1996-1999 Storylines

Skylover

Meanwhile across the state line, Neighbours was going through some restructuring of its own after a really rotten period (late '94-early '96) after network intervention, and sparked off a second golden age.(Arrival of Sarah, Return of Harold and Madge, grizzly deaths of Cody and Cheryl, Kennedys becoming the legends they are today)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CaptainHulk said:

Meanwhile across the state line, Neighbours was going through some restructuring of its own after a really rotten period (late '94-early '96) after network intervention, and sparked off a second golden age.(Arrival of Sarah, Return of Harold and Madge, grizzly deaths of Cody and Cheryl, Kennedys becoming the legends they are today)

And the man who did it? Scott Taylor - responsible for the 98/99 era on H&A

His work on Neighbours stood out a bit more to me. Gone were crap stories about Hannah Martin and 5th rate pop stars and garbage like Karl kidnapping Marlene's gnomes and here were stories like Darren struggling to go straight (sympathetic character before he became a cheat), surgery firebomb, Toadie having a higher IQ than expected ?, Helen's 2nd stroke.

9 hours ago, Skylover said:

Alternatively they could have kept Michael and taken on 1 more teen rather than the 3 they apparently replaced him with.

There were a few that left around then too apart from michael. Shane, Jack and Angel all leave relatively soon after.

5 hours ago, joany208121 said:

There were a few that left around then too apart from michael. Shane, Jack and Angel all leave relatively soon after.

You have to wonder why the budget wasn't there to keep Michael around, I'm not sure it was a question of budget, perhaps they just felt that Michael had run his course. The current cast bill can't be cheap with the actors who play Alf, Roo, Marilyn, Irene, Leah and John all having stuck around for quite a long time.

12 hours ago, Skylover said:

You have to wonder why the budget wasn't there to keep Michael around, I'm not sure it was a question of budget, perhaps they just felt that Michael had run his course. The current cast bill can't be cheap with the actors who play Alf, Roo, Marilyn, Irene, Leah and John all having stuck around for quite a long time.

Both the 1996 cast and the 2017 cast have 20 full time members (excluding Chris Fletcher and Duncan Stewart and Lucinda Patterson and Scarlett Snow)

Was there any reason for the speculation that Michael/Dennis was let go because of budget? 

29 minutes ago, joany208121 said:

Was there any reason for the speculation that Michael/Dennis was let go because of budget? 

I read in a thread on this site that he was axed to free up the budget for 3 teen characters, though I don't know where that information came from, I guess I should take it with a pinch of salt, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Archived