My5 & 7+ 35th Anniversary Classic Episodes Discussion

James Martin

Well, I checked just before five o'clock and both 2015 and 2016 are on there, so it looks like they're definitely dropping two years a day this week. That's probably the best option: I didn't really fancy them ignoring the last five years and I definitely wasn't keen on the idea of having to fit in both an old episode and a new episode each day next week! 2015's episode is Episode 6196 (Baby Casey's birth) and, as already mentioned, it's the caravan park explosion from Episode 6415 for 2016. I think they did choose right in going for that rather than the aftermath, even if it does mean it's often an ordinary episode until the end: The aftermaths just tend to be a lot of people running about shouting.

One thing I've noticed these last few episodes is that, when you get characters appearing in four consecutive years, it does feel like the majority stick around longer than they used to! Maddy's been quite well represented, although we only saw her in the recap for the 2015 episode. Marilyn was irritating as ever. I had completely forgotten that John took Ricky to the hospital when she was in labour, which was as hilarious as it sounds. He was probably grateful to hand over to Denny, who was probably grateful to hand over to Kyle!

Josh, Andy and Oscar acting like the town sheriffs over Tank...boy, did karma hit them big time.When Andy asked Josh and Oscar what they meant by "We ran into Tank", the truthful answer would have been "He was sat on his own, minding his business, and we decided to march up to him and pick an argument." A reminder that, after a couple of years of being really annoying, Hannah suddenly became a fun, likable character just before they killed her off! Olivia was as annoying as I remember...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ricky mention at the end of the 2013 episode nicely tied in with the next two.

On 27/12/2022 at 18:52, Red Ranger 1 said:

One thing I've noticed these last few episodes is that, when you get characters appearing in four consecutive years, it does feel like the majority stick around longer than they used to!

Having watched the past few episodes it took me a minute watching the 2014 episode to realise that Evelyn wasn’t April.

I checked just after two o'clock and only the 2017 episode was there, so I guess the two episodes were dropped at different times.So, for 2017 we got Episode 6756 (Cabin Explosion) and for 2018 we got Episode 6910 (Brody and Ziggy's Wedding).

Slightly weird that some regulars haven't appeared at all, and then we get an episode with a large role for Scarlett, who was only there five minutes. To be honest, I was more pleased that we got an episode with Beth Ellis.A shame it was rather jarringly followed up by an episode of Mason chatting up Dempsey! Still, the poor guy deserves what little happiness he gets...

It's always weird to see a wedding that ended up not lasting.I wasn't even a big fan of Brody and Ziggy, but the show spent so much time pushing them as a together-forever golden couple that I've never really been able to take their attempt to do it with Dean seriously.

Brody showing off his kitchen expertise in the 2017 episode was demonstrated by him taking his hands out of raw mince and grabbing the coriander without washing them first. I wonder when the Diner started making their own burgers as I doubt Ailsa & Bobby ever did that.

Seeing Beth and Mason in the hospital having just watched Denny and Kyle in the same set really reminded me how some of these characters are so interchangeable. 

It’s also fun to spot the names moving from cast to crew credits, Danny Raco, Cameron Welsh, Sebastian Elmaloglou, Laura Vasquez…

Today's episodes: Episode 7041(Willow is Shot/Season Premiere)for 2019 and Episode 7366(Paratas' Tribute to Mikaere)for 2020. Neither an obvious choice but they worked, if only to remind us that Colby was an awful person and Nikau has always been an annoying wet blanket. Still, I was glad to see Bella, one of my favourite characters of recent years, showcased, even if she did have to share scenes with energy-draining Nikau. The lead-up to Ben and Maggie's farewell (two episodes later) probably had more of an impact than the Paratas' drama, although it is nice that the show includes these cultural touches.

Non-specific spoiler for 2023:

Spoiler

Aside from actors confirmed as leaving, who possibly weren't around when they were shot, Ethan Browne is one of the few members of the cast not to have done an intro: This one seemed tailor made for him but nope.

Archived