Happy Birthday, Home and Away!

Matt

16 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

In TV soap years, Home And Away would be about 150 or 200 human years. Well past its expiry date. How much longer do they have to keep dragging it on, and why can't they axe it and start a new series?

I understand you represent the older, jaded viewer and waved the white flag around '99 but as long as 5 and 7, sustain decent viewership in the UK and Oz, respectively, it's not going anywhere.

Even though the modern show is maddening, there are the odd patches of decency.

Besides, I don't wanna think of Ray, Lynne, Ada and Emily standing in the dole queue (unlikely but you get my drift)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In TV soap years, Home And Away would be about 150 or 200 human years. Well past its expiry date. How much longer do they have to keep dragging it on, and why can't they axe it and start a new series?

In TV soap years, where you've got Coronation Street clocking in 58 years, General Hospital at 55, Days of our Lives at 53, Emmerdale at 46, The Young and the Relentless at 45, EastEnders and Neighbours at 33, and the record-holder is Guiding Light with a whopping 72 years (admittedly with only 57 of them on television), Home and Away is barely middle-aged! If it still works, use it.

On 09/02/2018 at 05:55, Red Ranger 1 said:

In TV soap years, where you've got Coronation Street clocking in 58 years, General Hospital at 55, Days of our Lives at 53, Emmerdale at 46, The Young and the Relentless at 45, EastEnders and Neighbours at 33, and the record-holder is Guiding Light with a whopping 72 years (admittedly with only 57 of them on television), Home and Away is barely middle-aged! If it still works, use it.

Wow interesting 

• 2 weeks later...

I get your point. Other soaps have far outlived Home And Away (don't ask me why), but Can you imagine trying to watch the whole series of Guiding Light from beginning to end?

Coronation Street has outlived Crossroads,, (Take the) High Road, Brookside and Family Affairs.

The British soaps would be easiest to attempt to watch from start to present day as most of them were bi-weekly to start with as opposed to 5 nights (except for special circumstances. Hell, Hollyoaks was only WEEKLY (with the exception of its second ep which aired in the same week) until its second year

On 1/17/2018 at 00:17, Blaxland 89 said:

Would anyone else love a copy of that original poster for the series

There's a clean copy of it here

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/manly-daily/home-and-away-celebrates-30-years-at-sydneys-palm-beach/news-story/64809cf1e39afdf79d5cd3241807cc88

Along with some other interesting facts about the show like before they decided  on the name "Home and Away" an alternate name was "Refuge".

If you can't get the link above to work:

7a267611726d301ed351923a5144743b?width=3

Apparently Vanessa Downing  has good hair to surf in.

12 hours ago, Sally Keating said:

There's a clean copy of it here

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/manly-daily/home-and-away-celebrates-30-years-at-sydneys-palm-beach/news-story/64809cf1e39afdf79d5cd3241807cc88

Along with some other interesting facts about the show like before they decided  on the name "Home and Away" an alternate name was "Refuge".

The name "Home And Away" must have been chosen before September 1985, as I have done research on this, and in the Channel 7 photo archive of current and future TV projects, Home And Away appears in a album of publicity and production stills for Sep 1985. Alan Bateman must have initially decided on Refuge but then swiftly changed it to Home And Away. Bateman spent 3 years developing the pilot episode, doing research and all that jazz.

On 8.2.2018 at 04:24, Old H&A Fan said:

I hope it never gets axed, the show is still very good and it can live on for many years

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:58, Homeandawayfan. said:

The name "Home And Away" must have been chosen before September 1985, as I have done research on this, and in the Channel 7 photo archive of current and future TV projects, Home And Away appears in a album of publicity and production stills for Sep 1985. Alan Bateman must have initially decided on Refuge but then swiftly changed it to Home And Away. Bateman spent 3 years developing the pilot episode, doing research and all that jazz.

I guess it's possible they originally called it Home and Away, then switched to Refuge some time after 1985, then changed back to Home and Away, unless you've got references to it being called that throughout those 2+ years.

Archived