Happy Birthday, Home and Away!

Matt

30th-23-lyrics.jpg

Today, the 17th January, marks 30 years since the first episode of the soap aired. 30 years of characters. 30 years of dramas. Explosions. Love triangles. Paternity sagas. Stalkers. We've seen the ups and the downs, the trials and the tribulations of 183 main characters since 1988, and now it's time to celebrate.

Not only are we celebrating the series' inception today, but it also marks the first day of material, especially dedicated to such a celebration. It won't come all at once - we've got several features planned behind-the-scenes to commemorate the occasion throughout the year, so be sure to check back.

Today, 17th January 2018, be sure to check back in at 11am AEDT (12am GMT) to see our first feature, where we take you on a journey of the show's history, complete with commentary from some very special people, involved in the show.

I'd like to say a huge thank you to those people involved, and to @Dan F.

And finally, to you, the fans. Without you, there wouldn't be a show, and nor would their be a site.

So, despite fear of this sounding like a speech, I'd like to ask you all to raise a glass.

Here's to 30 years of Home and Away!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still 16th Jan here in the UK but Oz is several hours into 17th January so H&A has reached its 30th birthday in Oz already. Happy 30th birthday H&A. From Tom and Pippa to Michael and Pippa, to Shane and Angel, pranksters like Lance and Martin and Damo and Shane to Jett and VJ. From Walter Bertram to Coco Astoni, the Bay has seen many residents since the Fletcher's and their mischievous foster children arrived in that bay.

Happy Birthday Home and Away! Thank you for creating my favourite ever characters and many years of enjoyment.

Thank you to Back to the Bay for all you do and look forward to the features throughout the year.

Happy Birthday, Home and Away! 

I am so proud to be a fan of this show which I had been watching since mid-2005/early 2006. :) I had enjoyed watching the storylines through the years so far. And I was so lucky I got to go to Palm Beach almost four years ago and met some of the H&A cast. I had written/completed 13 H&A fanfictions and am considering writing another one at the moment.

Congratulation to Home and Away on achieving this milestone.  30 years is a very long time for any TV show to run. 

It really is a tribute to the writers and producers and their ability to keep touch with the original premise and ethos of the show while continually recreating it to move with the times. The show's basis of families and fostering are timeless but the Australian society in which they are set has changed dramatically over those thirty years

I first started watching the show in the early 90's when it was the only subject a group of disadvantaged primary school students I was teaching were interested in enough to talk about.  It provided me with a vehicle for conversation which I could use to develop language, experience and writing.  In the process I became hooked.

Over the years there have been storylines I have loved and those I have shaken my head in despair over.  Despite all that I am a loyal fan of the show. 

Happy Birthday!!!  .May there be many more.!

Yet again happy 30th H&A today.

I always feel H&A belongs to a cluster of 3 soaps, the other 2 being Corrie and EE. All 3 soaps tend/tended to focus on working class people. Walford, Weatherfield and Summer Bay all were working class moderately run down areas (in 1988 they still were, in 2018 they are smarter and snazzier) when the 3 soaps begun and have never shied away from the gritty plots.

Archived