What is correct SPAG?

Guest MarMar

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say that shortening two people's names to one is one of my pet hates! i.e. Bareen, Panda, Drelle, etc. I first came across it a while ago on a One Tree Hill site where they were referring to Brooke and Lucas as Brucas, Haley and Nathan as Naley and Peyton and Lucas as Leyton and it irritated me instantly! :) I can't really explain why though, it's just one of them things. JM doesn't bother me but it doesn't really work with anyone else i.e. BI, TB, DL, KR, PA, DB, RM, etc. Actually KK kinda works because it's obvious.

What does ftw mean? :blink:

I didn't have a clue myself but I have just been reliably informed that it means 'For the Win'! :D

EDIT: You beat me to it Ryan!

^ But usaually when we used abbirvated stuff, its about couples, and on this board, for as far as I can remember, KK is referred to as Kirsty/Kane :)

Speaking of SPAG, are words that the poster had made up counted? like as long as readers know what it means. A few of the words i use on msn are like

Parentals (meaning parents)

Fantastical (meaning fantastic)

Would i be alloiwed to use those?

I think some people on this board, usually the younger ones, worry about correct SPAG too much because they lack confidence. To be honest, very few posters on this forum (including myself) use correct SPAG all the time. They're only small mistakes tho eg giving its an apostrophe when it doesn't need one or not spacing out paragraphs - and, in my case, preferring to spell "though" the American way! :rolleyes:

Like Frankie says, avoid textspeak. And you can get round invented words, or words you're not sure of, by giving them inverted commas eg "parentals". :)

Archived