2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Ryder is definitely having trouble juggling his harem, as Raffy and Coco take it in turns to be odd one out while fourth wheel Bella (who is definitely more than a brief acquaintance of Raffy's, certainly enough for Raffy not to call her "that girl") stirs the pot.(Incidentally, it was a bit odd that we went from Colby insisting Bella stay to help with wedding arrangements to Bella just wandering into the surf club!)Raffy's comment that she isn't old enough to drive seems to indicate she's still 15 (despite being 15 over a year ago), although since Ryder and Coco seem to be 18 and 17 respectively I guess they've waited a bit? I did appreciate the little bit of Alf saying he's done his best to forget his time in the armed forces: The show has seemed a bit too much like an army recruitment film at times during this Jett storyline.

Colby really isn't doing a good job giving Bella stability, constantly changing the goal posts about her home and education, letting her get settled and then deciding to uproot her again.And in the midst of this we have Ross.Again, for someone who's been in hiding for six years, he doesn't seem to have led that rustic or isolated existence, since he seems to have a flat handy.(I think, it was hard to tell where he was meant to be.It might have been a hotel room but looked a bit too plush for the motel, there seemed to be a corridor outside.)If they're trying to build him up as the big threat for finale week...I'm not really feeling it at the moment.They're basically relying on off screen villainy but on screen he seems...kind of cute? To my middle-aged eyes, he doesn't look much older than Colby, and his grabbing Bella definitely felt like a parallel of Colby doing the same. His looking at photos of his (seemingly happy) daughter on his phone was presumably meant to be creepy but actually seemed quite tragic and sympathetic.And him practising tough guy expressions in the mirror felt more like something Dean would do!

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to be at least 16 if I read the info right and according to Raffy's profile she will be 16 in June - if that is to be believed of course.  Different states have different minimum ages.  So Ryder is behind the game there, guess it's never occurred to him before. All very well Alf saying he had already learnt to drive and had his own car by the time he was 18, without seeming ancient things were a lot different back then in the late 50's, less traffic for a start. It appears then that the plan to get the gang of three together on  a joint project backfired as the wrong one, Raffy, is feeling left out. though, realistically, there is not reason why she shouldn't at least get to know the theory side of learning to drive.   She was right about her not being able to drive proper until she has been seizure free for a year but no reason why she can't get behind a wheel if using a car on private land - is there?  That way she would be well prepared for driving on 'real' roads which can be quite scary when you head off  out on your first lesson.

Very awkward moment for Raffy & Ryder when they walked into the Surf club, but they did stop their snogathon when they saw Coco, although Bella rocked up to make a foursome they were still uneasy round each other, Ryder & Raffy trying to act normal and not doing a good job of it.  Bella's lack of social skills came in handy kind of by just stating the obvious where others would have held back.  it is only early days for Coco to see Ryder & Raffy as a couple so she is bound to still feel left out.

Must be something John could get involved in so he feels he's supporting Jett if he feels that strongly or is it because he's feeling his age.

Colby & SG were making so many changes, we're going, we're staying, we're going it was making me dizzy. Not only mucking Bella about but Maggie as well after she pulled strings to get the bridging learning course sorted so Bella could join Year 11 when she started school in the city then he drops the bombshell they aren't going for a couple of months so she offers to tutor Bella. He assures her he won't be moving the goalposts but then SG gets the news about her detective course which starts in a couple of weeks so now he'll have to break the news to Maggie that they will be going.:rolleyes:  She didn't say as much but I got the idea Bella and Ross had been on the move a lot which would explain why she was so against being dragged off to the city just as she was settling into the bay and making friends which I'm also guessing Ross didn't encourage.

Finally he speaks - Ross that is!   I thought it was that motel just a different room.  I did :rolleyes: when he looked at the paper and there he was on the front page yet obviously able to wander around quite freely and if it was the motel they clearly don't read the local paper, usual case of Yabbie Creek police not being alert as they should be.  Looks can be deceptive Red so perhaps that's the idea behind his not so bad guy persona, I thought he was considering shaving off his beard to change his appearance. I agree in those two photos we saw of Bella taken by Ross she did look happy but he did kill her mum and keep her isolated for five years.

Talking of Dean I don't think Willow was doing it deliberately but her talking about when they were young she had a crush on him and wanted him to notice her was helping him not to start to fancy her again, then linking her arm through his.

