make emotional declarations about how they wish they were dead, but you might want to check the statistics as to how many of them recovered and went on to live out their lives.Someone who gets murdered doesn't have that opportunity.

On 26/01/2018 at 16:09, Slade said:

Yes I know I repeated what you said but it needed to be pointed out because it's central to my argument and by immediately dismissing the fact that H & A is a fictional program you are essential equating any comments posters make to actual people.  So if someone has a certain attitude towards a fictional character that must translate to how they would act towards a real person.  Negative!

I legit hate Ben’s character but I recently met the guy who plays him in real life and he was such a nice guy, the actor is a good guy, I just don’t like the character he plays :)

Rape survivors is the correct term, not rape victims. @Red Ranger 1 we're not going to agree on this topic, because your perspective is male and mine isn't.

If murder is worse than rape, why is the anger felt by both VJ and Ash worse toward Mick than John (before they realised that the tumour caused John to light the fires) when Mick raped Billie, not killed her?

@harrietjames Well that's kind of patronising. And also kind of contradictory, since you're then relying on a male perspective to prove your point.I'm not even sure it's accurate: VJ and especially Ash were both incandescent with rage towards John when they blamed him for Billie's death. If we're using Home and Away as an example, then murder is clearly a far worse crime than rape. Bianca was raped.She's currently living in the city with a husband and three children and working as a high school principal without any lasting effects.Charlie was murdered.She's currently rotting in a coffin.

45 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

@harrietjames Well that's kind of patronising. And also kind of contradictory, since you're then relying on a male perspective to prove your point.I'm not even sure it's accurate: VJ and especially Ash were both incandescent with rage towards John when they blamed him for Billie's death. If we're using Home and Away as an example, then murder is clearly a far worse crime than rape. Bianca was raped.She's currently living in the city with a husband and three children and working as a high school principal without any lasting effects.Charlie was murdered.She's currently rotting in a coffin.

It wasn't meant to be patronising, just highlighting a different perspective. Collectively speaking, women tend to fear rape more than men fear rape. If you don't live with that constant inherent fear of rape, then can't truly understand it. (That is, of course, not to dismiss the rape of males in any way) I did specifically choose a male perspective because I thought a male would better understand it.

They both got over their rage at John eventually, but I don't think they will ever get over their rage at Mick

While Charlie is still dead, her pain was over the second she lost consciousness after being shot, However Bianca had to endure the physical pain and emotional trauma. Just because she never mentions it doesn't mean it wouldn't still affect her.

Look at Aden - he was raped by his grandfather - but they dealt with it more realistically - it kept affecting him. He was always acting out. When he first started sleeping with Belle. The hostage situation and breakdown. Even his protectiveness to Joey after her rape.

They glossed over the aftermath of Bianca's rape they same way fast tracked Aden's grief over Belle - rushing into the next story line.

17 hours ago, c120701 said:

Do police cars have trackers in Australia? Or are we meant to assume that was disabled?

In reality, probably. They only work when it suits the story line to work....

7 minutes ago, harrietjames said:

They both got over their rage at John eventually, but I don't think they will ever get over their rage at Mick

True, but I think that's as much down to the person and the circumstances as it is the actual act involved.If Mick had gone to the gym and throttled Billie to death rather than raping her, I don't think VJ or Ash would ever have forgiven him for that either.Conversely, if John had raped Billie under the influence of a brain tumour, they may well have come to understand that he's a good person normally and wasn't himself at the time.

Archived