What is correct SPAG?

Guest MarMar

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon reckon is fine. I use it a lot anyway!

I'm aware I've waded into this thread a little late but I'm going to have my say on what has been said anyway.

Sarahandkatie I remember the first ever PM I got from a moderators. It told me my signature was six lines and asked me to correct it and I have to admit to being terrified that I'd done something wrong even though the PM was perfectly nice. Moderators in the very fact they have power can come across as really scary, unfriendly people. I use a similar PM to Si and I've never thought that it might scare a member off from asking for help but as you've said it does I'll probably now add a paragraph in along the lines of what you suggested to make it come across a little friendlier.

When I see a new member making several posts with the same poor SPAG I do tend to send out a rules PM similar to what Si uses or sometimes if I'm in a hurry a shortnened version just providing a link to the rules however it's very rare that I ever get a response and as a result when the member continues to post in the same fashion we end up issuing more PMs. Your comment has made me think that maybe I should encourage people to contact me in the PM and ask me for help, or tell me any problems they may have. I'd personally rather someone PM me back and say 'I struggle with the SPAG rule, is there any way you could help me edit my posts?' than to not reply at all. If a member did that they'd certainly receive no more rules or warning PMs from me and I'd do my best to look for their posts and help them to edit them and I'm sure the other mods are the same.

What I'm saying is we want people to tell us if they want our help but I completely take on board your point that we may seem unapproachable sometimes, I doubt any of us want to be seen that way, I certainly don't. I probably shouldn't but I do care what people think of me and if someone had an issue with me personally I'd like to hear it because I can't stop doing something if I'm not aware I'm doing it. (Please don't all bombard me at once :P)

With regards to the rule itself, unless a post is difficult to read or persistantly making the same mistakes I don't tend to issue a PM. As the other mods have said we're not looking for perfection, I'm certainly not perfect and as far as I'm concerned if somebody is making an effort, that's good enough for me. Spelling and general errors, I tend to overlook. Text speak is my pet hate, partly because I struggle to understand some of it but things like lol, btw etc, I don't pick up on because I use them myself. As Frankie said its 2moro, ur, b4 and things like that, that I'm likely to send a PM about.

Ki/Ki is Kit/Kim, KK is Kirsty/Kane I think. At least thats what a lot of the fanfic authors use. :wink:

When I first joined this board, I was not very active so SPAG wasnt something I was aware of. Nowadays I am on BTTB all the time so I am more involved and have got warnings for SPAG but like to think I am improving with SPAG.

My first PM was from Si saying that there were members of all ages so not to use text speak and welcome. Which help me because I was in the middle of writing my first post in the newbie thread like this:

hi im amy how u all? wat u at?

But I fixed it in time!

Archived