Oops - SG saying at the beginning she knew everything would be fine on their wedding day - kiss of death right there love!  This is of course before anyone knew it's going to be today.  I'm guessing they have the notice of intended marriage form already so no obstacle in the way, apart from finding a celebrant at short notice.   If she passes her detective exams she'll outrank Colby!

Frankly, ages on profiles should be taken with a pinch of salt because the on-screen ages change all the time and if you are going to include something like that, you really should include all the information instead of trying to make out one of the many DOBs given is the One True Age of a character: Raffy was said to be 15 long before June last year and indeed long before this time last year.(Incidentally, most recent ages would mean Alf was 18 in the 60s!)

Interesting characterisation of Bella.As much as she enjoys being back with Colby and the others, she did spend six (sixteen?) mostly happy years with Ross and she doesn't want anything bad to happen to him.It did feel like Ross could have snatched her fairly easily if he wanted to, but either way it seems he hasn't given up.Not really clear what that piece of paper that so interested him was.Seems there's three bedrooms in Irene's house at the moment if Willow and Bella would have to share.Oh, and the fact that Heath and Bianca had a girl just gets dropped in! So Chelsea's coming back to a River Boy wedding...

I was a bit annoyed with Alf for ordering Ryder to go along to the driving test, since Coco had just been unnecessarily rude about Raffy and I could understand Ryder not wanting to be around her.Fortunately, by the time they got back Raffy had come around, thanks to one of those lovely Mason/Raffy chats that we really should have had more of when they were living together.I did like though that we learned Raffy still has a key and it's kind of her home as well.Mason warning Ryder did make me smile a bit, and to be fair most people would be a bit concerned about their maybe-15-year-old sister dating an 18-year-old (and it's the first time one of the Morgans has really had a chance to react to the fact), but Ryder's pretty inexperienced so it's not really an issue.But Orpheus does need to learn to play these heavy brother moments more lightly (as James Stewart has started doing recently) because it's things like this that mean there's still a fair number of people that don't like Mason.

It does did get confusing with ages Red I agree, but they way they were all talking it seems Raffy is still not old enough to drive.  I liked that talk between Mason & Raffy, who despite his own problems  gave her a much needed boost she has a year (?) to prepare.  Mason was right she has been seizure free and hasn't had any mood swings since she has started on her new meds so fingers crossed.  Cheered her up even more when he said she'd have her own personal chauffeur. Good to see her back at the Morgan's even if it was just to talk to Buddy, didn't see any sign of chains either or a tag so Marilyn could track her.      Great that both Coco & Ryder passed, though Ben looked  a bit pale and went even paler when he thought about the insurance. 

Says on Alf's profile he was born in 1946 which would be right-ish.

Sweet that big brother warning Mason gave Ryder "Remember you are 18, she isn't".   Don't forget Ryder & Coco nearly went there but both decided neither  of them were ready, just as well seeing they broke up later. Haven't we been there before with VJ and Coco?

Bizarrely someone who has been through what Bella has  who has been being mentally/emotionally abused for (six years) in her case can still have a part of them that loves the abusive parent.  She may not want anything more to do with him but she doesn't want him to go to prison. Didn't take him long to try his mind games on her by trying to tell her it was Colby who getting into her mind, well he would think like that, it's what he has been doing.  Shook him a bit when Bella told him about the tape and the fact the police found Michelle's body - accident yeh right -  but soon recovered himself.  I know that isn't the most popular part of the beach but seriously no-one else about at all!:rolleyes: Then  on the wedding day he's standing on the  beach - deserted again -  looking out to sea.  She would have been torn as whether to tell Colby or not but she is old enough now to make her own mind up and could you have imagined the turmoil that would have caused. I think she just wanted Colby to concentrate on his wedding. Ross seemed to take the news she wasn't going with him well, too well as it transpired.  He certainly isn't your normal mindless thug, he's coming across as quite cunning.  Unless Colby & co left their door open, perish the thought, he must have broken in, I think it was the wedding day plans.:unsure:

Have to say Dean really scrubs up well, he looked good in that suit.:blush: If that was right he organised the wedding day seems he didn't do a bad job so far. Showing again he is sometimes wiser than he comes across he nudged Willow into the right direction by giving Jason a proper answer as to whether  they were still a couple or not following their break - God I hate that phrase - they're not on holiday, they are on a temporary separation. Mind you he does has an ulterior motive.  Hurt Jas but better he knows than just keep on hoping, apart from the passionate side of their relationship they didn't really fit as a couple and now they can stop avoiding each other.

