1996-1999 Storylines

Skylover

5 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Nice Michael got a mention in 2008 during the second Sally stabbing arc where Tom of all people mentioned him in Sal's vision

I don't remember that. Will have to go back and watch it. Never found it bizarre Tom talking about Pippa even though she was now Debra Lawrance. Odd thought.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, it was a cover-up (literally) ay? They did make a mistake having fake "Pippa" and should have had the Real Pippa right from the start. See? Now you know why I don't consider the blonde one the Real Pippa. They even went to the trouble of covering the "original Pippa" up in the props, as part of the great denial of her existence.

18 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

I always thought Dennis had had enough after 6yrs.

Nice Michael got a mention in 2008 during the second Sally stabbing arc where Tom of all people mentioned him in Sal's visionm

He got mentioned in 2007 too - in quite a powerful scene, I thought. It was when Brad and others were lost at sea and Pippa was trying to comfort Sally and she just shouted at her: "You always say everything's going to be OK - just like with Michael! But Michael wasn't OK, was he?" It was a really great scene / episode. It was also one of the few times from 2005 onwards where Sally and Irene appeared to be close like they used to be.

As to Dennis, I'm sure he was axed - but I don't think killing off Michael was necessarily a bad thing. I loved the storylines it opened up and, as much as I dislike mopy Pippa, at least she got some really solid development from 1996-1998 (probably more than during the entirety of the 90s up to that point).

19 hours ago, Skylover said:

I don't remember that. Will have to go back and watch it. Never found it bizarre Tom talking about Pippa even though she was now Debra Lawrance. Odd thought.

It's where he lists all the people waiting if Sally went upstairs (Bobby, Michael, Ailsa...) - I can't remember if it included Dale, I think it might have. She then asks "Flynn?"

I'm not sure why he didn't mention her mother, stepfather or gran, but I suppose we didn't know them.

I don't think  Dale was mentioned.

However, Flynn's picture was seen.

They could have at least had JMI return to do a voiceover or a flashback vision.

Diana Keating and her mother were seen in flashbacks prior to this but were not credited. I don't think Sally's stepfather Derek was seen during that.

God early 2008 was such a sweet period for H&A. Probably the most in touch with TEY since 2002.

21 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

So, it was a cover-up (literally) ay? They did make a mistake having fake "Pippa" and should have had the Real Pippa right from the start. See? Now you know why I don't consider the blonde one the Real Pippa. They even went to the trouble of covering the "original Pippa" up in the props, as part of the great denial of her existence.

Vanessa originated the role but quit after Roger left, so in steps Debra. However, both have subsequently been shown and heard in archive video and voice clips when required. #2855 for example. Besides Debra may have had other things on her plate at the time H&A was born. Also, Carol Willissee and Jackie "Susan Kennedy" Woodburne were potential candidates, but ultimately lost out to Vanessa.

It was kind of lazy, I will admit.

The only time I consider a recast "fake" is if it's a terrible temp job (Selina, Mitch, Ailsa in 1996 and 2000 respectively).

The next time they do photo shoot reunions (like they did with Ross, Nicole, Ryan and Norman and both Pippas) they should have Dennis pose with Vanessa and Debra pose with Roger :lol:

8 minutes ago, CaptainHulk said:

Vanessa originated the role but quit after Roger left, so in steps Debra. However, both have subsequently been shown and heard in archive video and voice clips when required. #2855 for example. Besides Debra may have had other things on her plate at the time H&A was born. Also, Carol Willissee and Jackie "Susan Kennedy" Woodburne were potential candidates, but ultimately lost out to Vanessa.

It was kind of lazy, I will admit.

The only time I consider a recast "fake" is if it's a terrible temp job (Selina, Mitch, Ailsa in 1996 and 2000 respectively).

The next time they do photo shoot reunions (like they did with Ross, Nicole, Ryan and Norman and both Pippas) they should have Dennis pose with Vanessa and Debra pose with Roger :lol:

Debra actually did try out for Pippa in 1987 and that's why Debra and Jackie return to try out when Vanessa quit in 1990 as they both shortlisted in 1987. 

^ Forgot that.

I guess if they like you, they'll call you back at a later date or cook up another role for you (I.e. Zac Drayson went out for The role of Tom Nash but lost out to Graeme Squires but was later cast as Will Smith)

Back to Pip, Producers thought they were slick sticking her in the back, barely visible working on dinner before Stevo walked up to her, when 7 had been promoting the headswap that weekend! :lol: Like we weren't to notice her being a foot taller and a hair colour change.. Ah, well, this was one of the better gambles that paid off.

Archived