Come on Robbo stop faffing about and ask her!:wub:  All the guys looked good in their suits. Bit unsure about the boots Bella was wearing with her dress but it seems what young folk do now.  Bound to be unsure about wearing make up, unlike most teenagers she would have access to it. Willow looked very Spanish in her dress and a not flashy but stylish dress for SG.

Nice to get a mention of Bianca and Heath-  a reformed ex River Boy -  so it does and can happen and that Irene was off to the christening of their daughter.  Her not being there meant the girls (apart from Bella) could have a drink or six.

What in the name of all that's Holy is Simone doing back and then her and Brody snogging each other's face off!:o

The wedding stuff was pretty bog standard and I still don’t find Colby the most engaging character: It almost feels like I know Chelsea or even Bella better despite them having been around for a fraction of the time. But oh well, it did give Chelsea some good moments, mostly the stuff with the other girls rather than acting against a fairly dull and annoying cop character and trying to make out he’s the love of her life. (Something Ashleigh Brewer’s had experienced of…) Her staying over at the beach house muddied the water of how many rooms there are even further, did someone use Irene’s room? (That seemed to be Olivia’s old room, which I’m guessing Bella slept in… Oh, what the heck, they just make this stuff up.) Someone obviously thought that that guy who’s been playing a dodgy type in Neighbours recently would make a perfect River Boy.

Willow finally properly calls time with Justin. I quite like the way he took the pressure off her by saying it himself, even if it then turns out he’s not as chilled as he claims. I think he’s right in that Dean isn’t that disappointed but I’m glad he accepted Dean does want her to be happy rather than kicking off. Odds seem to be leaning towards Mason sticking around at the gym for another year or so. I kind of wish Justin had stuck to not talking to Tori but at least he managed to point out that her problem isn’t going away. (Well, unless the implantation doesn’t take, I guess!)

Brody is playing with fire in inviting Simone back. Having help with the lunchtime rush isn’t worth it.

Yes, I noticed we seemed to have scenes in different order to the edited together Oz finale, I’m not even sure if the end of Wednesday’s episode was in the Oz version, they seemed to go straight to the wedding preceding the opening of today’s episode. (My summaries will have to go by the UK version, I’m afraid!)

Wow who would have thunked it Dean Thompson wedding planner and he did a damn fine job of it and got the thanks he deserved. Were we watching the same wedding Red, I thought it was great seen worse.  Simple and understated, he didn't have much time to sort it remember, but put together with love and care, even had the River Boys lending a hand and they behaved themselves. Didn't realise until Colby said it was at Mangrove River and for a place with such a bad rep it has some lovely river views. Maybe just as well SG's mum and dad didn't go would have been a  tad awkward to say the least. Everyone looked so relaxed and were certainly enjoying themselves after with the impromptu game of cricket, they even let the 'girlies' play,:D funny seeing Jasmine getting drunk and Robbo looked so relaxed and happy,  I would have liked to have been invited, then later dancing into the sunset. I think that is why it worked, it wasn't planned to death.  Said before but Dean did look scrummy in that suit.  Didn't notice on screen but in those photos Bella's dress was very see through.  

Not being a Neighbours watcher wouldn't know one of their characters from Adam (or Eve).

Seeing as anything to do with cooking is way out of Ziggy's comfort zone it was nice she offered to help Brody out as she blames herself for him being one staff member down, though we know better of course. :wink: She was disappointed Brody couldn't make it to the evening do but he's not just a chef it's his business.  Justin very wisely didn't go.  Of course it will have still hurt he and Willow have finished even if he did agree with her they weren't right together.  His remark to Brody about him being the only one who's relationship is working - if only he knew eh!

Hope Dean doesn't jump straight in there with Willow she needs time to get over Justin. 

Initially frosty talk between Justin & Tori, his comment about his problem is over but hers is on going was right.  Can, kind of, see her argument about still not having told Robbo as he seemed so happy and was planning to ask Jasmine to marry him so the timing wasn't right, but there will never be a right time. Bit too late for her to regret what she has done. Even if the implantation  does take no guarantee this pregnancy will go well so far only her, Leah and Justin know about it but if all goes OK she won't be able to keep it a secret for long.

Archived